What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    How doing your laundry changes. You don't have to worry about shrinking something because you will be able to wear it again in a few weeks or so after you lose some more. You also try to shrink a few favorites so you can still wear them.

Also the 3 stages of washing jeans:
    1. Brand new and a little snug so they are cold water, line dry
    2. Fit perfect but loosen up a little with wear so warm water, line dry
    3. A bit loose so warm (or hot) water and dry the heck out of them so they tighten up as much as possible

Lastly, going to the pool in a swimsuit for the first time and "knowing" everyone is talking about you and how fat you look. A year later, going to the pool and finding out that others actually ARE talking about you: your dedication to exercise, how much you have lost, and how motivating you are to them.

Yes!! I made the mistake of ordering a few shirts and pants right at the beginning at my then size. 45lbs later and I'm throwing everything in the dryer hoping to get a little more life outta them. But I am down to one shirt and maybe one pair of jeans outta that order. And the jeans are pushing it. :neutral:
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    How doing your laundry changes. You don't have to worry about shrinking something because you will be able to wear it again in a few weeks or so after you lose some more. You also try to shrink a few favorites so you can still wear them.

Also the 3 stages of washing jeans:
    1. Brand new and a little snug so they are cold water, line dry
    2. Fit perfect but loosen up a little with wear so warm water, line dry
    3. A bit loose so warm (or hot) water and dry the heck out of them so they tighten up as much as possible

I'll have to try that last one on some of my jeans. I got into a couple older pairs I couldn't when I was heavier. They are quite comfy now. But now I have to wear a belt on the bigger, newer ones that used to be tight or just right. Once we get our dryer fixed (yep), I'll try washing those in warm or hot.

Gabrielle
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

mcornall88 wrote: »
    That when you first start at the gym you'll be sheepish about picking up a weight someone else is hanging around, but 6 months later you'll have no issue dragging a screeching bench through a crowd half way across the gym because you NEED it.

Same goes for people asking how many sets you have left!
    first month - "Oh, it's OK you can have it...."
    6 months in - "I have 4 sets left with 90 second rests between, but you can rep in if you're wanting to lift the same weight?"

Confidence builds quick.

I love this and hope I get to that point. I've gotten better about lifting without my trainer around, feeling more comfortable. For some reason though, I think the women there intimidate me more than the guys.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    I read people say that weight loss is not linear, especially for women. It's true! The scale doesn't move for me for three weeks, sometimes it increases too. Then one week before my TOM, bam! I am down by 3-4 kgs! It lasts about a week and then steadily increases again. But every time I lose, I reach a new low.

Me too. It's the ONLY reason I look forward to TOM! lol
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    When you seem like you are the same size even though you are losing weight and then "bam" you drop 2 sizes and you go shopping and when you grab the size down and its too big you cant believe you are 2 sizes down so you have to try on 20 outfits at about 8 different stores ( cuz sizes vary) until you believe you are actually that size and didnt just get lucky at a particular store because their make of clothes is bigger

This.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Nobody warned me how weird it would be that I'd be able to feel my bones more. I'm constantly banging my hip bone on things or knocking it with my elbow or something, still freaks me out. It's not exactly super visible yet, but the loss of fat from that area has definitely made a difference! Also along the same line, that you wont be able to stop touching your collarbones! I didn't realise I'd missed them until they made a reappearance! haha.

Another thing is that I've suddenly started caring what I look like a lot more- not in a vain way, but that I want to wear 'nice' clothes all the time now, even if I'm just staying at home all day.

Also having rings slide off your fingers. I inherited mine from my grandmother, whose fingers were much smaller than mine. Had it resized 5 or 6 years ago, and now it's constantly spinning round or sliding off so I can't wear it. Going to have to have it sized down again!

Overall though the biggest change is just in how much happier I am in general! Eating better has obviously helped to improve my mood a lot on a daily basis, but losing the weight means that I'm not in a grump because my jeans have gotten tighter or my favourite top is too clingy. I do still have 'off' days where I feel bloated or whatever, but my moods are nowhere near as severe! (Which I'm sure my boyfriend is very grateful for! haha)
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I can tell if my weight is up or down from day to day from how heavy my boobs feel on a given day.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    aerochic42 wrote: »
    I've learned that I can tell if my weight is up or down from day to day from how heavy my boobs feel on a given day.

