WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    smiley-bounce014.gif The stereo Bluetooth I ordered arrived today. It was easy to pair with my phone and easy to use but It will take awhile to remember which buttons are which.....there are six buttons, three on each side----skip forward, skip back, turn off the music, raise volume, lower volume, and answer phone (or redial the last number). I am looking forward to morning so I can use it when I walk the dogs :smiley:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all, for the well wishes, and Sylvia for the link. I did think about using orange jello instead of orange Kool-aid but wondered what the gelatin would do to the texture. I've only looked at Kroger so far. I haven't quite given up on finding it so that the cake will be exactly her recipe, but I will experiment if unsuccessful. I usually do make a cake from scratch for Christmas but was going to make an exception for this one. This one involves cutting the layers in half horizontally with dental floss to make 4 thin layers. It may need the sponginess of the mix to hold together. I don't know! I'm not a good good on a good day!

Good news is that I'm over the weeping and back to normal self. Got in a 5.5 mile walk today. It was gorgeous here.

You guys are great!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/2 hr of Jillian Michael's Hard Body DVD. Tomorrow I was asked to go to a "brunch" with some ladies from the neighborhood at one of the neighbor's house at 9:30. I need to bake my casserole, so I think I'll just use the recumbant bike at home while it's baking. Originally, I was going to go to the Y, but there's no way I can leave the house with the oven on, so I'll just use the recumbant bike tomorrow.

Jess called last night. Lance wanted to get on the bed with her. Since he can't jump up, she lifted him up. While he was in her lap, he had a seizure and passed over the rainbow bridge.

pipcd - I'd love to see a pic of the machine. Unfortunately, I don't think you can post a video on MFP, at least you couldn't before their most recent upgrade.

Beth - I used to make a crumb topping on my apple pie. But I found this recipe for a lower cal crust. It probably wouldn't pass the America's Test Kitchen test, but to me it's pretty good. It doesn't have shortening in it but uses cream cheese instead. It does have a little butter. That's why I'm trying to figure out how to get it so that there isn't a big air gap between the crust and the apples. I'm going to try microwaving the apples first and then refrigerating them. I have a suspicion that Kris (Jess' bf) won't be able to get someone to cover for him so we'll probably do like last year where we have our Christmas with him the following week. I have some of the fish that I can defrost and I'll probably make another apple pie. Your cookies sound really good. It's interesting, I don't like nuts IN things (brownies, cake, cookies) but I like nuts by themselves

Barb - for quite a few years when the kids were little, what I did was send out my Christmas cards in January. By then the hub-bub of the holidays has died down and you can appreciate the cards. Also, it helped me to trim my Christmas list. I can relate, too, to grown children and their messes. Even tho Jessica has her own apartment, when she comes down here she never makes her bed. Things are all over, I try to keep the counters clean and she puts all her things on it.

traci - welcome! I see barbie answered your bookmark question so I won't repeat what she said

dstirratt - how wonderful that your boy is coming home! How long will he be home for?

Sylvia - how wonderful that you're better! You'll lose that extra weight, that's for sure

drkatiebugt - what I've done when I've needed a lemon cake mix is taken a white cake mix and then added a few packets of that "true Lemon" stuff. It really lemon powder. As I recall, they have the same stuff in orange and lime. Our WalMart sells it, and so do a few other stores.

Joyce - feel better fast

Beth - every year we get a newsletter from a friend of mine from college. It's ALWAYS about how she's done this and she's done that. Always upbeat news. Never heard about any problem that the kids have had or anthing like that.

pipcd - (( hugs)))

Had Newcomer bowling tonight. Someone brought these cookies, but I didn't have any. Did have 68oz of water, tho

Have that "brunch" to go to tomorrow. In a way, I really don't want to because I'm afraid there's going to be too much excess food. I'm going to try to be careful. This'll be my first time trying to limit myself.

After the brunch I'll go to Lynette's office and take the cake she asked me to make for her. Really, it stuck to the pan a bit, so I took that part off and put it back on top then put icing on the whole thing. Really, the cake was too warm for the icing, it sort-of dripped down the side. But then again, at least people will know that it's homemade and not store bought.

