Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Another confession: There's a guy in my office, Mr. Foot Shuffler, the guy I want to throat punch, that pronounces Missouri, Miss er uh. Like with an "a" at the end. It irks me a lot more than it should but every time he says it, the throat punch urge becomes really strong with me.

Much like @tincanonastring‌ I overreact to insignificant things.

Ditto. This is the story of my life. Big, huge crisis? Fine. I can handle it. Pen clicker? I will stab your eyeballs out with the pen. Popping gum on the treadmill next to me? I will shove you off the machine. (good thing this is the confession thread; I sound terrible!)

You would murder me then...I do both of those things. I used to get in trouble all the time by an old boss for popping or snapping my gum. She'd make me go spit it out. I don't do it on purpose, it's just a habit.

• Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    crfischer4 wrote: »
    Another confession: There's a guy in my office, Mr. Foot Shuffler, the guy I want to throat punch, that pronounces Missouri, Miss er uh. Like with an "a" at the end. It irks me a lot more than it should but every time he says it, the throat punch urge becomes really strong with me.

Everyone I work with says ECK-specially. When they say it, I quit listening.

And Eck-spresso? I hate "supposably" instead of supposedly. One that always makes me giggle is I've heard of someone using "excrucianating"

I personally hate "could of" instead of "could have."
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    crfischer4 wrote: »

Everyone I work with says ECK-specially. When they say it, I quit listening.

For some weird reason (is there a popular TV show where a character uses this word a lot?), people around me having been misusing the word "mortified" a lot. As in, they're using it to mean they were horrified or angered, not that they were embarrassed. I want to ask them, "Do you actually know the meaning of that word you just used?"

It used to irk me no end to hear expressions like "kissing on (someone)" and "hugging on (someone)". That's just... NO. Preposition offence. Thankfully it seems to be falling out of use.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    For the past couple of weeks I have been buying sweet treats here and there; a small bag of cookies, a Snickers bar, Sno balls... I'm not eating them. I'm just collecting them in a bag in my pantry. I'm not sure why I'm doing this or even if I'll end up eating them. I think maybe it makes me feel better to know they're there.

I have a stash too. Most of mine consists of faves that I can't get here but pick up on occasional forays into the US... white chocolate Reese's, white chocolate KitKats, white chocolate M&Ms (sensing a theme here? lol)... and "save" them due to their scarcity.

I definitely eat them eventually. Most of the time I forget they're there though.

I'm in the US and didn't realize white chocolate M&M's even existed!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Now I want to know which one it was! Hope you can smooth things out with the fiance. Have you resolved the problem? Kind of hard to get over it until then.

The problem, sadly, isn't one that can be resolved in a night. I don't know if anyone else is in an interracial relationship, and normally, I don't even think about it, but issues have come up recently with his friends not appreciating my whiteness being involved with him. And I've finally had a tiny taste of what he has had to deal with for a very long time, and it's opened up my eyes, and makes me realize how selfish I can be about some things. But the issue for me, is I don't bring that stuff home. I never make racial jokes, or comment, but he is forever joking around every time we have a difference in opinion and says it is because I am white. I feel like he is putting a big space between us by bringing those types of comments into our relationships. Like he is highlighting a meaningless difference. (Not meaningless in the world in general it seems, but in terms of our relationship)

And that was a whole lot more personal and ranting than I wanted it to be. SORRY! To stay on topic, confession wise: Sometimes I think I would be happier if I just stayed huge. Because when you're bigger people don't notice anything about you except your weight. And that is comfortable, because it is like a disguise.

I was in a relationship with a guy of another race and he was forever pointing out differences & making comments about it, things I never would've even noticed or thought of. I felt the same way you do, like he was putting a big space between us over something that shouldn't have mattered. We weren't together for a long time so I'll never know if it would've become an issue (he had some other major issues that led to us breaking up!) but it was eye opening for me.

I hope you two can work it out!

That sucks.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I confess that I haven't read the most recent Stephen King books, even though I've read all the others (agreed about the Stand... end kinda sucked, but I still loved that book). To be honest, I read them all pretty much in a year when I was 14 so I've forgotten most of them...

I did like Firehouse Sub, but a medium was not enough for me (I got the New York Steamer without mayo on wheat). So I went home and finished last night's shepherd's pie too. That's what happens I guess when you're up at 4.30am and have breakfast at 6am because you're starving.

