Dismayed overhearing comments............

Options

Replies

• sissie2955
    sissie2955 Posts: 47
    Options
    I usually don't comment on things but this really bothers me. I have had to deal with people like this my entire life. I am overweight. I am overweight because of several reasons...mainly I overeat and don't exercise enough. I am trying to make a change. The last thing I need is some judgemental person making negative comments like this. What I choose to eat or not eat is my business...and only mine....please keep your insulting judgements to yourself...

I totally agree here. This is a supposed "trainer" who is there to help others yet is making rather rude comments. I use to be 389lbs & I am now 227lbs, I have done tihs by diet and exercise and will power, not gastric bypass, although if someone has taken that route I will not speak ill of it. Each of us Obese or Morbidly Obese people have reasons we are what we are. It doesn;t really matter how we got there what are the complicating factors - what matters is we are all people and we all have a journey in life. We all have struggles and issues. Obesity, Snobishness, Gossiper, Smoker, Drug additc. But people that go into places to make judgemenst or look at others and access their life and make comments off there weight are just really sad people.

I have had a wonderful trainer and now friend who is maybe 140lbs, lol I never asked. She is cute, does body buidling shows and stuff on the side and she NEVER ONCE judged me or anyone else she has helped that needed to loose over 100lbs she teach's and trains with compassion - something it seems this person does not have.

I hope you stick the skinny people with your training.
  • bekkaL85
    bekkaL85 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have to admit...when I read the OP at first I WAS offended. I thought "how DARE you judge them, when it's your job to HELP people like that!" Then I breathed. I suggest you people do the same. NONE of you can say you've NEVER looked at an extremely large person and though "He looks fine. I'm sure that he is perfectly healthy and I have no problems with what he is eating"

I am fairly certain that at my biggest people never thought that about me when I went into a buffet place, or had a 3rd (ok, 5th) helping of food at a family event.

I used to be 412.7 and now I'm at 289.6. Even at my biggest I thought negative things about big people. It's how society has programmed us. If I was on the cruise, if I wasn't so scared that the boat would sink and I would drown (can you tell I can't swim?), I would have a "free day" on the first and last day of the cruise. The rest of the time I would try to watch what I was doing. I'm sure ships like that have gym areas too, so I would be visiting those like I do at home.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    I usually don't comment on things but this really bothers me. I have had to deal with people like this my entire life. I am overweight. I am overweight because of several reasons...mainly I overeat and don't exercise enough. I am trying to make a change. The last thing I need is some judgemental person making negative comments like this. What I choose to eat or not eat is my business...and only mine....please keep your insulting judgements to yourself...

I totally agree here. This is a supposed "trainer" who is there to help others yet is making rather rude comments. I use to be 389lbs & I am now 227lbs, I have done tihs by diet and exercise and will power, not gastric bypass, although if someone has taken that route I will not speak ill of it. Each of us Obese or Morbidly Obese people have reasons we are what we are. It doesn;t really matter how we got there what are the complicating factors - what matters is we are all people and we all have a journey in life. We all have struggles and issues. Obesity, Snobishness, Gossiper, Smoker, Drug additc. But people that go into places to make judgemenst or look at others and access their life and make comments off there weight are just really sad people.

I have had a wonderful trainer and now friend who is maybe 140lbs, lol I never asked. She is cute, does body buidling shows and stuff on the side and she NEVER ONCE judged me or anyone else she has helped that needed to loose over 100lbs she teach's and trains with compassion - something it seems this person does not have.

I hope you stick the skinny people with your training.
    Feel better now? Your argument is strawman since you know nothing of my actual methods, or success rates with clientele. Actually was nominated as a trainer of the year for the IDEA which is a HUGE organization. Don't like tough love, then you're with the right trainer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your signature says you have been in fitness for 28 years so I peaked at your profile and you are 48. I'm gathering that you have never been overweight. You have no idea what lead people to where they are. I can't imagine that you are even a decent trainer with that nasty hateful attitude. Obesity is frequently learned from childhood, a symptom of mental health issues, and can stem from medical issues that YOU my not associate with weight gain. I can GUARANTY that myself and a huge body of research says that YOUR diet is toxic and cancer promoting...GET OVER YOURSELF!

thank you!
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Niner I like you and thanks for the flowers :love:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Niner I like you and thanks for the flowers :love:
    My pleasure. Keep up good work and teach some "old school" stuff to your granddaughter! Some how some of that has gotten lost in the technology age.

