WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday Morning. We have 44 degrees and rain, but the temps are expected to drop below freezing, which means a rough drive home.

All the posts about trouble with kids (I assume most are between 14 and 29) sound so familiar. Of course, my 14 y.o. DS hates to be seen with me, but becomes insulted if I need to miss part of a bowling event. DD, who is 23 and lives in her dad's basement at this time, likes me but hates dad and his partner, and that situation is likely to flip-flop by this time next week.

My scale at home is staying the same, but the one at work shows a 4.5 pound loss since Nov. 1, so I guess I'm doing something right.

My laptop at home is fixed, yay ! ! ! Now, to learn how to use and load the cheap ones I bought on Black Friday, so I don't get too bored during travel. DS took the last pair of ear buds from the house, so I better get a few more of them ordered, too. I like watching movies or listening to music while I crochet on airplanes. Luckily we don't leave until early March, so I have plenty of time to choose and learn. But if anyone has any suggestions for cheap of free things to do or see in El Paso, I love to try new things (but won't be getting a passport for a trip to Mexico).

Now, back to my bookwork. Prayers and hugs all around ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Sylvia- thanks for posting the new picture. You look awesome and you look much happier.
    - Brenda from Md
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Beth - your post actually made me cry this morning. Certainly put my very minor woes into perspective! :flowerforyou:

Barbie - what a great looking group and all so slim! But I thought line dancers wore cowboy boots! ! ! ! !

Hugs for those suffering antsi young adults and teenagers. Jan, you did well not to bite. I was a better parent of teens than I was of younger children, mainly because I practised "benign neglect" and just let them get on with whatever. After 16 I didn't police them at all and once they left uni they had to be financially independent and in their own place. I now slightly rue it as both boys are very independent and I don't hear from them unless I make the effort. Luckily my DDIL is marvellous, but my elder one is mostly incommunicado! :laugh:
    I didn't do well with toddlers at all and consider it almost the worst time of my life. :cry: I was very good with small babies and very happy.

Had my yoga lunch and my flashing earrings and bobble hat on a spring went down very well, especially as I had to walk down the lane to the venue! ! ! ! ! I managed to get through the meal with 600 calories and 100 for alcohol. DH, bless his lovely heart, is cooking me pork stir fry tonight, so I will just have the pork and veggies. He has also poached pears in cider which will take me over by 100, but I'm still in the losing zone. :bigsmile: The lovely man also marzipanned the Christmas cake (his first time) so I can do the royal icing at the end of the week. I have some new decorations to add to my old ones this year. Usually I feed the cake with brandy regularly, but as the DGC might eat some this year, I didn't do that. :laugh:

I'm not entirely happy with the way my new dvd /HDD recorder works, but I will wait to fiddle until DH is out. :laugh: We can laugh now about our heated "cooperation" last night. :love:

Sylvia - fantastic transformation! :flowerforyou:

Haven't seen the news today, but violence of any kind just is so, so, so sad.

Love Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: You have posted dramatic photo proof of how much you’ve accomplished! WTG!!!! Congratulations. :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I agree with your comment about eating well in hard times. I’ve found that eating healthy food results in more stamina and less stress response in uncomfortable situations. :flowerforyou:

Marie: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

We’re still at DS’s home this morning where it will be “Christmas” this morning. We’ll drive home after lunch. Yesterday we went to Bellevue for dinner, shopping, and to see a Christmas “parade.” It wasn’t a parade, so much as a performance that encompassed several downtown blocks, including music with live drummers and recorded everything else, live dancers, and people dressed as fantasy characters like snow queens, snowmen, fairies and toy soldiers. “Snow” fell from the rooftops of downtown buildings in the performance area. The snow was actually soap bubbles. There were light washes and projected giant snowflakes on the buildings above the performers. It was a fun event that will be repeated many times before Christmas.

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

- EVER WONDER

-

- Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?

-

- Why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed?

