Help me solve an argument with my friend

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well this thread is on its way downhill.

Just letting you guys know that it's not worth it. You know who I'm addressing friends. Nothing good will come of it.

look at you all refereeing!!!
    do you have a referee shirt for the pooch??? :)

LOL
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    capriqueen wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    meltedsno wrote: »

Breakfast: Protein shake with 2/3c protein powder, 1/4 c oats, 1/3 banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds (280-300 calories with 25 g protein)

your friend might be on to something....In another posting you said you are using Body Fortress and have 1/2 serving. 1/2 serving has 170 cal in it and is one scoop (that is provided with the protein powder). One scoop is about 1/4 c.

Your serving size of 2/3c is closer to maybe 1 1/4 servings. That's putting your protein powder at around 215 calories alone. 1/4 c oats has around 100 calories, add 1/3 banana at around 35 calories... 1 Tbsp chia seeds is another 70 calories. Total this all up and your 280-300 calorie estimate is really 420 calories.

I meant the 2/3 of the cup they provide, inside the box. It's smaller than the cup we use otherwise. They specify that the one cup of protein powder is a serving.. which is 150 calories.

The food itself does not lead to weight gain. Weigh you food for accuracy all around.

Do you weigh the scoop in grams to make sure you have a correct serving? In fact, do you weigh all your food to make sure your servings are correct?

I don't have a food scale..... kind of on a budget and pressed for time with grad school, so I'm doing the best I can with what I have. But I can assure you I was not on this diet when I was gaining weight. I was eating fast food left, right and center..... and much,much more than my TDEE.

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?
    I do have that much. But I'm just worried weighing everything I eat might take up too much of my time. I'll think about it then....

It adds only seconds of time to your food prep. Put your plate on the scale, and zero it out after putting each item on your plate. It's that simple. For example, if I'm making a sandwich. I put the plate on the scale. Turn it on. Add bread of proper weight, hit the button to zero it out. Add mayo, hit the button. Add ham, hit the button. Add cheese, hit the button...and so on with any veggies. It only adds as much time to your food prep as it takes you to press the button, which is not much at all. After a while it just becomes habit, and you don't even think about it.

Placed an order for the food scale. The last thing I want derailing my weight loss regime is overestimation! :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Breakfast: Protein shake with 2/3c protein powder, 1/4 c oats, 1/3 banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds (280-300 calories with 25 g protein)

your friend might be on to something....In another posting you said you are using Body Fortress and have 1/2 serving. 1/2 serving has 170 cal in it and is one scoop (that is provided with the protein powder). One scoop is about 1/4 c.

Your serving size of 2/3c is closer to maybe 1 1/4 servings. That's putting your protein powder at around 215 calories alone. 1/4 c oats has around 100 calories, add 1/3 banana at around 35 calories... 1 Tbsp chia seeds is another 70 calories. Total this all up and your 280-300 calorie estimate is really 420 calories.

I meant the 2/3 of the cup they provide, inside the box. It's smaller than the cup we use otherwise. They specify that the one cup of protein powder is a serving.. which is 150 calories.

The food itself does not lead to weight gain. Weigh you food for accuracy all around.

Do you weigh the scoop in grams to make sure you have a correct serving? In fact, do you weigh all your food to make sure your servings are correct?

I don't have a food scale..... kind of on a budget and pressed for time with grad school, so I'm doing the best I can with what I have. But I can assure you I was not on this diet when I was gaining weight. I was eating fast food left, right and center..... and much,much more than my TDEE.

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?
    I do have that much. But I'm just worried weighing everything I eat might take up too much of my time. I'll think about it then....

It adds only seconds of time to your food prep. Put your plate on the scale, and zero it out after putting each item on your plate. It's that simple. For example, if I'm making a sandwich. I put the plate on the scale. Turn it on. Add bread of proper weight, hit the button to zero it out. Add mayo, hit the button. Add ham, hit the button. Add cheese, hit the button...and so on with any veggies. It only adds as much time to your food prep as it takes you to press the button, which is not much at all. After a while it just becomes habit, and you don't even think about it.

Placed an order for the food scale. The last thing I want derailing my weight loss regime is overestimation! :)

good for you ..

trust me you will notice a huge difference in how you see portion sizes...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Just letting you guys know that it's not worth it. You know who I'm addressing friends. Nothing good will come of it.

