WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Heather: thanks for the tips on drinking rhubarb vodka. Your menus are so unique.

Sassy - thanks for the article on the scale, it was very enlightening. I'm considering framing it. :smile:

Barbie - love the elimination diet quote

Mary- Minnesota: Have a fantabulous holiday!

Diana - The "Rubber Band" phase is so descriptive.. :laugh:

Toni - Sorry about the Y closing. I'm glad that you can think about the opportunities you have now.

Sylvia: So glad that your son officially has the apartment.

Yannie - So glad that the surgery will happen soon and that the doc answered all of your questions.

Carol, I'm so happy that you've seen some success on the scale.

Chris in MA: Congrats on the size 10's! I love Talbot clothes.

Based on suggestions received I've moved my calorie intake up earlier in the day and have reduced carb intake in the evening. Lo and behold... 1.8 lb loss which is exciting. I've also dragged my recumbent bike out of storage, although I have to wait for approval from physio before trying it out.

Thought for the day: Life takes on meaning when you become motivated, set goals and charge after them in an unstoppable manner. - Les Brown

Carey - Edmonton
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !

I have been around, but it took me until today to finish reading all the posts from the weekend (lots of bowling here again, but no great scores to report).

Chris - congrats on the smaller pants. I took my 30% off coupon to Kohls yesterday with the intent of buying work pants 1 size too small to hang near my full-length mirror. Imagine my pleasant surprise when they fit :D Since the smaller size fit, I treated myself to 2 new shirts and a skort (one of the few credit cards DH pays). We deserve to be happy and proud ! ! ! (and I want to look good for Frankie Valle on April 12)

Joyce and Janet - I tease DH that he is "so cheap he squeaks when he walks".

TNToni - I hope you find your open door quickly. Hugs for the job change. Also, for thick hair : I used to be a hairdresser, and I still swear by professional hair care products. There are ways to remove build-up from hair and scalp, which makes the new hairgrowth healthier, and lightens the weight of your hair to make it feel thicker. There are also products with more protein and less moisture, which keeps the hair stronger, feeling and looking thicker. There is also the opportunity for wave or curls, which also makes hair look fuller. When I went on my RA medicine, I lost about 1/3 of my hair, and while it was happening my wish was that it would make it more "under control" , but instead it gave the curls more room to bounce off each other, so now it looks crazier than ever. I have heard that Rogainne works, and I think there is Rogaine for women now, too.

Gail - Hugs for your loss. I hope you can all celebrate life and move through the grieving process in whatever manner you each need.

My new "work-out buddy" rarely gets to have her lunch hour the same time as mine, so we haven't been able to work out together. But I am happy to report that the healthy lifestyles of the rest of us here is rubbing off on her. She set up a MFP account, and was appalled at her breakfast. She now brings oatmeal instead of a big greasy bag from McDonalds. She also spent time on the elliptical all her other lunch breaks. I also see her eating fruit instead of chips and cookies. I keep reminding her to take babysteps so that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. She smiles more now, too. I am so happy for her. DS still gets moving in the morning, so I have been getting in my pre-work workouts, too, which motivates me more for the entire day. I feel so empowered lately, and I would like to thank all of you for support and determination and motivation.

Now, back to work, as this is the end of the month, and I have to make sure all of my billing is ready for the Billing Department first thing in the morning.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee (49 and sunny) B)
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Chris, congrats on your Size 10. What a great feeling that must be. Even when I only weighed 112, I still wore a size 12. Being short and carrying my weight in the torso was the main reason. If I ever get back down to a Size 14, I will be so pleased.

Sylvia, I do think people can change...especially when they have the motivation to do so. I think all of us are fighting our inner core. It is a never ending battle. At least, it is with me. My only child (son) gave us fits (drugs and alcohol and being ADD/HD) but he married a wonderful Christian girl and they have two young children which has made him have to finally grow up. He still fights his demons but he is a good person at core.

