No time for exercising

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    FredMikmik wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. I have seen a sport physio who told me to do some strength training at home but not which ones. I do have a quite strong core and lower back but my upper back is causing me a lot of pain. Horse back riding is a sport but it doesn't matter what kind of sport you do you can still get injuries. I do have hyper mobility which is something that hurts me when I ride because if the horse pulls or anything my arms move a bit forward which hurts a lot when you are hyper mobile. When I was younger I was at a regular stable where I did muck out and stuff but at my new stable you're not aloud to. And my name is not Fred it's just that English speakers don't know how to pronounce it or they think it's ugly.

My guess is Frederika ;)

• FredMikmik
    FredMikmik Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have seen a sport physio who told me to do some strength training at home but not which ones. I do have a quite strong core and lower back but my upper back is causing me a lot of pain. Horse back riding is a sport but it doesn't matter what kind of sport you do you can still get injuries. I do have hyper mobility which is something that hurts me when I ride because if the horse pulls or anything my arms move a bit forward which hurts a lot when you are hyper mobile. When I was younger I was at a regular stable where I did muck out and stuff but at my new stable you're not aloud to. And my name is not Fred it's just that English speakers don't know how to pronounce it or they think it's ugly.

My guess is Frederika ;)

Close
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    steff274 wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't get to an All-Europe showjumping competition without a strong core, for crying out loud.

Unless it's some "vanity" competition with ridiculous entry fees (like a Toddlers and Tiaras competition for Euros), you are going to have SERIOUS core strength and a healthy lower back if you can legit compete in equestrian events.

And, seriously, even royalty is expected to "build character" by mucking out stalls.
    I know one girl who showjumps to a high level who actually thought horses shoes already had jumping studs in them!! :p because not only had she never studded up in her life she had never actually tacked up!! :| she had always had the horse just handed to her!!

LOL, crazy. Everyone I've ever known from real "old money" style wealth has had to do serious nasty chores and brutal summer "camps" to "toughen them up." Are these all pampered nouveau riches that get coddled like this? because, dayum. I went to college with some Presidential relatives, etc....there was all manner of "hike the mountain to have empathy with the poors" BS going on. No "take the pretty horsie and ride" BS.

But, even if you aren't doing upkeep work...show jumping takes CORE. I did show jumping at a low level. If you have a weak core, you BY DEFINITION will be a terrible show jumper. How does someone get to an all-Europe competition with a weak core?

By making it up?

Don't have to.
    Dutch riding school education sends out their students to big stables
    To be fair, you dont have to be an excellent rider these days.

I had them at my stable/riding school and some of them were even afraid for a horse. Let alone they could ride a horse pretty decent.

But that must be the fact that i am old school and believe that they have to mug out stables too hehehe

But yes a lot of girls make things up too. And there is a huge group who think that they will make it in the horse world. But reality is that this is only for some really though athletics. Riders who train their horses every day, who bike and run ( cardio) for being fit.

Been there done that. For more than 46 years!
    And teaching and coaching and judging for more than 30 years.

See, I think this is why this bothers me. There is a reason that Equestrian events are part of the Olympic games. Because real, legitimate competitors in this field are ATHLETES. They go to the gym, they lift some hardcore weights to strengthen their quads and core....because equestrian is a SPORT. A challenging, demanding, REAL sport. And any outfit that tells pampered kids that they are "competitive" when they are weak? A con job.

Look, OP. You just started talking about "owning horses." Yeay for your parents having money. Yawn. If you are serious about competitive riding, your coach will have you in the gym working on squats and front squats and deadlifts to get your thighs and back where you need to be to compete on even a basic level. If you seriously are in poor condition? Then you need to fire your coach and move your horses to a REAL stable that will have you shoveling poo for hours every day before they let you enter the tack room. That's what REAL equestrian programmes do.

I don't understand what this has to do with the OP's question.

Ops question is about how she can't work out because she spends HOURS of every day doing what SHOULD BE A WORKOUT.

If you read her posts in this thread, you'd see that she is looking to find a way to do strength exercises that are necessary for managing pain.

I don't think it's at all becoming for a grown woman to be all up in a teenager's face about what a "workout" is supposed to be, or riding cred or - who cares, I mean, it's such a weird thing to be up in arms about. Especially when the kid's dislocated her hip, for crying out loud.

If she has a dislocated hip, the last thing she should be doing is riding horses.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't get to an All-Europe showjumping competition without a strong core, for crying out loud.

Unless it's some "vanity" competition with ridiculous entry fees (like a Toddlers and Tiaras competition for Euros), you are going to have SERIOUS core strength and a healthy lower back if you can legit compete in equestrian events.

And, seriously, even royalty is expected to "build character" by mucking out stalls.
    I know one girl who showjumps to a high level who actually thought horses shoes already had jumping studs in them!! :p because not only had she never studded up in her life she had never actually tacked up!! :| she had always had the horse just handed to her!!

LOL, crazy. Everyone I've ever known from real "old money" style wealth has had to do serious nasty chores and brutal summer "camps" to "toughen them up." Are these all pampered nouveau riches that get coddled like this? because, dayum. I went to college with some Presidential relatives, etc....there was all manner of "hike the mountain to have empathy with the poors" BS going on. No "take the pretty horsie and ride" BS.

But, even if you aren't doing upkeep work...show jumping takes CORE. I did show jumping at a low level. If you have a weak core, you BY DEFINITION will be a terrible show jumper. How does someone get to an all-Europe competition with a weak core?

By making it up?

Don't have to.

I had them at my stable/riding school and some of them were even afraid for a horse. Let alone they could ride a horse pretty decent.

But that must be the fact that i am old school and believe that they have to mug out stables too hehehe

But yes a lot of girls make things up too. And there is a huge group who think that they will make it in the horse world. But reality is that this is only for some really though athletics. Riders who train their horses every day, who bike and run ( cardio) for being fit.

