Deadlift Challenge

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    assuming grip holds out, can you pull more weight sumo than conventional?

I don't know, can you? :P

Experiment if you're curious. I could tell the difference immediately. However, I have a tall torso with average legs and arms. I'm 6'3" with only a 32" inseam; I'm all torso. You can google some methods of determining if your proportions will suit sumo or conventional better, that's what made me give sumo a try.

Oddly enough, even though I'm not built for deadlifting (the best deadlifters tend to have longer arms and shorter legs) it's my best lift by far.
    LOL. Can I? Good question. It feels funky to set up for it.

I might practice it and see how it goes, I do have a longer torso personally, so the leverage might work a little better. To explore.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    That challenge really doesn't even sound fair. 250x10 is pretty impressive for a woman but 250x25 isn't impressive at all for a man.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    That challenge really doesn't even sound fair. 250x10 is pretty impressive for a woman but 250x25 isn't impressive at all for a man.

It probably should be around 60% of your top lift vs an arbitrary weight. But it's an interesting challenge I might do since 250lbs is around 60% of my top lift.

For a woman, it was supposed to be 190lbs x 25 reps

• giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

It probably should be around 60% of your top lift vs an arbitrary weight. But it's an interesting challenge I might do since 250lbs is around 60% of my top lift.

In that case, I will participate! I can totally do 190 x 25.

And by "totally" I mean there will be mucho grunting and sweating.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I posted exactly what the original challenge that Jim Stoppani issued was.
    Men: 250 pounds, 25 reps
    Women: 250 pounds, 10 reps (not 190 pounds)

You're correct that it would serve the discussion boards better to have it be a % of your 1RM, but when he issued it the only way to prevent people from cheating was a set number.

At the time I did the challenge 250 was 83% of my 1RM and when I complete it again it will be about 75% of my 1RM.
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    http://youtu.be/kK00CcvWu2Y There you go, guys. 25 at 255. Going to try and beat my time later this month and try 25 x 275 December 1st.
    Nice job. How barfy did you feel?

You have no idea. When I turned to the side I was starting to taste my subway again.
  • the_arghbowl
    the_arghbowl Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I thought the same thing and then I heard that a lot of guys actually couldn't pull the 25 reps. I was pretty surprised by that.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I thought the same thing and then I heard that a lot of guys actually couldn't pull the 25 reps. I was pretty surprised by that.

There were many guys who uploaded videos to Jim's Facebook that only got 9 or 13.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

There were many guys who uploaded videos to Jim's Facebook that only got 9 or 13.

If I can do it, it will be a huge challenge for me. Whether its "impressive" or not well...... :D

• usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

If I can do it, it will be a huge challenge for me. Whether its "impressive" or not well...... :D

It's impressive when someone takes on a challenge that they aren't sure they can complete. Even if you can't hit 25 it's awesome that you are going for it. I like seeing people step outside their comfort zones.
  • dbmata
    Options
    and that is truth.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    That's awesome ladies! High rep deadlifts are taxing!!!

I've done 20 reps at 250 in 75 seconds in competition before but I can't find the video :(
    I'll be doing max reps deads at 300 (in 75 secs) in 12 days at my next competition! I'd love to hit at least 25! I post the video here after the comp!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Really? You're an animal!
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    To be fair though my upcoming competition is a deadlift medley with a 185 lb conventional deadlift and 250 lb axle dead 300 lb trap bar and then finish off the 75 sec with max reps deadlift of a 300 pound frame.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    assuming grip holds out, can you pull more weight sumo than conventional?

I pull more sumo than conventional. My leverages suit it better. I do not pull conventional anymore as my form is much purdier with sumo.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    paj315 wrote: »
    To be fair though my upcoming competition is a deadlift medley with a 185 lb conventional deadlift and 250 lb axle dead 300 lb trap bar and then finish off the 75 sec with max reps deadlift of a 300 pound frame.

That's incredible!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    paj315 wrote: »

^Nice
  • little_simon
    little_simon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I thought about giving it a go at the end of my session by I was already pretty gassed.

Did 180kg/396lb x10 and 140kg/308lb x15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2r0SfIM8Q0
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    hmm. I wanna give this a shot.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I thought about giving it a go at the end of my session by I was already pretty gassed.

Did 180kg/396lb x10 and 140kg/308lb x15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2r0SfIM8Q0

Excellent! Thank you for sharing!