New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    SuggaD wrote: »
    It s
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Got to try those oreos too. Although I admit... I've never had anything 'red velvet' in my life... What does it taste like?

I've always felt that it was just chocolate dyed red. LOL

Same here. It tastes like food coloring to me, honestly, and is a terrible mix with cream cheese. I've never understood red velvet.

My husband even "made me" try it from a really, really good bakery thinking I'd understand the subtle nuances of delicious fresh red velvet cake. NOPE!
    I bake quite a bit and bring it into my office and someone requested a red velvet cake. So, I would give it a try.....basically chocolate cake with a large bottle (actually 2 bottles) of red food coloring! It was good but I pooped red for a day! And I only had a small slice! Pass on the next one.....but my carrot cake is to die for!!!

Good red velvet cake shouldn't be made with food coloring. Vinegar.

Well that's interesting; that's the first time I've ever heard that. Now I'm curious to try a good red velvet cake...

Sometimes vinegar, but sometimes buttermilk. I've also heard that for true red velvet cake, beets are used for the color, not food dye.

I really enjoy red velvet cake, if it is a good one, but I've definitely had some that are just chocolate cake with red food coloring (those are not the good ones). The reason I like it is it is a good vehicle for cream cheese icing to get into my mouth...

No idea how true this is, but just for fun: foodandwine.com/fwx/food/7-things-you-definitely-did-not-know-about-red-velvet-cakehttp://

The original ones supposedly did not use any coloring at all, not even beets. The acid from the buttermilk and/or vinegar reacted with the cocoa (anthocyanin?) to create a slight reddish tint. You could still do that today, but you'd have to be careful to buy cocoa that's not been alkalized (so natural, not dutched). The cake is supposed to be slightly cocoa flavored with a light and velvety texture and frosted with a type of boiled roux frosting. Sounds plausible - don't think cream cheese was much in use in the 1800's.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    lingo10 wrote: »
    Went to Target. Bit bummed on the lack of some pumpkin stuff. No Fiber One bars (wanted to get more), no pumpkin cereal, and the Quaker pumpkin spice oatmeal doesn't seem to actually have any pumpkin in it...

I did however find this, which is new to me and looks delicious

reeses-nutrageous-1.jpg

I remember the Reeses Nutrageous! I havent seen them in a long time, so good!

I wish they still made the Reese's Whipps bar

08reeseswhipps.jpg
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    It s
    Got to try those oreos too. Although I admit... I've never had anything 'red velvet' in my life... What does it taste like?

Same here. It tastes like food coloring to me, honestly, and is a terrible mix with cream cheese. I've never understood red velvet.

My husband even "made me" try it from a really, really good bakery thinking I'd understand the subtle nuances of delicious fresh red velvet cake. NOPE!
    I bake quite a bit and bring it into my office and someone requested a red velvet cake. So, I would give it a try.....basically chocolate cake with a large bottle (actually 2 bottles) of red food coloring! It was good but I pooped red for a day! And I only had a small slice! Pass on the next one.....but my carrot cake is to die for!!!

Well that's interesting; that's the first time I've ever heard that. Now I'm curious to try a good red velvet cake...

Sometimes vinegar, but sometimes buttermilk. I've also heard that for true red velvet cake, beets are used for the color, not food dye.

I really enjoy red velvet cake, if it is a good one, but I've definitely had some that are just chocolate cake with red food coloring (those are not the good ones). The reason I like it is it is a good vehicle for cream cheese icing to get into my mouth...

No idea how true this is, but just for fun: foodandwine.com/fwx/food/7-things-you-definitely-did-not-know-about-red-velvet-cakehttp://

The original ones supposedly did not use any coloring at all, not even beets. The acid from the buttermilk and/or vinegar reacted with the cocoa (anthocyanin?) to create a slight reddish tint. You could still do that today, but you'd have to be careful to buy cocoa that's not been alkalized (so natural, not dutched). The cake is supposed to be slightly cocoa flavored with a light and velvety texture and frosted with a type of boiled roux frosting. Sounds plausible - don't think cream cheese was much in use in the 1800's.

It's funny - I googled red velvet cake too before I posted this to make sure I was correct about the beets being used - and I saw/read that link! I also think that if you are eating a true red velvet cake it is much less red than the ones with the food coloring used.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kristinels wrote: »
    Ok I really like the triple chocolate kit kats and LOVE the Reese's nutrageous. Glad it's snack sizes though, so it's easier to fit in my days (I might have eaten one of each for breakfast).

