What nationality/ethnicity people have mistaken you?

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Im Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and like most hispanics in the U.S. we all get mistaken for being Mexican.. =/
    But once I had a lady at work that thought I was Chinese.. now thats a WTF? moment.. I have no features that would
    indicate that.. :noway:
    In my case its the opposite. I'm half-Mexican but people in the US mistake me for Peruvian, Ecuadorian, Bolivian before getting the Mexican. Hmmm is it because I'm not dark enough for them to think I'm one? (FYI: not all Mexicans are dark). But I don't mind that anyway. However since I am in Asia where people know nothing about the Mexican/Latino people except in telenovelas where it is made up mostly of White Latinos (who only make up less than 15% in Mexico) so I usually get Indian, Pakistani or sometimes half-Lebanese, half-Iranian.
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Anyone have melungeon in their family? I do.

Melungeons were in the Appalachian Mountains and were "mixed". They were free but not "pure white".

ArchGoins.jpg

http://www.whatisamelungeon.webs.com/

I love stuff like this. /dork

It might be a possibility for me since I am from Eastern Kentucky.... a strong one...
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I have an olive skin tone so when I am very tanned people have said I look Greek or Italian. I'm white British and pale as a ghost currently, I look a completely different person when I'm tanned. :-)
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    i always get the ur white...but european white, not from north america.Yes, i am east european (Albanian) i never get a specific nationality tho !

My husband is also Albanian (in the pic), and as you can see hes polar opposite of me lol. He has dark hair and eyes, and darker complexion! Ppl always think hes Hispanic, Italian..
  • nothing1994
    nothing1994 Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm English, but here in Saudi I'm frequently mistaken for being Levantine (Lebanese, Syrian, Palestinian or Jordanian) because I can speak Arabic (somewhat!) and I have light skin and grey eyes (being English n'all) and Levantine Arabs tend to have lighter skin than Gulf Arabs and sometimes have blue or grey eyes. I'm not going to claim to have a Levantine accent in Arabic because I'm pretty sure I have a blatantly foreign sounding accent, however I speak a lot more Levantine Arabic than Gulf Arabic, so that probably adds to it. The last time it happened was when I went into a greengrocer's a couple of weeks ago and asked for "bandora" rather than whatever the Gulf Arabic word for tomatoes is.

My husband gets the same and also mistaken for Egyptian as well. I've yet to be mistaken for an Egyptian but I have been mistaken for all four of the Levantine nationalities, Lebanese being the most common one lol.

Ana mish Lubnaneeya, ana Britaneeya :p

Almost everyone thinks im Lebanese too! When i tell them Im actually Egyptian, they neverrr believe me!
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    This is such a cool topic!

I always, always, always get Russian! Which surprisingly there is NONE. I'm Hawaiian, Chinese, Portugese, and Finnish! :laugh:
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I keep getting Irish...no one in my family is Irish, we are all Scandinavia. The red hair throws them. Stupid stereotypes.
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    Boricua....not so. I'm Afro-Dominican.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Cubano
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Let's see here, I've gotten Hispanic, Italian, Indian, Middle Eastern, half Black, Native American, and many combinations of all of those.

The kicker? Plain ol' white girl here. Caucasian. German, French, and English heritage to be exact. But it sure is fun to confuse people. And before you say "hmmm maybe your clearly white mama, featured in your profile pic, wasn't being honest with you" I look exactly like my dad, aunt, uncle, grandmother...I mean it's pretty obvious I'm related to everyone on my dad's side. So...yeah.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usually refer to myself as a mutt---50% Italian then a combination of French, Welsh, Russian, and Polish. People usually think I am Spanish, Persian ( i am aware Persia doesn't exist anymore but I still get asked if I am Persian), Russian, or Italian. The strangest thing I got asked what if I am Dominican. My skin is so white I glow in the dark. My sister found me in a crowd yesterday because she said she saw my skin illuminating lol.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I am pale verging on pink with naturally dark blonde hair and I"m pretty much 100% German as far as I know (from the U.S., my great-grandparents were from the "old country"), though I suspect there is some Danish in there somewhere. People often ask if I'm Norweigan, which I guess makes sense too. I'm very tall and pale. Though once when I dyed my hair really dark I was told I look sort of Russian. I took that as a compliment because I think Russian women are often quite beautiful :) Of course, I was skinnier at the time.
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Italian, Greek, and a few time Hispanic

I'm mainly Irish and Scottish with a lil German,and Romani and Rumors of African
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm Vietnamese, and I've been mistaken for Latina by this Latino guys who got lost in the neighborhood. My friend said they were blind because I'm obviously Asian XD.

I'm Vietnamese, but I've been told I don't look it at all.

My boyfriend's dad who's Japanese says I look more Japanese.

My friend's mom who's Chinese says I look more Chinese than Vietnamese.

My aunt said I look more Korean . . .

My nose is a little tall, but small, and my skin is a little whiter than most Vietnamese, makes people a little confused o____o.

Of course, there are people who can't tell the nuances between all those Asian countries XD.
  • ohmykai
    ohmykai Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I get Puerto Rican all the time.... I am a White Girl (I should add with some Hungarian in me...) ;-) lol
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I'm German, Polish, Czech and a tiny bit Russian but ppl have walked up to be speaking Spanish countless times lol
  • Susan_Rae_1
    Susan_Rae_1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    "they" say I look a wee bit Irish -- I'm not.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    People from my country does not have a specific look so no one every know.

Would you have guessed Jamaican?
  • babybird3
    babybird3 Posts: 67
    Options
    finnish but when i had dreads, brazilian? ahaa
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Canadian. I'm 3/4 Norwegian, 1/4 English, and hail from Minnesota. This isn't very shocking. LOL