always friendzoned - advice?

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I see a lot of women here hating on the word friend zone. The OP said he met girls on a dating site and they put him in the zone. Instead of just being honest and saying ya know I really don't think we are compatible or something of that nature, they just continue to respond and act nice. Lol. Almost every girl has done that in some way or another. And the women know damn well the dude is interested. But it makes them feel good about themselves, so a lot of women keep them around for a confidence booster. Some dudes just can't see past the sweetness and still have hope and would bend over backwards for the girl. If you do get put in the zone and can see the signals. Just keep hanging out with her till you meet some of her cute friends. Then ask them out. :p

I agree with this, nice guys are taken for a ride. lol

Or, "nice guys" should stop thinking they are being taken for a ride, because their feelings aren't reciprocated?

If a man treats me nicely, I am going to be nice right back. I treat others how they treat me. I don't take advantage of people, I don't give "false hope", and I don't lead people on. Now, that's just me, and I can only speak for myself.

The original comment that says "almost every girl has lead someone on" is far fetched and an assumption, not a fact. This "nice guy" complex is what generally harms guys in the long run. In my personal opinion/experience, and based on what I've heard from friends, some girls do not want to deal with a "nice guy", because the niceness may have undertones of expectations that the pair will date. And if a girl does not reciprocate, she's in the wrong because they are a "nice guy".

(Edited the post before it was quoted below to clean it up and reword some stuff. Here's a key point I want to add back in: "If your niceness to me has undertones of expectations that we will date and I do not feel the same, I will cut contact. Period.")
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I agree. If you are being decent because you want the panties to drop, you're gonna have a bad time. They can figure you out pretty fast. It MIGHT work a time or two, but ultimately you'll be found out as a chump. It's got to be genuine.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Read all of the replies, please.

Is this a general plea or is it directed at someone specifically?
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of women here hating on the word friend zone. The OP said he met girls on a dating site and they put him in the zone. Instead of just being honest and saying ya know I really don't think we are compatible or something of that nature, they just continue to respond and act nice. Lol. Almost every girl has done that in some way or another. And the women know damn well the dude is interested. But it makes them feel good about themselves, so a lot of women keep them around for a confidence booster. Some dudes just can't see past the sweetness and still have hope and would bend over backwards for the girl. If you do get put in the zone and can see the signals. Just keep hanging out with her till you meet some of her cute friends. Then ask them out. :p

Or, "nice guys" should stop thinking they are being taken for a ride, because their feelings aren't reciprocated?
    If a man treats me nicely, I am going to be nice right back. I treat others how they treat me. I don't take advantage of people, I don't give "false hope", and I don't lead people on. Now, that's just me, and I can only speak for myself.

The original comment that says "almost every girl has lead someone on" is far fetched and an assumption, not a fact.

This "nice guy" complex is what generally harms guys in the long run. In my personal opinion, and based on what I've heard from friends, some girls do not want to deal with a self proclaimed "nice guy", because they feel entitled to their feelings being reciprocated. Myself included.

If your niceness to me has undertones of expectations that we will date and I do not feel the same, I will cut contact. Period.

tumblr_nd0kzuFCLu1tq4of6o1_500.gif
  • missiontofitness
    Options

The original comment that says "almost every girl has lead someone on" is far fetched and an assumption, not a fact.

This "nice guy" complex is what generally harms guys in the long run. In my personal opinion, and based on what I've heard from friends, some girls do not want to deal with a self proclaimed "nice guy", because they feel entitled to their feelings being reciprocated. Myself included.

If your niceness to me has undertones of expectations that we will date and I do not feel the same, I will cut contact. Period.

I can tell I've hit a note with you, if that's all you have to respond with.
    Options
    Kalici, my comment was directed at you. I'm still doing poorly with using names.

The comment was asking you to make an effort to recognize that there is not a male consensus on this thread.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Kalici, my comment was directed at you. I'm still doing poorly with using names.

The comment was asking you to make an effort to recognize that there is not a male consensus on this thread.

I quoted the person I was talking to in my comment. I assure you I have read every post in this thread.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options

Or just not worth responding to. You are talking something different then what I commented.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I agree. If you are being decent because you want the panties to drop, you're gonna have a bad time. They can figure you out pretty fast. It MIGHT work a time or two, but ultimately you'll be found out as a chump. It's got to be genuine.

Agreed, especially with your point about being genuine. If the other party figures out it was a ruse to start a relationship, and the "nice guy" act drops soon after, it's just a royal waste of everyone's time.

It's really hard to figure out that balance between "being nice" and "I want to have a relationship", but it's really important to respect the other person's feelings in all of this. It's easy to figure out if someone respects you by how they react after a rejection; if they're sad but understand, and want to continue a friendship after, that's someone you want to work through that rejection with and keep around. If they're upset and saying "what a nice guy they are", run. Get those steps in for the day.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Or just not worth responding to. You are talking something different then what I commented.

