Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    @MoHousdon -the rest of my measurements are calf 15, thigh 21, upper arm 12 straight & 13 flexed. Here's a photo, please ignore the windy hair. 463jcl0dffzo.jpg

You're a tiny little thing.

Did the person taking your picture why you were having them take it?

Why thank you. I don't feel tiny, but someone else said that about me this week, so maybe it is true. My daughter took the picture over the weekend to text it to my best friend so that she would tell me to wear a turtleneck under the sweater because the outfit is "too much maroon." I agreed to wear the sweater with black pants and the maroon pants with a gray sweater.
  • saraherren
    saraherren Posts: 59 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    saraherren wrote: »
    Okay so for anyone who hasn't read my earlier posts, I haven't had a period in almost a year (September last year was my last one) and I have had a severe loss of appetite and literally never get hungry. I lost 80 pounds and reached my goal weight in January. But since then, it's been hard to increase my calorie intake (especially carbs) because I'm afraid of gaining all the weight back. I know I lost my menstrual cycle because I exercised a lot and didn't compensate with enough calories, but I slowed down on the exercise in November while keeping my calories the same with hopes that my period would return (obviously didn't).
    Anyway, for the past month I've been eating under 300 calories a day and I actually have to force myself to eat even that little. Yes, I know it's not healthy to be eating under 300 calories, but at least it's SOMETHING and not anything at all (even though I could easily go without eating for 1-2 days and still not get hungry). I went to my OB at the end of May and she tested my thyroid, sex hormones, etc. and everything came back normal except for my LH level, which was really low.
    I still didn't have an answer on what to do to get my period back, so I went to my family doctor last Monday and she took another blood sample to test my insulin, DHEA, estrogen, progesterone, and thyroid levels and ordered a pelvic ultrasound. The pelvis US showed a benign (thank God) subserosal uterine fibroid which she said is nothing to worry about. **UPDATE** I just got my blood test results for the hormones and they were all normal (thank God). I'm honestly shocked that my thyroid is normal. I have to go back on September 25 for a follow-up, but I asked her what I can do between now and then that could get me to start having a regular menstrual cycle again. She said to cut down my water intake (I drink 5 L a day) and increase my calorie intake to a healthy level again to around 1,500-1,800 a day. I feel like that's going to be hard because I don't eat fast food or drink Starbucks (which I did multiple times daily my entire life up until I graduated college in May of last year). I also only eat foods that are in the perimeter of the grocery store (so obviously no processed foods).

I'm glad that everything came back normal, but it really seems to me that you've given yourself an eating disorder--the fear of increasing your calories, the eating of next to nothing and not being able to eat more, and your fear of eating processed foods all come together to point to a very scary outlook of food. I highly advise you to try to get yourself some help from a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.

I'm not trying to patronize you or be rude, but this is a truly dangerous path you're taking--please take the steps to reverse it, because the effects on your life, especially as you continue to grow older, will be devastating. Please take care of yourself! <3

I think it's less of a fear of eating more and more of not hungry enough to want to eat more. I'm not denying any fear of increasing calories, though. I don't fear processed foods, I just know they have no nutritional value. Ever since I gave them up and started eating real food, my cravings for the processed foods I was so used to eating my whole life went away and haven't come back. I no longer want to eat the crap foods I was so used to eating. I actually enjoy eating the foods I eat now (which I know is not much). I eat boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders, extra lean ground turkey, and plenty of leafy green veggies of primarily romaine lettuce and spinach. I've always loved salmon, so I may buy some of that at Target.

