WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well I finally walked around our own walking tracks without Mildred beagle. It was hard to get started So quiet and peaceful. Mildred used to run ahead barking for me to hurry up. Time has to heal as i love these walking track. 157 cals done
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wish I had read and typed faster, I would have gotten the prize. Well, just poo. I immediately thought it was an ornate pen. Took an over the counter sleep aide and went to bed a little earlier and woke up this morning feeling fantastic. I really do hate those days of MS fatigue. It's not abnormal at all to have mental fatigue to some degree but I hate the physical part. I even solved most of the puzzles on Wheel of fortune before my husband did. I think I have finally narrowed down what I am going to buy my grand kids to help decorate their new bedrooms. Now I just have to order them. I think I can get them all on Amazon and one the ways my son in law makes money is that if I order anything with his particular link to his home business, he gets a percentage. I don't know what it's called but it has to do with small businesses and how Amazon helps them. Ellie wants Narnia, and I have a picture of Aslan and a nice saying from him and then the classic lamp post from the movie with butterflies flying around it. These are both the vinyl stick ons that do not damage the paint but they are a one time use. Trinity wants anything music. So I found some music staff and notes and some sayings about what music is to the soul. I am going to try to find some Broadway posters but I know that will be hard. She has been in 2 musicals in her young life and if I can't find posters, I can print of the fronts of the musical flyer and decopagge (spelling) on a piece of wood and stain them with tea. I am excited for them to finally get their own room. Hubby does not like it that they are leaving a 2 1/2 bathroom home for a 1 bedroom home but it is their choice and it has 4 bedrooms so Dad can have his own office and it is away from the kids rooms and the living room so he can do his live videos without having to put the live recording light on. Plus it is a much larger room. Plus fenced in back yard for the dog, an area for them to have a vegetable garden.

I am going to try to post a link to a video my son in law did on self publishing vs using a publisher. I have watched it once but it was a good while ago and I don't remember if it is a tutorial or a pep talk. And yes, this guy is my son in law. He just started turning grey when he was quite young and his hair is quite thin. I don't remember if it is cut in this one or not. It may be when he kept in a pony tail. Well I guess it didn't work. But the link he sent me I don't think was the one I was thinking about. He has self published a lot of books.

Sharon, I am so, so sorry about this decision you are going through right now. Do a lot of soul searching, if so inclined some time on your knees asking God for wisdom, or just listen to your inner self as to what to do.

Yanni, I am just like you. Always thinking of all the worst case scenarios. When my sister was pregnant with her first and I was in nursing school I called her one evening and got no answer. It didn't help that I was in nursing school. i envisioned this woman at the bottom of her stairs, fallen and going into labor. I called all 3 hospitals and she was no where. When I finally got her, her husband had taken her out to supper. How dare her go out and not call me. I guess what I am saying is that there isn't a whole lot to think about until you have more information. AS the others have said, take a deep breath and we will hold youe hand

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Actually I haven't gone to bed yet! I am excited because we have our first showing of our house Tomorrow! I hope we get an offer. We are also going to our DGS'S basketball tournament and spending the weekend at a hotel! The only room they had left was a king hot tub suite and in Crookston mn not that spendy. I got the epsom salt and am ready to relax in comfort! If you don't hear from me for a while you will know where to find me :)

Allison - sorry to hear about your DB (((hugs))) Let us know how he is doing.

Lesley - Walking your own trails will be a big step, but full of happy memories I'm sure. We are all here for you!

Barbie - I'm glad you feel well enough to laugh and dance! I love how active you are and how you get out and enjoy your life. Isn't it nice to be able to curl up and take a nap after such a great day!

Pip - I love the relationship between you and your DH, it sounds like you really enjoy each other. I wish I could get out and go for a bike ride like you can! We should all get together and do that sometime!

Meg - I hope you enjoy watching the basketball game. I will be doing that this weekend but with much smaller players!DGS'S got a tournament so will be spending the weekend at a hotel! I hope that Benny gets better it's a lot of work for you. Both of my kids animals cat and dog and cat have had similar issues, beginning to wonder if it is in the food? They did have that issue with treats from China.

Yanniejannie - don't apologize for venting you can do it anytime you need to! We are praying for you and are all here for you. I love going to horse shows. I watch my DD when I can. She does team penning and other racy types of things. She used to show, English and western pleasure. Enjoy yourself.

Sylvia - I'm wondering how you are feeling now? You sound like you are doing much better. You are waaaaay too young for geriatrics :) Great joke!

Maggiebrost - good for you making it a week! Pretty soon it will be 10,then 20...time flies on here. I'm glad you joined us.

Beth - you better hide the baklava my DH can smell that miles away! What an awesome desert to make for your church auction. That will bring a pretty penny!

