What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• TayFit07
    TayFit07 Posts: 410 Member
    I know that people say dairy is bad for women, when in reality, it helps women lose fat quicker
  • Spin533
    Spin533 Posts: 44 Member
    Friends are negative sometimes when you turn down something.For instance, my friend asked if I wanted some chocolate, I said no thanks.Her reply: What, you wanna be a stick?
    I have a stone to lose....

I hate that when I look at old photos that I allowed myself to put on that weight and be so unhealthy.:/
    I avoided looking at photos around then as I didn't want to see myself like that.I have photos on cds for about a year not developed!

On a positive:)
    Shoe size gone down again.
    Back interested in clothes and how I look.
    Always notice guys and gals treat you different when you are smaller in size.
    I enjoy running now.
    I have become on those those women that go to do their shopping in work out gear:))

• Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    ADD me
  • zoeapohl
    zoeapohl Posts: 3 Member
    How much it annoys me when someone says, "oh, you don't have to watch what you eat!" or, "oh, you don't have to work out!"

I feel like they're disrespecting the discipline and hard work it takes to be healthy ...

Yesss!!! I find it so hard to explain this to other people who haven't gone through this all! I also hate when people say "you weren't that big before". Honey, yes I was and we all know it! Don't lie to my face.
  • zoeapohl
    zoeapohl Posts: 3 Member
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    How the effort and mindset of the act of losing weight becomes a blueprint for other things in life you want to achieve.

The application itself is what's life changing, more so than the actual loss.

I love this so much, it's so true!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Seemingly the most popular entry: Not being the warmest one in the room anymore. My poor, poor wife, who used to use me as a warming brick at night. Winter is not going to be kind to either of us…

So much of your post is me exactly...but this especially!

My poor husband has been keeping himself warm by cuddling up to me for 31 years and now I'm like a popcicle!

I had to buy some warm pajamas for the first time in my life and I need to get more soon!

• Deshamarieclark
    Deshamarieclark Posts: 3 Member
    - That eating healthy, veggies & low fat, lean meats) can mean eating a lot of food - some days I am just tired of eating, and still don't reach my calorie goal.
    - Those who have seen me go up and down over the years are not saying anything about my weight loss (and they never say anything about the gains either)
    - Working out makes you smaller even when the weight loss is not so great.
    - Sometimes your friends need to change to enable your goals (aka no more drinking night out with the girls.)

Beautiful
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    nobody tells you about having a pannus and what the surgery is all about. Nobody tells you about how people instantly become friendlier towards you and actually start "seeing you" and "looking at you" as opposed to completely ignoring you when you're overweight.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Last night my trainer made me get on the scale so he could see how much I weighed. I didn't want to, because I went from eating 1,200 calories to 2,400 calories and I KNEW the weight gain would freak me out. I've been feeling amazing, killing it in the gym, ect. That was good enough for me, but he wanted to put a number on it. He said I'll regret it in a few weeks if I don't. So I got on, and I was ten pounds heavier then I was about three weeks before. I FREAKED out. He reassured me that this is normal for the body to react this way, if I keep doing what I'm doing, my body composition will be so much better. All muscle, no fat. So I killed the workout he gave me, and I went home. I wanted to stop by the grocery store and get ice cream, and just eat a whole tub of it because I was gaining weight...WHY SHOULDN"T I?!?

I then realized that's how I got big in the first place. Eating away my feelings/bad days. So I went home, ate my post workout meal, and felt great curling up for bed. This morning when I woke up, I put on my pair of jeans that were too small on me last Friday, which now fit perfectly. I wore them to work today! So my body is doing the right thing, the scale is not. My NSV is realizing that, and avoiding my ice cream binge. Yay!

