Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Based on the video ad that keeps playing today, I speak Spanish and should buy a Lexus.

I am already over calories for the day and haven't even had dinner. (Who knew Lennys Subs cookies were 350 calories each?!)

Apparently I need new gym clothes lol.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    jthurman3 wrote: »
    @WestCoastJo82 Can you tell me the name of the lifting program you do? I'm at work with the overly zealous interwebs filter, so I probably can't look it up here. But can you tell me the basic lifts you do? We have a power rack at home and I'm wondering if the lifts are ones I could manage at home.

ETA: Strong Lifts? Is that it?
    That's awesome! I wish I had the space for one.

http://stronglifts.com/ You can also check out the Strong Lifts app. I tried it a while back and probably would have made better progress if I wasn't overdoing cardio and my deficit. I am seriously ashamed of my dairy on Fatsecret. :/

Hubby wanted the power rack SO badly a couple years ago, so we splurged and got it. I've never actually used it, so maybe it's time I learn. I mean, I stare at it while I ride our stationary bike in the garage, so perhaps I should get a little better acquainted. :tongue:

I think you should too! It makes me so happy to see more women trying it out, I absolutely love it. I'm gutted I haven't had time to do it this week so I'm feeling a little weak this week. lol Hopefully I will make it to the gym tomorrow but I'm on a week off next week, so I don't think it will happen. :cry:
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    @WestCoastJo82 Can you tell me the name of the lifting program you do? I'm at work with the overly zealous interwebs filter, so I probably can't look it up here. But can you tell me the basic lifts you do? We have a power rack at home and I'm wondering if the lifts are ones I could manage at home.

Yes! Strong lifts 5x5 is the name of the program. If you have a power rack at home you are completely set! (And I'm insanely jealous of you and @ythannah). SL is just two workouts that you alternate - three lifts per workout, 5 sets of 5 reps (except deadlift, that's only one set). A is squat, bench, row and B is squat, overhead press, deadlift. Ideal programming is three times a week, but I only do twice a week sometimes and I'm still steadily progressing. If you download the free app it tells you when and how much to up your weight (which is everytime unless you fail) and will tell you to decrease weight if you fail too many times in a row. Also has a nifty timer built in to make sure you're resting enough between sets.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I think I'd like to try that out after I finish up with the last 10-12 lbs I wanted to lose. I've never done a dead lift and am irrationally worried about hurting my back somehow... heh... I think I'll watch some videos re: form and such... or just ask Mr. Jenni, cuz he know that stuff. Maybe it can be something we do together!

Don't be afraid! Form videos are your friends, as is starting slow with low weight to get your form correct before you could hurt yourself, and definitely include Mr. Jenni!
    I am the clutziest person around, I'm lifting weights many would consider heavy now, and if I can get here damage free, I promise, you can too!
    Also, no need to wait (for the last few pounds) to start lifting unless you want to. You can get newbie lifter bonus points even in a deficit. You might not progress as quickly as you could eating at maintenance but you can still get strength gains. I circuit trained all through my weight loss and definitely got stronger.

I agree with everything said here. And the bolded is me all over, I'm one of those people who would fall backwards off the treadmill, which is why I run in the park on the grass instead. lol
    And you definitely shouldn't wait, so many times I've read on the success stories that they wish they had started it sooner, so I started when I was 215lbs. :smile:
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    I committed to baking a PannuKakku (Finnish dessert like a custardy French toast served with jam) for daycare's cultural potluck on Friday. I love it. I will have to resist the urge to faceplant in it. I love desserts that aren't super sweet (I will almost always pick a lime/citrus/nut something or other over caramel bc I'm weird like that) but I don't usually eat desserts (which is weird for a baker, I know). I eat like 1/2 a Hershey's mini and I'm good lol. I'll actually eat 2 tbsp. of homemade nut butter (I make mine without sugar) before a brownie.

Are you Finnish?

I ask because the SO is and Finn pancakes are often a supper meal at our home. He's never mentioned or produced that dessert, however... surprising, considering his sweet tooth.