IDEA Fitness member
  • lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    THIS IS A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE COME FOR HELP, SUPPORT AND NOT TO BE JUDGED
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    SO STOP FREAKIN JUDGING PEOPLE AND GROW UP
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS
    AND BASH THOSE PEOPLE IS DISGUSTING.

Rewarding yourself with food, thats a good idea. When you go for a run, do you treat yourself by running AWAY from the finish line?

Why did you lose 21 pounds? Did you judge for yourself that it was unhealthy, negative and you needed to lose it? Or did it happen by accident against your will?

This is a website for people who want to change for the better... and indulging in excuses is DISGUSTING. And for those that HAVE already changed.... so is the rest of the behavior he described, if we dont detest it and understand why its so awful, then there's always a risk that we'll fall back into it.

NO. THANK. YOU.

You can defend a gluttonous overindulgent lifestyle all you please, it wont make it healthy, ever.

lol okay. I dont reward myself with food, everyone is allowed to have a little cheat food in moderation, like if one time this week i want lets say mac and cheese, i will only have a small serving of it, because i dont want it to ruin all of my progress. And i made the decision to change my life, and i only eat clean healthy food 99 percent of the time, i work out twice a day, 5 times a week, cardio , weights, zumba, running. I get better sleep now and genuinaly care for myself, i have another 88 pounds to go. i have chosen to make this lifestyle choice, thats why I am here for myself, and i am damn proud of myself

but it was my decision to get to this place, and do this for me

like it is those peoples decisions how they treat their bodies. you may not like it, but they are not you and you are not them.

and i am not defending an over indulgent lifestyle, i never over indulge anymore, i am defending those people who are getting bullied behind their backs, because i know what it has been like to be bullied all of mine until i changed my life around.
  • fatboymax
    fatboymax Posts: 90
    Options
    bump...too much fun reading these posts
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    bump...too much fun reading these posts

Well I for one am highly offended at your user name! I mean could you be anymore insensitive to those with weight problems by judgeing them and calling them fat instead of weight challenged or evereating prone!! lol :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    oh my ****
    I am incredibly disappointed with the majority of people who have commented on this post (NOT ALL!!)
    THIS IS A WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO CHANGE FOR THE BETTER, AND LOSE WEIGHT AND BE HEALTHY
    AND HERE HALF OF YOU ARE, STANDING AROUND ON CRUISES, PROBABLY IN MALLS AND MOVIE THEATERS,
    JUDGING HEAVY PEOPLE FOR SAYING THEY ARE TAKING A WEEK OFF THEIR DIET BECAUSE THEY ARE ON VACATION
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT ON A DIET BACK HOME, AND THAT THEY HAVNT LOST 100 POUNDS
    I AM HEAVY, I HAVE LOST 21 POUNDS, I STILL HAVE A CHEAT DAY AND SAY "I AM GOING TO ENJOY THIS BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN DOING SO GOOD"
    YOU DONT KNOW THAT THEY ARNT TRYING AND FOR YOU TO SIT HERE ON A WEBSITE LIKE THIS

Rewarding yourself with food, thats a good idea. When you go for a run, do you treat yourself by running AWAY from the finish line?

Why did you lose 21 pounds? Did you judge for yourself that it was unhealthy, negative and you needed to lose it? Or did it happen by accident against your will?

This is a website for people who want to change for the better... and indulging in excuses is DISGUSTING. And for those that HAVE already changed.... so is the rest of the behavior he described, if we dont detest it and understand why its so awful, then there's always a risk that we'll fall back into it.

NO. THANK. YOU.