-

- Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

-

- Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

-

- Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

-

- Why is it that to stop Windows, you have to click on "Start"?

-

- Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid

- made with real lemons?

-

- Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

-

- Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

-

- Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

-

- When dog food is new and improved tasting, who tests it?

-

- Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

-

- You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why

- don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?

-

- Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

-

- Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

-

- If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

:D
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    :smiley: thanks for the joke, I needed something to smile about.
    Brenda from Md
  • salubrioussteff4ever
    Options
    bcamaione wrote: »
    Hi everyone, my name is Bridget.
    I just turned 50
    I've been yo yo dieting for the last 5 years.
    I reached my heaviest in October which was 207lbs.
    My dr. Told me that I'm post menopausal
    Started a lifestyle change on October 26, 2014 with clean eating. No junk food, no soda, limiting my carb intake as well as added sugars. I've been exercising for an hour a day, treadmill and Jillian michaels body revolution.
    I also started a non GMO multi vitamin daily
    I've lost 11lbs so far and this time I'm going to keep going

Welcome and I get what you're saying…I've been in the same boat as you are and although I am feeling wonderful with a real desire for change, it is still hard sometimes especially during the holidays when all of my darling neighbors come bearing gifts of "what I call Satan" aka delicious treats…I am beginning to realize that delicious treats though are not the devil if I am up and moving enough. So far, I am down 6 pounds in 5 weeks but the best part is that I am feeling wonderful!

My goals are to go to the gym 3 days a week
    Walk daily for at least 200 calories burned
    Remain faithful to logging my food intake
    Not deprive myself to the point of failure but maintain a healthy resistance to what got me 50 pounds over weight to begin with.

Good Luck to all of us…. and

Viv, I remember my first Christmas without the love of my life and then the subsequent firsts…they are all difficult. Be kind to yourself but allow others who love you to reach out and nurture you too. Be patient and understand Grief bursts…read up on them through hospice websites. It helped immensely to know that I wasn't going crazy, just missing someone I loved terribly. You can do this because we can all do hard things. Chin up and know that many people care about you.

Merry Christmas to all of my 50+ sisters!

Steff
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Chose a pear from the goodie pile in the break room instead of a cookie. Go Me!

My 19 year old Army son comes home for 10 days on Friday so I'm getting his old room ready this week. He has been gone since August 11th first in Oklahoma and now Texas.

Diana in Northeast Indiana
    1a8odue4rd9r.jpg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    I can't think to post anything today so just marking my place. I did go to the gym and do weight training for my lower body and some waist and abs. Tomorrow will be cardio. Food not bad so far.

Prayers and hugs for all! The best group ever!

Rita from CT
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lesley, have also been thinking about you. You seem to be a person with gusto and wanting to do things right and keep your world in order. then comes things like this. We live in a fairly small conservative city and I know that some day we will have something terrible like this happen. Would just like to wrap our little area up and isolate us.

Went to Best Buy today just to talk to some one about laptops. The person I talked to after he asked what all I used a laptop for told me that an iPad might be best. He laughed and asked why I needed a laptop for when I told him I have an iPad and a desk top. So he took me over to the section of the less expensive laptops. Suggested an Acer or Levono. The Levono has a disk drive which I really like. Right now the only CD player I have is my desk top. They had a 6GB for $450 or a 4 GB for $300. I bought the cheaper one. I just can't see $150 for an extra 2 GB of space. Now I have to learn Windows 8. I think there are some places in town that do free web teaching for senior. The Geek squad there can teach me for $169. My AARP membership gives me either a 10 or 20% can't remember which. But if I see I need one I will try to find some one who teaches seniors. Especially this senior with MS since cognitive seems to be my most difficult thing right now. actually it was the worst thing that had me quit working. Michelle was kind of surprised I bought one on my own and I hope it wasn't a mistake. The model I wanted wasn't on the shelf and he looked up and said that they only have 16 in stock. I don't know if that was a sales ploy or not. So I will leave it in the box until Michelle comes over Saturday to set it up.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to learn how to do facebook, and it's really hard. I don't completely understand how it works. Stuff shows up on my "page" that I absolutely do not believe in. What can I do about that? One lady posts nothing but wildly religious, anti Muslim, and anti immigrant stuff. Really hateful stuff all in the name of religion. Does that crap go out to anybody who is listed as one of my "friends"? I tried unfriending her, but those posts are still there. This is someone in our potters group, and I really don't know her very well, and now I don't think I want to.