I may look into seeing a therapist (my doctor suggested seeing one, as well). Hopefully I am able to turn this around and recover. My doctor said I don't have the body of an anorexic, but the psychological part of it is definitely there. It's extremely weird, I went from one extreme to another. I used to be able to eat plenty of food and not feel bad (i.e. eat an entire pizza or pint of ice cream by myself in one sitting), now I couldn't even get through half a pizza or pint of ice cream. <3
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Okay so for anyone who hasn't read my earlier posts, I haven't had a period in almost a year (September last year was my last one) and I have had a severe loss of appetite and literally never get hungry. I lost 80 pounds and reached my goal weight in January. But since then, it's been hard to increase my calorie intake (especially carbs) because I'm afraid of gaining all the weight back. I know I lost my menstrual cycle because I exercised a lot and didn't compensate with enough calories, but I slowed down on the exercise in November while keeping my calories the same with hopes that my period would return (obviously didn't).
    Anyway, for the past month I've been eating under 300 calories a day and I actually have to force myself to eat even that little. Yes, I know it's not healthy to be eating under 300 calories, but at least it's SOMETHING and not anything at all (even though I could easily go without eating for 1-2 days and still not get hungry). I went to my OB at the end of May and she tested my thyroid, sex hormones, etc. and everything came back normal except for my LH level, which was really low.
    I still didn't have an answer on what to do to get my period back, so I went to my family doctor last Monday and she took another blood sample to test my insulin, DHEA, estrogen, progesterone, and thyroid levels and ordered a pelvic ultrasound. The pelvis US showed a benign (thank God) subserosal uterine fibroid which she said is nothing to worry about. **UPDATE** I just got my blood test results for the hormones and they were all normal (thank God). I'm honestly shocked that my thyroid is normal. I have to go back on September 25 for a follow-up, but I asked her what I can do between now and then that could get me to start having a regular menstrual cycle again. She said to cut down my water intake (I drink 5 L a day) and increase my calorie intake to a healthy level again to around 1,500-1,800 a day. I feel like that's going to be hard because I don't eat fast food or drink Starbucks (which I did multiple times daily my entire life up until I graduated college in May of last year). I also only eat foods that are in the perimeter of the grocery store (so obviously no processed foods).

Milk and cottage cheese (full fat) are on the perimeter. Buy a protein shake mix - EAS Complete Nutrition is good and at Target - and drink that in your milk. Eat the cottage cheese with fruits and veggies. I have been where you are. I know you don't want to, but do it anyway. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and one shake a day for a week or so and then two of each. As your appetite comes back, you can sub in chicken or whatever meat you like for a shake. Good luck. It is hard work.

I don't eat dairy products since they make me break out. Eating more is so much easier said than done. I eat 8 oz of meat every day (4 oz chicken and 4 oz extra lean ground turkey) and plenty of veggies of mainly leafy greens.

Can you eat nuts? Three handfuls a day would more than double your current intake. Also add some fruit and don't be afraid of a little more fat in your meat.
  • saraherren
    Options

Milk and cottage cheese (full fat) are on the perimeter. Buy a protein shake mix - EAS Complete Nutrition is good and at Target - and drink that in your milk. Eat the cottage cheese with fruits and veggies. I have been where you are. I know you don't want to, but do it anyway. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and one shake a day for a week or so and then two of each. As your appetite comes back, you can sub in chicken or whatever meat you like for a shake. Good luck. It is hard work.

I don't eat dairy products since they make me break out. Eating more is so much easier said than done. I eat 8 oz of meat every day (4 oz chicken and 4 oz extra lean ground turkey) and plenty of veggies of mainly leafy greens.

Can you eat nuts? Three handfuls a day would more than double your current intake. Also add some fruit and don't be afraid of a little more fat in your meat.

Yeah I can eat nuts! I like almonds the best. I also really like plain non-fat Greek yogurt.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options

I don't eat dairy either. I sadly can't have eggs either. Can you have eggs and is there a form you like them?

My daughter and I found a vegan shake mix we like - Naturade All-In-One Nutritional shake. I have lots of food issues and this works for me (non GMO, Non Dairy, Gluten free, soy free and so on). If there is a food you have an intolerance, allergy, or aversion to but are interested in this let me know and I will read the label for you.

Hugs and I'm rooting for you.
  • nonoelmo
    Options

I'm glad that everything came back normal, but it really seems to me that you've given yourself an eating disorder--the fear of increasing your calories, the eating of next to nothing and not being able to eat more, and your fear of eating processed foods all come together to point to a very scary outlook of food. I highly advise you to try to get yourself some help from a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.

I'm not trying to patronize you or be rude, but this is a truly dangerous path you're taking--please take the steps to reverse it, because the effects on your life, especially as you continue to grow older, will be devastating. Please take care of yourself! <3

I think it's less of a fear of eating more and more of not hungry enough to want to eat more. I'm not denying any fear of increasing calories, though. I don't fear processed foods, I just know they have no nutritional value. Ever since I gave them up and started eating real food, my cravings for the processed foods I was so used to eating my whole life went away and haven't come back. I no longer want to eat the crap foods I was so used to eating. I actually enjoy eating the foods I eat now (which I know is not much). I eat boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders, extra lean ground turkey, and plenty of leafy green veggies of primarily romaine lettuce and spinach. I've always loved salmon, so I may buy some of that at Target.

