What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• SamiHearken
    SamiHearken Posts: 178 Member
    palwithme wrote: »
    + You realize you don't need to go into the handicap stall in the bathroom any more to feel like you have enough room. Strange things like that.
    This is what I cannot wait for. My wife's best friend has a toilet tucked into a tiny nook and I refuse to poo while there cause there was no room for me to move to be able to wipe!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    bump
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    The happy but annoying "can't keep my pants from falling down" problem! lol!
  • Myztikal_
    Myztikal_ Posts: 32 Member
    Virkati wrote: »
    Myztikal_ wrote: »
    Last night my trainer made me get on the scale so he could see how much I weighed. I didn't want to, because I went from eating 1,200 calories to 2,400 calories and I KNEW the weight gain would freak me out. I've been feeling amazing, killing it in the gym, ect. That was good enough for me, but he wanted to put a number on it. He said I'll regret it in a few weeks if I don't. So I got on, and I was ten pounds heavier then I was about three weeks before. I FREAKED out. He reassured me that this is normal for the body to react this way, if I keep doing what I'm doing, my body composition will be so much better. All muscle, no fat. So I killed the workout he gave me, and I went home. I wanted to stop by the grocery store and get ice cream, and just eat a whole tub of it because I was gaining weight...WHY SHOULDN"T I?!?

I then realized that's how I got big in the first place. Eating away my feelings/bad days. So I went home, ate my post workout meal, and felt great curling up for bed. This morning when I woke up, I put on my pair of jeans that were too small on me last Friday, which now fit perfectly. I wore them to work today! So my body is doing the right thing, the scale is not. My NSV is realizing that, and avoiding my ice cream binge. Yay!

YES! The same thing happend to me.... in 1 month, i've gained 10 lbs. Then again, i FEEL SO MUCH MORE ENERGETIC NOW! I am able to EAT in moderation, have an ice cream on some days and not be depriving myself of it! Did your trainer explain WHY the weight gain after 3 weeks of being in a deficit?

At 1200 calories, your body is being deprived of the resources to fuel everyday activities. 1200 is not enough for your days work. It adapted by slowing down your metabolism and conserving what energy it can making you sluggish. This is what people dub "starvation mode".

Now you'be moved to 2400 calories. This is where the good part starts.

Your body is still in starvation mode. The body still thinks you're going to deprive it. It will continue to store the extra calories it can. After a couple of weeks, your body will begin to realise that it has enough energy for day to day and then some. Your have more energy, your metabolism increases all because your body knows it knows it can drop a bit more hard work into those bodily processes. This is when the weight loss begins with a consistant calorie deficit.

I know you're trying to be helpful and the other things you said certainly have merit. But I beg of you, please please don't perpetuate the myth of starvation mode. It isn't a thing. It isn't real.

Apologies.

The term i should be using is metabolic adaptation.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Get over the word choice if just one person gets "starvation mode" and it saves them from doing it, so what????
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    I noticed yesterday how easy it was to stand up and walk. Just effortless. Before it just seemed a bother. It didn't hurt or anything but it took effort.
  • iloveclones67
    iloveclones67 Posts: 13 Member
    GabinkaP wrote: »
    I noticed yesterday how easy it was to stand up and walk. Just effortless. Before it just seemed a bother. It didn't hurt or anything but it took effort.

My wife comments all the time that I don't make sounds when I get up now. Also, she says my walk is completely different now ( I'm trying to emulate Juan Epstein from Welcome Back Kotter. ...)
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member

Being 100+ lbs over weight it is not painfree or effortless, but since losing 45lbs I've noticed that its a hell of a lot easier then it was. And it's getting better every day.

My wife comments all the time that I don't make sounds when I get up now. Also, she says my walk is completely different now ( I'm trying to emulate Juan Epstein from Welcome Back Kotter. ...)

I've had a co-worker point out that my walk is different now too. She said I don't wobble as much :smile: I knew exactly what she meant.
  • ats4908
    ats4908 Posts: 25 Member
    This is a very new one for me...I'm just about at 40 lbs. lost, which is 5 away from my UGW and the lower end of what I want to maintain at.
    I've lost most of my weight while away at school (started at the end of July 2014), so now people are just starting to really notice and comment. I never ever thought I'd feel embarrassed to disclose how much I've lost when they ask. In reality, though, having to lose 40 pounds at age 19/20 (and still being okay losing 5 more) is hard for me to accept...like, how did I let things get so out of control in 20 years?

I am 45 with an 11 and14 year old who have never seen me at a healthy weight. You figured it out early. Good for you. Be proud not ashamed
  • kellymoffat
    kellymoffat Posts: 17 Member
    fatfish59 wrote: »
    Only been going 5 weeks but already lost 22 lbs (10Kg).

I picked up a 10Kg weight yesterday just to see for myself how much I had lost. Boy did that feel good!

That's awesome and super inspiring! Just getting back into working out and eating healthier which is not going as easily as I thought. What a great idea for "feeling" the difference!

• rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    I lost my weight from 2012-2013, and have been keeping it off since - about two months ago.. I ran into the guy who lives next door to us, he met us a few times when we first moved in '09 and onwards to '12. He said a few strange things and I just wrote it off as him being forgetful and weird - he ran into my husband and I at the local supermarket (My husband has also lost a significant amount of weight over the same time) and the guy next door introduced himself to my husband saying "I don't know when you guys moved in, I've only spoken to your wife a few times.." I couldn't believe my ears!

So something new, no one told me that people would just never recognise new 'me' based on meeting 'old' me or us as a couple, and that they would then precede to introduce themselves to us and try and make friends with us all over again.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    CJsf1t wrote: »
    I read people say that weight loss is not linear, especially for women. It's true! The scale doesn't move for me for three weeks, sometimes it increases too. Then one week before my TOM, bam! I am down by 3-4 kgs! It lasts about a week and then steadily increases again. But every time I lose, I reach a new low.

This. That's why I only weigh myself once every 4-6 weeks. Even though I know all about weight fluctuations, I'd go crazy if I weighed myself weekly or worse, daily, and saw that nothing changed.
  • rajaa83
    rajaa83 Posts: 11 Member
    Myztikal_ wrote: »
    At 1200 calories, your body is being deprived of the resources to fuel everyday activities. 1200 is not enough for your days work. It adapted by slowing down your metabolism and conserving what energy it can making you sluggish. This is what people dub "starvation mode".

Now you'be moved to 2400 calories. This is where the good part starts.

Your body is still in starvation mode. The body still thinks you're going to deprive it. It will continue to store the extra calories it can. After a couple of weeks, your body will begin to realise that it has enough energy for day to day and then some. Your have more energy, your metabolism increases all because your body knows it knows it can drop a bit more hard work into those bodily processes. This is when the weight loss begins with a consistant calorie deficit.

That makes so much sens !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!