YES! The same thing happend to me.... in 1 month, i've gained 10 lbs. Then again, i FEEL SO MUCH MORE ENERGETIC NOW! I am able to EAT in moderation, have an ice cream on some days and not be depriving myself of it! Did your trainer explain WHY the weight gain after 3 weeks of being in a deficit?
  • littlerain007
    littlerain007 Posts: 1 Member
    Beanogirl wrote: »
    You will lose some friends who see you as a threat! Just let them go.....
    This is so very true...... I wasn't complimented by theses friends but I was noticing that they started to be cold towards me and I wasn't invited to hang out with them anymore and when I mentioned that to them they try to make me feel likes it was all in my head and that was nuts... later they became hostile towards me so I stopped trying to hang with them...

• lowcarber87
    lowcarber87 Posts: 31 Member
    - It takes a very long time for your brain to realise what size you actually are now and alot of tight spots are not so tight anymore.

- Some people will say you have lost enough weight, dont become a stick, your face wont look nice if its skeletal etc even if you are still in the overweight BMI category and clearly not at target weight.

-Shopping is harder because you have too many options.

- You can be the centre of attention at many group gatherings when people are shocked at your weight loss. Just smile and say thank you.

- Some friends do not take no for an answer when you decline unhealthy foods or eat a salad at dinner. They go on and on and on and on that its only one time and somewhat act offended.

- Many people, once they see you, have a natural reaction to say 'oh im so fat, i need to lose weight too, I cant beleive how big I have gotten". When in reality they are still smaller than yourself and probably a bit intimidated.

- You get a regular period within a few months of healthy eating.

- Plane seats aren't as small as you thought they were.

- You can wear super high heels now without them hurting after half an hour.
  • bacagain12
    bacagain12 Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks everyone for the motivating posts! I have experienced many of these in the past and these are a great reminder for the difficult days ahead!

Best comment from last loss.... holding a can of veggies up to read ingredients and son commenting, "wow, the Mom has muscles"!

Can't wait to get them back!
  • Myztikal_
    Myztikal_ Posts: 32 Member
    Last night my trainer made me get on the scale so he could see how much I weighed. I didn't want to, because I went from eating 1,200 calories to 2,400 calories and I KNEW the weight gain would freak me out. I've been feeling amazing, killing it in the gym, ect. That was good enough for me, but he wanted to put a number on it. He said I'll regret it in a few weeks if I don't. So I got on, and I was ten pounds heavier then I was about three weeks before. I FREAKED out. He reassured me that this is normal for the body to react this way, if I keep doing what I'm doing, my body composition will be so much better. All muscle, no fat. So I killed the workout he gave me, and I went home. I wanted to stop by the grocery store and get ice cream, and just eat a whole tub of it because I was gaining weight...WHY SHOULDN"T I?!?

I then realized that's how I got big in the first place. Eating away my feelings/bad days. So I went home, ate my post workout meal, and felt great curling up for bed. This morning when I woke up, I put on my pair of jeans that were too small on me last Friday, which now fit perfectly. I wore them to work today! So my body is doing the right thing, the scale is not. My NSV is realizing that, and avoiding my ice cream binge. Yay!

YES! The same thing happend to me.... in 1 month, i've gained 10 lbs. Then again, i FEEL SO MUCH MORE ENERGETIC NOW! I am able to EAT in moderation, have an ice cream on some days and not be depriving myself of it! Did your trainer explain WHY the weight gain after 3 weeks of being in a deficit?

At 1200 calories, your body is being deprived of the resources to fuel everyday activities. 1200 is not enough for your days work. It adapted by slowing down your metabolism and conserving what energy it can making you sluggish. This is what people dub "starvation mode".

Now you'be moved to 2400 calories. This is where the good part starts.

Your body is still in starvation mode. The body still thinks you're going to deprive it. It will continue to store the extra calories it can. After a couple of weeks, your body will begin to realise that it has enough energy for day to day and then some. Your have more energy, your metabolism increases all because your body knows it knows it can drop a bit more hard work into those bodily processes. This is when the weight loss begins with a consistant calorie deficit.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!