He's a total Finn food snob, lol. He sneers at the fundraiser Pulla I occasionally buy, saying it's nowhere as good as his mum's.

DH is lol... He's from the UP of Michigan (which has the highest concentration of Finns outside of Finland). My Pulla is decent but nothing compared to his grandmother's. He misses her food a ton (she's been dead about 5? years). I can make some stuff and I wish I knew the language but other than a few sentences, I don't.

I'm Irish (one side grandparents off the boat, the other side, one was off the boat) and a trace Serbian. I make a mean soda bread ;)

SO's mum was off the boat, Dad's side had been here a few generations. I'm off the boat (well, it was plane) Scottish.

I should mention that he may sneer at the inferior Pulla, but still manages to put aside his principles and gobble it up.

I don't attempt any Finn dishes, that's his department. But I make killer stovies.

I hate stovies!!

I'm a scots girl born and bred - from the borders.
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    I had a dream last night that I started SL 5x5. I was at the Y and I was completely lost on what to do and what machine to use and NO ONE would help me, they all just continued doing their thing even though I looked like a lost child hiding the clothes rack.

This is my fear. I will get up the courage to start and will be totally lost and no one will help me, so I just take myself back to the cardio stuff because it's easy and I have yet to hurt myself on it.

I have anxiety over this. :(

I had anxieties about it. So I've hired a trainer to show me how to use the equipment and give me a programme. Then he can bugger off and i'll go it alone for a few weeks, and then bring him back for adjustments.
  • orangesmartie
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Yes! Strong lifts 5x5 is the name of the program. If you have a power rack at home you are completely set! (And I'm insanely jealous of you and @ythannah). SL is just two workouts that you alternate - three lifts per workout, 5 sets of 5 reps (except deadlift, that's only one set). A is squat, bench, row and B is squat, overhead press, deadlift. Ideal programming is three times a week, but I only do twice a week sometimes and I'm still steadily progressing. If you download the free app it tells you when and how much to up your weight (which is everytime unless you fail) and will tell you to decrease weight if you fail too many times in a row. Also has a nifty timer built in to make sure you're resting enough between sets.

Perfect! Thanks for the info! I think I'd like to try that out after I finish up with the last 10-12 lbs I wanted to lose. I've never done a dead lift and am irrationally worried about hurting my back somehow... heh... I think I'll watch some videos re: form and such... or just ask Mr. Jenni, cuz he know that stuff. Maybe it can be something we do together!

Don't be afraid! Form videos are your friends, as is starting slow with low weight to get your form correct before you could hurt yourself, and definitely include Mr. Jenni!
    I am the clutziest person around, I'm lifting weights many would consider heavy now, and if I can get here damage free, I promise, you can too!
    Also, no need to wait (for the last few pounds) to start lifting unless you want to. You can get newbie lifter bonus points even in a deficit. You might not progress as quickly as you could eating at maintenance but you can still get strength gains. I circuit trained all through my weight loss and definitely got stronger.

I agree with everything said here. And the bolded is me all over, I'm one of those people who would fall backwards off the treadmill, which is why I run in the park on the grass instead. lol
    And you definitely shouldn't wait, so many times I've read on the success stories that they wish they had started it sooner, so I started when I was 215lbs. :smile:

I'm 2 weeks in on a weights routine (with trainer and horrendeous DOMS) at 213lbs
  • Lois_1989
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm 2 weeks in on a weights routine (with trainer and horrendeous DOMS) at 213lbs

The DOMS die down after a couple of weeks. Just keep going at it, make sure you drink plenty of water and try to fit in a protein shake. I found a low cal on in Holland & Barrett

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/precision-engineered-whey-protein-powder-cookies-cream-60035607

87Kcal a serving and the cookies and cream one tastes AMAZING as long as you don't use warm water. Then it's not so good.

and Edit because YAY! Go you for doing weights! I'm so proud of you! <3
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Hit my 30 lb down goal. Time for some new pretty wristbands for my flex.