Finished the shopping today. I HATE to wait so long, Vince doesn't have a problem at all. I really was on his case lately to get it done. Now we have to wrap.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    Options
    780920wevc3spomh.gif Michele, sorry to hear about Lance, but how perfect that Jess was holding him.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Congratulations on attending a holiday event with a positive plan in mind. Your strategy was excellent. :flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I am sorry about your job stress. I hope things work out in your favor. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m glad you’re feeling better! The gift of a camera sounds perfect for your DH. Love the chicken joke. :flowerforyou:

Healther: Sending good wishes for your old friend with late onset Huntington’s Chorea. It seems like a terrible tragedy. On a happier subject, I love reading stories about your entertaining. I’m an only child raised by a shy mother. I didn’t learn much in the way of entertaining skills. Maybe I’ll learn some from you. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: Good luck finding the ingredients for your cake. :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I hope you’re feeling better soon. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I’m sorry about the loss of Lance, but I think he passed in the best possible way, in the arms of your daughter. Hugs to her. It must be a hard time for her right now. :flowerforyou:

We are planning to drive to CO for Christmas with DD. The weather has been peaceful until now but it looks like a major storm is passing through that could make driving conditions difficult or even hazardous. DH wanted to leave early in the morning and beat the storm, but I think that is a mistake. We aren’t quite ready to go, although we only need a couple of more hours to get underway. I don’t want to go unless conditions are reasonable and I don't want to be stressed, rushed, or tired. We need to take it one day at a time, and travel when traveling is as safe as possible. Wish us luck.

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA for a bit. So much to catch up on. Doc appointments for myself and DH, work and general Christmas chaos seem to be taking up most of my time.
    The DGC have spent quite a bit of time with me this month. First we put up our Christmas tree and they helped decorate. It always takes longer than expected with the stories and the questions about the ornaments. Everything from my parents' first ornaments to the Christmas Dudes made by sons to the beaded ornaments made by the DGC. My tree will never be in a decorating magazine but it is truly beautiful to us. DGS baked the traditional cookies and made hot chocolate to go with them.
    Tues. was shopping with DGS. I apparently broke tradition and we ate at home before going out. It is interesting to see the changes in him now that he is 12.
    3 presents with a $15.00 limit bought in about half an hour. He then insisted on treating me to Dairy Queen and I could not resist.
    Tonight we decorated ginger bread men which is interesting with an age range of 2-40.
    Looking forward to Sunday and our present from DS. He is taking us all to Cirque de Soleil. We will be off to Georgio's after that for DDIL's birthday supper.
    To all who are having problems I hope they are resolved quickly.
    LIve, Love and Laugh that is my plan for now.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Barbie: curious about how you like the Bluetooth headset!

Drkatiebug: I can totally image your meltdown. It's normal! :)

Michele: oh goodness, Lance….

Not much to report here. There won't be concrete job news until after Christmas. This has been dragging on for about 9-10 months now and it pi**es me off.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good Morning Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers. Glad to see others are finding us. We missed you.

talk.gif

DeeDee hope your hand surgery goes well today.

Drkatiebug echoing others grief has its own timetable.

smiley-bounce017.gif for all the friends reaching their health goals.

Going to help my friend in her Kindergarten class today. My goal is to finish up my Christmas cards today. I have about ten left. I developed my Holiday letter using a collage of comic strips because I wanted a to spread some humor. Like many the past year was filled with intense joy and heart breaking sorrow. The joys are easy to share the sorrows not so much. My favorite comics this year were.

A father like figure saying First my sons you must learn patience. The sons reply, Okay, Okay Let's get this over with.

A interviewee asks at a interview Do you offer an employee health plan? The interviewer responds. Yes We plan to allow you to be an employee as long as you are healthy.

Some little torpedoes are sitting in desks one whispers to the other Hey I heard we have a sub today! Coming into the room is a submarine.

I enjoy collecting comics throughout the year and trying to match them to something that is going on in my life. I do it to look for more laughter in my life.

2014 word:contentment

rose.gifMNMargaret

28257843.png

• barbiecat
    Options
    :D Cynthia, the report about the stereo Bluetooth so far after using it for about 30 minutes on the first dog walk----I love it :heart: I didn't realize I found the wired headset so annoying until I used the Bluetooth this morning. I got a good quality one (mid price from Amazon) and the sound is good and the various buttons easy to find and push. In a few minutes, I'll be going for the longer walk and will find out more.

:heart: DeeDee best wishes on your surgery and a speedy recovery.

