Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Caitwn wrote: »
    festerw wrote: »
    festerw wrote: »
    I may have convinced my brother to take his Taco someplace I pretty much knew he'd get stuck just so I could use the Jeep to pull him out.
    IMAG0858_zps4bep4epa.jpg

I also had a burger, slice of pizza and my last 2 Oreo pop tarts for lunch. Plus my leg hurts so I'm not even exercising today.

What is a taco?!?! Other than delicious Mexican food, which I can only assume is not what you're referring to in this particular context.

Toyota Tacoma and now I want the Mexican food version lol.

Sigh. I may make the best chile rellenos in the world (no sense in false modesty =P) but there's no way I am touching that recipe until I am deeply entrenched in maintenance eating. I sure love that stuff, though.

Teach me your ways! When I lived in Tucson I got decent at cooking a variety of Mexican foods, but rellenos avoided me.

Edit: Spelling is hard.

Glad to oblige - I love sharing recipes! The most common missteps I see with rellenos are using a flour-based batter and using (oh please god don't do this) enchilada sauce instead of salsa.

Anyway, here is a good traditional recipe, and I apologize to others on this thread that it is so long:
    Chile Rellenos
    Ingredients
    3 C. high-quality roasted-tomato salsa (translation: Don't go buy the stuff in jars at the grocery). Some people prefer a Salsa Verde, which can be lovely as well. Either way, I prefer to make my own. Let me know if you want a recipe - it's easy to make! These days, many stores carry pretty good fresh salsas.
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt (measured) plus additional to taste
    4 whole medium-sized Poblano or Anaheim chiles (about 1 lb.)
    Note: Anaheim chiles are slightly milder than Poblano. I prefer Poblano because they are wider and easier to work with, plus I find their flavor a bit richer. They are only a little hotter than Anaheims.
    3 C. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    1 C. vegetable oil of your choice
    4 large eggs, separated and at room temperature. Note: Separate the eggs when they're cold, then bring them to room temp. Make SURE there is no yolk mixed in with the egg whites or they won't froth up properly.

Directions
    Warm the salsa in a small saucepan and hold it at that temp while you work on the chiles.
    Heat the oven to 250.
    Put a wire cooling rack on a baking sheet and set aside.

Make a "T" shaped cut in each chile, with the top bar being about half an inch from the stem and the long cut running nearly the whole length of the chile. Don't cut off the stem end completely - you need the chile to be a little container :)

Carefully open the flaps of the cut and use a paring knife and/or spoon to gently remove the core, ribs, and seeds.
    If you have a gas stove, turn a burner to medium-high and roast each chile by putting it directly on the burner and turning with tongs for 5-7 minutes or until the skin on all sides is blistered and has blackened spots. OR turn your broiler to high and put the chiles on a rack. Broil 8-9 minutes, turning with tongs, until skin on all sides is blistered/blackened. Chiles broiled this way will be a tad softer, so be careful when working with them.

Remove the chiles to a large bowl, cover tightly, and let sit until they are cool enough to handle (they will continue to steam, which makes the skins easier to remove). Then use a butter knife to GENTLY scrape away and discard the skins.

Yes, I know this is more of a hassle than just buying canned chiles, but roasting the fresh chiles like this is one of the keys to making the dish really amazing (the others are good salsa and the correct batter).

Season the chiles inside and out with salt and black pepper. Stuff each with a generous 2/3 C. of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese, then close flaps (you can use a wooden skewer if you like) and set aside.

Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl until light in color and frothy (about 2 minutes).

Add 1/2 tsp. salt to the egg whites and use a mixer to beat until stiff peaks form (about 1.5 minutes)

Add the egg yolks to the whites and gently fold them in with a spatula until they are just barely combined. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until it's quite hot - about 4 minutes.

Work with one chile at a time. Drop 1/2 C. of the egg batter into the oil and use a spatula to spread it out to about the same size as the chile. Lay the chile cut-side down on top of the batter. Drop another 1/2 C. of batter on top and use a spatula to spread it evenly around the rest of the chile, covering all but the stem.

