Help me solve an argument with my friend

Options
12345679»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    crocky64 wrote: »
    Don't see a problem with having protein shakes but as stated in other feeds foods containing high proteins are better. Oh your friend is kinda right your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein and can stor the rest if you don't exercise or use it then your body could I repeat could turn it to fat over time.

what???????????????????
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yep spoke to nutritionist basically he explains when all said and done most shakes contain some form of calories these are what we store as energy excess energy has to go somewhere ???????
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep spoke to nutritionist basically he explains when all said and done most shakes contain some form of calories these are what we store as energy excess energy has to go somewhere ???????

Dude, get a new one!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

Well, I mean... ALL food contains calories. Eat anything in excess and you will likely eat above your caloric needs. Shakes are not in and of themselves going to cause gains or losses.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Well, I mean... ALL food contains calories. Eat anything in excess and you will likely eat above your caloric needs. Shakes are not in and of themselves going to cause gains or losses.

Yeah, I think this sounds like accurate information that just got misinterpreted somewhere.

The body can "use" a certain amount of protein at a time for muscle repair. The rest it converts to energy, which gets stored (as excess fat) if not used.

That's why it's usually not recommended to go super high on protein, even if lifting weights at a calorie deficit. Past a certain threshold, there's not much point in adding more protein, since it pretty much just gets processed same as any other calories.
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The Calorific value of protein is the same as carbs. Your body doesn't know the difference of where the calories are coming from so if you think in literal terms you can easily have excess calories without knowing it. Use MFP to help control your deficit
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. OP, if you come back, the best way to win this argument is to reach your goals eating as you please. You are doing fine.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The Calorific value of protein is the same as carbs. Your body doesn't know the difference of where the calories are coming from so if you think in literal terms you can easily have excess calories without knowing it. Use MFP to help control your deficit

The caloric total of a gram of carbohydrate is the same as that of a gram of protein however the body differentiates between the two easily.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    capriqueen wrote: »
    Why is pineapple evil? High GI?

Because she doesn't think it tastes good.
    Why is pineapple evil? High GI?

Because she doesn't think it tastes good.

And it contamines everything it touches....evil.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    Natural protein is good... But protein from shakes or bars has a ridiculous amount of sugar. Best stick to natural protein.

I make my own protein shakes from protein powder. Each scoop has 4 g of carbohydrate and no sugar.

My point still stands. You need natural food protein. Protein powder has ingredients which you've never even heard of and most likely can't even spell . Just eat natural protein like fish, cheese, yoghurt etc.

Natural protein is preferable but if it helps you get your protein in for the day there is nothing wrong with a shake. CI/CO
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options

The caloric total of a gram of carbohydrate is the same as that of a gram of protein however the body differentiates between the two easily.

By differentiate, do you mean using it to help repair/build muscle?
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Tell him to read.... *win argument*
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

there super calorific exp-e-alidocious....