Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Charlie and I have had a lovely day at the zoo, and according to my Fitbit, we've walked over 8 miles! Not bad for a two year old! If I knew how to post pics, I'd post a selfie we took.

Man I want your kid. Mine whine after half a mile.

Confession - went to Mexican for lunch, I ordered the 880 calorie taco salad knowing I wouldn't eat the tortilla shell anyway... but I did. And I stole one of the kids cheese nachos. Still enough calories for a light dinner at least.

Also bought shortcakes at Trader Joe's because I'm craving strawberry shortcake so that's my breakfast tomorrow.

We went to Disneyworld when my son had just turned eight. We walked all over the parks for five days and we kept seeing kids my son's age being pushed around in strollers. I was amazed at that, because my son hadn't complained at all. On the last day, I said something to my son about the other kids his age in strollers. He replied with, "Yeah, my legs hurt and I'm tired, but I know dad would have just told me to suck it up."

Part of me felt bad. The other part of me was really proud of him for toughing it out and learning he could go farther than he thought he could.

Wow, sounds like my dad. Lol But it is a very good lesson learned. You must be proud! :smile:
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    DSC_0553.JPG

Awwwww Charlie is super cute, bless his cottons. :smile:
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    kensjojo wrote: »
    How far off are the calorie burns on mfp??? I've been living a lie!!!!!!!! Ugh I always use my stationary bike for an hour and then get all proud of my calories... I thought they were off so I just wrote it in as less time and effort but how on earth do you find out the true calorie burn??? :'(

A heart rate monitor is your best bet. Exercise burns from machines or MFP can be off a lot. Most people just eat back 50% of their calorie burns to be cautious.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

I'm not even totally caught up, but I am SO GLAD you opened up to us here @Susieq_1994 and are giving us all this info, both about your culture and your own personal self. I just gotta let it out: This girl *kitten* rocks!

Same goes for a lot of our regulars: @MoHousdon @Italian_Buju (BTW we are testing some AWESOME stuff here at my facility regarding diabetes, might be while before human clinical trials though.) @BZAH10 @pofoster21 @quiksylver296 @FrancI27 (I hope that's the right one) Sorry if I forgot some peeps! I love this thread so much. I think I love this thread more than I love guacamole.... and that's REALLY saying something.

How is your co-worker doing with their diabetes & trying to control it?

He is quitting. His last day will be July 3rd. He said he didn't like the idea of what we were doing and he wants to spend more time doing what HE wants to do. So he's quitting.

That made me chortle. Win-win!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    I tried Breyers Gelato and cant say I was overly impressed. it was Raspberry Cheesecake. Now I wish I had got the cappuccino flavor cuz I love coffee ice cream. Is Breyers a poor representation of Gelato? Should I try the Talenti or is that brand about the same? I hate to waste cals on a so-so treat.

Blech. I thought it was a total waste of calories. I tried the same one as you, and haven't gone back to try others.

Confession: I don't think Talenti is that great... (don't hurt me!)
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    annette_15 wrote: »
    EDC was amazing!!

Here's some pictures

6CsT7Aq.jpg

RUJnyHP.jpg

ipGKLTp.jpg

wEhIvWG.jpg

bRv41rp.jpg

7i12oIJ.jpg

uU0idFg.jpg

This looks like amazing as does your top!

I agree! The outfit turned out very cute (but I confess, it makes me feel really old, LOL!)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.

Oh, can I ask if you have one of these? I've always wondered if it was hard to swim in the modest suits, because of the extra fabric:

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

Nope, I don't own one--those suits actually don't meet the fardh (obligatory) requirements for modest clothing for women, especially because they cling when they're wet, and the shape of the body is revealed, which is the major requirement of covering.

If I'm going to swim, I swim in an all-women's facility with a modest swimsuit (even women aren't supposed to reveal nakedness to other women) or just jump into the ocean fully clothed because that's fun. ;)

I'm not even totally caught up, but I am SO GLAD you opened up to us here @Susieq_1994 and are giving us all this info, both about your culture and your own personal self. I just gotta let it out: This girl *kitten* rocks!

Same goes for a lot of our regulars: @MoHousdon @Italian_Buju (BTW we are testing some AWESOME stuff here at my facility regarding diabetes, might be while before human clinical trials though.) @BZAH10 @pofoster21 @quiksylver296 @FrancI27 (I hope that's the right one) Sorry if I forgot some peeps! I love this thread so much. I think I love this thread more than I love guacamole.... and that's REALLY saying something.

Hahaha! Great line! I have to agree. Although I logged on this morning to 233 new posts. I don't think I'll be able to catch up and I know I'm going to miss some great stuff! :(
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    DSC_0553.JPG

I don't if this works!

ETA: it did! This was Charlie and I at the end of our day at the zoo

this is before we set off:
    DSC_0440.JPG

Lunchtime:
    DSC_0472.JPG

this was charlie at the end of the day:
    DSC_0556.JPG

and i might be a little bit biased, but i do think he really is a beautiful kid

He is absolutely gorgeous!!! So, so cute!
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    I tried Breyers Gelato and cant say I was overly impressed. it was Raspberry Cheesecake. Now I wish I had got the cappuccino flavor cuz I love coffee ice cream. Is Breyers a poor representation of Gelato? Should I try the Talenti or is that brand about the same? I hate to waste cals on a so-so treat.

Blech. I thought it was a total waste of calories. I tried the same one as you, and haven't gone back to try others.

Confession: I don't think Talenti is that great... (don't hurt me!)

