WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday and sorry I do not contribute more but DO read all your posts.
    Jeannette wanted Cardio Dance for cardio and Circuit B today for weights. I am getting Much better but glad Sunday is rest and walk day only

My toxic neighbour is 66 same as me and said" You should not be exercising at your age, My doctor said I was too old to exercise and take it easy" GRRR. I told her she had the wrong doctor and people trained well into their 90s but if she wanted to be old and feeble then leave me to train. Gnash gnash. i no longer walk passed her house for the lecture. Found nicer places to walk, better for my sanity and the dog likes the new walks.

Lesley in Tasmania
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Rode the recumbant bike while the casserole baked today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a few DVD's in the "90 Day Challenge" set, enough so that I will probably exercise for an hour.

katla - be safe! I'll be thinking of you. I hope you get ahead of that storm

dreamwriter - your tree sounds absolutely lovely!

Dee Dee - thinking of you today and wishing you only the best

Carol - congrats on the closing! I can feel your excitement. It's good that you don't feel that you *must* have this job. Keep on smiling. and your daughter getting better -- things are certainly going in the right direction for you.

Vicki - ((((hugs)))). Everything will work out

ammknits - welcome! What part of NC are you in?

Heather - your cake is gorgeous. Honestly, it's so pretty that I wouldn't want any just for the reason that I wouldn't want to spoil the decorations. where did you buy the big teddy and the christmas tree? Did you get it online? that looks so neat!

After the brunch and Lynette's office and the soup kitchen, went to Bi-Lo to get items on sale then to Aldi for just a couple of things. Sometimes you just have to get there at the right time to get the items you want

Jan - so sorry about your friend's dh

Robin - so glad to hear that you're feeling so much better now

Terri - you know something, and I may be reading more into this than there is. When we were up at Jess' for Thanksgiving, Lance was in the bedroom in the corner (where he usually spent most of his time). I bent down to pet him and I could swear that he had a look in his eyes like "good bye, it's OK". Am I silly? I don't know.

Went to the "brunch". Why do people bring sweets and then say "take some home". If they don't want to take it home, why bring it? I brough a mushroom/spinach/egg/sausage casserole. Even tho there was some left, I knew that Vince and Jess would never eat it, so after the brunch I went to Lynette's office to take the cake to her and then just gave the rest of the casserole to the soup kitchen. MAYBE Kris would eat it, but I honestly didn't want to have it hanging around the house for that long. I can always make another one for when he comes down here.

Michele in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    The joke of the day:

:)

You Know you are Addicted to the Internet When...

· You step out of your room and realize that your parents have moved, and you don't have a clue when it happened.

· Your wife drapes a blond wig over your monitor to remind you of what she looks like.

· All of your friends have an @ in their names.

· Your dog has its own home page.

· You can't call your mother... she doesn't have internet service.

· You wake up at 3 a.m. to go to the bathroom and stop and check your e-mail on the way back to bed.

· You buy a Captain Kirk chair with a built-in keyboard and mouse.

· You get a new suit that says, "This best viewed with Netscape 4.01 or higher."

· The last girl you asked out was only a jpeg.

· Your wife says communication is important in a marriage... so you buy another computer and install a second phone line so the two of you can chat.

:D
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    My stats for the day:
    expresso bike trail-challenging- monkey pass- 38.58min, 138aw, 14.9amph, 9.54mi
    Ride dome 2 hm- 17.38min 9.2amph 2.7mi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options

2157045gp85zev8ri.gifLesley, two books I read recently strongly recommend exercise, even extreme exercise for people no matter how old. The books are "Younger Next Year" and "Strong Women Stay Young". I agree with you that we're not too old for the exercise we do.

194904olsgis3xqe.gifMy line dance class was fabulous today. We danced familiar dances to ten different holiday songs (8 Christmas and 2 Hanukkah). One woman brought homemade Christmas ornaments for everyone and a poinsettia plant for me, several brought sweet treats, and the class gave me a card and a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant. Lots of people thanked me for the fun class and there was lots of laughter throughout the morning.

smiley-bounce013.gifAfter class Jake took me for my mammogram and then took me out to the Mexican restaurant that has spinach tamales and all the pico de gallo you want to put on them.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”
    146200.png
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Found the Orange cake mix at the only other grocery store in town. Yay!

Dee Dee, hope things went well with your surgery.

Carol, glad things are looking up for you with the closing and your daughter. I'm sorry about your son's grades. Been there, done that one, cried buckets. mine had straight F's. At least yours has a good plan for continuing his education.

Lesley, I agree. Your friend needs a new doctor and she needs a new attitude. My mother is 81 and she still does her own leaf raking and lawn mowing. Physical activity is good for you.