Sylvia

I will try to help you with this. With FB, you have a homepage and a newsfeed. They are different pages. When your friend posts her political stuff, everyone that is her friend sees it on their newsfeed. Your friends do not see it on their newsfeed unless they are friends with her, and they don't see it if they visit your page by clicking on your name. If she specifically shares it with you (as opposed to just sharing it with all her friends), then it will appear on your homepage, but you should be able to delete it. Most of the time these crazies just share random crap and it clogs up your newsfeed. You have several choices. You can totally unfriend her, you can hover over the right hand top side of the list and choices will pop up that allow you to hide all posts (among other options. Choose the one that makes sense to you.) you can also choose to unfollow her but remain her friend. That way her status posts won't appear on your newsfeed, but you can still visit her page if you get the desire to catch up. She will still see your status updates and will have no idea you aren't seeing hers. if you totally unfriend her, she won't know that either until she notices she isn't seeing any news from you and/or if she tries to visit your page.

Does this help at all?
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday and day 4 week 4 of Jeannette's challenge. back to training: Wii Gold's boxing before breakfast, JJ's SA cardio sculpt shortly and a 1 hour walk = 757 cals/ had her vegie eff whit frittata for breakfast and lunch is tuna salad pita, dinner is roast chicken, + snacks = 1978 clas, so food - exercise = 1221, in line with what dietitian asked.
    Heavy rain in night, drizzling now, washed clothes on clothes horse so I can dash out for it, towels finishing in dryer (on clothes horse overnight and dryer to soften). House to clean later.
    Feeling MUCH better today.
    There is a HUGE amount of flowers in Martin Place, just so sad and feel for the 2 families losing parents so near Christmas. Bail laws had been relaxed but our PM and NSW State MP says need to be tough and this man should NOT have had jail.
    I feel for parents in Pakistan, Taliban killing over 100 children. They do not want people to be educated so they can manipulate them.
    I am so glad I grew up in the 1950s
    In regards to FB I have de-friended MANY people. I stay in touch for family and friends in England, America and Canada, plus mainland Australia. If you look at "follow" you can un-follow people and they do not know, or you can toatally block people. I have also left some sites too.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    For Facebook, there are also specific settings you can choose. Some people have their accounts completely public, so friends of friends of friends can see everything. People also have ways of cyber-stalking others, so choosing more private settings is often the best option. There are tutorials available, but I will look it up tonight at home, and write down some options.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Joyce, does your new laptop have a touch screen?

Windows 8 is definitely different, but you can pick it up pretty quick if you can navigate your iPad mini. No way would I spend money to learn it. The thing to remember is that the windows key is your friend. It works like the home key on your iPad and gets you back to the start screen. Then if you click on the desktop icon, you will see your desktop and it it will look a lot like your old one. The thing that's hard for me on my desk top PC (no touch screen) is getting the mouse in the right place on the top right to see the settings to shut down, restart, etc. my mother's laptop (acer, I think) has a shut down button on the keyboard, but mine does not.

Anything you don't know how to do, get out your iPad and Google. There will be an article or maybe even a YouTube video on it, read or watch it on the mini while you practice it on your laptop. Pretty soon you will be a pro.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI~got a good report from the cardio dr.
    Thanks for ur love and support
    hugs
    jane
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie!!! Thank you!!! That makes so much sense. I didn't know I had all those options and I had no idea that the newsfeed and homepage were different. This is going to be VERY useful information!

