What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Here's something I noticed today. I usually work out at around 5:00 pm . But since today was Sunday I got up early and went for a run and I learnt 2 new things.
    1. Early morning run meant I ran faster and easier.
    2. 2. Ii was less hungrier and had lesser cravings throughout the day!!
    3. The second point surprised me the most!
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    I read people say that weight loss is not linear, especially for women. It's true! The scale doesn't move for me for three weeks, sometimes it increases too. Then one week before my TOM, bam! I am down by 3-4 kgs! It lasts about a week and then steadily increases again. But every time I lose, I reach a new low.
    Yes this!! My pattern isn't quite as exact but I do notice that I am prone to stalls and whooshes. It can be frustrating to see the scale stay the same day after day or even increase but if you keep your head in the right place that drop is so worth it!

Weight loss is definitely NOT linear.

I will go up about 2 pounds, then lose those 2 pounds and STAY at that weight for 3-5 days and then BOOM! Another 2 pounds gone.
    Then the cycle repeats itself. It's frustrating but it's worth it!
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That wearing jeans that fit like they are supposed to, has me checking the fly because I keep thinking it feels too loose, so it must be open.

OMG, this has been happening to me the last week or so. I keep feeling like the space between my underwear and the jeans is a breeze, lol.
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    Here's something I noticed today. I usually work out at around 5:00 pm . But since today was Sunday I got up early and went for a run and I learnt 2 new things.
    1. Early morning run meant I ran faster and easier.
    2. 2. Ii was less hungrier and had lesser cravings throughout the day!!
    3. The second point surprised me the most!

For sure! I always eat less on workout days (I go mid morning)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    kuwick1230 wrote: »
    That moment when you pull out your drivers license and realize that for the first time in years you actually weigh less than what's printed on the card!!

And then, when you renew and they ask..same weight?? You say...wait! It's lower! This happened a few years ago and the lady at the DMV was so happy for me. I needed a new picture as well. Sadly, I'm up about 15 pounds from my goal. But working on it!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Shaving my legs this morning, my razor kept hitting muscles and sliding sideways. I am seriously going to cut myself if I don't keep a better grip on the handle. ( muscles, go figure! :smiley: )

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    Shaving my legs this morning, my razor kept hitting muscles and sliding sideways. I am seriously going to cut myself if I don't keep a better grip on the handle. ( muscles, go figure! :smiley: )

*veet. Trust me. It's like nair but without the "Omg there used to be skin on my legs and it's all burned off now" effect :) (sensitive skin safe)
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »

*veet. Trust me. It's like nair but without the "Omg there used to be skin on my legs and it's all burned off now" effect :) (sensitive skin safe)

Hmmm. I'll have to look for that.

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »

Hmmm. I'll have to look for that.

I was using veet before weight loss just for the sheer convenience. Slather it on, do your make up, rinse off, done: the hair falls out on it's own. I could never use Nair though. I have a very very delicate epidermis;)
  • robin79
    robin79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 75 lbs. my favorite thing ever is when I bump into someone from high school or just someone that I haven't seen in a while. They look at me with recognition...but also confusion. I know who they are and I know they'll remember me...but that awkward moment! It makes me smile.
  • funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    rosy2car wrote: »
    Having someone check you out, and in disbelief you look around to see if there is anyone else next to you; then you realize they're staring at you.

This!! When I've lost weight before (alas starting over again), I remember asking a good male friend, why guys were staring at me.

I mean, were they trying to do some sort of Jedhi mind trick to get me to walk over and ask them out?
  • countrcowgirl
    countrcowgirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am down 30lbs now and hate sitting on the couch now... before I could sit there all day and watch TV. My body gets mad if I am sedentary for too long. My husband also touched my arm the other day and was taken aback... muscle wow.. you can really feel your muscles he said... love seeing shape in my arms and seeing my collarbone again!
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    robin79 wrote: »
    I've lost about 75 lbs. my favorite thing ever is when I bump into someone from high school or just someone that I haven't seen in a while. They look at me with recognition...but also confusion. I know who they are and I know they'll remember me...but that awkward moment! It makes me smile.

Lol I had this the other day with a woman I used to work out with at Curves. It was great first time it has happened to me.
  • jsafeacct
    jsafeacct Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1) How much more fun youll have playing with your kids rather than just watching them play.
    2) Going to the gym eventually stops being a chore and starts getting fun as you make gains in muscle and losses in weight.
  • athodges777
    athodges777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love this discussion! I have only started a month ago and have lost 8 lbs, and this has helped keep me motivated. I can't wait to experience some of these things!
  • smkuhn1419
    smkuhn1419 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    whatang wrote: »
    AngeBee18 wrote: »
    So, over the last couple of weeks, when I've been out running I have had random cars toot at me and people wave. I'm 99% sure they're not people I know, but I'm not very good at recognising people in a flash as they drive past!

My first thought is always "am I having some kind of clothing malfunction?" But nope, not so far *phew*. Previously it was always people shouting insults at the fat woman wobbling down the street. 25kg later and I still feel like that person and can't imagine anyone would want to pay me a 'compliment' while I'm out running, as I still have a way to go before I hit my healthy weight range (~10kgs).

So I guess my 'thing they never tell you about losing weight' is that you'll be perpetually confused by people's reactions as your body changes!
    Since I've started running myself, I've found that whenever I see someone out running while I'm driving I want to toot and shout some encouragement. Especially if, like me, they look like they're kinda new to it and are trying to lose some weight. I want to tell them that I get it, they're awesome, and they should stick with it, I'm right there with them.

I don't though, because that would be weird.

Hahaha I thought I was the only one who wanted to do that. I never did because like you said I thought that'd be too weird. :sweat_smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!