Michelle, I'm so sorry about Lance. When I first started reading this thread and couldn't keep the names straight, I would always think Lance was your husband. Lance/Vince, both have 5 letters, both end in "nce", I'm easily confused anyway, you get the picture.

wish I could comment more, but am out of time.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I know I posted something this afternoon and can't find it. Some one please tell I am not crazy! Went to the grocery store today, Charlie couldn't find his usual Weight Watcher's fudge bar. So he got one of my favorite Skinny cow fudge bar. In the past I have been known to eat all six in the box in one night! Please pray that I won't even eat one. That's why I gave up on my granola, honey and oats. I loved it to much and I used it as a snack. So now there are Skinny Cow products in my freezer. Our church goes to one of the assisted care senior centers every Christmas. All the choir members bring a snack to share. Walmart had these mini cupcakes for $6 for 24 count. Those are in my freezer also! Oh heaven help me.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Michelle: There’s a lump in my throat hearing about Lance. :'( I’m sure you are right about him ‘saying’ good-bye. Hugs to you and Jess. I believe if there is a heaven, our fur-babies are there, too.

Heather: What a beautiful cake. I can just imagine the beauty of your full holiday spread.

Barbie and Lesley: During my trip to Panama I met a woman who has backpacked around the world and joined us for a full day of snorkeling with a group of women my age. She is 81! My new inspiration and a new goal for me! B)

Katla: Safe travels. If you want to meet up in Denver area, I’ll be around for next 3 weeks.

It feels good to feel GOOD! I had a few niggling aches and pains worked out this week thanks to my chiropractor and a therapeutic massage. Also got myself back into a weekly routine with my strength trainer. Her gym got a new scale that measures all kinds of metrics like BMI and fat density. It calculates everything to give you your actual ‘body age’. Rose warned me that it has been registering everyone as much older than their actual age. I stepped on and came up a year younger than my age. Guess I’m doing something right.

I know there is a holiday next week, but my head and heart are not into it. I did knock out a couple dozen cards. My friends and family don’t really get excited about any presents, so we’ve switched to making tribute gifts to favorite charities. Easy-peasy. My sister is approaching the first anniversary of losing her DH by taking her entire family on a cruise to Mexico. I wish we could join them, but my budget busted thanks to an unplanned car repair and the demise of my office printer. If this is the low point of the month, then I am truly blessed. :D

Stay strong. Stay well. We can do this. <3

Rori in the Colorado Foothills
    Word for 2014 = Release
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Jane - I am sorry about your friend but glad you have memories of baking with her.
    Heather - I wish I had all my presents wrapped. I continue to procrastinate but I really have to get them done.
    Barbie - Having a plan and following it is an excellent strategy. I always intend to but I have NO Will Power.
    Michelle = I too have sent cards in January and it is looking to be another of those years.
    Katla - Hope the journey is safe.
    Carol - Congrats on closing day.
    Lesley - Sounds like your neighbour needs to kick her Dr. to the curb and get a new one. Exercise is good for you at any age. It is nice to be able to do things with DH, DC, and friends. She is missing so much.
    It's been a busy week. People think that a Toy store is a wonderful place to work but during the holidays that is not true. I wonder when people became so very needy?
    This week we got our hair done, went for manicures, pedicures and had a massage. I wish I had a facial done also. So we sparkle the rest of the time.
    Costco shopping left me with a bit of sticker shock.
    The 5 a.m. shift yesterday didn't do much for my personality.
    Decorated Cookies with DGD and played some crokinole.
    Time to wrap.
    -Sharon in Alberta.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Put my new duvet cover on today so I thought I would show you our newly decorated bedroom while it still looks super tidy. :laugh: I'm sure it won't stay that way for long!

2ir5jxoedwag.jpg

Going to make an orange cake today with a whole boiled orange and ground almonds. Don't really need it, but the grandchildren might prefer it to Christmas cake. It freezes very well.
    Otherwise I have to complete my online supermarket order which is arriving on Monday afternoon. I booked the slot way back so I have lots of refining to do.
    We still haven't sorted out the books, but must do some of it to make room for grandchildren. My sixtenn month old granddaughter sleeps in a travel cot in the "library" and currently the floor is covered by piles of books. Also the bathroom where they have a bath is piled up with books, so they need to go. All this chaos has been caused by not wanting to put colour clashing books back in the bedroom, so the huge grey bookcase in there is currently empty. I know we can't look like a magazine for ever, but it does look nice really tidy. :ohwell: Also I am really bad at making decisions, especially aesthetic ones.
    My good friend I visited at the weekend hired a professional "clutter buster" to help her throw stuff away. She finds it so difficult she said it was worth its weight in gold. The girl came three times snd gave her great peace of mind. My friend has her house on the market, but felt completely paralysed by clutter in various areas. I can understand her feelings and if it wasn't for Christmas I'm sure the piles would stay there for ever. :embarassed:

Love to all. Good luck Carol! :flowerforyou:
    Deedee - hope all went well.
    Vicki - what a lovely thing you did!

Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK

27681614.png
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Thank you all for your well wishes for my hand. Surgery went fine yesterday, it was a bit unnerving to feel all the pressure on my hand, felt like she was digging the bugger out with a tiny melonballer…ick!!! I have to go back in a month just for a recheck. I`m so glad it`s over!!! It`s not too sore either, which has really surprised me, in a good way :bigsmile: !!!!

Katiebug :) I know how memories will suddenly appear, it`s all normal! What a wonderful celebration to make your Aunt’s cake!!! Glad you found the right cake mix!!!

Pipcd :) Hope the furkids will keep your mind occupied over the holidays, I know how it is, it will be 17 years in January since my hubby left this earth…I still miss him <3 !

Toni :) Pajama day sounds delightful. Maybe we should incorporate it into adult lives too!!!

Sylvia :) So glad you`re feeling better!!! You look awesome!!!!!! Congrats on all your hard work!!!

Michele :) So sorry to hear about Lance :'( , so glad Jess was with him! Hugs to you both!!!

Katla :) Have a wonderful safe trip!!! Sure hope you get out in front of the storm!!!

Dreamwriter :) Live, love and laugh…what a great plan!!!

Cynthia :) I understand your frustration about the job…grrr!!!

Margaret :) Love the comic strip idea!!!! I love adding more laughter to our lives!

Carol :) Congrats to you!!! A new homeowner…yippee!!!! Good for you standing up for yourself. Glad your daughter is feeling better, and glad your son has a plan in place for his education!

Vicki :) Have fun with the grandchildren making cookies today!!! So sorry to hear your work place is cutting hours again…What a wonderful thing to buy dinner for that sweet couple and their grandchildren!!!!

Heather :) The cake looks awesome, I wouldn`t want to cut it!!! There is no such thing as too many books, I have bags of books stored in my garage, my brother asked me what I was going to do with them and I told him nothing, I might want to go through and read them again . Actually that is unlikely but I still can`t make myself give them away! Lovely bedroom! Yellow looks very nice with grays for another pop of color!

Yanniejannie :) So sorry to hear about your friend and her DH!!! DD will come around, they always do in their own time. I finally had to stop putting up a real tree, my allergies drove me nuts!!!

Robin :) So glad you`re feeling like yourself again!!!!

Beth :) Hope the uncured ham will be delicious!!!

Lesley :) I can`t believe your neighbor said you should not be exercising….I would be changing Drs. if one told me that!

Barbie :) I know you`re a fabulous line dance teacher!!!! Happy Hanukkah!!!

Joyce :) Stay away from those treats!!!!

Rori :) It`s always nice to see your posts!!!! Congrats on being younger than your age…woohoo!!!! Last time I had a bone scan, my bones were ten years younger than my age!!!

On Wednesday night my oldest granddaughter and I went to a cooking class, it was so much fun! We made Holiday fudge, white chocolate with cranberries and pistachios, it was yummy, then we made brownie mix to give as gifts, and dog cookies. The dog cookies really intrigued me, they are made with whole wheat flour, oats and peanut butter, I actually tasted them after they were done, not bad. I think I will make some of those for my friends furbabies, my furbaby can`t have peanut butter…. I will have to see if my granddaughter wants to help me! Next cooking class I`m going to take will involve no sweets!!!

Hope everyone is doing well! I know this time of year can be sad for so many, it took me a long time to love Christmas again. I`m wishing everyone happiness whatever you do!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in chilly NC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    On the way out the door for tai chi and yoga; all caught up on reading.....will post more later.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic.......30 this am and cloudy
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good Morning,

Deedee thanks you and others for responding to so many, glad surgery went well, and you found the joy of Christmas again.

Michelle never easy to lose a beloved pet.