You can defend a gluttonous overindulgent lifestyle all you please, it wont make it healthy, ever.

lol okay. I dont reward myself with food, everyone is allowed to have a little cheat food in moderation, like if one time this week i want lets say mac and cheese, i will only have a small serving of it, because i dont want it to ruin all of my progress. And i made the decision to change my life, and i only eat clean healthy food 99 percent of the time, i work out twice a day, 5 times a week, cardio , weights, zumba, running. I get better sleep now and genuinaly care for myself, i have another 88 pounds to go. i have chosen to make this lifestyle choice, thats why I am here for myself, and i am damn proud of myself

like it is those peoples decisions how they treat their bodies. you may not like it, but they are not you and you are not them.

and i am not defending an over indulgent lifestyle, i never over indulge anymore, i am defending those people who are getting bullied behind their backs, because i know what it has been like to be bullied all of mine until i changed my life around.
    Thing is where did I bully them? I didn't stare them down and make sneering faces, confront them for bad choices, or called them names. To bully someone you have to try to cause fear or intimidate them by means of force. Did no such thing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • callmebryntax
    Options
    Wow this topic was popular!

I just wanted to say that I think ninerbuff's comments following the original post were more insightful of his attitude - I honestly think that the tone of the first post was what made it sound judgmental, not the content. I don't think he is a terrible trainer, person, or fatty-fat-fat-person judger. I think that his post was written as an observation and wasn't carefully constructed to avoid sounding judgmental. It happens.

There are a few snarling dogs in here, yes, but there are also thoughtful, hardworking people who have a harder time than others losing weight. The simple fact is, this is a health website and we are trying our best. My best is probably a lot worse than many of the fit people's best. I like to think when I reach my goal, I will be that much more satisfied with myself than they can ever be, because I came from a much worse place! :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that OP's initial post doesn't seem hurtful when taken in consideration with the rest of his observations. But I also want to say that a lot of the comments on here WERE mean. Yes, we all judge. Yes, no one needs to be sugar coating things or enabling people by saying "oh its fine, eat 6000 calories today, you earned it!"

But calling someone disgusting, weak-willed, hypocritical, offensive, stupid, or implying any variety of those things (not OP, but others in this thread) based on their eating habits and/or weight is not productive. Not for them, not for you, and not for the people on this site. I am so thankful for honesty and encouragement, and that includes a kick in the butt when I get off track, but I asked for it. Some people aren't ready for it, especially not from a stranger, and especially considering obesity is often times tied to emotional issues.
  • Springer007
    Springer007 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome. Lets recap for the late commers:

It starts out with good intent and a simple observation made on a cruise ship about some obese people saying that they were putting their diet on hold. The misunderstanding comes in because these were not serious dieters or people looking for a change. By their descriptions from the OP, they were just regular old fat people who probably start new "diets" every week. We all know the type. The comedy is them saying that they were putting it on hold when obviously they had never seriously started it.
    All is going well, then about 8 to 10 posts in someone takes offense, sees their opportunity to jump all over this guy in make him into a "fat person hater" . Maybe they just needed a hug or something, but instead they choose to fire up the torches and come after the OP. Then the dam broke and every sensitive obese person in town got wind of the witch hunt, and came to share their sob story about how what they eat is no ones business but their own. and how they can be fat if they want to, and its not the OP's business.
    In a nut shell this thread seprates people into two groups. Those that know they have a problem and want to change and those that want to keep making yet more excuses to remain fat..

Lets get back to the action.....
  • callmebryntax
    Options

It starts out with good intent and a simple observation made on a cruise ship about some obese people saying that they were putting their diet on hold. The misunderstanding comes in because these were not serious dieters or people looking for a change. By their descriptions from the OP, they were just regular old fat people who probably start new "diets" every week. We all know the type. The comedy is them saying that they were putting it on hold when obviously they had never seriously started it.
    All is going well, then about 8 to 10 posts in someone takes offense, sees their opportunity to jump all over this guy in make him into a "fat person hater" . Maybe they just needed a hug or something, but instead they choose to fire up the torches and come after the OP. Then the dam broke and every sensitive obese person in town got wind of the witch hunt, and came to share their sob story about how what they eat is no ones business but their own. and how they can be fat if they want to, and its not the OP's business.
    In a nut shell this thread seprates people into two groups. Those that know they have a problem and want to change and those that want to keep making yet more excuses to remain fat..

Thanks for the example of "not productive"! And right under my comment, too - perfect :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    oh my ****
    THEY ARE ALLOWED!