:smiley: Barbie
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Today is closing day!!!! I'm excited yet anxious. I feel like once I have the keys in my hand that I will be able to breathe a bit. I've lined up utilities to be switched over today and for internet and phone to be switched over on December 30. I have movers lined up for December 29 to take the furniture over. We will be able to sleep at the old house until everything is completely set up at the new place since I'm not taking my bed and Andrew can sleep on his sister's mattress for a night or two, if necessary. This is all very stressful, but for the most part, it's good stress.

Now, the bad stress part...Some of you may remember that I took a stand at work last month and told them that I did not have the time to give to a (unnecessary) project someone came up with at the last minute. Well, the treasurer stalled signing the contract until last Monday and now the accountant doesn't have time to do the work. So, you can guess whose fault all of this is. :confused: My supervisor was talking about how the congregation makes demands and the staff bends and bends and bends to fulfill their demands. I responded that I was not going to keep bending until they break me. Since they want a 25 hour a week job done in 15 hours, they will have to be cooperative, not demanding. I love my coworkers, but about 2/3 of the congregation are on the path straight to hell for the hell they create on earth. I have some good folks standing up for me--folks that aren't afraid to speak their mind, so I'm not too worried. I'm more just frustrated. Also, I know how to live with no money, so losing this job would not be the end of the world. But, I'm not worrying about them today. I'm going to be happy, doggone it!

My daughter seems to be getting better. The new psychiatrist increased one of her meds (with Katherine's input and approval) and she sees the new therapist today. I hope she is on track for moving back to her place VERY soon!

My son has officially failed one of his classes and potentially has a D in another class. It is pretty certain that he will be on academic probation next semester. He's also thinking that he does not want to return there next year, but attend one of the community colleges for a specialized degree. One of the schools he's looking at has a program geared towards working with NASCAR which is similar to the engineering degree he is looking at at his current school. The other community college offers a three year degree in aeronautical engineering which he is also very interested in. A liberal arts education is wasted on this child. If it doesn't meet his perception of needed, he doesn't put any effort into it. I think the move to one of the community colleges may be his best bet. If he chooses to do something else down the road, he can always go back to school.

I'm thinking about you all, but don't have the concentration to reply individually this morning. I hope everyone has a great day and I am so grateful for your support!

Carol in sunny NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DeeDee: Best wishes for a successful surgery with minimal discomfort! :flowerforyou:

Margaret: I love the jokes, especially the little torpedoes and the sub. Looking for laughter is a great idea. :flowerforyou:

Carol: Congratulations on closing day! As to congregations—we left our last church because we didn’t fit in. We thought the church should be engaged in community service projects. The “leaders” thought we should be engaged is self-aggrandizement. You can see both my frustration and my own judgmental ego in this comment. I love the Lord but have difficulty with his people. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

We are planning a long road trip in winter in the west. Unfortunately, there is a massive storm headed this way. DH wanted to leave a couple of days early and stay ahead of the storm, but we just aren’t ready. We’ll have to keep getting ready as best we can and hope the storm doesn’t catch us. If it is too bad, we’ll have to shift our Christmas celebration with DD to the earliest good travel window. She’ll be disappointed if we can’t make it on time, and we’ll do our best without taking crazy risks. We can be ready by tomorrow morning and that is when the storm is predicted to reach the coast. Maybe we’ll be able to slip out ahead of it.

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Not sure what happened to my post yesterday, but the day I was having it is for the best. Today is a new day and so far so good. I got all our gifts wrapped last night and have two I need to pickup this afternoon and get wrapped. Tonight we are having a sleep over with 4 of our DGD's. Three are six and one seven, the plan is to make cookies tomorrow at DSIL's as she has a nice size kitchen and mine is very small.
    Yesterday, they told us starting today our hours are cut again. We have been so busy, but since we are in the group and the hospital's in Lincoln and Omaha are slow because of BCBS not being in network it effects our hours. Doesn't make sense to me, but can only do what they tell us and be glad we still have a job. I spent along time in prayer yesterday as I was so upset and concerned about money. But feeling better this morning. God has always taken good care of us and I know he will this time also. Also yesterday someone hacked into our e-mail at work and we got all kinds of messages.

drkatiebug--I do understand about the melt down and you are ok. Sometimes without warning something will remind me of dad or my son.

Joyce--Hope you feel better soon.

