Fed Up

Options

Replies

• veronakings
    Options
    omg you are so bad at this I thought with 11k posts you could come up w/ a better insult than "you are illiterate". :/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    omg you are so bad at this I thought with 11k posts you could come up w/ a better insult than "you are illiterate". :/

hmmm and be insulting is something that one should be proud of???
  • veronakings
    Options
    oh yeah cliff notes... you didn't literally say "you are illiterate", but that is what you were implying by that strange and uh very unimaginative "diss". did one of your fb friends say that to someone in an argument about gun rights?
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I need to ask here, because it IS true that a lot of threads get posted twice or three times here. Isn't there a way to get a thread closed with a link to a previous thread or something?

As in: Issue discussed at length here. [link]
    Thread closed.

Just asking because it seems that the right now it just leads to a whole amount of annoyment and frustration from both sides every time without advancing any debates. Oh and let's not forget the CICO vs nutrients threads that end up with people saying the same thing, but coming from different points of view, for twenty or so pages. :smiley:

Then again, maybe it's better this way, as otherwise one would have to go through pages or pages to find the information needed and may possibly miss it?

I was just wondering as I haven't been around for that long, but that is how I usually see it happen on large forums that have recurring debates. :/
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh yeah cliff notes... you didn't literally say "you are illiterate", but that is what you were implying by that strange and uh very unimaginative "diss". did one of your fb friends say that to someone in an argument about gun rights?

*yawn* you bore me…

fly away little fly ..

come back and play when you get your posting history up or actually have some knowledge to contribute...
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I need to ask here, because it IS true that a lot of threads get posted twice or three times here. Isn't there a way to get a thread closed with a link to a previous thread or something?

Thread closed.

Just asking because it seems that the right now it just leads to a whole amount of annoyment and frustration from both sides every time without advancing any debates. Oh and let's not forget the CICO vs nutrients threads that end up with people saying the same thing, but coming from different points of view, for twenty or so pages. :smiley:

Then again, maybe it's better this way, as otherwise one would have to go through pages or pages to find the information needed and may possibly miss it?

I was just wondering as I haven't been around for that long, but that is how I usually see it happen on large forums that have recurring debates. :/

All the good information tends to get lost in all the mumbo jumbo. Really, the best thing for people to do is what is going to work best for them. If cutting out all sugar works best for them, then they should just do it despite what anyone else says. I think what gets people up in arms is when people who decide to do something like that acts as if everyone should do it, or they're not doing it right.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thread closed.

i believe the only way is for the OP of the thread to ask for it to be deleted/removed…other than that we are pretty much in thread purgatory with the repeats...
  • veronakings
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

*yawn* you bore me…

fly away little fly ..

come back and play when you get your posting history up or actually have some knowledge to contribute...

lol sorry

• veronakings
    Options
    also do people still post "*action*"? is it like an homage to mid 1990s dad's on aol chat?
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    also do people still post "*action*"? is it like an homage to mid 1990s dad's on aol chat?

I see people do it all the time in all kinds of forums. Although I don't do it, I just figured it was something that never ceased.
  • veronakings
    Options
    i hate it so much. haha almost as much as Tuesdays. I'm glad you don't do it.
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options
    i hate it so much. haha almost as much as Tuesdays. I'm glad you don't do it.

Lol, I remember the AOL chat rooms, especially the role playing ones. Those people were intense with it.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »

Thread closed.

All the good information tends to get lost in all the mumbo jumbo. Really, the best thing for people to do is what is going to work best for them. If cutting out all sugar works best for them, then they should just do it despite what anyone else says. I think what gets people up in arms is when people who decide to do something like that acts as if everyone should do it, or they're not doing it right.

I feared that may be the case. :/

That makes sense. It just irks me a bit that at times, whenever these repeated threads come up, they are often met with a lot of (please read to the end before arguing) a lot of comments that may come across as hostile. I am not talking about the "hard truths" comments, I am taking about the more snarky, sarcastic comments that don't really contain any information as to why OP is wrong and just come off as condescending or hostile.

