WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    I forgot my phone at work!!!!!!!!
    What does that mean? No hrm to track my calorie burn home, going to the gym tomorrow morning, working out and calorie burn riding to the station! Not to mention no tracking my rides on strava!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of HIIT on the elliptical today. I sprint for 30 seconds (200+ steps/min) and then recover (about 130 steps/min) for 45 seconds. My goal, and who knows when this'll happen, is to sprint for 30 seconds and then recover for 30 seconds. Next week I MIGHT try doing that but only for 1/2 an hour, I don't know.

We have a Newcomer board meeting to go to tomorrow so I'll do a step DVD at home.

After exercise stopped at Big Lots to get some rye bread for Vince, then went to Belk's Outlet and found out that they no longer carry the petite size clothing. Boo! Came home and made an applepie to put in the freezer for christmas and a small one for us to have. I'm not sure why the top crust seemed to have so much air between that and the apples. I am wondering if there wasn't enough venting so I put extra slits in it. We shall see if that works or not. Now I'm making Lynette a chocolate pound cake. I'll probably just dust it with confectioners sugar. I want to go to Aldi after the cake comes out of the oven. Tomorrow starts the new sales. Last time I went it was on a Thursday, the day after their sales started, and they were out of a lot of things. So hopefully, they won't be out of that much now. Update: the extra slits didn't help

Toni - while we were playing mahjongg at this assisted living facility, they had a hand bell choir playing the handbells. I thought it was absolutely beautiful!

Alison - hope hubby is better real soon. I know when Vince is sick, you'd think the world was coming to an end!!! Good luck with the bike! You're more adventerous than I am, that's for sure

Jan - that was so nice of you to give your daughter's ticket away! Her loss for not going!

Carol - can you take some time just for yourself? Sounds like you can sure use it

Joyce - when I was on the elliptical this a.m., I had to stop in the middle and RUN to the bathroom. And I do mean RUN.

Marie - welcome! Any friend of barbie's is a very good friend of ours.

Sylvia - you've managed to blow me away. What a difference! I can't get over it! You look so much better and happier now. You may be all dressed in blue...but you sure don't look blue. Really like those sneakers, too.

terri - I didn't think they let you take a crochet hook on the airplane.

Excuse me -- CRS right now. Someone mentioned that they had a necklace that lights up that they wore and all their students loved it. I have a pair of earrings that light up. The only problem is that they're made so cheaply that sometimes they don't light up.

Steff - I hear ya on those "oh so very nice" gifts. Someone brought these pretzels to our open house. When they left they said "you can have the rest of the pretzels". I thought to myself "I really don't want all that salt" so the next day to the soup kitchen they went. A friend of my from my childhood and I exchange gifts. She used to send me a wine basket. I finally told her that what I'd really appreciate is a fruit tree, which is what she sent me last year. Honestly, I was eating the fruit for weeks afterwards. I also told her that Vince likes anything keylime. Wonder why people don't give gifts of fruit? Why does it always have to be some kind of baked good?

Just had some of the apple pie that I made for us. There was still a lot of room between the top crust and the apples. Anyone know what I can do to eliminate that? Also, it seems that there's quite a bit of juice from the apples and I put almost three times as much cornstarch in it as the recipe calls for.

Joyce - good luck with your new computer!

jane - yea for the good report

pipcd - what is a rope pull? Is that a special machine at your gym?

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    That is a machine at the gym exermom
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    :D Heather, line dancing has come a long way from country/western. Now we dance to all sorts of music and only a few people wear boots to dance. Our dancing is done in a class in the daytime and not in a bar at night.

:D Sylvia, you look fabulous in your new "after" picture.....I signed up for Facebook last year when Michele said that she had posted a video of her holiday decorations....it took me awhile to "not follow" people who posted horrible hateful political stuff that made me sick to my stomach.....now I just follow people who post personal pictures or inspiring quotes

:D This is the first night of Hanukkah and I made latkes---lots of oil and potatoes but very yummy and Jake loves them. I ate sparingly and had enough exercise to come out even in calories. I'll make them again on Saturday. The pets recognize candles and prayers in Hebrew so they come right out and sit by us waiting for their treats.