Confession - I actually feel sad for people who are so proud to be 'clean eating'. I kinda pity them because they deprive themselves of delicious foods for no reason. I always feel obligated to reply that I've lost 80 pounds eating 'bad' food.

I'm glad you got to try it. I really like it. Would you go back? Maybe try something different, the hero, or hook and ladder. I never finish my whole sandwich because I devour my chips and most of my 32 oz. Dr. Pepper. Glad you tried it and like it though. :smile:

I might go back. I don't know. I'm a bread snob and I'd rather have a good old baguette on my subs I guess... plus it would probably be more filling.

My confession is that someone mentioned on another thread that grilled cheese sandwiches is the first thing they learned how to cook... I have no idea how to make a grilled cheese. Quite sure that when I tried, it was burned outside and the cheese wasn't melted enough.

Grilled cheese was literally the first thing all 4 of my kids learned to cook and I can remember my oldest cooking the thing on like 8 out of 10 heat. Just like you described, black outside, half-melted cheese at best inside. On our electric range, the perfect heat is 4-5 out of 10 (medium heat) and it takes about 4 minutes the first side, 2.5-3 on the second to make perfect, golden brown grilled cheese. The kids like theirs less toasted, so it's more like 3 and 3 minutes.

That was me. I used to babysit my younger sister in the summers and I'd make grilled cheese for her and several of her friends (and myself, of course). Loved it. We had a perfect square pan for making 4 at a time.

We have one of those too, though sometimes I bust out the electric pancake griddle.
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We use the word "allege" in various forms at my job fairly frequently, and my cube neighbor consistently says "allegated" instead of "alleged". I can't bring myself to correct her, it's been too long at this point. I can only hope she isn't writing it that way into official government docs. I'm not a grammar nazi by any means, but there is a line somewhere, right?
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    For the past couple of weeks I have been buying sweet treats here and there; a small bag of cookies, a Snickers bar, Sno balls... I'm not eating them. I'm just collecting them in a bag in my pantry. I'm not sure why I'm doing this or even if I'll end up eating them. I think maybe it makes me feel better to know they're there.

I have a stash too. Most of mine consists of faves that I can't get here but pick up on occasional forays into the US... white chocolate Reese's, white chocolate KitKats, white chocolate M&Ms (sensing a theme here? lol)... and "save" them due to their scarcity.

I definitely eat them eventually. Most of the time I forget they're there though.

P1020735-1-1024x768.jpg

Apparently only at Target
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I stopped logging at Thanksgiving when I didn't know how to begin logging that meal. I've managed to maintain with only a small bounce (+5 lbs) recently but Monday on my one year anniversary I started logging again. I feel better knowing where I am
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options

One thing I learned from a foster kid I took care of a few years ago regarding Ben & Jerry's pints of ice cream-if you eat half you're a pig, but if you finish it you're the champion! We were champions many nights!!

Haha I love that!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    apennock wrote: »
    We use the word "allege" in various forms at my job fairly frequently, and my cube neighbor consistently says "allegated" instead of "alleged". I can't bring myself to correct her, it's been too long at this point. I can only hope she isn't writing it that way into official government docs. I'm not a grammar nazi by any means, but there is a line somewhere, right?

I kind of love that. I use allegedly at my job all the time too, and now I want to start using it as a joke, like conversated. In fact, this seems to be a common thing, where the "ed" is added to the noun to create a longer verb form from a noun that was created from the verb in the first place. Or something like that--I'm sure someone with more of a language background could explain it better.

I work with auditors on a regular basis (as in accounting audits, not IRS) and a weird one I've run into from them is "judgmental" used as "matter that requires judgment and is somewhat subjective." "Did you review whether X was an appropriate estimate for blah, blah?" "Well, it's judgmental."

