Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I got the flu or food poisoning or something, which I think is my body’s way of punishing me for being an idiot. I’ve learned my lesson and I’m going to be much nicer from now on. Lots of tea, lots of water, small amounts of food.
    I haven’t told my host mom because I don’t want to bother her or make her feel like she has to take care of me and also becauseI am incapable of basic human communication, lmao.
    Calmly moving on.

(Mel makes another mom face) would you please believe that your host mom is a host mom because she is willing to help you and let her? Tell her you are feeling unwell. I'm pretty sure the cure is chicken soup of some sort the world over.

I pretty sure this is truth as well.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It's Halloween and it already feels like a bust. I woke up really early. Tired = bad food choices, historically. I know there are going to be doughnuts at a work meeting, and a potluck at bowling tonight. Son has a wrestling match, so I'll be running from work to wrestling to bowling. I really think I'm just going to cross today off as a wash, and start again tomorrow.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I got the flu or food poisoning or something, which I think is my body’s way of punishing me for being an idiot. I’ve learned my lesson and I’m going to be much nicer from now on. Lots of tea, lots of water, small amounts of food.
    I haven’t told my host mom because I don’t want to bother her or make her feel like she has to take care of me and also becauseI am incapable of basic human communication, lmao.
    Calmly moving on.

Feel better and take care of yourself. And...what Mel said.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Dittoing the manic Monday. The afternoon just went crazy, then at 8.30pm just as we were about to put a movie on Danny got a call out. He didn't get home until 4am. As great as that is for his pay packet, it was a very long day for him.

As both hubby and I have worked on call-out basis, I understand all of this. Money's great, tough on the individual and their family.
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Dittoing the manic Monday. The afternoon just went crazy, then at 8.30pm just as we were about to put a movie on Danny got a call out. He didn't get home until 4am. As great as that is for his pay packet, it was a very long day for him.

As both hubby and I have worked on call-out basis, I understand all of this. Money's great, tough on the individual and their family.

Fortunately, they aren't usually that late. He could get called out at 7pm and be home for bed at 10.30. This particular issue is still going on, dads on the scene trying to resolve it. I think he only got about 3 hours sleep last night. :# Because it is firefighting equipment and it is in a shopping centre, the issue HAS to be resolved quickly. We have an audit for the next three days in the office, so this could be really stressful. :#
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    It's Halloween and it already feels like a bust. I woke up really early. Tired = bad food choices, historically. I know there are going to be doughnuts at a work meeting, and a potluck at bowling tonight. Son has a wrestling match, so I'll be running from work to wrestling to bowling. I really think I'm just going to cross today off as a wash, and start again tomorrow.

It's only one day. Enjoy yourself, and get back to it in the morning. <3
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Calmly moving on.

(Mel makes another mom face) would you please believe that your host mom is a host mom because she is willing to help you and let her? Tell her you are feeling unwell. I'm pretty sure the cure is chicken soup of some sort the world over.

I actually just had chicken soup for lunch. I wanted some after you mentioned it. :blush:
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween, guys!
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Happy Halloween, guys!

HI, @kelly_c_77!!! Happy Halloween!
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I could be at a doom metal show celebrating Halloween and eating pizza...
    but I 100% brought this illness on myself so I can’t exactly complain about it -_-
    Russian Harry Potter and tea will have to do.
    I’m sad that I’m missing the spookiest night of the year, though! (Or, as my friend calls it, “goth Christmas”.)
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Happy Halloween, guys!

Happy Halloween to you, too!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Calmly moving on.

I actually just had chicken soup for lunch. I wanted some after you mentioned it. :blush:

I win!!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Happy Halloween, guys!

Happy Halloween!
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    spamarie wrote: »
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    If I make it through the day without crying or alcohol I'll call it a win. I would add chocolate to that list... but that has already happened.
    This is about where my standards are, too.
    Unfortunately I have neither chocolate nor alcohol since I chickened out of buying a bottle of vodka today... tomorrow it is!
    And chocolate is important and good for recovering from dementor attacks so I think you made the right decision.
    I hope you make it through the rest of the day okay too!

mks4x15q9tpw.jpg
    I am now curled up in bed struggling through Harry Potter in Russian instead of doing homework, or paperwork for next semester, or anything that I should be doing. Oops.
    SELF-CARE ✨✨✨

I used to read Harry Potter in French or German and pretend that was solid language practice. Are you on a year abroad for a language course? I spent mine in Paris and Austria. Fun memories!
    Yeah, I’m in Russia for one semester and France for another.
    Paris and Austria sound fun!!

I never heard of doing 2 different countries. I was supposed to do a year in France but half way through my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and I came home.

If you major in two languages, it's standard practice to do two placements within the year. I actually majored in two and minored in a third (Dutch!) but there wasn't time for a third placement. My final year of university was hard work!

Sorry about your dad, it must be extra hard for the Americans being so far away. I could easily fly home for a couple of days if I needed to.
    Which two languages did you study? (Sorry if that’s a stupid question, I don’t remember your original post.)
    I’ve always wanted to learn Dutch but my university doesn’t offer it so I never got around to it.

French and German. The French was a bit of a cheat since my mum is French but the German was a challenge!
  • spamarie
    Options
    We don't do Halloween. It just doesn't seem very British. I think I would take the kids to some kind of organised event, but no way would we trick or treat. Luckily we live down a dead end lane on the outskirts of a rural village with street lights, so nobody has ever bothered us.

But it does just so happen to be Andrew's nursery day and they are having a little party and dressing up. I hope he has fun! I'm sure he'll be happy so long as there's food involved (boy after my own heart).
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    We don't do Halloween. It just doesn't seem very British. I think I would take the kids to some kind of organised event, but no way would we trick or treat. Luckily we live down a dead end lane on the outskirts of a rural village with street lights, so nobody has ever bothered us.

But it does just so happen to be Andrew's nursery day and they are having a little party and dressing up. I hope he has fun! I'm sure he'll be happy so long as there's food involved (boy after my own heart).

I will attempt to post photos from the neighborhood where we trick or treat. These people go nuts with decorations and lots of them give full size candy bars.

My own street is a dead end and you have to climb stairs to the houses on one side (including mine) so we never have treaters.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

Yeah, it's funny because all the shops are desperately trying to get people to get into Halloween and BUY BUY BUY! Every year the majority of adults in England just give a collective middle-finger and won't take the bait.
  • spamarie
    Options
    I am however super stoked about bonfire night this year. Not only is it dropping on a weekend, the weather looks decent and we have some low level noise fireworks to let off. It'll be Andrew's first Guy Fawkes/bonfire night so that will be fun. Plus grandma is hosting so f
  • spamarie
    Options
    I think I would like Halloween if I were in the States. You get into not properly. It's just not a massive tradition for most people here.

I am however super stoked about bonfire night this year. Not only is it dropping on a weekend, the weather looks decent and we have some low noise fireworks and a lot of stuff to burn. It'll be Andrew's first Guy Fawkes/bonfire night so that will be fun. Plus grandma is hosting so food!

And since my pre-op is the following Monday morning, the child will probably stop over at grandma's so we don't have to take him to hospital, and a handy side effect is I will have a mini lie-in. Win-win.
  • spamarie
    Options
    Weird mangled post! I've had nowt but computer woes today!