Options
    capriqueen wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    meltedsno wrote: »

Breakfast: Protein shake with 2/3c protein powder, 1/4 c oats, 1/3 banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds (280-300 calories with 25 g protein)

your friend might be on to something....In another posting you said you are using Body Fortress and have 1/2 serving. 1/2 serving has 170 cal in it and is one scoop (that is provided with the protein powder). One scoop is about 1/4 c.

Your serving size of 2/3c is closer to maybe 1 1/4 servings. That's putting your protein powder at around 215 calories alone. 1/4 c oats has around 100 calories, add 1/3 banana at around 35 calories... 1 Tbsp chia seeds is another 70 calories. Total this all up and your 280-300 calorie estimate is really 420 calories.

I meant the 2/3 of the cup they provide, inside the box. It's smaller than the cup we use otherwise. They specify that the one cup of protein powder is a serving.. which is 150 calories.

The food itself does not lead to weight gain. Weigh you food for accuracy all around.

Do you weigh the scoop in grams to make sure you have a correct serving? In fact, do you weigh all your food to make sure your servings are correct?

I don't have a food scale..... kind of on a budget and pressed for time with grad school, so I'm doing the best I can with what I have. But I can assure you I was not on this diet when I was gaining weight. I was eating fast food left, right and center..... and much,much more than my TDEE.

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?
    I do have that much. But I'm just worried weighing everything I eat might take up too much of my time. I'll think about it then....

If you do not want to weigh everything all the time, especially foods you have all the time, it may be useful to weigh things a couple of times to get a good idea of the serving size. Where on that scoop is a serving of protein powder? How large of a bowl of cereal is a serving (depressingly small unfortunately so I would suggest weighing this all the time), how much really is a serving of PB (highly caloric so this may be good to weigh all the time). If you are losing weight with estimates - its fine - if things are not going as planned, you can always tighten up the weighing.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Breakfast: Protein shake with 2/3c protein powder, 1/4 c oats, 1/3 banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds (280-300 calories with 25 g protein)

your friend might be on to something....In another posting you said you are using Body Fortress and have 1/2 serving. 1/2 serving has 170 cal in it and is one scoop (that is provided with the protein powder). One scoop is about 1/4 c.

Your serving size of 2/3c is closer to maybe 1 1/4 servings. That's putting your protein powder at around 215 calories alone. 1/4 c oats has around 100 calories, add 1/3 banana at around 35 calories... 1 Tbsp chia seeds is another 70 calories. Total this all up and your 280-300 calorie estimate is really 420 calories.

I meant the 2/3 of the cup they provide, inside the box. It's smaller than the cup we use otherwise. They specify that the one cup of protein powder is a serving.. which is 150 calories.

The food itself does not lead to weight gain. Weigh you food for accuracy all around.

Do you weigh the scoop in grams to make sure you have a correct serving? In fact, do you weigh all your food to make sure your servings are correct?

I don't have a food scale..... kind of on a budget and pressed for time with grad school, so I'm doing the best I can with what I have. But I can assure you I was not on this diet when I was gaining weight. I was eating fast food left, right and center..... and much,much more than my TDEE.

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?
    I do have that much. But I'm just worried weighing everything I eat might take up too much of my time. I'll think about it then....

If you do not want to weigh everything all the time, especially foods you have all the time, it may be useful to weigh things a couple of times to get a good idea of the serving size. Where on that scoop is a serving of protein powder? How large of a bowl of cereal is a serving (depressingly small unfortunately so I would suggest weighing this all the time), how much really is a serving of PB (highly caloric so this may be good to weigh all the time). If you are losing weight with estimates - its fine - if things are not going as planned, you can always tighten up the weighing.

Thanks! I bought the food scale so I'll probably go ahead and do that. Oh, and cereals? I painfully realised how small a serving was, I was actually eating a 1/2 cup of cereal thinking it was what they meant and realised my estimates were way off the charts. Kind of threw my calorie counting off balance.. but now I don't eat cereals because I don't find them that filling anyway.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Well this thread is on its way downhill.