Jan, we will all be thinking of you on Friday and wishing you the best.

Toni, sorry about your job at the Y. I hope you will find something that is even better. You have a really good attitude about a new door opening.

Carol ~ GA
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Good day yesterday. My friend was so helpful and kind. She is an excellent sewer and I answered most of her questions "I don't know." I think she has me on the right path so I'm much encouraged and not as afraid to sit down at the sewing machine.

I find myself getting very hungry in the afternoon -around 4 pm. I think I need to plan some healthier snacks for that time. I do better when I plan.

ToniI'm sorry about the place you work & work out closing-2xs the change. :( Hope you find something that puts your skills to good use, pays the bills, and gives you satisfaction.

The snow is receding still not much green here but the sun is peeking through the clouds.

Naiomi2015 from 47F Massachusetts.
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Checking in before April Fools!
    I hope everyone is ready for a new month!
    My son's small hernia op went ok ... When we visited He was busy fending off two exuberant 3 year olds who can't understand why they can't jump on him! Hopefully we can find something for them to do over the Easter break.
    Nothing else done today...a bit of shopping..I found some bargain art pencils and sketch pads ready for tomorrow's art group.
    So ... It's cheerio from me for March....let us know if you have any good jokes for tomorrow!
    BFN
    Jackie W
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    March Goals Report:

1. Log every bite and swallow: Done. I’ve been as accurate as I am able without actually weighing my portions. If my weight remains stable I likely won’t weigh or measure every bite and swallow, but I will continue to report them.

2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Done, and on extra days except when I was sick. The gym membership has been a big help, but I walked the dog outdoors and on the hotel treadmill when we travelled. I did not exercise while sick. :noway:

3. Have fun every day: I met this goal most of the time, except when sick. That was one nasty illness. The sick day driving across WY, UT and part of ID was spectacularly awful. :sick:

4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! As usual, I could do better with this goal.

5. Eliminate alcohol. I did have a couple of celebratory drinks this month, but only a couple and they weren't a problem.

6. Monitor sleep. I kept a formal sleep journal for part of the month, but not the whole month. I am still monitoring sleep and will return to daily recording if I am getting overtired.

Barbie will post a link to the new thread towards the end of her day. This thread will close and you can find us again by following her link to the new one.

Have a great day!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

30881843.png
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have lost 23 1/2 lbs since Jan lst but I have a long way to go. I hope you can include me as a member in this new link you are talking about. Love to hear all your success stories.
  • roserex
    roserex Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I get to walk daily along the Mississippi River and the view is inspiring. I dream of the size 12-14 I used to wear. I know eventually, I will get there this time.

Sorry, I forgot to say this is Ethel in Quad Cities, Iowa.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    roserex wrote: »
    I have lost 23 1/2 lbs since Jan lst but I have a long way to go. I hope you can include me as a member in this new link you are talking about. Love to hear all your success stories.

lololol - don't take this wrong but at a quick glance I thought your profile name was ro-sex olololol.... welcome ROSEREX
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    God evening ladies -

Mary - that sounds like quite a trip. Are you originally from Missouri? Have fun. I hope your house sells while you are gone.

Carol - although I'm a retired teacher, I can totally overlook run ons and other grammar goofs when they come from a friend. Find writing in fragments refreshing after having to be so proper! The message is the main thing.

Heather - the birthday celebration sounds like fun. The lady will be so pleased you all are doing this for her.

Some of you asked why my Y is closing. It is small and we have an old, costly facility. Also most of our members are there with a reduced rate. That means we don't bring in the same money others do. In fact our Middle Tennessee organization is struggling in general. Interestingly, the Y in the city my husband works in 75 miles away is also closing. Actually i live within walking distance to a Y in a large church facility.Or house is built on property the church used to own. It is a small gym with a good track. I plan to go there to walk and do Yoga Stretch. But I need a pool. I will get something worked out because I am determined to make it to the water 5-6 times a week. The thing I am most sad about are all the wonderful members I won't be seeing anymore. Hopefully I can carpool with my close water friends. Thanks for all your supportive words.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Pip!!