Last evening DH and I were in Perkins having supper and a couple booths down was a couple with their two grandchildren. A girl I would say around 5 and boy 9. Anyway the little girl bumped grandma's water and spilled it on grandma's lap. The little girl starts crying and grandma is standing up bushing water off herself. Grandpa says to the little girl, it's ok it was an accident and grandma sits down and puts her arms around the little girl telling her it is ok. The little girl tells them she had spilled her mom's water that morning and thinks she is jinked. Grandma tells her they were both accidents and that they could happen to anyone. All the time rubbing the little girls back. It made me tear up. DH and I bought their supper and told the manager just to tell them Merry Christmas and that they are great grandparents.

Sylvia--How do I sign up for the fitbit walgreens program? We buy most our photos from there and it would be great to get points added for walking.

pipcd34--sending you prayers.

Michele--Hugs for you and Jess. She knows she did all she could and may that give her peace.

Cynthia--I understand the job stress of not knowing. With all the changes at my job and letting go of long time employees scares me. They tell us it is for the best, but who's best?? I do pray you get answers soon and that they are postive for you.

Carol--Congrates on closing and getting things ready for the move. Glad to hear your children are making choices that will be best for them. It is not easy when you want them to do as you say. I am still learning to keep my mouth shut and they will figure it out.

Well going to see if I can get this to post. Have a great day and remember to take some time for yourself. We are more then worth it.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • ammknits
    Options
    Just found this thread. Having menopausal issues on top of mindset issues, and just want some gals to chat with.
    ammknits in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! :flowerforyou:

Katla - caution is a good idea. :flowerforyou: Stay safe and have a lovely holidsy!

Carol - how exciting that you are closing today. Over here we say "completion". A whole new chapter. Good for you for standing up to the wimps at work! :flowerforyou:

Today I made 13 chocolate truffles. 12 have gone in the freezer and one is in the fridge for us to share tonight. I also made 2 bowls of hummus - one of my favourite things, so I DID lick the spoon. :laugh: While DH was putting together the new bookcase which arrived this morning I made the royal icing for the Christmas cake and decorated it. This is a vety traditional thing over here. Underneath there is a layer of marzipan over a very, very rich fruit cake. The little children, one on the toboggan, one sitting in the snow, and the robin on the log are decorations from my childhood and my children also remember them well. The big teddy and the Christmas tree I bought this year as I thought DGS might enjoy them! :love:

mwmo0kvs4mkx.jpg

Book sorting next. Tooooooo many books! :sad:

Love to all, Heather in now gas free Hampshire UK

27681614.png
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Carol: congrats!
    Heather: how beautiful!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, all.........Have not been on for a couple days but read everything---not that I remember most it Friend and her DH (mid-50's) learned he is terminal this week; went in for a small matter and, the next thing you know, a stage four diagnosis in a (what seems like) heartbeat............horrible, just horrible. Kind of in shock here with their family and a lot of other people........lots and lots of tears.
    DD is speaking again; still not terribly pleasant but either she gets over it or she doesn't as someone said.....Terri (?). BTW, thanks for all the words of support on that.
    Nose is stuffy; could be either allergies (cleaning up leaves &/or Christmas tree) or I'm continung the Christmas cold tradition of the last two years.........time will tell.
    Mailed my one package today!! Need to finish up cards.

OK, will try to comment on what I remember:

Michele.........It was surely comforting to Lance to be with Jess at the end; may he rest in peace.

Sylvia........OMG!!!! Such a major change; you look wonderful!!!!!!

Heather..........That CAKE!!!! Looks like it's from a magazine---gorgeous, and I love that you included the decorations from your childhood. I have these little pink bird candleholders from my childhood that I use a few of on DD's cake each year; good thing she was a girl!!!

DeeDee........Thinking of you today.

Margaret..........I like your comics very much; made me smile. Thank you!

Katla..........Hope you can beat the weather; safe travels!

Vicki........What a beautiful act to pay the bill for the other grandparents!!!

Carol........Fingers crossed for a smooth closing.

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic.......cold and sunny today, clouds moving in later.

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Dee Dee thinking of you.

Just a quick fly by. I am so ready to start my time off. I have so much planned to do I probably won't get it all done.

I am doing much better. I am starting feel like me again. That is a good thing.

Have a great Friday!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    This clinic is quieter, just like mine, so I am caught up on my reading of posts. But, since I am in a different environment, I didn't take notes for responses. I am missing our Holiday Party, so they are sending me pictures. 2 of my co-workers brought their dogs (a golden and a pug).

I feel like Lance "knew" it was time, and he snuggled up to be close. What an amazingly lucky pet.

DH is pretending like nothing is wrong, which is normal for him. He probably doesn't even remember that I was upset with him a few days ago.

