Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    If we're still doing confessions, here's mine for the day, then I should REALLY try and get some work done.

I came to work with my pants unzipped today. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got to my office and called Mr. Mo and looked down to see that my barn door had been left open. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, or not, but I'm sure glad I did before the day went on any further.
    Hahah! Oops!
    I used to work in an engineering office - 95% male. 42.3% of them would walk around unzipped most of the time, and I'd have to try not to notice.
    Is it just a British thing to say "You've got egg on your chin" to subtly alert someone that their fly is unzipped? Is there an American equivalent?

That's a British thing?!??
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    I think you are beautiful @Susieq_1994

So do I.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    saraherren wrote: »
    My sweet dog passed away this morning and I couldn't be any more miserable.v39ckqj9u38n.jpg

I am so sorry. It's awful to lose a pet.
  • adbhmb
    adbhmb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have taken almost every fad "weight loss" pill out there, and even though I KNOW they don't work I still look them all over every time I'm in that section of the store.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Su
    bkhamill wrote: »
    No time to read and catch up right now, but here are some pics of the new grandbaby, Lily Kay!hbbetwvo8su1.jpg
    p62qbks28dkf.jpg

Super Adorable!!!! Congratulations!!!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    I confess it always baffles me when someone brings up that I am left handed as it is some rare disease. Any other lefties here?

Me... or mostly. I was in an accident as a kid and never reliably got my left hand fine motor control back so I can write lefty but it's easier to read my right-handed writing. (Could someone saint my 2nd grade teacher for teaching me to write again?) I "mouse" with my left hand and open doors with my left hand so on, but I am afraid to use knives or scissors left handed. I have broken more coffee mugs than I can count because my left hand just stops responding. It's a very weird feeling.
    But, I digress, it's really odd the way people treat me because my mouse is on the left side of my desk and I sprang for a lefty keyboard. It's like I'm from Mars or something.

My youngest is also a lefty.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    adbhmb wrote: »
    I have taken almost every fad "weight loss" pill out there, and even though I KNOW they don't work I still look them all over every time I'm in that section of the store.

Everyone is tempted by the easy out. Unfortunately, we have to work hard for the things in life that are worth having.
  • girldownsouth
    Options
    I am never, ever gonna get caught up in the batcave! UGH!

I'm on 1334 here and haven't even looked in the batcave since before my holiday :/
  • girldownsouth
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    @Lois_1989 YOU'RE BACK!!!! You have been missed!!!! <3 And now, I am going to find a calculator to see how much you are lifting in lbs, cuz I have no idea.

ETA: Nice lifting, Lois! Those are great numbers (now that I know what they equal)

Ditto!!

And I'm a middle-aged Canadian... the metric system was introduced while I was in school... I can think in both lbs and kg, inches and cm, grams and oz, miles and km, Celsius and Fahrenheit...

I have to convert, but can do so in my head....I prefer lbs, feet/inches, km and fahrenheit, lol, I know, so messed up!

I don't convert, I just know. And I'm all over the place with how I express measurements. I prefer lbs for my own weight and my lifts (because all my plates are in lbs), km for driving, miles for walking, celsius for temperature... but I can do snowfall in either inches or cm, use feet and meters interchangeably, comfortable with both grams/ml and ounces for cooking or food measuring.

And carbonated beverages are always POP.

I'm like this on a lot of things too, can't deal with oz for cooking though, always grams, but weigh myself in stones and pounds. And the opposite with miles km, use miles driving (but our road signs are in miles) and km or miles for walking /running.

Fizzy drinks here for pop/soda etc. Or maybe soft drink, but that doesn't have to be carbonated, just non alcoholic.
  • girldownsouth
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    I bought coffee today after not having it since being in Punta Cana. Drank two big cups of it and now I'm wide awake despite it being past 1 AM. It was delicious goodness in a mug, but I kind of want to sleep now.
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Ok... I have a fun question for you guys: What do you call soda? Do you call it pop, soda, soft drink, or coke (for all drinks)? I grew up in South Carolina and down there, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much all of us call it soda. I've never heard anyone actually say ''pop.'' And why would you call every soda ''Coke?" Coke is a specific drink!!!

I took a quiz to see where in the US I sound like I'm from. Florida, Maine, and Boston were high up there (Boston, really?). Here's the quiz if you guys want something to do: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

:lol:

EDIT: Apparently I sound absolutely nothing like people from Detroit.
    EDIT2: Took the quiz again and got three cities in California. No matter what it says Detroit is least similar.

Apparently the use of the word sneakers isolated me to Yonkers, Newark and New York... Guess since I have lived most of my life in that area, except for 15 years between WI and IL, I would say that makes sense!
    On the shoe question I initially put "sneakers" and noticed that one of the options was tennis shoes right after I clicked NEXT. I think that's why it put me as sounding like I'm from Boston... I definitely say tennis shoes way more than sneakers.