Cook until the bottom is golden-brown (2-3 minutes). Then use a spatula + a fork to carefully turn the relleno over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. If you need to, use a spatula or tongs to stand it on each side to brown. Place the relleno on the rack that's on the baking sheet, and put into the oven to keep warm. Do the same with the remaining chiles as you finish them.

To serve, put 1/3 C. of the warmed roasted tomato salsa on a plate and top with a chile relleno. Serve additional salsa on the side. If you don't like salsa (sacrilege!) you could serve them over fire-roasted tomatoes.

@Caitwn if you (or anyone else who actually uses computers every now and then instead of doing everything on a smartphone) want to copy and paste into the super great recipes.

I'll do it now! I forgot about this one. :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    @ythannah Wowza!! Your SO was right! Nice muscles!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 Super Great on the deadlift!! Gotta love the supportive, appreciative SOs too!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Okay I came across this list that I find pretty entertaining:
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/smart-living/35-things-canadians-say-that-americans-dont-understand/ar-AAcqaYU?ocid=mailsignoutmd

And I have to know: Does nobody else have Freezies?! Or do they go by a different name in other countries?

ETA: I have never once used the phrases "hang a larry" or "hang a roger". And I would just refer to them as "tighty whities"
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    @Italian_Buju I'm so sorry you grew up with a mother like that. There are no words (((((hugs)))))
    I think there are. 'Sociopath' is what comes to mind. Seriously.
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    Yes! Very impressive!
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    @nonoelmo "all muscle" lol

91sVhdH.jpg

Yeah!! All muscle! Wtg
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Lovely definition @ythannah !
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Yes! Very impressive!

I agree!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/smart-living/35-things-canadians-say-that-americans-dont-understand/ar-AAcqaYU?ocid=mailsignoutmd

And I have to know: Does nobody else have Freezies?! Or do they go by a different name in other countries?

ETA: I have never once used the phrases "hang a larry" or "hang a roger"
    I didn't know all of these. Am I fired?

In the UK freezies are 'ice pops'. My redneck (by choice) nephew says Larry & Roger.
  • ShibaEars
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

ETA: I have never once used the phrases "hang a larry" or "hang a roger"
    I didn't know all of these. Am I fired?

In the UK freezies are 'ice pops'. My redneck (by choice) nephew says Larry & Roger.

There were a couple I didn't know either, so maybe we're both fired?
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    So, this is my view for tonight!

1chgsskn3p9i.jpg

I'm so stoked! :smiley:

@Italian_Buju I'm so sorry for what you went through with your mother! ((Hugs))
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

91sVhdH.jpg

Nice!! Super great definition!
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options

ETA: I have never once used the phrases "hang a larry" or "hang a roger". And I would just refer to them as "tighty whities"

I'm with you! In fact the word gotch is just weird to me. But that's what my parents would call them.

Hang a Larry or a roger must either be a prairie or east coast thing.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Confession: for a long time I thought 'tighty whiteys' was actually 'tidy whiteys'.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    51cfb87d785b3.preview-620.jpg
    My 4th = a 5k I have not trained for and I am not running regularly. Followed that evening by a wine and chocolate pairing and a magnificent steak and elegant side salad with the best wine I have ever had. Desert is more wine and chocolate. Fireworks are in the distance but in clear view. Good company. Daughter running with me. Evening is SO and one other couple.

ETA, picture is approximately what we will see, we are a little further out. :smiley:

ETA - I have the chocolate I special ordered for this, I will probably pick up a few more "bonus" bars and truffles...
  • jthurman3
    jthurman3 Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Confession: for a long time I thought 'tighty whiteys' was actually 'tidy whiteys'.

ME, TOO!! :grin:
  • jthurman3
    Options

91sVhdH.jpg

Nice!! You are all muscle!!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    So, this is my view for tonight!
    Have fun!!
  • jthurman3
    Options
    @orangesmartie - Have a GREAT climb!! I'll be cheering you on from the States. I'm looking forward to pics when you get back!

I'm heading out for a 3-day weekend in a few minutes. I'll catch up on Monday, but wanted to wish everyone a happy weekend!