Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Bulls_23 wrote: »
    Tincan, who are some of your favorite authors? (Fellow English major!)
    Steven King (pre-1995) - I think a lot of people overlook King. Especially for English majors and writes, I really believe there's merit in examining his character development.

Speaking of books that got thrown across the room, I was furious at the ending of Needful Things...it was like he said "Screw it, gotta wrap this thing up!"

It was all downhill for King after that. Although I've heard good things about Dr. Sleep.

This has been my biggest complaint about Stephen King. He has amazing ideas and stories, but it's like he gets bored at the end and just wants to finish it quickly. The Stand was awesome, but I didn't think the ending was great. And I've only seen the movie Dreamcatcher, but I loved it - until the end. I've avoided his books for the most part, until now. My dad has convinced me to read the Dark Tower books, even though I've heard several times the ending is (again) terrible.

His early work was great, including the endings, and I think he's at his best when he's writing short stories.
    Agree 100%. The compilation Everything's Eventual is one of my comfort reads.
    Don't get me started about the ending of Under the Dome.

Ughhh the worst. It makes me cringe to think about the ending of Under the Dome. It was such a fabulous study of what happens when people think that no one is watching/judging their behavior, and then... the ending.

Yeah it was disappointing for sure.

And then there's the TV show... that I'm watching, but I have absolutely no clue where it is going.
  • crfischer4
    crfischer4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I shake my wrist for one minute to reset my Garmin smart watch. What?! I'm just THAT committed to my work.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    landfish wrote: »
    I feel like a failure as a parent because my 14 year old is having serious emotional issues and my daughter is already fairly overweight at 10 years old.

Don;t beat yourself up! Help them with what you can (which I'm sure you are doing), but as a parent, you can only control so much. Our children are unique, individual people with minds of their own. Yes, they have our guidance and influence, but if they have problems of any kind (and they will - there are NO perfect children or parents) all you can do is support them, offer them assistance, and lead by example. Hugs! I hope your family is healthy and happy soon.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Oh god. That ending. SO BAD. I was seriously outraged. Swore I would not read SK again.

I did read The Shining recently and I thought it was outstanding

• BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    fitfatty88 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Steven King (pre-1995) - I think a lot of people overlook King. Especially for English majors and writes, I really believe there's merit in examining his character development.

Speaking of books that got thrown across the room, I was furious at the ending of Needful Things...it was like he said "Screw it, gotta wrap this thing up!"

It was all downhill for King after that. Although I've heard good things about Dr. Sleep.

This has been my biggest complaint about Stephen King. He has amazing ideas and stories, but it's like he gets bored at the end and just wants to finish it quickly. The Stand was awesome, but I didn't think the ending was great. And I've only seen the movie Dreamcatcher, but I loved it - until the end. I've avoided his books for the most part, until now. My dad has convinced me to read the Dark Tower books, even though I've heard several times the ending is (again) terrible.

His early work was great, including the endings, and I think he's at his best when he's writing short stories.

I'm so happy this forum has turned into a mini talk about Stephen King. I have been reading his books since I was like 11/12? The only good thing to come out of my relationship with my ex is his mom had given me her ENTIRE King collection. After the breakup I asked if he wanted them back and he said he "couldn't be bothered with childrens writing"... *rolls eyes to the ocean*

Confession: while I was disappointed by the ending of The Dark Tower series, I still want a tattoo centered around the whole series.

Nerd here but I thought his best book was "On Writing".

• ButBurgersAreDelicious
    Options
    I had to work really hard not to judge a post right now. I had a reply all typed up, and then just deleted, working on my willfulness lately!

Last night my fiance and I had a big ol' fight. He left and picked up dinner for himself, nevermind that I took out meat and made dinner plans. Soooo I didn't eat dinner, I was so angry, and so hungry but I just couldn't go out into the living area in order to cook up a meal for one, while we were both seething in rage in a small space.

Luckily, I have been over my calories the days prior so it put me back on track for the week, but I know it's not healthy, so I am eating a good sized portion of breakfast today.

Confession: I'm still angry, so angry, but he wasn't, so I swallowed that down and am willing myself to get over it
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I feel like a failure as a parent because my 14 year old is having serious emotional issues and my daughter is already fairly overweight at 10 years old.