I don't really mind lots of casual or playful uses of language (including "should of," which I just think of as colloquial). But some bug me. Unfortunately, I also can really easily pick up the ones that most bug me, which tend to be business speak. I used to work with some people who were always going on about how we had to "touch base" to make sure everyone was "on the same page," and now I hear myself using those, ugh.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Another one that bugs me is "offline". "Where can I buy this offline?" when they mean they want to buy it on the internet. I mean what?! The slightest, tiny bit of logic should tell you that "offline" is the wrong word there.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

P1020735-1-1024x768.jpg

Hm...interesting! Are they good?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend of two years and the father of my son's decided he couldn't be happy with me (Sex stopped a year ago, his decision) and he finally ended it with me a couple weeks ago, (what a coincidence the day before I started my weight loss journey), anyways. We still live together until I can move out (My choice to leave because I couldn't stand the thought of watching him walk out). Anyways we went to dinner last night to discuss how we're going to share the kids. Anyways we ended up talking about our relationship and he was just saying what he thought I wanted to hear which was a trigger so I overate. On the way home we started arguing about it and when we got back to the house I made myself throw up because I knew I had overate and felt horrible then cried myself to sleep.
    Confession: Had a binge. Made myself throw up. Am throwing myself a pity party online because my real life friends suck.

I'm so sorry... but please don't make yourself throw up... Find someone to talk to.

P1020735-1-1024x768.jpg

Oh yes... although my kids are finishing them as I'm writing this as I'd rather have some Lindt.

• thathelenagirl
    thathelenagirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had McDonalds for dinner... a more moderate serving than I usually would have... but the guilt after is still awful!! :s:s
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Hubby and I don't actually like them. I like white chocolate, too! They taste strange to me.

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options

There was this running gag about that pronunciation in Calvin Trillin columns (which I used to read collections of when in my early teens, also Mike Royko). I have a good friend from St. Louis and another friend and I like to use that pronunciation sometimes to bug her. It always makes me happy, because I am a bad person.

My when-I-wanted-to-kill-someone-once story about pronunciation of place names is when I lived in northern Mass and was making a plane reservation with a travel agent to go visit a friend in Louisville, KY. The travel agent acted as if she couldn't understand what I was saying (Loueeville? Lou-ah-ville?) and then made a huge point of correcting my perfectly proper pronunciation of the city: "oh, you mean LeWISville." No, it is NOT Lewisville, and you shouldn't be a travel agent, you idiot.

On the other hand, I love crazy US renditions of places named after foreign cities, like Cairo, IL, and all the various places named Versailles.

We can pick out non KY people a mile away. It's "loo uh vul"
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

There was this running gag about that pronunciation in Calvin Trillin columns (which I used to read collections of when in my early teens, also Mike Royko). I have a good friend from St. Louis and another friend and I like to use that pronunciation sometimes to bug her. It always makes me happy, because I am a bad person.

My when-I-wanted-to-kill-someone-once story about pronunciation of place names is when I lived in northern Mass and was making a plane reservation with a travel agent to go visit a friend in Louisville, KY. The travel agent acted as if she couldn't understand what I was saying (Loueeville? Lou-ah-ville?) and then made a huge point of correcting my perfectly proper pronunciation of the city: "oh, you mean LeWISville." No, it is NOT Lewisville, and you shouldn't be a travel agent, you idiot.

On the other hand, I love crazy US renditions of places named after foreign cities, like Cairo, IL, and all the various places named Versailles.

We can pick out non KY people a mile away. It's "loo uh vul"

I'm just randomly stopping by to say you have the best username ever. That is all.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options

That's a very common pronunciation of Missouri, especially for people who live in the Ozarks.

I get it though, I want to throw my laptop through the window every time I see "Your" used instead of "You're". It's incredibly common. I have no idea how people get away with this and have jobs.

I have a staff of editors at my company, and I have had TWO people apply, saying that they are, "detailed orientated."

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

That's a very common pronunciation of Missouri, especially for people who live in the Ozarks.

I get it though, I want to throw my laptop through the window every time I see "Your" used instead of "You're". It's incredibly common. I have no idea how people get away with this and have jobs.

I have a staff of editors at my company, and I have had TWO people apply, saying that they are, "detailed orientated."

There's a woman at my work who mangles the word debacle by replacing the "d" with a "k," so when a bunch of people call out, "we've got a real kebacle in the call center."
  • AshZie
    AshZie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I went to a job interview recently for a fairly lucrative position and the guy interviewing me used "orientated" twice. Ironically enough, I did not get the position. His loss. I am laid off as of this Friday and I'm excited to have ample time for work outs. At least for the time being. :)