DS is feeling better about High School bowling. The #3 bowler on his team was missing yesterday, so DS was put at #1 for both teams, and managed an 81% fill for the evening (strike or spare, only 3 opens in 16 frames). Unfortunately it wasn't enough, and they lost 5 out of 8 games. Tomorrow they have 2 full matches, so no less that 14 games, but all the boys will likely be there, so they should have 2 full teams of 5 boys again. Then, a Sunday off from Travel League. I'm looking forward to spending "only" 5 hours in a bowling alley this weekend. :smiley:

I also agree with being unable to control myself around the sweets. On the rare occasion that I make something, I only make enough for DS and/or DH, so there is little or nothing left to tempt me. Without portion control, I would never stop eating.

Today's drive was 56 miles, so it took me just over an hour. Since I will be heading back into the City shortly after 5:00pm, it will likely take me almost 2 hours to get back home. I'm so glad Milwaukee has so many radio stations, to help me stay alert. And I'm VERY thankful that there is no precipitation at this time, since my little car is rear-wheel drive.

Sending hugs to everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Heather ... beautiful cake ... and I don't believe there is something called "too many books!"

Michele ... sorry that Lance passed on, but it sounds like it was for the best.

Carol ... congrats on the closing. May your new home bring you nothing but peace. Sorry that your situation at church is so "hellacious!"

Terri ... never considered how many hours bowling teams spent at the alleys. I thought being a baseball mom was bad ... but at least we were outside ... kudos to you for being a bowling mom!

Vicki ... what a lovely thing to do for those grandparents. Love it!

Yanniejannie ... sorry your friends have been given bad news ...

DeeDee ... hope the hand surgery went well ... rest quietly and heal quickly!

Katla ... safe travels!

Well ... I am now done shopping ... because I am officially out of money!! Decided I will try an uncured ham for Christmas because of son's migraine situation. Ridiculous price... $7.99 a pound ... the ham was $58.00. All I can saw is it better be good.

Was looking at beef as well. One poor woman kept picking up package after package of something ... I'm not sure what it was. She apologized to me thinking she was taking too much time. I told her not worry ... buying beef is like making a major purchase!! Dear heavens the prices there were worse than the ham. Beef tenderloin roast ... which I put down ... was $120.00 for something that was only about 8 inches long!

Done with the sticker shock rant.
    Off to wrap and bake more of MIL's cookies ... which we have officially decided to now call "Mom's Nut Cookies" because they look and taste nothing like my MIL's.

Have a good evening.
    Beth in WNY
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Firstly...

Michele, I burst into tears when I read about Lance! Poor Jess! But I think he knew it was coming and he wanted to be with her. That much is so very sweet. He was very, very loved.

Vicki, if you have their app on your phone you can sign up by clicking on the "rewards" button and then following the instructions. If not, you might have to do it online or go to the store and have them help you. Or I wonder if you can do it through fitbit's app?

YannieJannie, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's hubby. How sad. It does seem that it happens suddenly sometimes, and it surprises everyone.

Heather, great cake!

Ammknits, Welcome! There are a bunch here from North Carolina. You will feel right at home!

Katla, travel safe!

Carol, Happy House Day!

Today was quite an event. They guy was supposed to be at my friend's house at 9:30 to move the piano. He called and said he was going to be 30 minutes late, and she had to leave for a doctor's appointment at 10:10, so I drove over to Joplin to her house to wait for the piano mover. She left for her appointment and it was very strange to be alone in her house. But the movers came and I showed them where the piano was and that there were two possible ways to go. One was through the french doors of the walkout basement but that door was somewhat close to the pool table and I wasn't sure if the piano could make the turn. The other was through the garage where there was a Model-A Ford (fully restored) car under a cover right in the path. She said we could put the car in neutral and push it back a little ways to make room, but I didn't feel great about that either. So, I thought I'd let the movers decide. They were awestruck by the old car, and wanted to take the cover off and look it over, but they weren't even going to consider moving the piano past it, fearing disaster. But it went out the other way just fine. Once they left with the piano, I went shopping a little bit and hubby was waiting at our house for them to deliver it. When I got home, hubby had disassembled the darned thing and had pieces sitting all over the living room. It's really interesting inside.

I haven't spent much time in the studio today, but have had a few customers. Tomorrow I'm open from 10-2. Sunday the kids are coming over to decorate the tree. That will be fun.

Good night everyone! Have a great evening.

Sylvia