Don;t beat yourself up! Help them with what you can (which I'm sure you are doing), but as a parent, you can only control so much. Our children are unique, individual people with minds of their own. Yes, they have our guidance and influence, but if they have problems of any kind (and they will - there are NO perfect children or parents) all you can do is support them, offer them assistance, and lead by example. Hugs! I hope your family is healthy and happy soon.

My 12yo son is so scrawny, he borders on underweight (5'7and 1/4" and 98lbs). I wonder sometimes if people look at him, then look at my fat self, and think that I am under-feeding him due to my obvious weight issues.

I only wonder this occasionally, and it's freaking genetics (my husband was 6' and 135lbs when he left for college and he grew up eating hot dogs/cheese dogs, kraft dinner, grilled cheese and buttered spaghetti as his staple meals). The boy pounds down ridiculous amounts of food daily.
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hurt my calf running 6 months ago. I shaved it to put on rock tape, and the hair still hasn't grown back, so I have one bare calf and one hairy one. The rock tape didn't really help, either.

This is my husband. Both of his calves are smooth for some weird reason he had to shave them (karate injury when teenager)
    Confession: I'm jealous because his legs are smoother than mine 99% of the time.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

Agreed. He's got a new collection coming out this fall, I hear. Yay!

When I was in 5th grade, my mom was actually my reading and English teacher. She used King short stories as part of the curriculum and would read out loud from Night Shift on the regular. We all LOVED it. This was back in 1980-81 and you know it would never fly today. That makes me sad.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I had to work really hard not to judge a post right now. I had a reply all typed up, and then just deleted, working on my willfulness lately!

Last night my fiance and I had a big ol' fight. He left and picked up dinner for himself, nevermind that I took out meat and made dinner plans. Soooo I didn't eat dinner, I was so angry, and so hungry but I just couldn't go out into the living area in order to cook up a meal for one, while we were both seething in rage in a small space.

Luckily, I have been over my calories the days prior so it put me back on track for the week, but I know it's not healthy, so I am eating a good sized portion of breakfast today.

Confession: I'm still angry, so angry, but he wasn't, so I swallowed that down and am willing myself to get over it

My friend did this, she got into a fight with her husband, he ate something else and she just didn't eat. This seems like punishing yourself, which I don't get (I don't mean that in a judge-y way). I'd either cook while making as many loud noises as possible, or I'd go out for my own food. But maybe that's why I'm still single :D
  • ButBurgersAreDelicious
    Options
    My friend did this, she got into a fight with her husband, he ate something else and she just didn't eat. This seems like punishing yourself, which I don't get (I don't mean that in a judge-y way). I'd either cook while making as many loud noises as possible, or I'd go out for my own food. But maybe that's why I'm still single :D

I think it is partly punishment, but just an unwillingness to deal with the tension. Normally we fight it out, loudly, but lovingly.

Tough subject created a pretty big over all space, and I felt like being apart was better. I slept on the couch too -_-

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I confess that I haven't read the most recent Stephen King books, even though I've read all the others (agreed about the Stand... end kinda sucked, but I still loved that book). To be honest, I read them all pretty much in a year when I was 14 so I've forgotten most of them...

I did like Firehouse Sub, but a medium was not enough for me (I got the New York Steamer without mayo on wheat). So I went home and finished last night's shepherd's pie too. That's what happens I guess when you're up at 4.30am and have breakfast at 6am because you're starving.

Confession - I actually feel sad for people who are so proud to be 'clean eating'. I kinda pity them because they deprive themselves of delicious foods for no reason. I always feel obligated to reply that I've lost 80 pounds eating 'bad' food.

I'm glad you got to try it. I really like it. Would you go back? Maybe try something different, the hero, or hook and ladder. I never finish my whole sandwich because I devour my chips and most of my 32 oz. Dr. Pepper. Glad you tried it and like it though. :smile:

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,719 Member
    Options
    crfischer4 wrote: »
    Sometimes I shake my wrist for one minute to reset my Garmin smart watch. What?! I'm just THAT committed to my work.

