Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    In honour of @LBuehrle8 arriving in blighty today I have made meatloaf with roast potatoes and veg and a cherry and almond crumbleand custard, all from scratch

All of that sounds yummy!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    edited August 2015
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    @LBuehrle8, if I don't talk to you before you fly out, enjoy your trip, eat lots of English stuff so I can live vicariously through you, (except curry, you can keep that nastiness) and have the bestest time with your Englishman!

See you when you get back!

I am actually very curious as to what the British people call "curry". I have no idea what it is, because according to Pakistanis that I know, the stuff they call curry isn't ACTUALLY curry. I've tried the authentic stuff, but there are so many of them... This lack of knowledge is irritating me. :p

I love curry! But I have no idea if what I have had is "real" now!
    I'm also confused by this curry talk.... because I love curry, but I don't know what this special English curry is. I've had Thai and Indian curry... is that what you guys are talking about? Going to look into this.

Well, what I've read is that curry became popular due to the colonization of India way back in the day, and remained a popular dish until today. However, I'm relatively certain that it became sort of like Tex-Mex or Chinese food is in the U.S.--very "Americanized", and not always very close to the original Mexican/Chinese foods that they're based on. ;)

When I go to the US next year, one of my first stops is going to be Outback Steakhouse. I want to see what the American idea of Australian food is.

Spare yourself the trouble. It isn't Australian food and it's hit or miss as a good steak. (I have never been to Australia, but where I live, Outback, Texas Roadhouse, and Longhorn all have basically the same menu. I eat at Texas Roadhouse because I know the owner and that's really all there is to separate them)

Seconded. Outback is terrible.

Texas Roadhouse is alright because CINNAMON HONEY BUTTER. Also, there's one 5 minutes from my house. Outback is like 10. Longhorn is 20.

Man, do I live in suburbia, huh?

I guess we both do. :-) Except in rural Appalachia, people call Kingsport the city. (if you've seen or read the Hunger Ganes, I live in the Seam)
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    In honour of @LBuehrle8 arriving in blighty today I have made meatloaf with roast potatoes and veg and a cherry and almond crumbleand custard, all from scratch

All of that sounds yummy!

I agree and now I want to come visit!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    So I have now tried all the Quest bars I wanted to try.

Cookie dough, chocolate peanut butter and cookies and creme are my faves. White chocolate raspberry was good too. Not a single one was gross and I never felt like I had to choke one down. This is a new staple for me.

Ok that's it. Going on a hunt for tbese. Do tney fill you up?

Normally I will eat one with a Oikos yogurt and a piece of fruit and I am good to go for quite a while. If I miss it in the morning, I can eat it alone later in the day and same, I am good for a good chunk of time.

I said this before, but I love being able to eat fruit, esp in the morning. I could never do this because by the time I had some toast to have eggs or whatever, it was too many carbs for first thing in the morning. With the carb count so low on these bars, I have fruit every day and blood sugar is good.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you recall how my daughter was really struggling with her health..? (Anemia, exhaustion, depression, really bad periods.)

Yesterday was blood test results day. Turns out her iron is up to a healthy level (yay for Feramax!) and her thyroid function is normal. The latter was a real surprise because ALL of her symptoms fit for hypothyroidism, but apparently it's not that. Despite the fact that she's on a seasonal birth control pill to try to reign in her brutal periods, she's been bleeding almost constantly for three months. Our doctor has asked her to keep taking them until she can get in to see a gynecologist. She's also referred her for a pelvic ultrasound, and clearly thinks this is the cause of all her problems. They agreed that her weepiness/depression is a symptom, and not the problem in itself, so won't treat that for now. She's really liking her new job, so things are better at the moment anyway.