See, I think this is why this bothers me. There is a reason that Equestrian events are part of the Olympic games. Because real, legitimate competitors in this field are ATHLETES. They go to the gym, they lift some hardcore weights to strengthen their quads and core....because equestrian is a SPORT. A challenging, demanding, REAL sport. And any outfit that tells pampered kids that they are "competitive" when they are weak? A con job.

Look, OP. You just started talking about "owning horses." Yeay for your parents having money. Yawn. If you are serious about competitive riding, your coach will have you in the gym working on squats and front squats and deadlifts to get your thighs and back where you need to be to compete on even a basic level. If you seriously are in poor condition? Then you need to fire your coach and move your horses to a REAL stable that will have you shoveling poo for hours every day before they let you enter the tack room. That's what REAL equestrian programmes do.

Ops question is about how she can't work out because she spends HOURS of every day doing what SHOULD BE A WORKOUT.

If you read her posts in this thread, you'd see that she is looking to find a way to do strength exercises that are necessary for managing pain.

I don't think it's at all becoming for a grown woman to be all up in a teenager's face about what a "workout" is supposed to be, or riding cred or - who cares, I mean, it's such a weird thing to be up in arms about. Especially when the kid's dislocated her hip, for crying out loud.

If she has a dislocated hip, the last thing she should be doing is riding horses.

When did the dislocated hip come into the equation? Missed that totally
  • FredMikmik
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

I dislocated my hip last summer and that's why I needed to build up muscles so that I could prevent injuries like that to happen again.
  • FredMikmik
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

I got it fixed and was cleared by my doctor a while ago and I went to a sport physio who told me to do exercises
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I have 2 horses and go to school so I use a lot of time on that. I usually get home at 8 and I don't have time for much else. I really want to build up muscles because I get a lot of injures since I'm weak hehe... The problem is I don't have time and I'm hoping some of you can help me :)

Keep in mind you don't necessarily have to do a full work out all in one chunk. If you can get in a quick brisk walk, a couple times a day...it all counts. A little bit of something is better than a lot of of nothing.
  • elphie754
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

So did I.

By making it up?

Don't have to.

I got it fixed and was cleared by my doctor a while ago and I went to a sport physio who told me to do exercises

The same physio who gave you bad advice on page 1? I would think a dislocated hip would put you out for much longer.

I fractured my ankle at age 14. It healed but I was never able to return to ballet (pointe) because of the stress it would put on my ankle. I would think a hip injury would end the game of horse riding.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I have 2 horses and go to school so I use a lot of time on that. I usually get home at 8 and I don't have time for much else. I really want to build up muscles because I get a lot of injures since I'm weak hehe... The problem is I don't have time and I'm hoping some of you can help me :)

no one has any extra time in their day. everyone has the same finite amount of time given to them, and it's up to us on how we use them.

you say you have to ride your horses and you're in school. well, you have to find places to change time from, because wanting to get stronger is going to require you to do at least 30 minutes of exercising 3 times a week.

maybe start sleeping faster.
  • FredMikmik
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

So did I.

By making it up?

Don't have to.

The same physio who gave you bad advice on page 1? I would think a dislocated hip would put you out for much longer.

I fractured my ankle at age 14. It healed but I was never able to return to ballet (pointe) because of the stress it would put on my ankle. I would think a hip injury would end the game of horse riding.

It still hurts but that's why I need to do exercises it was both my doctor and physio who cleared me. And it did take a couple of months I don't know why I'm allowed to do exercise but maybe I was just luckier than you I'm not a doctor so I can't give you a good answer on that
  • elphie754
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

So did I.

By making it up?

Don't have to.

It still hurts but that's why I need to do exercises it was both my doctor and physio who cleared me. And it did take a couple of months I don't know why I'm allowed to do exercise but maybe I was just luckier than you I'm not a doctor so I can't give you a good answer on that

If it still hurts, that is a good indication you should STOP. Otherwise you risk permanent injury. It wasn't about luck. If I wanted to I could have gone back to pointe about a year after. However, I didn't because the muscle memory had diminished and I risked doing permanent damage to my body. It was a hard choice, but worth it.
  • FredMikmik
    Options

By making it up?

Don't have to.

So did I.

By making it up?

Don't have to.

If it still hurts, that is a good indication you should STOP. Otherwise you risk permanent injury. It wasn't about luck. If I wanted to I could have gone back to pointe about a year after. However, I didn't because the muscle memory had diminished and I risked doing permanent damage to my body. It was a hard choice, but worth it.

It's not that I'm in pain but sometimes if I have worked out a lot I get some discomfort I talked to my physio and a doctor who specializes in sport injuries and both of them said I needed to build up muscles.
    I have been checked later on and everything is fine don't worry
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    no one has any extra time in their day. everyone has the same finite amount of time given to them, and it's up to us on how we use them.

QFT!!
  • FredMikmik
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

QFT!!

Could you explain to me what QFT means?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

QFT!!

http://bit.ly/uRktzr
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    3NKet3K.jpg
  • elphie754
    Options

QFT!!

For some reason I had though it stood for something else. Mine was- well wouldn't be found in a disney movie- quite ____ true. Lol.
  • FredMikmik
    Options
    3NKet3K.jpg

Yes I know but I do work out for 2-3 hours and I was looking for some fast but effective exercises :)
  • FredMikmik
    Options

QFT!!

How much do you workout a day? :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    OP you've had enough time to keep checking back on this thread, maybe if you stepped away from your electronic devices and used that time wisely you could have had it done already.

We make time to exercise if it's important, I wake up at 3 am so I can get my workouts in before work. So, stop with the excuses and reasons you can't.