Opinion: why do men feel the need to offer advice to me in the weight room?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Wear a wedding ring. See what happens. :)

There's a reason I don't wear mine. Wanna see why?
    If it's sexual, No, thank you.

If it's gross, Hell, yes. I live for that stuff. :)
    Heh, take a gander.

deglovedspecialaffects2.jpg

That's a sample from a special fx person. So that's not real, which is why it's so clean, and exhibits an extremely low level of trauma. However, this happens. Particularly possible during rock climbing as well.
    Oh, poo. I wanted real and ugly. I didn't think I'd get it, as people rarely stop to take pics, lol, but you never know! I saw a woman taking a photo of a dead body in the road once... From her car, as we were being re-routed around the scene of an accident. People are nuts! :)

Thanks for the pic, though! :)

Obviously, my "Wear a wedding ring" was bad advice, indeed. (I don't lift.) :)
  • Kalikel
    edited November 2014
    Options
    nancy274 wrote: »
    Some guys commented on how I should do a lift today. I actually appreciated it. The only problem is I probably would not know bad advise from good advise.
    This!!!

Some guy told me not to use a certain machine because it would make my boobs stick out like "torpedoes." I was like, "Thanks..."

However, I wondered immediately if he knew what the hell he was talking about or not. I decided to avoid the machine on the off chance that he was right, because I do not want any sort of torpedo action. But I STILL don't know if the guy was an idiot or not.

If you don't know what you're doing, you can't tell bad advice from good. You have to judge the person giving it. My guy could've gone either way, lol. Smart about machines and helpful or total idiot. Wasn't sure!

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Some guys commented on how I should do a lift today. I actually appreciated it. The only problem is I probably would not know bad advise from good advise.
    This!!!

Some guy told me not to use a certain machine because it would make my boobs stick out like "torpedoes." I was like, "Thanks..."

However, I wondered immediately if he knew what the hell he was talking about or not. I decided to avoid the machine on the off chance that he was right, because I do not want any sort of torpedo action. But I STILL don't know if the guy was an idiot or not.

If you don't know what you're doing, you can't tell bad advice from good. You have to judge the person giving it. My guy could've gone either way, lol. Smart about machines and helpful or total idiot. Wasn't sure!

I'm just going to put this out there. Not scientific or anything.

Mammary tissue doesn't react to weight lifting. Ain't nothing going to torpedo that didn't already torpedo.

Pectoralis muscles tend to become rectangular when they grow, and that's under mammary tissue. The best you can hope for is your boobs will perk up a little from the oomph underneath.

I'm going to go back to performing rocket surgery now.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This!!!

:disagree: I think I'd have the exact opposite reaction and ask why he thought it was okay to tell me what to do based off what he thinks my body would do. It's none of his business and unless I'm going to injure myself - that kind of opinion is not wanted from me.

Also- just do you know, breasts are fat tissue. No amount of exercise will make them "stick out like torpedoes" unless they already stick out like torpedoes. Then they'll just be perkier, maybe slightly smaller, torpedoes! :smiley:
  • Kalikel
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This!!!

:disagree: I think I'd have the exact opposite reaction and ask why he thought it was okay to tell me what to do based off what he thinks my body would do. It's none of his business and unless I'm going to injure myself - that kind of opinion is not wanted from me.

Also- just do you know, breasts are fat tissue. No amount of exercise will make them "stick out like torpedoes" unless they already stick out like torpedoes. Then they'll just be perkier, maybe slightly smaller, torpedoes! :smiley:
    I am familiar with both breasts and the underlying muscles, which is why I immediately thought the guy might be an idiot, lol.

But I do not really need to strengthen my chest, anyway. The girls are not small and aren't getting a whole lot smaller as I lose, sadly.

I've heard women say their chest perked up after doing weights before. I don't want even the tiniest bit off addition to that area. If I didn't know the risks involved with any surgery, I'd have them reduced.

The real point is that when you don't know how to do something, you won't know good advice from bad, KWIM?