1853435iv8ava9ssr.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Love today’s jokes! I feel like the airport terminal is the one that made me laugh loudest. DH liked it, too. :flowerforyou:

Rita: Sending hugs and good wishes your way. :flowerforyou:

Diana: Enjoy the time with your son and make good memories. My son decided on a military career and has been in the Army about 11 years. Last Christmas he was out of the country and that was hard on everyone in the family. This year we have him at home. We do have to share with the in-laws. They share their daughter with us, so it is fair. :flowerforyou:

Jane: Congrats on you good report from the cardio doctor. YAY! :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Happy Hanukkah! Enjoy yourself. :flowerforyou:

We’re just home from a few days of visiting DS and his wonderful wife. We had several fun adventures. We went to Leavenworth for their Christmas celebration and stayed all day. We had a grand time. I confess that I bought gingersnaps and ate two. They were SOOOO good. It was a long drive, but worth the travel time to get there and back. We also got dressed up and went into Bellevue for dinner at a fancy restaurant and got to see a Christmas “Parade.” Delightful fun. Our next adventure will be a road trip to CO to see DD and her family. Wish us luck with the travel!

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks Katiebug for the help on my computer. I was going to wait until Michelle comes over Saturday and let her help me set it up but I may just get the courage to do it myself. I was looking at the reviews on this particular one this evening and some of them said that it didn't work well with google chrome. That is MY internet browser! MINE. And one of the face book games I play, Egg Buddies, works best with Chrome. It doesn't work well at all with internet explorer. So I hope I have no trouble with it. Yes, it is touch and I was thinking I may have trouble with that and then I said to myself "Self you have touch only on your iPad, you can do this''. I am also glad it has a web cam, my present one does not and the cheap cameras you buy to hook into your laptop don't work well. So I am anxious to try it out.

I forgot to say to Sylvia that her statement about the picture she had her husband take, she said it was pretty good. She should have a comma in it. She is pretty, and the picture was good.

I have gotten two spam emails sent to me today. the first was from Michelle and said something about something on CNN and when I clicked on the email my computer flashed this thing that said malware was detected and do I want to back out of it. And then I got one from my niece and said something was awesome. So I messaged her over face book and she said she didn't send it. Michelle said she didn't either. So I have run my virus scan just in case.

Barbie, I like it that your animals recognize your prayers and come over to participate.

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Yanniejannie: sounds like you handled DD and the concert very well. Glad you enjoyed the concert.

Carol: hugs.

Sylvia: hope you feel better soon. I don't do Facebook. It doesn't interest me enough and I don't put my whole life on the internet for others to read. I suppose it might be different if everyone I knew was on Facebook. Glad you did the compare pics and are happy: you deserve it!

Margaret: like your saying about the hook and the bite. So true. Please post it often. :)

Rita: glad to see you again.

Jane: yay on the good cardio news!

Barbie: Happy Hanukkah!

I woke up very early this morning with a restless leg, gah. Sometimes the medication just doesn't work well enough. Hope I have a bit of energy today; my guy and I have a special day. Also, I'm hungry the whole day when I haven't slept well.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • heathermach
    heathermach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Heather and I live in Northampton England, I turned fifty this year and realized that I was fat and fifty - not good so thought I couldn't do anything about my age but can about my weight so logged into myfitness and have lost 161bs so far in six weeks so going nicely, am thinking Christmas will be hard but gonna give myself a day off and start again boxing day. good luck to everyone and have a great Christmas and new year xx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

Heather from Northampton UK - hello and welcome! 16 pounds in 6 weeks is terrific going! Don't worry if it levels off a bit later on. Perseverance is the key. :flowerforyou: I am Heather from the UK too. I have been maintaining my target weight for a year now. It took me a year and a half to lose 57 pounds. I have lost weight several times in the past, but never maintained it. That is almost entirely due to this community of lovely women. The other secret is thst I have gradually, over seversl years, upped my calorie burn through exercise. That enables me to eat a satisfying and heslthy diet. I currently exercise just over 600 calories a day apart from my yoga day, which is less. Very good wishes for your journey yo the new, healthy you. :flowerforyou:

I am maintaining my weight at 140 pounds, which is great at 5 ft 5 ins, but I was hoping to lose a couple of pounds for a safety net before Christmas. That isn't happening, but I don't intend to go mad over the season anyway. The only day we won't be able to exercise is Christmas Eve, when the grandchildren are here. Otherwise we should be able to fit it in, even if we have to set the alarm.