I am the same way, but with my legs, I feel the water retention in my thighs alot more than anywhere else.
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    I read people say that weight loss is not linear, especially for women. It's true! The scale doesn't move for me for three weeks, sometimes it increases too. Then one week before my TOM, bam! I am down by 3-4 kgs! It lasts about a week and then steadily increases again. But every time I lose, I reach a new low.
    Yes this!! My pattern isn't quite as exact but I do notice that I am prone to stalls and whooshes. It can be frustrating to see the scale stay the same day after day or even increase but if you keep your head in the right place that drop is so worth it!
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    That when you first start at the gym you'll be sheepish about picking up a weight someone else is hanging around, but 6 months later you'll have no issue dragging a screeching bench through a crowd half way across the gym because you NEED it.

6 months in - "I have 4 sets left with 90 second rests between, but you can rep in if you're wanting to lift the same weight?"

Confidence builds quick.

I love this and hope I get to that point. I've gotten better about lifting without my trainer around, feeling more comfortable. For some reason though, I think the women there intimidate me more than the guys.

I hear ya. The women at my gym are all amazingly awesome, and doing things I could only dream of!!

And there I am in my corner, benching 50 little pounds, thinking "I'll get there, you watch me!!" to myself. . .
  • sarab920
    sarab920 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wayy more compliments. Not sure if it's good or bad, but why does my outfit have to be cute now but it was it not when I was 20lbs heavier?

I cry way more now than I did before.

Ill-fitting pants :neutral:

Too long shirts
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »

Confidence builds quick.

I hear ya. The women at my gym are all amazingly awesome, and doing things I could only dream of!!

And there I am in my corner, benching 50 little pounds, thinking "I'll get there, you watch me!!" to myself. . .

With that attitude, you will get there for sure!
    And 50 pounds is nothing to scoff at ;)
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    mrsmay1986 wrote: »
    For me, so many things have changed! :) I am down 40 pounds, with 76 more pounds to lose....Here are some of the things I've noticed:

I don't get out of breath running up the three flights of stairs to my condo anymore.
    I feel more confident when having sex with my husband (sorry if that's TMI!) ;)
    I feel pretty again.
    I see my curves coming back, instead of feeling like a round blob, I have a shape now!
    Foods I used to love don't taste that great anymore: Pop, chips, anything sweet
    I get moody, REALLY moody when I don't work out - even sad!
    People are nicer to me, it is sad but it's true.
    My jeans aren't cutting into my stomach.
    I can cross one leg over the other and feel comfortable!
    Shirts that were tight are now loose and comfortable!
    I can sit, lean forward, and tie my shoes - without feeling like I can't breathe!
    I've made new friends, the girls I work out with at Zumba :)
    I feel less jealous of other women. This is HUGE for me!
    I enjoy eating healthy.
    I enjoy exercising.
    I enjoy MOVING!
    I want to go out more with my friends to clubs and bars. I don't want to sit home alone.
    I'm not constantly scared of what people think of me.
    I FEEL better, not just about myself on the outside, but on the inside too.
    My husband can pick me up...wow...what a feeling!
    I feel strong.
    I feel more CONFIDENT.
    I smile more.
    I feel light on my feet!
    I don't have to swing the car door completely open to get out!

I could go on and on and on, about how this journey is changing my life. Bottom line is...

LIFE IS BETTER!!!!!!! :) Good luck to you all on your journey!

LOVE this :)
  • Myztikal_
    Myztikal_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    rajaa83 wrote: »
    Myztikal_ wrote: »
    At 1200 calories, your body is being deprived of the resources to fuel everyday activities. 1200 is not enough for your days work. It adapted by slowing down your metabolism and conserving what energy it can making you sluggish. This is what people dub "starvation mode".

Now you'be moved to 2400 calories. This is where the good part starts.

Your body is still in starvation mode. The body still thinks you're going to deprive it. It will continue to store the extra calories it can. After a couple of weeks, your body will begin to realise that it has enough energy for day to day and then some. Your have more energy, your metabolism increases all because your body knows it knows it can drop a bit more hard work into those bodily processes. This is when the weight loss begins with a consistant calorie deficit.

That makes so much sens !

Apologies. The science does not back up this theory.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    That very quickly the people around you would stop saying "wow, go you!" to "but you're happy now... right?" and "You don't want to get too skinny!" or "time to stop now!"
  • petmelwilson
    petmelwilson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am buying smaller size clothes at the thrift store because I know in a month I will be down another size and I don't want to spend to much money on something I'll be wearing only a month!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!