I tried to help a student by telling him the expression "Just because you see the hook does not you mean to bite." I asked him what happens to the fish if he bites. He said, "It turns to mayonnaise.'
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

rose.gif MNMargaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Oh my word!
    I just have to tell you my day. Exhausting!
    I got very upset because DH couldn't see why I was getting myself into such a state over the books. He was tetchy and I was hurt, because to me it meant he didn't value my past. :cry: We started off by finding some colour coordinating books for the bedroom, mainly travel, art and history. Then we brought the rest of the many piles down to the "library" where I just couldn't decide what to do with them all. :ohwell: Eventually we put some more travel, art and biography on the shelves and then I ground to a halt and DH retired frustrated and irritable from the scene to leave me to my meltdown. At last, I have done it! ! ! ! ! Well, very nearly all of it. Just a couple of small piles left.
    The big problem, and the one that hurt me most, is all my Philosophy books. I did that and English Lit for my BA and Philosophy for my MA. The books have been in big dusty piles since we moved in 4 years ago. :ohwell: He thinks I will never look at them again. He is right, but that doesn't mean I want to throw my whole past and identity away. :sad: Eventually I crammed half into my study and half into the new bookshelves. Phew! I just hate that feeling of being overwhelmed and things out of control.
    Thanks for listening, ladies. Love you loads. :love:

Now to make the orange cake!

Heather, rapidly calming down in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I’ve never eaten a truffle. The picture is so appealing! Enjoy your treat. I agree with Beth in WNY about books. There can’t be too many. :noway: Unfortunately, there can be too many in my home. Your room looks wonderful! I don’t part with books very often, either. I have shelves full of them. DH loves kindle books and I do not. I like paper. :flowerforyou:

Lesley in Tasmaania: I wonder why your neighbor thinks she should give you advice. Perhaps she is jealous, doesn’t understand, or is a busybody. I’m glad you found a nice place to walk that doesn’t include her negativity. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Blasting DH out of the house may be impossible. I’m frustrated with him at the moment. :mad:

Sylvia: Today’s joke is amazing. I wonder if my family would send it to me. :flowerforyou:

Rori: I also believe our fur babies go to heaven. I hope I get to the Denver area. It isn’t looking too promising at the moment. :flowerforyou:

DSIL made a lovely offer to have us drop DH off with her and have me fly from Boise to Denver. I wonder if he’ll agree. I’m really frustrated because he caused his own misery by doing too heavy of work in the storage unit a couple of days ago. Wish us luck.

graphics-christmas-trees-980702.gif

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.”

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat.
    Went to dropp of some cookies for my friend with cancer.She was asleep.Told her husband,let her sleep.She called back to apologize.Ive been crying alot lately.It`s so hard to see someone you love so sick.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday here and my Rest and Re-feed day thank goodness, So Stan making bacon and eggs, then a drive out and walks, home and walks. Roast rack of lamb for dinner with roast veg

My neighbour argh! she is a scrawny 66 and has a "bad back" wonder why. If she cannot get her own way she takes to her bed and makes her husband cook, clean and look after the property. She rang dear friends, neighbours. They went to see her and she said she had been in bed 4 weeks. NO I put them right less than a week. She told them that women should never lift weights WHAT. The daughter of these friends is 27 and won body building competitions. I though my friend Betty was going to smash her face, but I said the comments were aimed at me. Toxic neigbour then backtracked. Oh to see her face. Betty has NEVER set foot in this woman's house but told her to get out of bed and help her husband who WAS sick. I am better off and more sane without the stupid woman. If I walk past her house she runs out to lecture me, I taught the dog to run past and ignore her. Found nicer walks now and doggy is happy again

From Jeannette Jenkins "Clear out the bad stuff to make room for the good stuff."
    Oh YES Jeannette

Lesley in Tasmania
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    Exermom, here is the machine, you 5arr9xokzfm5.jpg
    68755q9jaz26.jpg
    carurjlklm3nuf.jpg
    u can chane the machine to 3 different settings
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    :D Heather, for years I held onto every book I ever had and many that were my mother's and my sister's.......one day during a preparation for moving, I became willing to let almost all of them go.....until that moment, you couldn't have dragged those books away from me.....I understand how you feel.

:D Latkes for lunch again today..spent part of the morning helping Jake move firewood from the backyard stack to the stack near the house....got a 20% off coupon from PETCO in my e mail so we went there and bought a month's worth of food for Bernie and some treats.,,,,,rode the exercise bike and knitted for awhile....walked the dogs a few times first in the sun and later in the rain...still had to walk back and forth in the house for awhile to get my 18,000 steps.

:D I read a great story on the "Gratitude and Trust" daily message this morning and found my word for 2015....I'll reveal it on January 1.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”
    146200.png

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I am finally on my new computer. I am still discovering it, have to put in all my bookmarks and such. I thought it was a touch screen but I do't think it is. But that's quite alright with me. I can get to all the apps from the desk top and it still uses the mouse quite well, so we are getting along right now. Tonight though is my short evening since I go to bed earlier to get up for church. After church I rush home, get some lunch and then the church is going to this assisted living center for caroling. I will take my mini cupcakes along. I hope they have us leave all leftovers.

Joyce, Indiana