Sure, some snark is fine and a healthy part of humour, but in the long run, when a thread becomes 80% snark it becomes unhelpful and can make people feel unwelcome. On the other hand, I understand that people get sick of repeating the same thing over and over again. (hell, I've been here for three weeks and even I am already sick of some of the threads)

So I was just wondering if "Link-Close" wouldn't be easier. I guess not though. D:

That said, this particular thread isn't too bad. It's actually taking a rather entertaining turn. :smiley:
  • GingerbreadCandy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    delete double
  • sassysniper
    sassysniper Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Thread closed.

That makes sense. It just irks me a bit that at times, whenever these repeated threads come up, they are often met with a lot of (please read to the end before arguing) a lot of comments that may come across as hostile. I am not talking about the "hard truths" comments, I am taking about the more snarky, sarcastic comments that don't really contain any information as to why OP is wrong and just come off as condescending or hostile.

Sure, some snark is fine and a healthy part of humour, but in the long run, when a thread becomes 80% snark it becomes unhelpful and can make people feel unwelcome. On the other hand, I understand that people get sick of repeating the same thing over and over again. (hell, I've been here for three weeks and even I am already sick of some of the threads)

So I was just wondering if "Link-Close" wouldn't be easier. I guess not though. D:

I get where you're coming from. If you read the entire thread, you saw where I asked if newbies were welcome. I definitely understand long time members getting sick of the same threads/topics. Yet on Day 3 for me, it made me a little wary of starting a thread or responding because I wasn't sure what was going on until it was explained to me.

A moderator should be able to easily combine threads on the same topic, but I'm not a moderator here and have no desire to be. Been there and done that elsewhere and not doing it again. What a pain! lol
  • WatchJoshLift
    Options

Thread closed.

I get where you're coming from. If you read the entire thread, you saw where I asked if newbies were welcome. I definitely understand long time members getting sick of the same threads/topics. Yet on Day 3 for me, it made me a little wary of starting a thread or responding because I wasn't sure what was going on until it was explained to me.

A moderator should be able to easily combine threads on the same topic, but I'm not a moderator here and have no desire to be. Been there and done that elsewhere and not doing it again. What a pain! lol

You've only been here for 3 days? I remember when I first started. I have had a lot of success with MFP. Welcome!
  • sassysniper
    Options

Thread closed.

You've only been here for 3 days? I remember when I first started. I have had a lot of success with MFP. Welcome!

Thank you! I've been using the app for about a month now. I've only been on the website for 3 days. I didn't even know the website existed until then. lol
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options

Thread closed.

Lol. I have never been an internet moderator on large forums, but I have spent the last five years moderating real-life debates. I can't imagine what moderating an Internet discussion has to be like. Although banning people has to be a big plus. :smiley:
  • sassysniper
    Options

Thread closed.

Lol. I have never been an internet moderator on large forums, but I have spent the last five years moderating real-life debates. I can't imagine what moderating an Internet discussion has to be like. Although banning people has to be a big plus. :smiley:

LOL! Yes, the banning was a plus when necessary. It felt great to ban trolls. :smiley:

I'm a patient person and taught 6th graders for years. My students were easier to moderate. When a volunteer moderating position is driving you to drinking, it's time to move on. lol
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    marathon23 wrote: »
    Why am I surprised by the lack of social decency in comments found on the internet? You wouldn't speak to someone the way you have me in person...but yet here you are online.
    wow. you really are new here if you think these responses are mean. lol.

Serious question here. Not being a jerk. Are newbies welcome on the forum? Or is it a "we like who's here screw the rest" vibe?

I've been using the app but am curious about the dynamics of the forum. Thanks in advance. :blush:

you are more than welcome here..

some us just get tired of the same ole posts over and over which tend to be:

1. sugar is evil
    2. detoxes/cleanses, etc
    3. calories are not really calories
    4. carbs are evil
    5. CICO does not work for me because I am "special'
    6. and of course everyones favorite, clean eating threads…

Nothing wrong with good debate and sharing information ..but the forums tend to be a waste land of food fear mongering and pseudo science….

clapping-crowd-applause.gif