Sassy - you are very lucky to have a friend like that she sounds very compassionate and yet quirky and fun, kinda like you!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    I didn't sleep well gee I wonder why..
    I would love to give my DB a good swift kick in the tookus..
    when I got out of work I went over to the hospital, he was in alot of pain had tremors etc..
    they were moving him to ICU as they were worried about detox and his BP was 212/113 last time I was there, they pumped him full of adivan and Dilauded(sp) I dont think he will be as bad as a year ago, and we are hoping that he will choose to go for treatment after this is over my DSIL said she will hire someone to look after mom until he is out if he goes to Rehab.. I dont need this stress on top of everything else.. but will take things one day at a time..
    thank you for all your compliments ,it truly warms my heart.. though we are scattered all over this world I still feel that I have so many wonderful friends that I can reach out to.
    Love you all dearly <3
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Lesson of the day: Read all posts at least once a day or you will get SO FAR BEHIND! You are all amazing! As I was reading I was encouraged to see that I am not the only one who tries to stay at 1200 calories. Sometimes I am criticized about this. I do allow myself some leeway on this depending on how hard/how much I work out during the day.

I've been trying to learn more about all of you through your posts and love this group. It's so much more than food, it's about living life!

A little bit about me! Married, kids and grandkids, work full time (office), workout in the morning, and love riding my bike (road and commute to work when it gets nice). I've been using MFP for years and of course due to my own inconsistency, have been up and down! This year is the first time I've used the community section and love hearing all of your stories!

Looking forward to the weekend and am so excited that spring is here!

Happy Day,
    Suzy in Wisconsin
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Sylvia: dogs and seeing something diabolical: reminds me of some horses, who see cows as Spawn of Satan. :o

Beth: congrats on your iphone. You’ll figure it out.

Kim: it was an utter failure. She reared up every time I came near her with the syringe, even with the twitch on. I ended up having to call the other woman who helps take care of her (she’s a vet) and we did it together. She’s not going to be available every time, though, so I don’t know. I was very frustrated and dejected about the whole thing. :'(

Alison: hope you can love yourself as much as we do.

Had a positive thing yesterday evening. After the horse failure I went to fill up the car (pulling a trailer slurps gas, I tell you). While I was paying, the guy behind the counter looked outside and asked me if I’d be willing to help with something, because he was not permitted to leave the counter and go outside. A handicapped man (cute guy, about 40) was in his car and wanted a pack of cigarettes. I’m not a proponent of cigarettes, but it’s not my choice to make for someone else, so I went outside to the car. He turned out not to have any cash, but he gave me his debit card and code. I went back in, paid for the cigarettes with his card and code, and brought them outside.

Somehow it just gave me a good feeling that I at least got one thing right, and that the guy trusted me with his code. He was also a calm, positive guy, and it's good to encounter people like that.

Still very tired physically from this past week, and still having back, hip, and knee pain. Hope I will feel better today. I did sleep longer, luckily.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Hi all! <3

Guess what! My London friend cancelled my visit to her because she has "put her back out". Hmmmmm. ;) This kind of thing (cancelling) happens a lot with her and I try to be understanding, but I think there must be some other agenda going on. If I had a bad back I would be delighted to see a friend. I could have brought food up, made lunch, done some errands for her. But no, quite often when we arrange to meet, she is too tired, or has taken on too much . . . . etc . . . . . etc. I feel bad about it, but don't really know how to deal with it. She has cancer, is not sticking to her meds, is overweight, very unfit etc. But, she has been a successful children's writer, looks good and has a lot of friends, family etc. I don't quite get it. I found my primary cancer lump almost the same day as she found her secondary. So far I am ok, she is slowly finding it more and more difficult. I am very fond of her and feel quite rejected.
    Oh well, it does mean I have more time to get ready this morning. I will have to pay for an expensive taxi ride to the station as DH has gone off to football.

Kim - for a picture book I like WELL I NEVER. Any of them are ok, but THE TROUBLE WITH HERBERT did well in the States. Thanks for looking. :flowerforyou: I had 12 books published for children in total. It seems a long time ago now, but some still bring me in the occasional royalties. :D

When I get to my son's they will be saying goodbye to some visiting schoolfriends with their children. DH is coming a bit later with my overnight bag with the presents for the grandchildren from Sri Lanka. Also DDIL 'S birthday present. It's a tankini for her holiday and I want her to try it on to check the size. I can exchange it by post if it's too small. They are out this evening at a party and tomorrow we are babysitting while they buy stuff for their new kitchen extension. What an upheaval that will be! ! ! ! They are going on holiday for the worst bit while exterior walls are being knocked down, but still difficult with two small children. DDIL says she just concentrates on the finished product. When we were younger and were doing up our house we had no money and were doing it all ourselves. It took years! I had a deep depression and small babies and a stillbirth. At least for them the pain will be over quickly!

Must ring the taxi firm. Love to all. <3

Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love seeing others happy and succeeding.

Good Morning, My friends,

Just a quick check in before I have to be at the morning session. I think I have read all the posts and it's impossible to respond because no way to make responses as I read on this tablet. Just know I'm thinking of you and sending encouragement and hugs.

Welcome to all the newbies. You will find this a very supportive and informative group of ladies. We hope you come often.

I ended up way over calories yesterday even after making choices to avoid certain opportunities for bad foods. Did have a rib eye stake that was absolutely delicious and I savored every bite. Love to all. Have to hit the shower and get dressed.