Welcome, my friend. I'm so glad you joined us. Now, do yourself a favor, if you haven't already, read the last 179 pages to this thread. You can thank me later...with cookies or cake. :D

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Any sexual kinky conversation with a MFP user? I am....found my sexual soulmate here....anyone else???
  • BZAH10
    Options
    The lowest weight I ever was like 109 when I was partying a lot as a teen I'm starting my weight loss journey tomorrow hoping to get down to like 125 or 122 wish me luck I'm going to the beach this year for the first time in YEARS so I wanna feel comfortable I'm extremely happy my weight is the last thing that needs to be fixed in my life I did all the other work to get inner peace so the weight is the last thing that needs to change

Awesome! Good for you! I'm a firm believer in changing from the inside out. That's what it took for me, too. I was never really overweight, but I certainly wasn't healthy. It took years of fixing myself inside first and then the outside followed. Good luck and enjoy the beach!
  • BZAH10
    Options

Now I want to know which one it was! Hope you can smooth things out with the fiance. Have you resolved the problem? Kind of hard to get over it until then.
  • BZAH10
    Options

My 12yo son is so scrawny, he borders on underweight (5'7and 1/4" and 98lbs). I wonder sometimes if people look at him, then look at my fat self, and think that I am under-feeding him due to my obvious weight issues.

I only wonder this occasionally, and it's freaking genetics (my husband was 6' and 135lbs when he left for college and he grew up eating hot dogs/cheese dogs, kraft dinner, grilled cheese and buttered spaghetti as his staple meals). The boy pounds down ridiculous amounts of food daily.

If anyone seriously thinks that they should be slapped upside the head! Don't worry about that. A lot of teenage boys can be very slender until their early 20's. He will fill out, don't worry!
  • ButBurgersAreDelicious
    Options
    Now I want to know which one it was! Hope you can smooth things out with the fiance. Have you resolved the problem? Kind of hard to get over it until then.

The problem, sadly, isn't one that can be resolved in a night. I don't know if anyone else is in an interracial relationship, and normally, I don't even think about it, but issues have come up recently with his friends not appreciating my whiteness being involved with him. And I've finally had a tiny taste of what he has had to deal with for a very long time, and it's opened up my eyes, and makes me realize how selfish I can be about some things. But the issue for me, is I don't bring that stuff home. I never make racial jokes, or comment, but he is forever joking around every time we have a difference in opinion and says it is because I am white. I feel like he is putting a big space between us by bringing those types of comments into our relationships. Like he is highlighting a meaningless difference. (Not meaningless in the world in general it seems, but in terms of our relationship)

And that was a whole lot more personal and ranting than I wanted it to be. SORRY! To stay on topic, confession wise: Sometimes I think I would be happier if I just stayed huge. Because when you're bigger people don't notice anything about you except your weight. And that is comfortable, because it is like a disguise.

• wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I am having a rough day, (like today) I chug the literal f**k out of Java Monster. :wink:
  • BZAH10
    Options

The problem, sadly, isn't one that can be resolved in a night. I don't know if anyone else is in an interracial relationship, and normally, I don't even think about it, but issues have come up recently with his friends not appreciating my whiteness being involved with him. And I've finally had a tiny taste of what he has had to deal with for a very long time, and it's opened up my eyes, and makes me realize how selfish I can be about some things. But the issue for me, is I don't bring that stuff home. I never make racial jokes, or comment, but he is forever joking around every time we have a difference in opinion and says it is because I am white. I feel like he is putting a big space between us by bringing those types of comments into our relationships. Like he is highlighting a meaningless difference. (Not meaningless in the world in general it seems, but in terms of our relationship)

And that was a whole lot more personal and ranting than I wanted it to be. SORRY! To stay on topic, confession wise: Sometimes I think I would be happier if I just stayed huge. Because when you're bigger people don't notice anything about you except your weight. And that is comfortable, because it is like a disguise.

Perhaps this is a learned behavior, though? If this is the way things were handled in his family, then it's really hard first, to know that not everyone handles things this way, and second, that it doesn't solve the problem. IDK. All I know is sometimes looking at the REASON something was said instead of focusing solely on the words can lead you to an answer. I'm white and my husband is Hispanic and it's amazing how many cultural differences there are! Open communication is the key: set boundaries as to what is acceptable to joke about and what isn't. I wish you the best!

And, to your 2nd point: a disguise only SEEMS to be easy. After a while it gets tiring carrying it around. It becomes a burden. Lose weight for yourself if you WANT to and who cares what anyone else thinks???