I love you guys for keeping me on track!
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    @orangesmartie Good for you for lifting! I'm going to start around the end of August when I can go on my way to work.

• Lois_1989
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »

WOOOO! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! :smiley:
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

@Glinda1971 CONGRATZ! You deserve it!

I bought myself a trip to the dermatologist instead of the 'nice piece of jewelry' as my reward for 190>. Now I'm about to hit 180> and I am TERRIFIED I wont be able to get a mini vacation of any sort. We just have too many people out of the department right now due to health issues. I might have to change the reward...

ETA: Maybe I will buy myself a fitbit? :wink:
  • orangesmartie
    Options

The DOMS die down after a couple of weeks. Just keep going at it, make sure you drink plenty of water and try to fit in a protein shake. I found a low cal on in Holland & Barrett

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/precision-engineered-whey-protein-powder-cookies-cream-60035607

87Kcal a serving and the cookies and cream one tastes AMAZING as long as you don't use warm water. Then it's not so good.

do protein shakes help? Do you mix the powder with water? or milk?

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options

No no no, I am the clutziest person around! Seriously, most of the time it's all I can do to put one foot in front of the other without injuring myself.

And I manage to lift weights just fine. I do more damage to myself with the yard work than lifting.

Lifting has made me feel somewhat "athletic" for the first time in my life.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

YES! GOD YES! I could not LIVE the day after lifting without my Muscle Milk. I mix mine with 1 cup water and 1 cup almond milk but it's up to you, what your flavor preferences are like and what your calorie intake can handle.
  • Lois_1989
    edited July 2015
    Options

Uh that's the big debate. I kinda feel like it does, but now I'm on low-carb I can't hit the protein macro without it, I just can't eat that much, it's easier to chug a protein shake. I started having protein shakes because I just felt like I wasn't recovering well enough. By Friday I wasn't lifting as well as I did on Monday and just felt fatigued. But if you feel great without it then by all means skip the protein shake and have an egg or something, it's just as good.

Which ever one you prefer. When I'm in the office I just use water but on the weekends after me and the SO come back from a run I make us one with milk and ice in the blender so it's more of a milkshake.

Oh and the one I linked comes in single serving sachets in the shop if you don't want to commit to a tub right away. I think it comes in Strawberry, Chocolate, Banana, Cookies & Cream and natural so you can try each flavour and see how you feel about it before paying £40 for a tub.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

No no no, I am the clutziest person around! Seriously, most of the time it's all I can do to put one foot in front of the other without injuring myself.

And I manage to lift weights just fine. I do more damage to myself with the yard work than lifting.

Lifting has made me feel somewhat "athletic" for the first time in my life.

Yes yes yes!
  • orangesmartie
    Options

Uh that's the big debate. I kinda feel like it does, but now I'm on low-carb I can't hit the protein macro without it, I just can't eat that much, it's easier to chug a protein shake. I started having protein shakes because I just felt like I wasn't recovering well enough. By Friday I wasn't lifting as well as I did on Monday and just felt fatigued. But if you feel great without it then by all means skip the protein shake and have an egg or something, it's just as good.

Which ever one you prefer. When I'm in the office I just use water but on the weekends after me and the SO come back from a run I make us one with milk and ice in the blender so it's more of a milkshake.

Oh and the one I linked comes in single serving sachets in the shop if you don't want to commit to a tub right away. I think it comes in Strawberry, Chocolate, Banana, Cookies & Cream and natural so you can try each flavour and see how you feel about it before paying £40 for a tub.

Thanks I'll check them out :)
  • Lois_1989
    Options

Thanks I'll check them out :)

No problemo. Anything to help. :smile:
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

That is WONDERFUL!!! Congratulations!
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

You guys are starting to make me want to do this. I already barely have time for all I am doing I am going to resist but I am starting to feel like I am really missing something.

And remember ... I AM the one who DID fall off the treadmill.