Words I live by: Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    Opportunity, Every day offers the opportunity for health and happiness, if we look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Goodmorning everyone. Looks like I get the day to myself...everyone is going ice fishing. Wow - whatever will I do?
    -
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Lillian, I vote for a bubble bath, massage and curling...not necessarily in that order ;)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Snowin to beat the band,thought it was supposed to stop last night..grrrrr roads are bad but patients still showing up..home after the n over to see Dfil and then brother
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Today is DH and my 45th wedding anniversary, and I’m happy with the choice I made to marry him all those years ago. :heart: :heart: :heart:

We’re home at last! I slept through the night like a rock last night. Yay! The kids had a nasty virus when we arrived in CO and I caught it. DD told us they were all over it, which is why we went to her house. She was evidently wrong. The trip home was NOT pleasant. I lost a couple of pounds, and that loss is all because of an unpleasant sojourn in the bathroom at a hotel in ID. I expect to regain the weight nearly as fast as it departed.

I have been out of the loop a couple of days. Keeping you in my prayers, Jannie.

Katla, happy to be home in Beautiful and rainy NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    Cynthia – so glad you had the great interaction with the gentleman at the gas station! So I know so little about horses, but I do have a lot of experience with an independent thinking dog, and I have found that when need be tying Levi, by his harness in the front, and then with a wide soft fabric around his back end, I ONLY do it when I am right there – (he hates to be groomed) and I don’t leave him tied for anything, but he can’t nip, run or other wise act like a spaz… so the question is, is there a way to “contain” the horse for the few minutes it will take to take care of his medical needs?

Heather – I am so sorry about your situation with your friend; it is hard when folks send mixed messages --- especially when they are sick. I wonder if she is a bit “threatened” by you – (that may not be the best word) but what I mean is you have had the mental and physical strength to do the hard work to get healthy, and help your body stay healthy and she has not done that from your description. Others have mentioned that some overweight friends and not as close anymore after they have lost weight and I wonder if that is what is going on here.

Katla – sorry you caught the bug, but I am sure being home will be a great way to get back to feeling yourself.

March goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Kim: the short answer is: nope. Well, not for her, anyway. If she panics when she's tied she will rear up, break everything and injure herself. The only solution (short of sedating her, which is overkill for a two-minute treatment) is using the twitch, which means one person holding the twitch and one person doing the rinsing. Sigh. I sure wish I could do it alone, but apparently that's not to be.

Cynthia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Katla - Happy Anniversary! Have a fun day celebrating!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sat!!
    Katla-Happy anniversary
    hugs jane
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    <3 Congratulations Katla & Hubby! Here's to another 16,425 days spent together! <3

u2e97iedgg82.jpg

Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
  • pam_felt
    pam_felt Posts: 6
    Options
    Well Ladies, it's been 2 weeks since I checked in last. WOW have i missed a lot! Congratulations and hugs where needed.

I went to a new doctor 2 weeks ago and boy do I feel better already! She is a DO and believes in all natural and holistic medicine. To start out, she had me change my diet to see if some of my issues are internal or external (sinus, joint pain and sleep issues). She had me stop eating wheat, corn, potatoes, rice and sugar. Not easy to do but I've succeeded mostly. I have been sleeping better and the joint pain is almost totally gone. My sinus issues are greatly diminished but I still have some congestion but then, spring is springing and I am allergic to mold and pollen. But the best part is I have LOST a pant size and 6 pounds! I am not going to go looking for them either. Most of the loss has been in my belly. Now if I can get rid of the chicken wings and the thunder thighs I will be ecstatic.

For those of you with conflicts at work, hang in there, it has to get better. I've been telling myself that for 4 months. I have an employee that I am about 1 week from firing. I have had to follow city policy and dot all by t's and cross all my i's but I am almost there. This young woman has the maturity of a 9 year old and thinks she is getting paid for having a good time. The job is not hard but does require an application of skills. My log in for my computer has been 'I am stronger than she is' for awhile now. I am also a stress eater which has made the diet change harder but I have maintained. I am stronger than this situation!

Well, my project for the day is sorting clothes that no longer fit and what can I wear now. And if I don't get started soon, I will not finish today. Also, if I don't get up and let my dogs in, they may tear down the door!

Have a great day, weekend, week and I will hopefully check in next weekend!
    Pam in soggy (finally) Texas!

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    Katla - oh those lovely grandchild bugs! My beautiful DGD has a deep cough at the moment. We usually bring back something, but it's worth it! Get well soon and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, :flowerforyou:

Kim - thamks for the support! That's more or less how I read it, but I don't like to think that. I don't want people to see me that way. Her latest text says she is creeping round gingerly, so I could have gone round to see her. She is inclined to depression and, of course, is only going to get worse as far as the cancer goes. But I would like to be a help, not a "threat". :cry: Too much subtext going on. :sad:

DH's team lost today in an important match. He seems ok though and has just put DGS to bed.
    Tomorrow DS#2 is going with DDIL to test drive a car. More expense! ! ! ! ! I don't know how they can afford all this! (Worry, worry) Oh well, they seem happy, if a bit tired!

Love Heather x x x x