I may look into seeing a therapist (my doctor suggested seeing one, as well). Hopefully I am able to turn this around and recover. My doctor said I don't have the body of an anorexic, but the psychological part of it is definitely there. It's extremely weird, I went from one extreme to another. I used to be able to eat plenty of food and not feel bad (i.e. eat an entire pizza or pint of ice cream by myself in one sitting), now I couldn't even get through half a pizza or pint of ice cream. <3
    There are cycles and pendulums in life. You went from one extreme to the other. Now gently swing back to a resting, middle ground. It is not easy but you seem like you are made of tough stuff.

I have not eaten the typical American diet in many years. I do most of my own cooking. I know you can do this and find a great healthy spot for you.
  • saraherren
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

I don't eat dairy either. I sadly can't have eggs either. Can you have eggs and is there a form you like them?

My daughter and I found a vegan shake mix we like - Naturade All-In-One Nutritional shake. I have lots of food issues and this works for me (non GMO, Non Dairy, Gluten free, soy free and so on). If there is a food you have an intolerance, allergy, or aversion to but are interested in this let me know and I will read the label for you.

I do like eggs, but I stopped since they made me super bloated :/. One protein powder that I like is the vegan Garden of Life raw protein powder, chocolate version. Have you ever tried that? I went through a vegan phase 2 years ago and really enjoyed that one. No allergies, but there are some foods that I don't eat since they don't agree with me or I just don't have a craving for them anymore (i.e. dairy and eggs).

Hugs!
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    @MoHousdon -the rest of my measurements are calf 15, thigh 21, upper arm 12 straight & 13 flexed. Here's a photo, please ignore the windy hair. 463jcl0dffzo.jpg

You're a tiny little thing.

Did the person taking your picture why you were having them take it?

Why thank you. I don't feel tiny, but someone else said that about me this week, so maybe it is true. My daughter took the picture over the weekend to text it to my best friend so that she would tell me to wear a turtleneck under the sweater because the outfit is "too much maroon." I agreed to wear the sweater with black pants and the maroon pants with a gray sweater.

I agree with the tiny. Too funny about daughter doing a maroon intervention. :wink:

• nonoelmo
    Options

I do like eggs, but I stopped since they made me super bloated :/. One protein powder that I like is the vegan Garden of Life raw protein powder, chocolate version. Have you ever tried that? I went through a vegan phase 2 years ago and really enjoyed that one. No allergies, but there are some foods that I don't eat since they don't agree with me or I just don't have a craving for them anymore (i.e. dairy and eggs).

Hugs!

Thank you. I don't crave a lot of foods anymore but I chime in the those who are concerned about your calorie intake. I'm not a vegetarian (was for a long time) but daughter just decided she wanted to be so for her sake I'm keeping our house veg for now. If son has serious complaints about it I'll work with it.

How about a homemade chicken tortilla soup? I start with a carcass and cook it with veggies to make a stock. (Sometimes I repeat to make a very rich stock, then I cook a chicken in the stock (throw a beef bone in too for extra richness). Strain the stock, shred the chicken and put the chicken and stock in a pot (I'll have to look it up to remember) add chopped bell pepper, chopped sweet pepper (anaheim?) and chop carrots, celery, onion, & garlic, add drained hominy (1 - 2 cans), salt, pepper to taste. Use homemade or premade (I live where I can get really good corn tortilla shells) and slice then spray with olive oil and toast. Serve the soup with a sprinkle of tortillas on top. Oh, I also chop up a bunch of cilantro right before serving. (Optional but I love it). I may have forgotten something but this will get you a rich, tasty, homemade soup.

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    For @KylerJaye and anyone else who could use a list of breakup songs:

Breakup Songs (My ipod play list)

I put these songs together for a friend. I think they cover a lot of the emotions of a breakup.

Jar of Hearts – Christina Perri

Don’t Know Why – Norah Jones

Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Connor

Landslide – Fleetwood Mac

Without You – Harry Nilsson

Hallelujah – Rufus Wainwright

The Tracks of my Tears – Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

I Try – Macy Gray

I’d Rather Go Blind – Rachel Crow

Since U Been Gone – Kelly Clarkson

Cry me a River – Justin Timberlake

Rumour Has It – Adele

Broken Promises For Broken Hearts – She Wants Revenge

Can Die No More – Lake of Tears

Never Gonna Happen – Lily Allen

Ever Fallen In Love – Buzzcocks

Tainted Love – Soft Cell

Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around – Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty

Harden My Heart – Quarterflash

I Will Survive - Cake

ETA - My personal favorites of this list I've bolded. I love She Wants Revenge (and have seen them). Lily Allen makes me smile. Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright is achingly beautiful.