I say it like "tenna shoes," even. I suppose that's more southern :tongue:

@FluffySandwich Where did you stay in Punta Cana?? Mr. NY and I are planning to go in October or December!

I know you didn't actually ask me, but I got back on Thursday. We stayed in the Riu Palace Macau, which is an adults only all inclusive, and it was really nice.
  • girldownsouth
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot to tell you all this!!
    Remember my special needs boy who almost missed his exam and you all talked me down when I was freaking out about it?! He passed!! That means he's graduated high school, so we are all very, very happy and relieved.

@raelynnsmama52512 - This is the boy who at 3 was assessed and had virtually no language (receptive or expressive), plus a bunch of other learning issues, and at 15 was diagnosed on the autistic spectrum. He now has a girlfriend and a little circle of good friends, and has now graduated from the regular school program. I would never in my wildest dreams imagined he would be at this point when he was very young. Stick with it and I'm sure she'll surprise you.
    (Now he has to get a job!!)

@Tubbs216 This made me cry. My nephew, who is 3, has just been diagnosed with autism, literally two weeks ago. He has virtually no language, he doesn't speak. He also has hearing problems and has to wear hearing aids. He sees a speech therapist, an occupational therapist, and a physical therapist. His doctor that diagnosed him with autism is recommending an intense therapy program of 30 to 40 HOURS A WEEK, every week, year round, from anywhere from TWO TO SIX YEARS. My family was devastated by this, as it's hard to imagine our sweet little boy having to go through therapy all day every day. This costs around $50,000 a year. We're hoping my sister and brother in law's insurance will cover most/all of it. If not, we're planning to pull together as a family to make it work. We just want to give him the best chance possible at living a healthy, happy life. It is so encouraging to hear about stories like yours. I will share this with my sister, it will give her some hope.

I love this (not the bad parts of it obviously) but the shared experience and hope. Well done to your boy Tubbs!
  • girldownsouth
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Okay, as another word comparison, how do you say batteries?

Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?
    The correct way, of course. Batter-ees all the way!

How about the correct and every way superior ( ;) ) CRAY-ON versus "cran."

I have a cousin that pronounces it closer to "crown"
    HOW?

When I was in high school my English teacher decided to put some words on the board and see how we pronounced them. When it got to my turn I got stuck with the word "route." I started saying it one way, then switched and said it the other way. When people started laughing I said "I say both!"

... I pronounce "both" as "BOLTH." I got laughed at quite a bit :lol: It's just the way I said it in my head when I learned how to read.

I say schedule with sc rather than sh, apparently this is American.
  • girldownsouth
    Options
    Bat-trees or (the correct way lol) batter-ees ?
    Bat-trees all the way! Also, being a Brit Straw-brees (not straw-berries) and libree (not lib-ra-ry).

Yep
  • girldownsouth
    Options
    While we're on the topic of pronunciation... ENvelope or ONvelope? (I say "en")

Envelope... unless I'm speaking with a fake British accent

But I say envelope....
  • girldownsouth
    edited August 2015
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Except for crayon and coupon (q-pon), I pronounce each of those words interchangeably. I guess it depends on my mood or something.

I also randomly bust out with a fake British accent. :)

Doesn't every non-British person? I assume British people will bust out fake American or Canadian accents too.

Ya, I sometimes like to talk aboat things in a fake Canadian accent eh.

ETA: @MoHousdon if I do an American accent it's normally southern and involves using y'all at the end of everything and replacing the letter E with I sounds.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I confess it always baffles me when someone brings up that I am left handed as it is some rare disease. Any other lefties here?

My old boss was a leftie. That wasn't her disease, it was her lack of a brain.

I remember telling her that all these commercials out here say 'A _____ as big as Texas!' but Alaska is actually bigger than Texas and she yelled at me saying "BUT ALASKA IS NOT A STATE!"

I stood there totally stunned by her stupidity and she did it in front of a customer, too! The customer kindly corrected her and smiled at me. It was still just like...wow...
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @bkhamill That baby is super great and you will be a super great grandma! Hope everyone is doing well!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    @raelynnsmama52512 I'm so glad everything is starting to fall in to place for you and you feel it easier to cope going forward. I'm not religious either, but I truly believe the universe has a plan
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Good morning Nicci!

I am up to check in strike... put on hold while they negotiate. So a bit more time ...
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Morning Patricia :)

I'm having some early morning cuddles with Charlie while he watches Madagascar.

It's Mr Smartie, Mrs smartie, and i's anniversary today. They drove down on Friday night to surprise me. Got the fright of my life when I heard my front door opening at 1am.

We took Charlie, and my 9 year old niece to the zoo yesterday and had a lovely day in the sunshine.

Lazy day plans today and I have a table booked at a restaurant in Uxbridge for tonight. We start a new year together today. We've got a lot of work to do to repair our relationships, but half the battle is that we each want to.

My weight is the same for the fourth week running and I confess I am seriously PO!