I stayed at work all day, even though I feel awful. I think the fever is gone, as I have checked it several times though the day and it was back to it's normal 97.6. I hope that means I'm not contagious, but I sure feel contagious. I'm keeping the Purell people in business.

I've only had three lookers and two buyers all day, so hopefully I have not spread my cooties all over town. I had lots of drafting to do, and got all that done. Spot came with me to work today and he is SUCH a great studio dog. When people come in he moseys up to them to say hello and then backs off. Bruno would be jumping all over people and Molly would have bitten everyone who came in. Yep, the more I know Spot, the more I love him. One lady who came in was asking about him and I told her the story of where I found him. She said, OH, are you looking for a home for him, like she was interested. I said he's found a home, thank you. Hubby would be sorry to hear I turned her down.

Well, it's time to close up shop. Good night everyone.

Sylvia
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi to all my friends. What a day. It’s nearing the end of the semester and things are just crazy. I have been looking for a new centerpiece for my dining room table and went to a florist today. I couldn’t find them, so called DH who looked them up and I still couldn’t find them after driving up and down the street for 20 minutes. So DH called them and I finally found them. When I went in and told them how hard it was to find them, the owner said she’d take good care of me and boy they did. I didn’t see anything I liked but didn’t want to wait for a custom piece, but finally found a container I liked and three people totally stopped what they were doing to make me a stunning centerpiece! Now that’s good customer service!

Eileen: I see you are holding a little one too!

Joyce: so glad you got to speak to your brother!

REnny: so nice to see you again

Alison: sure hope the pain med routine helps!

Barb; I notice that when I wake up hungry and especially if my blood sugar is a bit low….I am ravenous all day!

DeeDee: ooooh so sorry to hear you have another skin cancer! I’m so glad you are getting it taken care of promptly!

Carol: well if you are whiney, I’ll join you. I actually really despise the holidays. I think they are nothing but stress galore. I try so hard to enjoy the season and for the first time ever, I am a little excited about the day itself, but I was very uncomfortable at our department “meeting” last week which was a holiday party. So we can whine together. I am so jealous of people who just adore the holidays. Now I LOVE New years eve!

Sylvia: could you have influenza? Should you call the dr?

Heidi: once after a cruise, we went on an airboat trip down the everglades. It was in the 40s and we were in light jackets and really enjoying it. The boat operators and native Floridians were bundled up like Eskimos and were so miserable! I love Key West….t’s my favorite place on earth!

Katla: enjoy the trip!

Robin: hooray for shut down days!

Heather: that pic of you may have been at your highest weight BUT you are lovely!

Vicki: are we getting a white Christmas?

Rori so nice you are back home. How long will you be there before you have to leave again?

Judy: we ALL love food! Welcome aboard!

Barbie: what a happy looking group! You must have such fun with them

Sylvia: what an incredible change. I am so proud of you!

Diana: what a great picture! You look like a proud army mama!

Well my eye is tired so I’ll say goodnight for now. I think it’s better but I can still see the cyst, so I’m not sure about wearing contacts yet. My glasses, which are a good prescription, still drive me nuts. A1C tomorrow and a manicure. I’m hoping my A1C is just not horrible. I know it will be higher than usual but praying for not crazy high! Take care all, Meg from windy Omaha
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Sylvia ... so glad you posted a new photo. And you were right ... the newspaper photo absolutely did not do you justice. I would have had a hard time knowing it was the same person.

Thank you for all the kind words. Today was a better day.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sylvia smiley-bounce017.gif great job!

Love the jokes too!

rose.gifMNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    STATS for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 14.28min 12.2amph 3mi (front break not right)
    rowing machine- 15min, 140aw, 3395meters
    rope pull- 15min, (button not working, couldn't see other stats to record)
    jog/sprint- 1.58min, 7.57ap, 8.0sp, .25mi
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.47min 12.5amph 1.4mi
    FORGOT MY PHONE- GUESS- ride dome 2 hm up Mst- 17min 9.3amph guess, 2.7mi