You missed Someone Like You - Adele
  • nonoelmo
    Options
    For @KylerJaye and anyone else who could use a list of breakup songs:

Breakup Songs (My ipod play list)

I put these songs together for a friend. I think they cover a lot of the emotions of a breakup.

Jar of Hearts – Christina Perri

Don’t Know Why – Norah Jones

Nothing Compares 2 U – Sinead O’Connor

Landslide – Fleetwood Mac

Without You – Harry Nilsson

Hallelujah – Rufus Wainwright

The Tracks of my Tears – Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

I Try – Macy Gray

I’d Rather Go Blind – Rachel Crow

Since U Been Gone – Kelly Clarkson

Cry me a River – Justin Timberlake

Rumour Has It – Adele

Broken Promises For Broken Hearts – She Wants Revenge

Can Die No More – Lake of Tears

Never Gonna Happen – Lily Allen

Ever Fallen In Love – Buzzcocks

Tainted Love – Soft Cell

Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around – Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty

Harden My Heart – Quarterflash

I Will Survive - Cake

ETA - My personal favorites of this list I've bolded. I love She Wants Revenge (and have seen them). Lily Allen makes me smile. Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright is achingly beautiful.

You missed Someone Like You - Adele

Yes! I bet I missed a bunch of great songs. Anyone can feel free to add!

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    @KylerJaye I am so sorry! Maybe he got cold feet on how fast you guys were moving (even though he instigated it) or maybe he just realized a commitment wasn't what he wanted, or even to your point the ex. Either way, its his problem and his loss. You don't have to feel embarrassed. I would be most of us on this thread have been there before. To be honest, this is one of the reasons I avoid dating completely, I got way too tied up/committed too quickly if I like a guy and get my heart broken. It just means your human, sensitive, and caring. Those are all positive attributes. So, grieve for a while but there are other (lots of other) fish in the sea that will LOVE to be with you. You just need to find the right one. And if you keep looking you will some day.

And we look forward to your next dating adventure. Don't be the least bit embarrassed!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to not date anymore if my current relationship doesn't work out. I am the same as you and I fall in love/commit too fast and hard. I am very emotional too. I sometimes think it would be easier to just avoid that. Plus, you seem like you are free to do things at any time (travel etc). I love that!

I am very happy with my life. I admit I sometimes think I would like someone in my life but then I see people feeling constricted with having to manage others expectations. I am not interested in managing to any one else's expectations. Maybe that will change but I am basically a loner. I like to manage my life on my schedule and I am ok with being alone. I may meet someone one day but he'd have to be pretty special (and tolerant and equally independent ).

You're describing me to a T, and I found one. You couldn't have designed a more perfect man for me if you'd had a laundry list of desirable qualities as a template.

For every pot there is a lid, and all that.

That is so sweet.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Wytcher9 wrote: »
    I confess that I ate all the fried cheese sticks with marinara sauce ordered on Saturday night. I had accounted for a certain number in my food diary before sharing the balance with everyone else. But I couldn't help myself - gobbled the entire order. I have recommitted myself to staying on the path to healthy eating.

Fried cheese is the devil heaven.

There, I fixed that for you @MoHousdon :grin:
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I tried to take daughter to the weight room and show her it is not a scary place.... (FAIL)

So it was more crowded than normal. Our gym is a club and is very family friendly and welcoming...except, it appears, the weight room. There were two other women in there and the rest guys of various ages.

I start lifting and daughter comes to hang out with me. Right next to us a loud conversation started:

Middle age man # 1 "How is your injury?"

Middle age man #2 "It is ok, they have me full of antibiotics. I was taking a (SH word for pooh) and sitting on the toilet and pulled a scab off and nearly passed out."

Me in my head (Really? You are established adults paying good money for this membership that stresses family values and a safe place and you loudly describe this when it is very clear there are four ladies within 10 feet of you?!?!?)

Needless to say daughter did not participate in lifting weights last night. I wish I could have a private conversation with those men about appropriate conversation in public areas. Daughter admitted that the conversation was part of why she didn't lift.

Men are so gross.
    Not all men. Mr Tubbs would ask them if they thought that was an appropriate conversation to have in front of ladies. He would also give them his Oprah look. He's braver than me. I'd think of something smart and withering to say 20 minutes later.
    logqlg7c8hml.gif

not to be contrary or anything, but i don't see the issue with their conversation. 2 adults were having a conversation, in the vicinity of other adults. I don't see how discussing toilet habits or scabs impacts family values? You overhear all sorts of conversations, in all sorts of places. Its up to you if you're going to be offended by it, but really, what does being offended achieve? (Check out Steve Hughes - offended on youtube).

