Ladies: Best Way To Approach You In The Gym?

Options

Replies

• LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That is one thing I have no plans to ever do...every girl in the gym looks downright angry and ready to bite every guy's face off if we so much as glance their way.

LOL! You must workout at the same gym I do.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If I were single and worked out at a normal gym, personally I wouldn't mind be approached.

Smile, say hi a couple of times. Ask "How are you?". Move on to small talk. Eventually say "Hey, would you want to go out sometime?". Same as any other place. Just be friendly and straight forward.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly acceptable to approach a girl who is in full make-up, hair done, matching outfit, and she's glancing around while casually RUNNING on a 3.5 setting on the treadmill. barely breaks a sweat, continues for 5 minutes, gets off, stretches for 25 minutes and then leaves.

THESE are the girls that are there to be hit on!!!

girls with serious sweat and a mission, you'd better not so much interrupt anything!!!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly acceptable to approach a girl who is in full make-up, hair done, matching outfit, and she's glancing around while casually RUNNING on a 3.5 setting on the treadmill. barely breaks a sweat, continues for 5 minutes, gets off, stretches for 25 minutes and then leaves.

girls with serious sweat and a mission, you'd better not so much interrupt anything!!!

those are the meanest looking girls....
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    nice shoes, wanna bone?

i don't get approached... ever.
    it wouldn't take much tbh.

on the other hand, i would assume trolling and not trust anything they say.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Guess I am the weird girl in the room because I don't mind at all if a guy comes up to talk to me at the gym. I like when they come to the machine next to me and just strike up conversation. To me it shows they are fearless. Sure you could wait till I leave the gym but to me that's creepy and I think you were too wussy to talk to me earlier.
    To prevent being rude just say "Hey, I don't mean to interrupt your workout, but I saw you from across the room and you caught my eye. You look like you are going strong in your workout, but I would love to hear from you." Slip me your number and tada! Not only have you energized my workout by making me feel all good on the inside, but I will call/text you haha.

Based on the way girls look at guys in the gym and threads like this....If I did that, most girls would change gym memberships, report me to the gym management, and then accuse me of being a sexual predator...and then come on MFP and complain about guys not approaching them.

:laugh: :laugh: It's funny cause it's true.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    One thing you do NOT do is ..... Ask some random person that you had seen talking to her; "Do you know her? Is she a cougar?" because the person you maybe asking could turn out to be that woman's 16 year old son!!!!
    True Story!!!! :huh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options

hahaha....So true!

I agree with the advice of a polite "bumping into" coming or going in the lobby type stuff, just not during the workout. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. It could be the only place he will be likely to see you and may just be a truly nice guy. No woman would want to miss out on that. Men, just don't be Creepy Creeper McCreeperton. And women, give them the benefit of the doubt and forgive the slight awkwardness. Who knows....If you are hot, sweaty, stinky, red, and look like death, and someone still wants to say "hi".......Well, just sayin' could be worth your time.
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    One thing you do NOT do is ..... Ask some random person that you had seen talking to her; "Do you know her? Is she a cougar?" because the person you maybe asking could turn out to be that woman's 16 year old son!!!!
    True Story!!!! :huh:
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He will never be the same again!!! Nor do I think he will ever go to the gym without make triple sure I will not be there at the same time as he is. Poor dude!!! However, I won't ever ever let him forget it, not ever....That's how I roll. LMAO!!
  • LovelyLathrop
    Options
    That is one thing I have no plans to ever do...every girl in the gym looks downright angry and ready to bite every guy's face off if we so much as glance their way.

Smart man right here! When I go to the gym, I mean business. I'm not there to chit chat, even if I find one of the men attractive. No thanks.. I like to keep the gym to strictly working out. That is why I go to a SMALL family owned gym rather than a huge franchise type gym. EX: 24 hour, Golds, etc.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I talk to the guys who ask to work in with me. Especially the ones with good form and nice deep squats :love:
  • naomiari
    naomiari Posts: 37
    Options
    Guess I am the weird girl in the room because I don't mind at all if a guy comes up to talk to me at the gym. I like when they come to the machine next to me and just strike up conversation. To me it shows they are fearless. Sure you could wait till I leave the gym but to me that's creepy and I think you were too wussy to talk to me earlier.
    To prevent being rude just say "Hey, I don't mean to interrupt your workout, but I saw you from across the room and you caught my eye. You look like you are going strong in your workout, but I would love to hear from you." Slip me your number and tada! Not only have you energized my workout by making me feel all good on the inside, but I will call/text you haha.