Just letting you guys know that it's not worth it. You know who I'm addressing friends. Nothing good will come of it.
    Dude where the eff is your dog?

You also missed the giant shitestorm culminating in posts deleted by a few posters so.. yeah it already went downhill lo.l.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    shaleeny88 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.

Agreed, metabolism prefers solid foods than liquid food :wink:
    NO, you're just sated longer with solids. Metabolism is not affected one way or the other.

With solid food you stay full for longer as your body takes its time to break down the food., a lot of people on here who complain about getting hungry often usually have a lot of shakes/smoothies in their diet.

Smoothies don't make me hungry. Assumptions.

You keep manoeuvring away from the point mades "a lot of people on here who complain about being hungry"

I didn't say everyone who eats liquid food.
    Get over it seriously

Your points are either scientifically wrong or completely based upon assumptions and strawman arguments.

Solids MAY leave a person satiated longer than liquids, but don't alter metabolism. Carbs are neither dirty nor clean, they just are. Complaining about one carb while admitting to eating carb laden fruits is laughable. As pointed out, identify the chemical compounds ... and correctly spell them all ... in a blueberry without looking it up ... or an orange, piece of meat, etc. The if you can't spell it line of attacking a food fails to hold up to any scrutiny.

When you mention compounds you're getting more scientific & literally twisting everything I had said....

I was talking about general ingredients eg a fruit salad could have pieces of apples, blueberries, mangoes etc. in no way did I refer to compounds within an apple or the mango.

It was all a suggestion that OP should try natural foods (natural occurring sugars/ingredients) than added sugar. I never said they should stay away from carbs in general which is what you're insinuating and "making up"

Everyone keeps manouvering away from the suggestions given (not in any way forceful to the OP). We all have our own diet opinion on what works for us & will not necessarily work for everyone, hence why all suggestions given on this app are always optional. My suggestion & recommendations were merely on my experience on what worked for me, as I prefer a natural diet & I do try to stay away from tinned foods just like how many people on here try to stay away from certain foods in their diet. You saying Its an assumption, is what an actual assumption is, as you didn't ask where my view was coming from.

Please OP all my points about your protein shake were suggestions and recommendations, meaning that you have a choice. If the protein shake is really working for you then please carry on doing it. Our bodies function differently hence why other people have high metabolism than others & some people have different allergies to others.

You're the one labeling a carb as dirty ... then stating we're "making up" what you said. When one counters your points with science ... it's getting "scientific" which it seems you're against . Now you're saying people should eat natural even if they can't spell what's in those natural foods ... because apparently if you can spell what is in it only matters if it is a food you disagree with.

For those without medical conditions, it is simply calories in vs calories out without regard to food type. For those with medical conditions, it is still calories in vs calories out with a few caveats on the intake. There are some medications that alter how the body functions ... but when those are accounted for weight loss remains a function of calories in vs calories out. It is simple science.

What if I couldn't pronounce like .. Pineapple for some reason? Or what about ESL people, can they not eat a bunch of things when they are speaking English but they can eat them only when speaking their first language?

Pineapple is evil and should be avoided anyway....
    But it's delicious on pizza, OKAY? I don't like it on its own though. But on pizza? Yum. It's lik ehow I can't stomach raw mushrooms but I love them in dishes.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why is pineapple evil? High GI?
  • ana3067
    Options
    Why is pineapple evil? High GI?

Because she doesn't think it tastes good.
  • ana3067
    Options

Just letting you guys know that it's not worth it. You know who I'm addressing friends. Nothing good will come of it.

You also missed the giant shitestorm culminating in posts deleted by a few posters so.. yeah it already went downhill lo.l.
    Lol, he's coming back in a few minutes. He's napping. See I missed it, that's what I get for going to to do something fun.

I need more puppyyyy. Also it was uh, intense? You really didn't miss anything too special! Just some name-calling and whatnot.
  • ana3067
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

Lol, he's coming back in a few minutes. He's napping. See I missed it, that's what I get for going to to do something fun.