I would agree. I wish I had tried a different flavor. I woke up at like 5am with a stomach ache, too. Now I am scared to buy more and they also turn out to be a waste (or even worse, a gut grenade). I might try Talenti down the road but it will have to be under a severe moment of weakness.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    festerw wrote: »
    Today marks 1 year of food logging for me, this time last year I was 250lbs and wearing 42" waist pants and couldn't run an 1/8 of a mile. Now I'm 180lbs, wearing 32" waist pants and run 3 miles a few times a week.

The really surprising part to me is that with the exception of the first month it just seems too easy and I feel like if I stop logging the weight will show back up overnight.

Super great, Uncle Fester!!! :p
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I have a hard time refusing anything with caramel in it...

Mmmmmm, me too! I love good caramel!
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    ohgeeque wrote: »
    Day three of my birthday weekend. I want to thank everyone for the kind wishes and sound advice. I did eat cake and fried chicken. I did have a great time with my family. If I count ALL of my exercise calories, I did stay in the green.

I confess that I have a perceptional problem. I feel that if I don't stay in the green I will suddenly gain back all of the weight that I have loss. I know that isn't true. I even understand that that there is a buffer space between weight loss and weigh gain that means any loss will be lower than my target goal but not an actual gain. What I know and how I feel are not in sync.

I had an eating disorder 15 years ago. I see the pictures, 5'7" and 103 lbs. and even I am appalled. I don't want to go there again. I don't know what else to say. :(

That's incredible and a huge congratulations to you! I've been wanting really good fried chicken for some time now, but I don't see it in my future.

I think it's normal to have skewed perceptions when it comes to weight loss/gain. Just focus on one day at a time and I'm sure you'll continue to do great.

I'm 5'7 and weigh around 131 so I cannot imagine only weighing 103 lbs. I'm so glad you got healthy.

• spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    Morning all, I read up to page 1000 (super great) but have skipped another 18 whoops.

I'm feeling pretty bloated and massive (I'm 11 weeks pregnant but it's not visible) and was actually rather pleased to discover I've only put on 3 lbs so far. I had hoped to put on no more than 3-5 lbs during the first trimester so that's a win for me. The part I don't understand; I'm still about 13 lbs lighter than 6 months ago, but I feel huge, bigger than I did back then! It's probably hormonal.

Anyway, the confession is, boy am I glad I hung on to my larger clothes. I'm nowhere near needing maternity wear yet, so it's nice to have a larger size option without spending money on something I'll only wear for a couple of months. Hurrah for my fat trousers!

Awww but it's a good fat!

So would it be considered really bad if you didn't put any weight on?

You don't need to put on weight at all during the first trimester (unless you were underweight to begin with). Since I was about a stone overweight to being with, it would be okay for me to put on as little as 15 lbs all in. Of course, I doubt that will happen. If I stay under 25 I'll be happy. But honestly, I'm trying not to worry about it too much. My blood pressure and all that jazz are fine and the midwife isn't concerned. I have the rest of my life to lose weight after the baby is born. So I'm trying not to let it bother me. It's just a complete change of mindset when you've been actively trying to lose weight in the months leading up.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    @Tubbs216 thank you xx
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    EDC was amazing!!

Here's some pictures

6CsT7Aq.jpg

RUJnyHP.jpg

ipGKLTp.jpg

wEhIvWG.jpg

bRv41rp.jpg

7i12oIJ.jpg

uU0idFg.jpg

You look incredible! Glad you had a good time.

• spamarie
    Options
    trvlpk wrote: »
    I don't know how to eat "healthy" and do not know what good nutrition means. :/ Also, I am a compulsive overeater/food addict that is finding it very hard to find recovery.

I think others have given you advice on what is 'healthy' and if not, you can find that on the internet pretty easily.

My two cents are, if you're at the very beginning, my advice would be to pick one thing to change, get that down for a couple of weeks, then pick another. It's hard to change everything at once. For example, you could cut down (or cut out) sugary soda one month. Then aim to eat more vegetables the next. Or drink more water. Or switch to wholegrains, or lean meat, or any number of things a doctor would advise you do. I found it much less overwhelming to tackle these things one at a time. I still find certain aspects difficult, but other habits have become so second nature I don't even need to think about it. Good luck to you.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    @Tubbs216 thank you xx
    You're welcome! I believe in you!!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    DSC_0553.JPG

I don't if this works!

ETA: it did! This was Charlie and I at the end of our day at the zoo

this is before we set off:
    DSC_0440.JPG

Lunchtime:
    DSC_0472.JPG

this was charlie at the end of the day:
    DSC_0556.JPG

and i might be a little bit biased, but i do think he really is a beautiful kid

OMG He is adorable and you are beautiful!!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    @orangesmartie Charlie is a little cutie. Glad to see you two having a great time together!
    @festerw Great stuff! You made me look back to check what my first day of logging, at least on MFP, was. I'm just groaning at my stupid mistakes.

On the topic of kids and walking, I went to the mall with the family for one of the niece's birthdays when I still had to be in a wheelchair and the older girl, around nine, said I was lucky because I didn't have to walk.
  • spamarie
    Options

8r71esdpgap0.jpg

You, I like. I have been known to make a quick and dirty quacamole (diced avocado, halved grape tomatoes, some salt/garlic/lime juice) for breakfast.

I have never tried guacamole.....or avocado actually....

I keep trying to will myself to like avocado but I can't. It is gross! Bleurgh.