And i really don't go for the idea that ladies are fragile wall flowers with delicate constitutions and ears.

and presumably, if you're hanging out in the weights room, the guys are giving you the kudos of being strong individuals, not likely to be offended by a few words, which were not addressed to you?

I agree. While I'd think it was a bit gross, I wouldn't be personally offended by it.

And I especially agree with the bolded.
    I have three older brothers, grew up in a dairy farm and know how to check a cow for pregnancy. I am not fragile.

I work in healthcare. For a while I worked in home health. I have seen some deadly gross wounds, but I don't want to hear about them in public.

And quite frankly, my mama would haunt me if I talked about my toilet habits in public. I am glad for this group, but sometimes I think the internet has eroded good manners in the real world.

• BodyByBex
    Options

Hugs!

Thank you. I don't crave a lot of foods anymore but I chime in the those who are concerned about your calorie intake. I'm not a vegetarian (was for a long time) but daughter just decided she wanted to be so for her sake I'm keeping our house veg for now. If son has serious complaints about it I'll work with it.

How about a homemade chicken tortilla soup? I start with a carcass and cook it with veggies to make a stock. (Sometimes I repeat to make a very rich stock, then I cook a chicken in the stock (throw a beef bone in too for extra richness). Strain the stock, shred the chicken and put the chicken and stock in a pot (I'll have to look it up to remember) add chopped bell pepper, chopped sweet pepper (anaheim?) and chop carrots, celery, onion, & garlic, add drained hominy (1 - 2 cans), salt, pepper to taste. Use homemade or premade (I live where I can get really good corn tortilla shells) and slice then spray with olive oil and toast. Serve the soup with a sprinkle of tortillas on top. Oh, I also chop up a bunch of cilantro right before serving. (Optional but I love it). I may have forgotten something but this will get you a rich, tasty, homemade soup.

@nonoelmo I'm stealing this... I LOVE soup. Especially homemade because I don't typically have to watch the sodium content as much as with prepackaged/processed stuff. :smiley:

@saraherren We are all rooting for you here. You've got this. 5 liters of water a day is pretty intense and probably why you definitely don't feel hungry. Maybe switch it out with something that has calories? Like a shake or some natural juice?
  • nonoelmo
    Options

Hugs!

@nonoelmo I'm stealing this... I LOVE soup. Especially homemade because I don't typically have to watch the sodium content as much as with prepackaged/processed stuff. :smiley:

@saraherren We are all rooting for you here. You've got this. 5 liters of water a day is pretty intense and probably why you definitely don't feel hungry. Maybe switch it out with something that has calories? Like a shake or some natural juice?

Mmmm I love homemade soup too. I had lentil soup tonight for dinner. I often make a hamburger vegetable soup (will have to work around daughter's vegetarian habits now). I had miso soup (mostly homemade) for dinner last night. I love homemade tomato basil soup! Now that I'm drooling I'm turning off the lights to sleep. Sweet dreams!
  • BodyByBex
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Confession: My secret to maintenance right now is just adding cheese to everything.

Piece of fruit? Throw on some cottage cheese!
    Salad? Some shredded cheddar!
    Steamed veggies? Throw on some mozzarella!

I have a cheese problem....

ETA: And I wonder why I was constipated.... :weary:
  • saraherren
    Options
    @nonoelmo The family doc I saw last week suggested I cut back on the water with hopes that that would make me have an appetite again. I'm trying to but it's easier said than done, especially on days I exercise and sweat. I also live in Texas and it's been over 100 degrees every day for the past week or more.
  • BodyByBex
    Options
    @saraharren I know that feeling. Bastrop, TX here, just East of Austin. Or as so many shirts say, 'Just East of Weird.' :lol:

It's been WAY warmer up North though. My mom is up in Anna taking care of my cousin Sheri and she's been suffering through those intensely hot days up there.

Maybe go for a smoothie made with ice cubes, something with ice cream in it, or frozen fruit?
  • saraherren
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @lilaclovebird Amen on the Texas heat. I'm in Arlington and it hit 108 today. I lived in Lubbock for 5 years during college and the hottest I remember it ever getting was 114 in June 2011.
    Ice cream has always been my vice. Today is my mom's birthday and I already know she will want to eat nothing but crap and expect me to do the same. She already has terrible eating habits, which irks me since I did a complete 180 on my eating habits from nothing but fast food, junk foods, and horribly processed foods to unprocessed, real food like boneless, skinless chicken, extra lean ground turkey, leafy greens, etc. She's not very supportive of me eating way better than I used to and wants me to eat junk food every now and then even though I have no appetite for any of those.