I feel a bit disappointed that we didn't get a definite answer, but I know it's good that she doesn't have a lifelong condition. I'm now hoping that maybe she'll get a D&C and an IUD and it might make everything better.... The doc said that because she's so young and having a tough time, she should be able to see a gyno within the next few weeks, so fingers crossed.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    So... After horrible, horrible pain for twelve days and increasingly limited movement, I dragged myself to a doctor this morning. I've been diagnosed with sciatica due to injury, and have been prescribed enough prescription drugs to kill a rhinoceros. I may spend the next week in a drug induced haze, so right here I'm adding a disclaimer that I'm not responsible for anything I may say or do in the next 15 days. >:)

But hey, I have codeine! Yippee! (I'm seriously stoked, because after an injection, I've had my first horrific-pain free day today! I feel no pain and it's BEAUTIFUL. Spool beautiful. I could kiss that doctor.)

ETA: Since I've already been quoted and look dumb, uhhh... Spool was supposed to be "soooo". Autocorrect, not drugs, I swear! ;)

Ah, the good stuff! Watch out for the dreams. Last time I had codeine I had really wonky, weird dreams and also they were tactile which is unusual for me.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    So, I definitely have ADD, no question. I also had blood drawn to check my thyroid since both my parents have issues, she put me back on the pill, and I go back in 4 weeks to follow up. As far as my back goes, basically I've got to just try to take Tylenol for now and when I go back we're going to look at trying injections. I'm currently on strattera for the ADD, to see if that helps, and once my lab results come back, we'll know what else is going on, or if my thyroid is okay or not. She did mention my weight, and I told her I was doing what I could to try to lose it, but she's also wanting to address that and go other avenues concerning that. She's concerned my weight could be affecting my back too, so I'm guessing if it's not my thyroid, she's going to try something else. She did mention the strattera has a side effect of loss of appetite, which can lead to weight loss. I feel better, but still a little confused.

Btw, anyone familiar with strattera? Lol

Was there something in particular you want to know?

Oops, my bad! Should have been more specific lol. Basically, does it seem to work relatively well, and are there really that many side effects as I've been told there are?

My sister was on the team that launched this drug and she said it works very well, that the trials were great. She said it is the only ADD drug on the market that is not a stimulant, so that in itself is a benefit. I have no personal experience with this drug.

That makes me feel better! :smile:
    I just took my first dose this morning, so I guess we'll see how it all goes!

I'm hoping you and SusieQ and anyone else here in pain feel better soon!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    @LBuehrle8, if I don't talk to you before you fly out, enjoy your trip, eat lots of English stuff so I can live vicariously through you, (except curry, you can keep that nastiness) and have the bestest time with your Englishman!

See you when you get back!

I am actually very curious as to what the British people call "curry". I have no idea what it is, because according to Pakistanis that I know, the stuff they call curry isn't ACTUALLY curry. I've tried the authentic stuff, but there are so many of them... This lack of knowledge is irritating me. :p

I love curry! But I have no idea if what I have had is "real" now!
    I'm also confused by this curry talk.... because I love curry, but I don't know what this special English curry is. I've had Thai and Indian curry... is that what you guys are talking about? Going to look into this.

Well, what I've read is that curry became popular due to the colonization of India way back in the day, and remained a popular dish until today. However, I'm relatively certain that it became sort of like Tex-Mex or Chinese food is in the U.S.--very "Americanized", and not always very close to the original Mexican/Chinese foods that they're based on. ;)

When I go to the US next year, one of my first stops is going to be Outback Steakhouse. I want to see what the American idea of Australian food is.
    I spent a year in Australia a long time ago. We had no money, so the peak of extravagance was a trip to Sizzler. Is that chain still going? You could get a steak, baked potato and unlimited salad for $10 (?) The smart people would get the steak and potato to go, and go nuts on the salad bar!

It's still around but it's much much smaller and only in a handful of places, now. When I went to Brisbane last year I saw a Sizzler and went for the first time since I was like, five. The REALLY smart people buy the food and then load up a bowl at the unlimited dessert bar. ;)

RSLs and football clubs are pretty good for a cheap meal, though. And a lot of pubs have a good menu, if you don't care about calories that is...
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    So... After horrible, horrible pain for twelve days and increasingly limited movement, I dragged myself to a doctor this morning. I've been diagnosed with sciatica due to injury, and have been prescribed enough prescription drugs to kill a rhinoceros. I may spend the next week in a drug induced haze, so right here I'm adding a disclaimer that I'm not responsible for anything I may say or do in the next 15 days. >:)

But hey, I have codeine! Yippee! (I'm seriously stoked, because after an injection, I've had my first horrific-pain free day today! I feel no pain and it's BEAUTIFUL. Spool beautiful. I could kiss that doctor.)

