Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    spamarie wrote: »
    We don't do Halloween. It just doesn't seem very British. I think I would take the kids to some kind of organised event, but no way would we trick or treat. Luckily we live down a dead end lane on the outskirts of a rural village with street lights, so nobody has ever bothered us.

But it does just so happen to be Andrew's nursery day and they are having a little party and dressing up. I hope he has fun! I'm sure he'll be happy so long as there's food involved (boy after my own heart).

Yeah, it's funny because all the shops are desperately trying to get people to get into Halloween and BUY BUY BUY! Every year the majority of adults in England just give a collective middle-finger and won't take the bait.

I wish America would get on board with this mentality. There's been Christmas trees, etc, in the stores for weeks already.

I'm just glad that there hasn't been Christmas music on the store radios yet!
    Yeah, but why hasn’t there been Halloween music in stores? RUDE.
    :P
    (On a semi-related note, my host family’s doorbell plays “jingle bells” and for the first two weeks I couldn’t figure out why I had Christmas carols stuck in my head...)

I have to admit I am glad I didn't hear Pumpkin Head Harvey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltxf9TxKx8o
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    abi111 wrote: »
    i just ate about 20 of them vitamin gummies. should of had some actual sweets, least they would have tasted nice.

I hope that doesn't make you sick.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    i just ate about 20 of them vitamin gummies. should of had some actual sweets, least they would have tasted nice.

Candy may have actually been a “healthier” choice, in this instance. :#
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

Candy may have actually been a “healthier” choice, in this instance. :#

& cheaper!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    I think the doctor’s office thought I was pregnant. Hilarious for a number of reasons, not least that in Russia you can’t just explain to anyone that you’re gay as a party.
    In better news I actually ate breakfast today. Amazing. More miracles to follow.

At least you went. Thank you.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Underground utilities are great until repairs and maintenance requires blocking off four rows of parking. And the only reason I know why the rows are blocked is that I can see them and the utilities people just pulled up.
    I nearly drove my truck through their caution tape this morning. We need more lights in that lot.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I think the doctor’s office thought I was pregnant. Hilarious for a number of reasons, not least that in Russia you can’t just explain to anyone that you’re gay as a party.
    In better news I actually ate breakfast today. Amazing. More miracles to follow.

Jesus, I wouldn't even tell your host mum that.
    Yay for eating breakfast though! And I'm glad you went to the doctors. Did you get any answers or help?
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    We don't do Halloween. It just doesn't seem very British. I think I would take the kids to some kind of organised event, but no way would we trick or treat. Luckily we live down a dead end lane on the outskirts of a rural village with street lights, so nobody has ever bothered us.

But it does just so happen to be Andrew's nursery day and they are having a little party and dressing up. I hope he has fun! I'm sure he'll be happy so long as there's food involved (boy after my own heart).

Yeah, it's funny because all the shops are desperately trying to get people to get into Halloween and BUY BUY BUY! Every year the majority of adults in England just give a collective middle-finger and won't take the bait.

I wish America would get on board with this mentality. There's been Christmas trees, etc, in the stores for weeks already.

I'm just glad that there hasn't been Christmas music on the store radios yet!

Oh crips, the say this starts, I will complain until its OVER. I hate that they shove Christmas down your throat everywhere you go for a month or more!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Wow Mel, that is some impressive Halloween dedication.

Well done on the Dr app @SoulOfRusalka. I avoided that while abroad just for fear of getting tongue tied. Took me a month to figure out how the laundry worked in my Austrian youth hostel! (Austrian German is NOT the same as German German.) But at least mobile phones have moved on sufficiently you've always got Google translate in your corner (blasphemy for a language graduate, I know).

I have finished all my Christmas shopping. I just need to do some wrapping and I'm done! Never usually this organised but I know full well once baby is here, nothing will get done.

Just like Canadian French is not the same as France French.....
  • Lois_1989
    Options

Well done on the Dr app @SoulOfRusalka. I avoided that while abroad just for fear of getting tongue tied. Took me a month to figure out how the laundry worked in my Austrian youth hostel! (Austrian German is NOT the same as German German.) But at least mobile phones have moved on sufficiently you've always got Google translate in your corner (blasphemy for a language graduate, I know).

I have finished all my Christmas shopping. I just need to do some wrapping and I'm done! Never usually this organised but I know full well once baby is here, nothing will get done.

Is that true? I didn't know that. Makes sense now that you say it. Isolated languages evolve into their own version.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

Jesus, I wouldn't even tell your host mum that.
    Yay for eating breakfast though! And I'm glad you went to the doctors. Did you get any answers or help?

Reading back on this, it was meant more as a concern for your safety rather than a comment on your sexual preference. I know a gay couple who moved from Russia to England for their own safety, they won't even go home to see their parents.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Confession: When someone says on a thread that they "binged" on 7 fun-sized candy bars on Halloween, I want to reach through the computer and throttle them. >:)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Confession: When someone says on a thread that they "binged" on 7 fun-sized candy bars on Halloween, I want to reach through the computer and throttle them. >:)

Woo-hoo, big Binger! I don't think of it as a binge unless I eat the whole bag. I can walk off the calories in 7 funsize candy bars.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Woo-hoo, big Binger! I don't think of it as a binge unless I eat the whole bag. I can walk off the calories in 7 funsize candy bars.

Right?!? It's a binge when you've blown thousands of calories, not a couple hundred. I don't have, and have never had, BED. But it seems disrespectful to those people who struggle with true BED to call 7 fun-sized candy bars a binge.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options

I saw that and was thinking the same thing. Huge eyeroll.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options

Is that true? I didn't know that. Makes sense now that you say it. Isolated languages evolve into their own version.

Very true. I have a French Canadian friend, and while we understand each other on the whole, the accent is totally different and many of the words are too. Much like British English and American English.

Tends to be more Anglicisms in Canadian French as they're far less snobbish than us. Did you know the French French have an academy whose job it is to protect the language, and whose members get issued with ceremonial swords!? True story.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Very true. I have a French Canadian friend, and while we understand each other on the whole, the accent is totally different and many of the words are too. Much like British English and American English.

Tends to be more Anglicisms in Canadian French as they're far less snobbish than us. Did you know the French French have an academy whose job it is to protect the language, and whose members get issued with ceremonial swords!? True story.
    I won’t lie, I would kill for a job protecting the French language with a ceremonial sword.
    Or just protecting Canadian French with a shiv. Either way.

• SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

I saw that and was thinking the same thing. Huge eyeroll.
    Every time someone says they “binged” on a perfectly ordinary amount of food I just want to scream “that word does not mean what you think it means!!!”