Heather.... To correct my earlier statement ... my immediate family supports my weight loss struggles... best they can. My "friends" .... not so much. But to be fair, I'm not real talkative about it either ... and not really very social right now with family health problems. Thank you for being concerned!

Toni ... sorry about the Y closing ...

Jan ... you will be in my prayers! My father has had similar experience with skin cancer ... tell your family to be prepared ... it really can take many hours as they "slice and biopsy." Don't panic! Thorough is best!

Sylvia ... so glad your son got the larger apartment!

Thank you all for the freezer suggestions ... spent the last few days cooking. Now my son has a little surplus in the freezer as he plans his own dinners. I don't see this "four cooks in the kitchen thing" working out by the way. But they'll figure it out eventually.

So today ... after a very, very long hiatus ... I went back to the gym! And ... I have kept my eating under control for two days. I just decided I had made enough excuses ... time to just do it!

Very envious of you all with warm temperatures ... it snowed again this morning! Argh!

Did not meet my March goals but know I've recommitted myself to this lifestyle change ... so new goals tomorrow.

Beth in WNY

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.09min, 14.7mph 2.9mi = 100c
    jog - 31.18min, 6.5speed for 1mi, 6.7speed for 1mi, 7.0speed for 1.5mi, 8.57ap, 3.5mi = 285c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.17min, 11.7amph, 1.4mi = 71c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.13min, 9amph, 2.7mi = 181c
    Total cal 637
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Guess what! I walked 10,000 steps today - for the first time since my surgery! I'm tickled pink, too! Maybe I can pull out of this after all.

Took the kids to swim lessons, now I'm doing laundry. The little guy told my son that he did the backstroke, and he did it "perfect!" Well, what I saw was him going under repeatedly and the teacher pushing him back up. I thought it was cute that he thought he did so well. Funny little guy.

Here's two jokes for today:

:)

A little girl asked her mother, "Can I go outside and play with the boys?" Her mother replied, "No, you can't play with the boys, they're too rough." The little girl thought about it for a few moments and asked, "If I can find a smooth one, can I play with him?"

:D

A policeman parked his police van in front of the station, while gathering his equipment, his K-9 partner Tops was barking.

He saw a little boy staring in at him, “Is that a dog you got back there?” he asked.

“It sure is,” the policeman replied.

Puzzled, the boy looked at him and towards the back of the van.

Finally he asked; “What did he do?”

:D

See you next month!

Sylvia
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    smiley-sleep012.gif I'm headed for bed early and for some of you it is already April so I have posted the new thread for April. Here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10125162/women-ages-50-for-april-2015#latest
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    roserex wrote: »
    this is Ethel in Quad Cities, Iowa.

Hi Ethel! I've got lots of family in the Quad Cities. Cousin in Davenport and Aunties in Moline. My husband's family is all from there. We now live in Indiana. Welcome!

Diana in NE Indiana
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Happy Tuesday ! ! !
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Have lost box to post replies on April link so thought may be if I tried it here it would magically re-appear on the new link ;_)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
  • Strodtbeckp
    Options
    I used MFP three years ago lost 20 lbs. got RA and gained almost all the weight not feeling good. I have been faithful in logging in for about 40 days,but am not losing. I have increased my activity level by walking and feel better. My goal is to walk 10 K a day and do strength training three days a week. Want to do some stretching to keep flexibility and maybe gain some back.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I used MFP three years ago lost 20 lbs. got RA and gained almost all the weight not feeling good. I have been faithful in logging in for about 40 days,but am not losing. I have increased my activity level by walking and feel better. My goal is to walk 10 K a day and do strength training three days a week. Want to do some stretching to keep flexibility and maybe gain some back.

At a standstill too. I have been logging in too and I am not eating that much. Could use another workout during the week. Good luck to both of us and let's not give up!