ETA: Since I've already been quoted and look dumb, uhhh... Spool was supposed to be "soooo". Autocorrect, not drugs, I swear! ;)

I love a good toradol injection. I don't know if that's what they gave you, but I am super happy whatever it was worked.

I don't know how toradol is but I hallucinate on codine. I know it is not real but am still distracted by it.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you recall how my daughter was really struggling with her health..? (Anemia, exhaustion, depression, really bad periods.)

Yesterday was blood test results day. Turns out her iron is up to a healthy level (yay for Feramax!) and her thyroid function is normal. The latter was a real surprise because ALL of her symptoms fit for hypothyroidism, but apparently it's not that. Despite the fact that she's on a seasonal birth control pill to try to reign in her brutal periods, she's been bleeding almost constantly for three months. Our doctor has asked her to keep taking them until she can get in to see a gynecologist. She's also referred her for a pelvic ultrasound, and clearly thinks this is the cause of all her problems. They agreed that her weepiness/depression is a symptom, and not the problem in itself, so won't treat that for now. She's really liking her new job, so things are better at the moment anyway.

I feel a bit disappointed that we didn't get a definite answer, but I know it's good that she doesn't have a lifelong condition. I'm now hoping that maybe she'll get a D&C and an IUD and it might make everything better.... The doc said that because she's so young and having a tough time, she should be able to see a gyno within the next few weeks, so fingers crossed.
    Glad things are looking up! Fingers crossed for her upcoming appointment!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    Checking to say good morning! I have my home internet back; I've missed you all terribly. But not enough for me to read the almost 3000 posts I missed. LOL

Welcome back!
    Yes. Welcome back
  • nonoelmo
    Options

Hugs and fingers crossed.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    So I have now tried all the Quest bars I wanted to try.

Cookie dough, chocolate peanut butter and cookies and creme are my faves. White chocolate raspberry was good too. Not a single one was gross and I never felt like I had to choke one down. This is a new staple for me.

Ok that's it. Going on a hunt for tbese. Do tney fill you up?

Normally I will eat one with a Oikos yogurt and a piece of fruit and I am good to go for quite a while. If I miss it in the morning, I can eat it alone later in the day and same, I am good for a good chunk of time.

I said this before, but I love being able to eat fruit, esp in the morning. I could never do this because by the time I had some toast to have eggs or whatever, it was too many carbs for first thing in the morning. With the carb count so low on these bars, I have fruit every day and blood sugar is good.

I am glad you found something you enjoy and can make work with your diabetes!
  • saraherren
    saraherren Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Heard from my doctor yesterday about my pelvic ultrasound, and it turns out that I have a uterine fibroid. Thankfully it's benign. She said I don't have to worry. I'm still waiting on my blood test results for my insulin, DHEA, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), and estrogen levels.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options

Ugh poor her. Fingers crossed that she can get in quickly and get down to the heart of the problem. Big hugs!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Checking to say good morning! I have my home internet back; I've missed you all terribly. But not enough for me to read the almost 3000 posts I missed. LOL

Welcome back!!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

That's fantastic news!

Umm... codeine is wickedly constipating... just sayin'
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

Because that sounds like me, along with a few other other inflammation-related problems, has she been tested for Celiac? Autoimmune disease can kick you all over...
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

I love a good toradol injection. I don't know if that's what they gave you, but I am super happy whatever it was worked.

I don't know how toradol is but I hallucinate on codine. I know it is not real but am still distracted by it.

Toradol is an injectable pain medication that makes me sleepy, but not hallucinatory and it is non-addictive. The generic name is ketorolac. I end up taking it about once every 18 months for a migraine I cannot shake with oral meds and I used to need it every six months or somatic my back. That's gotten a ton better since I stopped eating gluten four years ago, but it's nice to know it's an option.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    @tubbs216 Fingers crossed everything works out great for your daughter.