I'm making ginger ice cream today and we should have time to get the tree up and decorated. I haven't wrapped anything yet, though DH has done his. I still have masses of tidying to do as all the stuff from the new bedroom is all over the place, including piles of books in the bathroom. :ohwell: My study, where DGS sleeps, is a horrible mess, but I should be able to get it sorted in a couple of hours or less. DH has tidied his study. Does anyone detect a pattern here? :laugh:

Jane - congrats on the good cardio! :flowerforyou:

Katla - so glad you are getting to see the ones you love over the season. I know how much it means to you. <3 Bon voyage! ! ! ! :flowerforyou:

Lots of love, Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    the hubby is among the living.. still very weak but much better ..DB and family should be down at the airport as they fly out in less than an hour.
    so excited to see them come down..
    I went to the pool on my own yesterday and enjoyed myself.. floated around and swam a little bit sat in the hot tub and then dried off and came home .
    will take a 2 mile walk this morning and will meet them at the gate on the bike this afternoon.. they should be here by 12:30
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy hump day!!!
    hugs
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,
    Yesterday my stomach really started hurting. I left work early. I am still not feeling well but I am back at work. I am struggling with some intestinal issues. I know some of it is from the medications I am trying to get used to, I hope that being kind to myself and really watching what I eat for the next few days will go along way towards making me feel better.

Bodi update. He still has good days where he is bouncy and able to get around quite well and he has bad days where his left rear leg just doesn't work well at all. I also realize that Ritter likes to cuddle up to him and sleep on Bodi's hind legs and that seem to make Bodi's mobilty worse when he gets up. He is still a happy loving 5 year old yellow lab and we are adjusting to the "accidents" and things we just can't control. It still breaks my heart a little everyday to see my vibrant boy not able to run and play but at least he is loved more than words can express.

Have a lovely day all,
    Robin, Bodi and Ritter in the PNW
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am reading all the posts but I am having a hard time keeping up with everyone's lives. Once I get to know everyone better maybe I can get more involved in the conversations. Love this thread and this group!

My first Christmas dinner is tonight with my exercise group. We eat at a local restaurant and I think I will be just fine. We will work out hard before we go. :smiley: Then tomorrow we are doing soup for lunch for our Christmas party. As soon as all the candy and junk is gone here, things will be easier although I have logged everything and I am losing.

I have lost 7 pounds in the last 5 weeks so feel pretty good about that. I have the confidence that I can continue to lose or at the least maintain through the next couple of weeks. I have about 25 pounds to go to get to my goal but feeling confident that I can do it. I did it before about 6 years ago and of course my weight has creeped up slowly. During that time I will usually lose 10 pounds or so then quit for some reason. This time I have to do better. I would hope to be able to reduce or eliminate my blood pressure and cholesterol meds but not sure it is possible as my entire family (with the exception of my mom) have those issues. And we aren't terribly overweight so it is hereditary I believe. I want to hope not though.

Either way, since I have been exercising regularly I feel much better. Now if I could just get some sleep! I am up a few times a night for the bathroom and not sure that will ever get better. Might have to talk to my doctor about that when I go for bloodwork next time??
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I think I'm about to beat this darned flu bug once and for all! Last night I coughed a little more, but usually that is the last thing to go. This morning I feel a lot better. Even managed to do two loads of laundry before breakfast.

So now I'm at the studio. Spot didn't come to work with me today because I plan to be in the back glazing stuff and he might get underfoot. So I gave him the day off to spend with Bruno.