I must find those triple chocolate KitKats!!! They look delicious! They're even better frozen IMO - at least I like the regular ones that way.

Not sure if these are new, but they were new to me - yesterday I bought a bag of Snyders of Hanover Salted Caramel Pretzel Pieces. YUMMMMM. I had to give the bag to my hubby to guard after a handful or I might've seriously blown my calorie allotment last night. I made the mistake of 'trying' them as I was cooking dinner and still really hungry! Lol!

I've been eyeing those pretzels.
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    Vitamin Shoppe gave me a 25% coupon so I got some Quest vanilla protein powder (almost done with the caramel one, which is tasty, but I want something more versatile), quest chips, and these (had to pick a flavor as it only comes in a box, that one won). Has anyone had them yet? Definitely no calories to try them today

Lenny-Larrys-White-Chocolate-Complete-Cookie.png

I also had to rearrange my snack cupboard to make room and I have so many snacks, I'm going to have to hold off on buying anything for a while, lol.

LOVE this cookie.. except who can eat just half a cookie? for the macros the entire cookie isn't worth it for me.

I'm saving them for my 'I really want a big cookie' days, lol.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It s

Ha, that's what I use carrot cake for...
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The Biscoff and/or Trader Joe's cookie butter makes a delectable ice cream. I made mine with Biscoff butter plus some Trader Joe's chocolate chunks.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Cookies and cream little debbie squares. I didn't buy them.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    @BethAnnieT Have you tried this?
    OMG no but it looks good! I'll keep an eye out for it! :)
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok the Lenny and Larrie white chocolate macadamia cookie is fantastic. Still can't believe a huge cookie like that is only 370 calories though.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Also reporting on the salted caramel cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory. Figured it's a bad PMS day anyway and I'm going to go over, might as well fill up on things I'd been craving (for the record, it didn't fill me up one bit. WTH). And it wasn't worth the calories. I mean, it was good, but definitely not 1100 calories good (I have no idea how many calories it actually has, can't find the info anywhere, but it's probably around there). I don't know, the last 3-4 cheesecakes I've tried from them have been disappointing. I guess I won't get any from there anymore.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Last winter we had a massive tin of shortbread that someone dropped off in our office. I spread peanut butter between two, and it was amazing. I need to try that with cookie butter.

That sounds good too. You know TJ's has a cookie butter sandwich cookie now, but I haven't tried it yet.

The TJ's cookie butter sandwich cookie is wonderful. The cookie part is a very light, buttery shortbread - the cookies alone would be fabulous. With the cookie butter between them it's dangerous. I can't have them in the house at the moment.

I haven't dared trying those. I tried the hazelnut one at a friend's and it was fantastic... but I didn't buy them for the same reason, lol (I haven't seen them lately at TJ anyway).

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Last winter we had a massive tin of shortbread that someone dropped off in our office. I spread peanut butter between two, and it was amazing. I need to try that with cookie butter.

That sounds good too. You know TJ's has a cookie butter sandwich cookie now, but I haven't tried it yet.

The TJ's cookie butter sandwich cookie is wonderful. The cookie part is a very light, buttery shortbread - the cookies alone would be fabulous. With the cookie butter between them it's dangerous. I can't have them in the house at the moment.
    Yeah, I picked up a box months ago and enjoyed it.

I forgot to say something about this eariler, but I picked up pumpkin spice Mini-Wheats this week. They're adequate. I don't love em or dislike em.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Larabar+ALT+Pumpkin+Pie+Fruit+and+Nut+Bar+Close.JPG

Tried this bar tonight. The bar smells awful (sometimes I smell my food before I eat it), but the taste is very good with a lot of Pumpkin Pie spice & natural flavors. The calories are around 220.

I also tried the Keebler Pumpkin Spice cookies

The cookies don't have a lot of Pumpkin flavor, but seemed to have a small mixture of spices.

@Francl27

I bought the Planters Sundae flavors in Oatmeal & Strawberry today. Not sure when I'll get around to trying them though.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    You guys and gals seen this new milk that's made from almonds???? Goood lord back to the future 2 got that one right didn't they???
  • Francl27
    Options
    You guys and gals seen this new milk that's made from almonds???? Goood lord back to the future 2 got that one right didn't they???

You mean the new Almond Breeze stuff from the Impulsive Buy? It's from cashews.
  • ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Noooo I'm talking about almond milk not almond scent. ..
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Noooo I'm talking about almond milk not almond scent. ..

*stares*

Too much cereal, man. Too much cereal.