I agree
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    the first gym i evr went to was a body pump class back in england.

At frist i was very self contious and dis talk to anyone. I stood right at the front so i couldt see ayone. after a few weeks you see the asme faces and its nice to make a little chit chat between set. male or femal it was nice to get to know the hard core fitties and the trot alongs like me. its was nice to make freinsa
  • LatinaButterfly
    LatinaButterfly Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Don't.

Sorry.

"LIKE"
  • hyperionguy
    Options
    The thread "Why aren't more guys ballsy" comes to mind. Hmmm, not sure why. :grumble:

Keep in mind that many people lead busy lives with demanding jobs. For a lot of people there are limited opportunities for social engagement outside of work and the gym. A public gym IS a social setting whether you like it or not. Many people look at it as a more wholesome place to find friends and possibly dates than a bar crawling with bimbos or knucklehead guys. A guy is a place where you can meet folks who are dedicated to a common interest (shocking reason to be attracted to someone, I know [sarcasm]. See this site [irony].)

Some of the extremists in this thread need to look into investing in a home gym or going to a small family owned one like the smart lady a few posts up. It might be worth it in order to avoid wasting so much energy and frustration putting on a b***hface front. Do everyone a favor and wear a shirt with "F-off" printed front and back then you can ditch the unsavory, miserable, uptight, frustrated demeanor.

I don't talk to people at the gym. not because I don't want to, but because I am shy. i do know that some guys are 'creepers' not because they're really creeps but because they're sick of the mixed signals and the results that can be contrary to the signals. they just adopt a ham fisted approach figuring something may come out of it, and if it doesn't... well at least not much time/effort was wasted trying to figure her out.

If anyone sees me at the gym... come talk to me. :smile: :glasses:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    That is why I go to a small community gym. The equipment is good and everyone seems to mind their own business for the most part. I already have a boyfriend to watch my figure for so I don't need to meet another fella. I have bumped into old friends and teachers from high school there though, only one of them recognized me at all. That's probably for the best though. XD
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply! It's good to know that their are still some friendly, extroverted people out there. Sounds like a pretty minimally invasive approach that's succinct and honest...Just what I'm going for.

I dont mind at all if people chat to me, I've made a lot of friends recently (blokes) because I spend time in the lifting area. If someone has good form, or lifted particularly heavy, I'll give them a 'awesome work' and I dont mind chatting (it whiles away the time between sets). I've made a lot of really good friends in the gym, both male and female.

However, Im also not single, and Im not there to be hit on. Some guy winked at me after using the smith the other day (I was tempted to say 'I'd be a whole lot more impressed if you'd have done that on the bench, but whatevs')...I was not taken with it I must say. Just be friendly, and dont sleaze about, like smiling creepily whilst doing your bicep curls...like seriously, take your isolations and gtfo. Do not want.
  • dirtydmvkid
    dirtydmvkid Posts: 184
    Options
    I'm not a chick so I can't answer the original question, but I hate talking in the gym period. One of the main reasons I don’t have a consistent gym partner is because they all talk too much! Seriously… You can tell me about the "dime" you banged AFTER we're done. I end up being rude sometimes because they just don’t get it. Headphones in, music blasting and just nod my head when I see their mouth move haha! I would imagine this goes for a lot of females as well.
    In the gyms on Marine Corps bases it's usually not a good idea to talk to the chicks anyway because chances are it's some general's wife or daughter haha!

Just my 2 cents.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Good grief! I make it a point to never be a bi/tch to someone that is genuinely trying to be nice to me -- especially if they think I'm hot. Trust me, it's work time at the gym. I have about 50 minutes to get the job done when I'm there HOWEVER I'm there all the time at the same time so even though I never speak to anyone, I feel like we're a club. Just Friday (I'm married, totes wasn't hitting on him), I told a guy how much progress he's made body-wise. Never spoken to him before. Geez. Trust me, I'm sure he wasn't like "I can't believe that young bi/tch interrupted me. What a creeper."

Just be normal.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think it would be flattering to be approached, honestly. I wouldn't have a suggestion of HOW because no one ever does! I work in a small gym with only weight equipment available, though. I probably wouldn't get near me when I'm swinging kettlebells...my hands get kind of sweaty...