Welcome Northhampton Heather! This is a great place to be. When I read that you lost 161 pounds in 6 weeks I almost choked! I hope the other Heather is right that it was 16 pounds. Even that is a lot to lose in a short time. But mine came off faster at first too. It sounds like you are off to a great start and have a good attitude. Come back often!

Cynthia, I hope you enjoy your special day with your fella.

Katla, I'm so glad you had such a great time with your son. It's really good that he's home this year.

Barbie, it's a good thing I'm not Jewish, because I'm afraid those latkes could be my downfall. My grandmother used to make crispy potato pancakes that I just loved. I've never been able to make them like she did. I'm thinking it must have been her cast iron griddle that made the difference.

Michele, that same grandmother used to put a small glass dish (like a dessert cup) on top of the apple pie for the first few minutes of baking to keep the crust from puffing up too much, then took it off later so it could finish browning. At least that's the way I remember it. She might have had beans in the dish for weight. Not sure about that.

Beth, I'm glad you had a better day. You needed it!

Well, it's time for me to get busy. I hope you all have a great day today!

Sylvia
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Good day everyone! Just popping in to say hi and keep my place. I am reading posts and it seems everyone has ups and downs so I am not alone. ;) My son had an 'epiphany' yesterday and realized he was sick and tired of letting everyone down and relying on everyone to help him. He admits he needs to get 'off his duff' and fix his own life. We will see how long this lasts, but it is a good thing while it does.

DH is now on depression medicine thanks to my intervention with his doctor. :) He was not happy I did it, but understands why and is taking the meds. He does complain about how they make him feel but this week has been so nice with him quiet from the meds. No blowups so far. :p Will keep my fingers crossed here too.

I am so tired this week and not sleeping well. I have to force myself to go to the gym but know it is good for me and will help. I really hate this feeling! :s

Back to work for me.

Hugs and thoughts your way everyone!

Rita from CT
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Michele - I have never cooked apple pie, but I seem to remember a cookery programme where they explained that you have to heap the apples high above the level of the dish in a mound because of shrinkage. :flowerforyou:
    - Heather in Hampshire UK

PS - got the tree up - Hooray! :drinker: Made the ginger ice cream! :drinker: DH has ordered a new, tall, thin bookshelf that will fit in the "library" (really the hall to the annexe :laugh: ) and take some our book overspill and chaos. :love: Happy me! :drinker:
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I only have a minute to pop in…

Michele – apple pie. One of the tricks I learned from America’s Test Kitchen is to slightly cook the filling before you assemble the pie. I make the filling and then put it in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes. Stir it really well and then let it cool while I do the crust. The other thing I have done is to make the filling the night before. That seems to draw a lot of the moisture into the flour/sugar and compresses the filling. The last thing is the type of apple. If you have an apple that is geared for sauce, no matter what you do, it will collapse. Gravestiens have fabulous flavor, but are sauce apples at heart.

Sylvia – You look MAGNIFICENT!!! Your shop looks pretty darn wonderful too. Sure wish you were closer. Saw a couple pots that friends would have loved and used!

To everyone traveling … I am so jealous! I love road trips. They are always adventures and give great stories.

My funny for the day is… I carefully laid out my meals to pack for breakfast and lunch today last night. This morning I was good, and grabbed everything and put it in the lunch bag. When I was finally hungry for breakfast, I pulled out the yogurt and cereal and mindlessly mixed them together while a program loaded on my computer. I sent another application of to do its thing while I ate. “This is really thick even for greek yogurt… I’ll have to get this again…” as I finished the last bite. Sell by date Oct 27… Here’s hoping my ironclad tummy steps up to the plate…

Hugs to everyone struggling. Remember there a lots of us out there pulling for you.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.

Sally W.
    Oregon

exercise.png

weight.png
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Well I do think I am caught up and able to relax. Cards done, cookies made and delivered to neighbors. Going to have a girls sleep over with three of the DGD's Friday night and then Saturday make cookies to give out at the park and for them to take home. Christmas is only a week away and will be here and gone before we know it.

Lesley--Hugs I just do not understand the reasoning of some people.

