serious problem

Options

Replies

• Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    I say put it under lock and key if they are really out of control with it. That's what my parents did to my siblings and I. Don't let them go into your room for anything at any time. eventually they will adjust and start eating what you give them to it. In the meantime you might want a pair of earplugs until the habits change :)

Whatever you do, don't give into their whining! :happy: hang in there!!
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    OP, we're going to need an update, ok?? :)

Dinner ...oven baked chicken, homemade mashed taters n gravy homemade cream corn.

Oldest ate corn n meat. Youngest had meat n taters. Middle ate meat with gravy. There is enuf in there for each to have 2-3 complete adult sized meals. Dinner was an hour n half ago. Already I'm hearing "there's nothing to eat! I'm hungry! "

I am done.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Carrott sticks. My kids like the baby ones. Granola bars, etc. Tell them to STHU and go to bed. :) Or eat some of the left overs. (you did say there were left overs, right?)
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Tell them to drink water. o_o
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    OK, so they're not eating their dinner, but they're eating all the junk/snack food--what if you didn't buy junk/snack food?

I was going to say the same thing.. I would just stop buying the snacks (such as chips and whatnot) and buy carrot sticks, fruits, etc.. if they are hungry they will have no choice but to eat that.. I am in the same situation pretty much.. My husband and kids eat everything (i have 2 boys and a girl). I have $100 to spend a week and it's hard with just that so I can imagine $75 per week must be pretty tough. Wish I had better advice for you..
  • sizzle92
    Options
    Also, do they drink enough water? Thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i'm sure this has been said about 50348 times in the last 9 pages, but stop buying your kids ****ty food. you're wasting money and teaching them bad habits. they'll eventually get hungry enough to eat what you make for them. stop making it into a game where they win.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    Let's do an update in 2-4 weeks. You need to retrain the kids before any real change will happen. :)
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have four kids and spend far more on groceries than you do but I don't buy very much "snack" food. For snacks I buy one or two Costco bags of tortilla chips per month and that's it. If they have popcorn it's bulk kernels and they get to pop their own. The rest is fruit, cheese, raw vegetables and nuts. I'm also mean and make them weigh out the serving size of things like chips, nuts and yogurt (that I buy plain, in bulk and allow them to add a little frozen fruit to). When they have to weigh it out on the scale it conserves the food because they aren't eating mountains of it at once and it teaches them what a serving size is. Mine will stay out of anything I tell them to and they will obey me and weigh out their food though. If I had to lock up food and ration it so we still had some left for the rest of the week I probably would. There would be a few things that were free choice (mostly the stuff they're refusing to eat!) but the rest would be on my terms. If they want to get a job to earn a little cash for goodies then they can but I'm not buying it. For the record, I have 18, 16, 12 and 8 years old so I have a good range. It also helps that we're gluten free because it automatically limits some of the junk unless we pay through the nose for store bought or I make it myself (which is what I do when we want a treat because I'm cheap and want to know what's in it.)

One of our favorite cheap meals before going GF was just a bean and cheese tortilla. You can make a huge pot of refried beans pretty cheaply. Cheese isn't too bad and they don't need much and tortillas are inexpensive too. Plenty of protein in there to keep them from getting hungry fast.

Cheap foods we still eat would be oatmeal, peanut butter, in season fruit and vegetables, salad, beans, chicken thighs and drumsticks and popcorn. I'm sure there is more but that's all I've got at the moment. :)
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Don't waste money on the junk food, I would ask them to make another choice, allow them to have input. I have 3 growing children who are picky eaters so I get it. However when we go to the store ( once every two weeks) we all get to pick ONE TREAT, where it's chips or candy ext. Otherwise the junk isn't in the house...
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    OP, we're going to need an update, ok?? :)

Dinner ...oven baked chicken, homemade mashed taters n gravy homemade cream corn.

Oldest ate corn n meat. Youngest had meat n taters. Middle ate meat with gravy. There is enuf in there for each to have 2-3 complete adult sized meals. Dinner was an hour n half ago. Already I'm hearing "there's nothing to eat! I'm hungry! "

I am done.

I don't understand... do you tell them no and they ignore you? Or do you allow the snacking without argument? You just need to tell them no. Growing up, my Mom would reply with "Have a glass of milk if you're still hungry." We didn't have money to afford lots of stuff, so when we did have special stuff we were required to ask for it. We knew what we could have (fruit, veggies, etc.) and we knew what was off limits (cookies, chips, etc.) All my parents had to do was say no and that was it... we weren't even allowed to challenge it.
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oh this post boils my blood!

When I was a kid, my parents shopped for groceries ONCE A MONTH! Of course, all the goodies were gone first. When the end of the month rolled around, we still were eating-wanna know why? WE HAD NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER! EAT WHAT MOM MAKES OR BE HUNGRY!
    You are enabling this behavior by buying all the crap they dig into first and tossing the good food (and money) when they are bratty and picky and don't eat what you make them. If the crap food isn't there, they won't eat it. Period.
    Sounds like you care and make them meals-they need to recognize this and appreciate your efforts and eat what is put in front of them or go hungry-no making separate meals for each kid, no more buying useless unsatisfying crap.
    If they continue to waste, give them a budget for food (divide your $ allowed for the week among them) and let them choose their food for the week with the knowledge that when it is gone, it's gone. Sounds like they need to quit being spoiled and learn some responsibility.
    I don't think locking up the food will do any good at all-they will find a way in.