I need more puppyyyy. Also it was uh, intense? You really didn't miss anything too special! Just some name-calling and whatnot.

After all the shenanigans that have gone on in this thread, I'm truly surprised it's still alive.

I don't think there's been any violations so... we're safe bwaahahaha
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

After all the shenanigans that have gone on in this thread, I'm truly surprised it's still alive.

I don't think there's been any violations so... we're safe bwaahahaha

You mean today!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Seriously, why are you drinking your meals? Yogurt is less expensive than protein powder.

Agreed, metabolism prefers solid foods than liquid food :wink:
    NO, you're just sated longer with solids. Metabolism is not affected one way or the other.

With solid food you stay full for longer as your body takes its time to break down the food., a lot of people on here who complain about getting hungry often usually have a lot of shakes/smoothies in their diet.

Smoothies don't make me hungry. Assumptions.

You keep manoeuvring away from the point mades "a lot of people on here who complain about being hungry"

I didn't say everyone who eats liquid food.
    Get over it seriously

Your points are either scientifically wrong or completely based upon assumptions and strawman arguments.

Solids MAY leave a person satiated longer than liquids, but don't alter metabolism. Carbs are neither dirty nor clean, they just are. Complaining about one carb while admitting to eating carb laden fruits is laughable. As pointed out, identify the chemical compounds ... and correctly spell them all ... in a blueberry without looking it up ... or an orange, piece of meat, etc. The if you can't spell it line of attacking a food fails to hold up to any scrutiny.

When you mention compounds you're getting more scientific & literally twisting everything I had said....

I was talking about general ingredients eg a fruit salad could have pieces of apples, blueberries, mangoes etc. in no way did I refer to compounds within an apple or the mango.

It was all a suggestion that OP should try natural foods (natural occurring sugars/ingredients) than added sugar. I never said they should stay away from carbs in general which is what you're insinuating and "making up"

Everyone keeps manouvering away from the suggestions given (not in any way forceful to the OP). We all have our own diet opinion on what works for us & will not necessarily work for everyone, hence why all suggestions given on this app are always optional. My suggestion & recommendations were merely on my experience on what worked for me, as I prefer a natural diet & I do try to stay away from tinned foods just like how many people on here try to stay away from certain foods in their diet. You saying Its an assumption, is what an actual assumption is, as you didn't ask where my view was coming from.

Please OP all my points about your protein shake were suggestions and recommendations, meaning that you have a choice. If the protein shake is really working for you then please carry on doing it. Our bodies function differently hence why other people have high metabolism than others & some people have different allergies to others.

You're the one labeling a carb as dirty ... then stating we're "making up" what you said. When one counters your points with science ... it's getting "scientific" which it seems you're against . Now you're saying people should eat natural even if they can't spell what's in those natural foods ... because apparently if you can spell what is in it only matters if it is a food you disagree with.

For those without medical conditions, it is simply calories in vs calories out without regard to food type. For those with medical conditions, it is still calories in vs calories out with a few caveats on the intake. There are some medications that alter how the body functions ... but when those are accounted for weight loss remains a function of calories in vs calories out. It is simple science.

What if I couldn't pronounce like .. Pineapple for some reason? Or what about ESL people, can they not eat a bunch of things when they are speaking English but they can eat them only when speaking their first language?

Pineapple is evil and should be avoided anyway....

Never! Yesterday with breakfast my man made orange and pineapple juice to have with breakfast, and it was delicious!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    That's it. I'm never leaving my house again.

As you shouldn't. :D
  • Laureani
    Laureani Posts: 134 Member
    Options

you don't have 20.00??

It's just $20.00?

My food scale cost $7.19 on Amazon.
    Trust me it doesn't take that long to weigh your food, I'm a student as well and I'm very busy, you'll be fine.
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't see a problem with having protein shakes but as stated in other feeds foods containing high proteins are better. Oh your friend is kinda right your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein and can stor the rest if you don't exercise or use it then your body could I repeat could turn it to fat over time.