Beth--Hugs and prayers to you and the boys. I agree about the doctors should be seeing a pattern. My DS hurt his back and been going to PT. They wanted to know if he wanted to check with his main doctor and he said no as all the doctor did last time was ask him what pills he wanted and how long he wanted to be off work. Scary!

Teri--How understanding about DMIL and sending DH and DS to spend Christmas with her. I am concerned about my mom, being the first year without dad. My sister and family will be there and glad about that as I work that day.

Rori--welcome back! Missed you.

Judy--Welcome! Come visit us often and get to know us and us to know you. This is a great group and I love the support and no judgemetal of this group.

Barbie--good looking group. Thanks for sharing. Happy Hanukkah.

Yannejannie--glad you enjoied the concert. DD sounds like a couple of our children and never sure what will set them off. I am learning to let it go and they will get over it or not.

Carol--Hugs for you also.

DeeDee--sending hugs and prayers.

Sylvia--You can block those by clicking up in the right hand corner and then it will ask if you want all blocked with that kind of content. Glad you are feeling better, but don't push yourself to fast. WOW!! you can sure tell the change in the two pictures, you should be SO proud of how far you have come. I also understand about you not seeing the change as easy as anyone else. When I look in the mirror I see the same me, but when I put two pictures together I can tell.

Margaret--Good for you writing police the Thank yous. Most of them do a fantastic job, then it only takes a couple bad ones to hurt all the rest.

Katla--The parade sounds very get in the mood kind of deal.

Diana--Congrates on the NSV pear over cookie. Nice picture.

Jane--Congrates on good doctor report.

Meg--I don't know about the whilte Christmas. So far everytime they say snow we get just a few flakes. They are saying about an inch after midnight tonight, so will see.

Heather--Welcome you have come to a great place for support and friendship.

Rita--glad to hear DH is taking the meds with postive results.

Sally--Oh Dear! Hope you do not get sick.

Have Bible study tonight so will be a short night. I do get off a couple hours before DH so thinking a nap would be nice. See how I feel when I get off. I can be so tried and the minute I am out the door I get my second wind. Prayers and Hugs to all.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Happy Hanukkah to those celebrating!

We are having a challenge at work this month to daily eat 4 servings of fruit/veg, 32 oz of water, exercise 20 minutes, and 2 extra challenges they send out per week. Today is WOW (Walk on Wednesday) so we are challenged to walk an extra 15 minutes in addition to our other 20 minutes. No rain/snow today so the puppy and I will head out and look at the lights in our neighborhood on a walk after dinner.

Have a great day everyone!
    Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, and Happy Hanukkah !

Michele NC - I have bamboo crochet hooks that are allowed on airplanes. I also have a yarn cutting pendant, so I don't need to try to sneak scissors on the plane.

YannieJannie - I have used a technique similar for "natural consequences" for my kids. If I remind them to do something, and they don't, and it then costs me money, I make them give me the money. And, if I win anything that I can't use, I give it away. I often win multiple tickets to State Fair or SummerFest, and only have a handful of friends who don't already have tickets, so I give them away while standing in line. Most people are appreciative of saving even a few dollars. And it makes my heart warm.

I was an immature, bad wife a few minutes ago. DH and I have separate accounts, and divide our bills to pay separate. He is in charge of the medical bills. He decided to NOT pay for my UltraSound guided mammogram and surgery from July 2014, so it went to collections yesterday. I called his Mom to tell her I will NOT be joining him in Minnesota for Christmas, because I can not in all consciousness spend his money on travel and hotel, and ignore my breast health. Especially since my sister had breast cancer surgery at the age of 36. I only have a little bit of guilt, because I "tattled" to his Mom. But, I just don't know how else to get through that thick skull of his. Now I need to find another Hospital for my mammograms, and my credit score took a dive. I'm sad about this. Will I ever grow-up? Don't get me wrong, I will never allow my spouse to tell me I can't get health care again (my ex bullied me into ignoring my health during our marriage). But now I just bullied my husband, didn't I? Oh, why can't life be simple?

Anyway, back to work. Now that I'm a "trainer" of certain programs, my own work takes longer to finish.

I hope everyone is able to make wise choices today (make up for my mistake)

Terri in Milwaukee