Good luck with this one. Ohhhh...I'm still boiling.
  • loraloha74
    loraloha74 Posts: 169
    Options
    OMG my brothers and sister and I were like this when we were teenagers and my 4 kids are the same. You just balance it out. Sometimes you don't buy the chips and have apples instead. There's no absolutes with kids especially teens. Sometimes over the summer when I want to mix it up a bit I give them money and let the oldest ones shop for some of the meals. I let them get what they want. But they have to keep track of how much it all costs. and pay at the register It just gives them a different perspective and helps them take ownership. Hang in there it won't be like this forever. Really... one day you'll look back on this and laugh. And trust me if you lock up the food they will find a way lol!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Time for them to stop being brats. Eat whats put in front of them or don't eat at all. My parents would never have put up with something like that from me. Don't let your kids push you around...stand up for yourself.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    I had an older brother and a younger sister. Imagine when we were all teenagers at the same time.

My Mom cooked a good dinner for us. Stick to your ribs stuff - potatoes, meat, salad, pasta, rice. Filling, with proteins and veggies. Dessert was a rare treat - maybe once a month. A glass of milk for dinner, breakfast, and water or maybe Kool-Aid. No pop.

If you were hungry, there was always bread and peanut butter. Chips were a rare treat. The big event was when my Dad made a thin crust homemade pizza on a Saturday night for a snack!

I'd reduce the snack, and start buying milk one at a time. I'd read them the riot act too. There must be some pain point you can use to hold over their heads. Xbox, TV or Internet time, etc.

Good luck. You are already performing a miracle in feeding them for $75 a week. My family of 3 is probably double that.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Time for them to stop being brats. Eat whats put in front of them or don't eat at all. My parents would never have put up with something like that from me. Don't let your kids push you around...stand up for yourself.

Yup, if I was told not to do something, and I ignored my Dad....well, let's just say I would be avoiding him like the plague, and when he caught up with me, I'd have a reminder of why I wasn't going to do it again.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/304943-how-many-calories-should-an-average-teenager-eat-per-day/

Caloric needs for moderately active males between ages of 11-13 1800-2600
    Males between the ages of 14-18 2200-3200

They need a lot of food.

They are hungry. My 11 year old does not stop eating. Ever. I agreed to feed him when I agreed to have him.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    https://picasaweb.google.com/102199480615913968934/Kids

I don't know how you post pictures here with a cell fone but paste that in your browser and you'll see.
    I am not tall, my husband is very small and so are my kids.

If you use half a brain cell you'll realize my kids are almost the same size as I am, and I am a few inches shorter than my husband. There are some they are next to me, next to him, and their friends TOWER them.

And yes I get chips for 1 nite a week and popcorn. That is not for them to eat before I'm finished unloading the truck.
    I don't care if they have a snack. I care if they eat ALL of it in a day.

And just because you can't bargain shop doesn't mean I can't.

My kids are well cared for and are loved and provided for. I asked for ideas to stop eating it all in one day, not advice on how to shop.
    I think I do pretty good considering none of them have cavities or diabetes or other issues.

As for name calling, if they eat all the snacks...bananas apples oranges or whatever I can call them pigs. They came from my vagina I can call them whatever I dam well please! They also need deodorant at this age. Should I not say they stink, or is that mean too?

***thanks to those that actually get it. I appreciate all the PM's.

To everyone else who thinks I starve my kids...report me to children services and kiss my *kitten*.

I read through the entire thread until I got to this post...THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY. You're asking for advice, and this is MY opinion/advice.

Food types/budget/caloric intake/size/age/proportion aside, by your explanations your kids are disrespectful. They are old enough to know better, but, sorry to say, obviously undisciplined and don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. This would have never gone on in my house (2 adults, 4 kids), my dad would have beat the *kitten* out of us.

While the kids are largely to blame for not listening, I also see this as a parenting issue also to due lack of discipline. I knew better when I was that age because I was taught better...and when I effed up, I paid for it.

These children need a lesson in respect, discipline, manners and consideration. It's up to you how to administer that.

ETA: Forgot the advice part.
  • hyperionguy
    Options
    I quit reading this thread early on. This isn't a serious problem.

Your kids are spoiled.
    Your food budget is ok, tons of cheap food exists out there that will fill them up and provide plenty of protein and complex carbs, but cheap food can get boring... too bad. (beans, rice, chicken, veggies, cheese, etc)
    You don't need help from a food bank if you're throwing away leftovers, they just need a reality check.

i have relatives who have barely made it by while starting their businesses and lived on little more than beans and weenies, but now they're super successful. Food doesn't always have to be exciting, just filling and providing the basics needed for growing boys.
  • sizzle92
    Options
    I agree. They sound like disrespectful little ****s. :flowerforyou: Seems to be the norm this day and age. :( When I moved in here and started cooking, dss would sit and give grief at every freaking meal. It took a few weeks/couple months of a lot of tears (me) and yelling/punsihing from dh and now his pallet is much more flavorful/accepting and he knows what he is served is what he will eat. He knows if he doesn't eat a good portion, there will be no snacks. Other than carrotts/fruit. You really have to put your foot down here. And it will take time.
This discussion has been closed.