LOL
    Of course he does.

Debates are great. Debates with people that don't know how to are pointless. I'm tired of seeing my friends get reprimanded over people that aren't worth it

ha! You gotta put a pic up of that…

and I agree with ya…its not worth it ...
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

LOL
    Of course he does.

Debates are great. Debates with people that don't know how to are pointless. I'm tired of seeing my friends get reprimanded over people that aren't worth it

wasn't a "debate". someone decided to laugh at me in order to troll.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?

I weigh all my solids and it takes about an extra ten seconds…

turn on scale
    put food on scale
    take note of weight
    done

It really doesn't take long op - and you'll be surprised at how easy it is to go massively over using cups. My little protein powder cup is wrong.

My little cup is wrong too. If I pack it it'll be over but if I just scoop out a 'rounded' scoop it's under. But that's not too surprising, since the little cups seem to be standardized by brand and some flavors have different serving weights
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

LOL
    Of course he does.

wasn't a "debate". someone decided to laugh at me in order to troll.

just let it go bro …geez…you have been going back and forth for like a page and a half...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?

turn on scale
    put food on scale
    take note of weight
    done

It really doesn't take long op - and you'll be surprised at how easy it is to go massively over using cups. My little protein powder cup is wrong.

Mine is wrong too. My scale is my godsend.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?

turn on scale
    put food on scale
    take note of weight
    done

My little cup is wrong too. If I pack it it'll be over but if I just scoop out a 'rounded' scoop it's under. But that's not too surprising, since the little cups seem to be standardized by brand and some flavors have different serving weights

Mine is also wrong. There's a barely discernible line running about 1/4 of an inch below the rim of the scoop that seems to be about right when I use the scale to weigh it, but the jar of powder specifies FULL scoop on the label. The liars.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?

I'm proud of you!

• capriqueen
    Options

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?

I'm proud of you!

Thanks!!!

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?

If it's not derailing you now, it will in the future. I scooped out half a cup of oatmeal and ended up with 20% more weight. Eggs and bread are usually heavier than the calorie count on the package (1 large egg=averages 70 calories according to the USDA; they are most frequently 75+ in my experience). If you have a 500-calorie deficit, you might not notice, but you will once that deficit shrinks.
  • capriqueen
    Options

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?

If it's not derailing you now, it will in the future. I scooped out half a cup of oatmeal and ended up with 20% more weight. Eggs and bread are usually heavier than the calorie count on the package (1 large egg=averages 70 calories according to the USDA; they are most frequently 75+ in my experience). If you have a 500-calorie deficit, you might not notice, but you will once that deficit shrinks.

I know... have been in that place where I measured out a cup of cereal.. and I turned out to be wayyy off. Finally bought the food scale! :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

I make my own protein shakes from protein powder. Each scoop has 4 g of carbohydrate and no sugar.

My point still stands. You need natural food protein. Protein powder has ingredients which you've never even heard of and most likely can't even spell . Just eat natural protein like fish, cheese, yoghurt etc.

Like what? What is wrong with them, these ingredients?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

I make my own protein shakes from protein powder. Each scoop has 4 g of carbohydrate and no sugar.

My point still stands. You need natural food protein. Protein powder has ingredients which you've never even heard of and most likely can't even spell . Just eat natural protein like fish, cheese, yoghurt etc.

You're right.... but the thing is I don't eat meat, and I can't afford yogurt because I'm a grad student on a budget. Even the protein powder is the cheapest brand I could find (Body Fortress) which I use half serving a day. Any cheaper ideas?

No she is not.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.

Agreed, metabolism prefers solid foods than liquid food :wink:
    NO, you're just sated longer with solids. Metabolism is not affected one way or the other.

With solid food you stay full for longer as your body takes its time to break down the food., a lot of people on here who complain about getting hungry often usually have a lot of shakes/smoothies in their diet.

Smoothies don't make me hungry. Assumptions.

You keep manoeuvring away from the point mades "a lot of people on here who complain about being hungry"

I didn't say everyone who eats liquid food.
    Get over it seriously

Your points are either scientifically wrong or completely based upon assumptions and strawman arguments.