What you commented on was quite clear. Have fun responding with gifs!
    Options
    I'm so lazy I generally let my feelings be known up front. Games? Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
    "I think you are wonderful. I really do hope you like me...I'm excited about you!"
  • TFG_em
    TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    God knows mate. I have no idea how girls minds work. Try acting a bit more like a dickhead. Single girls in todays dating game seem to respond to that ;)

Worst advice ever. There is a BIG difference between being confident and being a cocky dickhead. My advice would be ... stop reading books about flirting, etc. You're trying too hard and that probably shows. Relax. Work on being confident and comfortable in your own skin, women will start noticing. It is hard for people to get to know shy people because all they're seeing is that awkward insecurity. I understand it is easier said than done, but once you get that shyness under control, they'll see you for you. Your personality will really start to shine.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options

Your first sentence was way off base. Should I continue?
  • missiontofitness
    Options

It's not worth responding to, as you stated above. So let's save ourselves some time.
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should clarify. My comment is strictly from my experience. I've met women who outwardly admit they do this. My opinion Is based on what I've seen and heard. Reguardless if you agree or not, it happens. Was my comment a blanket statement accusing all women of doing this? Of course not. It was simply my observation of what I've seen. I've talked to women who do this on purpose to make them feel better about their self esteem. Even though I don't agree with their choice I still respect the honesty. If your not a woman that does this than kudos to you. :)
  • Yogi_warrior
    Options

It's not worth responding to, as you stated above. So let's save ourselves some time.

I agree with this.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    TFG_em wrote: »
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    God knows mate. I have no idea how girls minds work. Try acting a bit more like a dickhead. Single girls in todays dating game seem to respond to that ;)

Worst advice ever. There is a BIG difference between being confident and being a cocky dickhead. My advice would be ... stop reading books about flirting, etc. You're trying too hard and that probably shows. Relax. Work on being confident and comfortable in your own skin, women will start noticing. It is hard for people to get to know shy people because all they're seeing is that awkward insecurity. I understand it is easier said than done, but once you get that shyness under control, they'll see you for you. Your personality will really start to shine.

Thissss.

While every person will be different, generally people are going to be more receptive to what this user posted. Best to get to know you first, accepting that it's okay to be single while you do it, and then let yourself shine once you've mastered the first two. :) There's no rush trying to make something happen. You have to know what you want, and who you are, so you can put your best foot forward.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Perhaps I should clarify. My comment is strictly from my experience. I've met women who outwardly admit they do this. My opinion Is based on what I've seen and heard. Reguardless if you agree or not, it happens. Was my comment a blanket statement accusing all women of doing this? Of course not. It was simply my observation of what I've seen. I've talked to women who do this on purpose to make them feel better about their self esteem. Even though I don't agree with their choice I still respect the honesty. If your not a woman that does this than kudos to you. :)

Thanks for the clarification!
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In this entire thread, it's been women saying "we don't actually "friendzone" people, this doesn't exist, we just try to be nice to people who are nice to us, stop trying to emotionally guilt-trip us into dating someone" and "we are attracted to who we are attracted to, you know, we all have our own criteria", and then men responding with "no, let me, a man who does not have the experience of having been a woman, tell you what you think and what you want and how you function, because all of you girls are some kind of hivemind that follows specific patterns that I have unlocked".

Why does every single man feel more entitled to knowing what women think and feel than the women themselves? Trust us when we tell you things, we are not all that dumb and emotional that we have no clue as to how we function.

As for leading people on... when most men react to rejection by being derisive, violent, vitriolic, sending texts like "you were a **** anyway I was doing you a favour" and generally lashing out, sometimes surprisingly hurtfully, a lot of girls are genuinely unwilling to be openly dismissing and writhe internally, not knowing how to handle the situation. Trust me, you have no idea how often the topic of "I want him to stop pursuing me but I don't know how to make him without being rude to him and making him angry and having him lash out, and frankly I don't even know how to be rude to begin with" comes up in girl-girl discussion.

The girls who lead men on intentionally, to boost their ego, are far between.
  • pr3pared
    pr3pared Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would really like to see how do the people who flip when they hear the term friendzone react when a woman friend complains about being friendzoned by a guy whom she's set on orbiting around, unrequited. The friendzone is toxic and one should take their leave asap, and that's what I say to those women. No "it doesn't exist" or "blah blah genders". I generally agree that it's a narrative frequently used in sexist speech and should be fought against, but maybe not on top of someone's problems.

But it's also good to suggest to stop girlfriend-zoning women, OP. Make more women friends. And male friends, you mention asking women for advice but seem to be lacking your peers' input. Take some time off dating, try to lose the desperation, reassess later.