NO. THANK. YOU.

Thing is where did I bully them? I didn't stare them down and make sneering faces, confront them for bad choices, or called them names. To bully someone you have to try to cause fear or intimidate them by means of force. Did no such thing.

IDEA Fitness member

She was responding to me post, not yours, sorry.

i was speaking badly about the daily behavior of obese people with no desire to get healthy and how I hate it so I never slip back into bad habits.

I dont hate the people, I just hate what they are doing to their bodies because they dont care about themselves.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Hysterical!! :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wow this topic was popular!

I just wanted to say that I think ninerbuff's comments following the original post were more insightful of his attitude - I honestly think that the tone of the first post was what made it sound judgmental, not the content. I don't think he is a terrible trainer, person, or fatty-fat-fat-person judger. I think that his post was written as an observation and wasn't carefully constructed to avoid sounding judgmental. It happens.

There are a few snarling dogs in here, yes, but there are also thoughtful, hardworking people who have a harder time than others losing weight. The simple fact is, this is a health website and we are trying our best. My best is probably a lot worse than many of the fit people's best. I like to think when I reach my goal, I will be that much more satisfied with myself than they can ever be, because I came from a much worse place! :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that OP's initial post doesn't seem hurtful when taken in consideration with the rest of his observations. But I also want to say that a lot of the comments on here WERE mean. Yes, we all judge. Yes, no one needs to be sugar coating things or enabling people by saying "oh its fine, eat 6000 calories today, you earned it!"

But calling someone disgusting, weak-willed, hypocritical, offensive, stupid, or implying any variety of those things (not OP, but others in this thread) based on their eating habits and/or weight is not productive. Not for them, not for you, and not for the people on this site. I am so thankful for honesty and encouragement, and that includes a kick in the butt when I get off track, but I asked for it. Some people aren't ready for it, especially not from a stranger, and especially considering obesity is often times tied to emotional issues.
    Your insight from a totally neutral view is one everyone should read.

IDEA Fitness member
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    So just a couple of things I noticed on my cruise was when we were eating, there were OBVIOUSLY quite a few people on there that were obese and very overweight, so while waiting in line, I heard more than a few times some of them saying "hands aren't tied on this cruise" or "diet is out the door". Of course my first thought was that based on their physical appearance, it doesn't seem that they had any reason to make the statement. Now that's ASSUMING they weren't dieting prior to the cruise, but in reality, they aren't the size they are because of eating normally (in general cases). And let me tell you that there were so many people eating like they were starving when their bodies didn't show that was the case.
    I believe you're there to enjoy a vacation, but there has to be a limit to how much you eat, just like in everyday life. I felt bad for one child who was only 12 (I estimated him to be about 185lb) and wanted to ride the Aquaduck ride with his dad (well over 350lbs), but together they were over the weight limit that was safe for 2 people to ride. So each had to go individually.
    More the reason that we as people should strive for a more reasonable weight limit so that we can enjoy life more.

IDEA Fitness member

I have never read something more judgemental. And I have to say that coming from a "certified personal trainer" I find it a little pathetic. Your job is to help people NOT belittle them!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    She was responding to me post, not yours, sorry.

i was speaking badly about the daily behavior of obese people with no desire to get healthy and how I hate it so I never slip back into bad habits.

I dont hate the people, I just hate what they are doing to their bodies because they dont care about themselves.
    I have a friend who's an alcoholic. The guy seems like he's always drinking each time I see him and it's not unusual to smell alcohol on his breath. With 2 kids, I get very angry with him about how he doesn't think his drinking isn't affecting his life.

IDEA Fitness member
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think that you may be "hung up" on a diet being a regimen to lose or gain weight. But everyone has a diet even if it is a poor one. The word "diet" simply means "habitual nurishment"..... so they were right... they are probably eating outside the habitual nurishment.

With that said, I just want to share something with you.... you missed it.... these folks were feeling guilty and hence the remark. They probably agree with you, too. The new they were over-eating and they new it was not the best choice, but they settled on that choice... all the while feeling like jerks. Sad, really.
  • Wendyerickson
    Wendyerickson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
This discussion has been closed.