Solids MAY leave a person satiated longer than liquids, but don't alter metabolism. Carbs are neither dirty nor clean, they just are. Complaining about one carb while admitting to eating carb laden fruits is laughable. As pointed out, identify the chemical compounds ... and correctly spell them all ... in a blueberry without looking it up ... or an orange, piece of meat, etc. The if you can't spell it line of attacking a food fails to hold up to any scrutiny.

When you mention compounds you're getting more scientific & literally twisting everything I had said....

I was talking about general ingredients eg a fruit salad could have pieces of apples, blueberries, mangoes etc. in no way did I refer to compounds within an apple or the mango.

It was all a suggestion that OP should try natural foods (natural occurring sugars/ingredients) than added sugar. I never said they should stay away from carbs in general which is what you're insinuating and "making up"

Everyone keeps manouvering away from the suggestions given (not in any way forceful to the OP). We all have our own diet opinion on what works for us & will not necessarily work for everyone, hence why all suggestions given on this app are always optional. My suggestion & recommendations were merely on my experience on what worked for me, as I prefer a natural diet & I do try to stay away from tinned foods just like how many people on here try to stay away from certain foods in their diet. You saying Its an assumption, is what an actual assumption is, as you didn't ask where my view was coming from.

Please OP all my points about your protein shake were suggestions and recommendations, meaning that you have a choice. If the protein shake is really working for you then please carry on doing it. Our bodies function differently hence why other people have high metabolism than others & some people have different allergies to others.

No-one is maneuvering anywhere. You started off with an incorrect statement among the hyperbole and blanket statements and got called on it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.

Agreed, metabolism prefers solid foods than liquid food :wink:
    NO, you're just sated longer with solids. Metabolism is not affected one way or the other.

With solid food you stay full for longer as your body takes its time to break down the food., a lot of people on here who complain about getting hungry often usually have a lot of shakes/smoothies in their diet.

Smoothies don't make me hungry. Assumptions.

You keep manoeuvring away from the point mades "a lot of people on here who complain about being hungry"

I didn't say everyone who eats liquid food.
    Get over it seriously

Your points are either scientifically wrong or completely based upon assumptions and strawman arguments.

Solids MAY leave a person satiated longer than liquids, but don't alter metabolism. Carbs are neither dirty nor clean, they just are. Complaining about one carb while admitting to eating carb laden fruits is laughable. As pointed out, identify the chemical compounds ... and correctly spell them all ... in a blueberry without looking it up ... or an orange, piece of meat, etc. The if you can't spell it line of attacking a food fails to hold up to any scrutiny.

When you mention compounds you're getting more scientific & literally twisting everything I had said....

I was talking about general ingredients eg a fruit salad could have pieces of apples, blueberries, mangoes etc. in no way did I refer to compounds within an apple or the mango.

It was all a suggestion that OP should try natural foods (natural occurring sugars/ingredients) than added sugar. I never said they should stay away from carbs in general which is what you're insinuating and "making up"

Everyone keeps manouvering away from the suggestions given (not in any way forceful to the OP). We all have our own diet opinion on what works for us & will not necessarily work for everyone, hence why all suggestions given on this app are always optional. My suggestion & recommendations were merely on my experience on what worked for me, as I prefer a natural diet & I do try to stay away from tinned foods just like how many people on here try to stay away from certain foods in their diet. You saying Its an assumption, is what an actual assumption is, as you didn't ask where my view was coming from.

Please OP all my points about your protein shake were suggestions and recommendations, meaning that you have a choice. If the protein shake is really working for you then please carry on doing it. Our bodies function differently hence why other people have high metabolism than others & some people have different allergies to others.

You're the one labeling a carb as dirty ... then stating we're "making up" what you said. When one counters your points with science ... it's getting "scientific" which it seems you're against . Now you're saying people should eat natural even if they can't spell what's in those natural foods ... because apparently if you can spell what is in it only matters if it is a food you disagree with.

For those without medical conditions, it is simply calories in vs calories out without regard to food type. For those with medical conditions, it is still calories in vs calories out with a few caveats on the intake. There are some medications that alter how the body functions ... but when those are accounted for weight loss remains a function of calories in vs calories out. It is simple science.

What if I couldn't pronounce like .. Pineapple for some reason? Or what about ESL people, can they not eat a bunch of things when they are speaking English but they can eat them only when speaking their first language?

Pineapple is evil and should be avoided anyway....