EATING CLEAN VERSUS EATING LESS

Options
14567810»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why didn't you just put in to gain and use the numbers MFP gives you? (And reminder - this is based on NEAT so it's that base # PLUS exercise calories)

And I'm assuming that number you got from MFP is based on wanting to be in a deficit so trying to figure out your surplus from that isn't going to work. You wouldn't really be 500 cals over.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    To add: I used - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If you are really sedentary and not exercising, you'd need to be at around 2100-2300 to maintain. (This is based on TDEE which includes exercise calories).

So in order to do that surplus you are talking about, you'd have to be aiming to eat more around 2800-3200 calories.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've only made it through two pages and I feel like beating my head against the wall.

I'll hold your coat for you.

Seriously though, why post a comment like that? Just go and join a different thread.

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi all, welcome to my experiment...

I will be eating almost 800 calories over what the suggested amount is for losing 2lbs a week

What I entered :

Weight 260

Height 5'7

Lifestyle: sedentary

The suggest 1390 a day

I will be eating 2100

I believe I will still lose weight without starving myself because eating clean and burning fat is far different than eating junk and burning muscle... whats more I think I will lose more weight this way...

I will also be drinking approximation 120 ounces of water a day to help flush fat cells

I will be posting my diary link so that you can check it, I will be logging in every day, and weighing myself once a week...

I am excited to see these results!!!

That's nice dear

May I suggest you eat 1000 calories over your 2lb cut for a real experiment. Also ensure your TDEE is correct so you need to keep doing this until you hit your maintenance over a couple of months on regular food and then replace ...you know so that it is actually an experiment

Oh and fat cells don't flush away they kind of just empty

Well not sure I can eat that much in a day, clean eating is WAY more food than junk eating... but I will try....lol

Also, TDEE is 2080 which is why I chose the 2100 number...

Yes by flush I meant to clean them out, not that they will actually leave my body.... lol

So you got overweight how?? There are plenty of 'clean' high cal foods btw - nuts, avocados, oils...

Becuase I used to think pizza and chocolate were part of the main food groups... no seriously I ate crap all the time... it was fast and easy and I was short on time.... sure there are some medical issues thrown in there but that is not an excuse for how grossly I ate or treated myself...

So, like everyone else, your first reaction is to go from one type of extreme eating to a different type of extreme eating.

Anyway, if you want to be scientific about it and actually have any kind of useful data at the end of this, you first need to establish your TDEE and you also need to establish how much you have been eating before you started the experiment. If you have been eating 3000 calories a day and then you suddenly switch to eating 2100 calories (even if it's nothing but junk food) you will still lose, especially at the beginning. I lose about 3 lbs in 2 days twice a month, every time when I switch from a surplus to a deficit.

And what's wrong with pizza? Why does everyone have to pick on pizza?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options

One other person on here gave me sight they got their TDEE from, which put mine at 2309... and someone else said just add 1000 calories to my loss deficit which put me at about the same...so I will be aiming for minimal 2310.... you have to understand if I do this a month and have only lost .5 lbs that not a win, I am looking for like an 8lb drop minimal first month....I am not so narcissistic as to claim victory over split hairs, I am not that person....

You are delusional.

Why not eat cleaner AND at a calorie deficit?

P.S. You might want to look up the difference between SITE and SIGHT.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I genuinely cannot understand why anyone has a problem with OP doing this. So you don't think it'll work. I don't either. So? Why are you arguing with her about it? How does it affect you? Like, at all?

OP, you sound like a reasonable person. I'm interested to see how this journey goes and what you discover. Ignore the haters.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

P.S. You might want to look up the difference between SITE and SIGHT.

Read the rules, my friend. This sort of critique is against them.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Hi all, welcome to my experiment...

I will be eating almost 800 calories over what the suggested amount is for losing 2lbs a week

What I entered :

Weight 260

Height 5'7

Lifestyle: sedentary

The suggest 1390 a day

I will be eating 2100

I believe I will still lose weight without starving myself because eating clean and burning fat is far different than eating junk and burning muscle... whats more I think I will lose more weight this way...

I will also be drinking approximation 120 ounces of water a day to help flush fat cells

I will be posting my diary link so that you can check it, I will be logging in every day, and weighing myself once a week...

I am excited to see these results!!!

That's nice dear

May I suggest you eat 1000 calories over your 2lb cut for a real experiment. Also ensure your TDEE is correct so you need to keep doing this until you hit your maintenance over a couple of months on regular food and then replace ...you know so that it is actually an experiment

Oh and fat cells don't flush away they kind of just empty

Well not sure I can eat that much in a day, clean eating is WAY more food than junk eating... but I will try....lol

Also, TDEE is 2080 which is why I chose the 2100 number...

Yes by flush I meant to clean them out, not that they will actually leave my body.... lol

So you got overweight how?? There are plenty of 'clean' high cal foods btw - nuts, avocados, oils...

Becuase I used to think pizza and chocolate were part of the main food groups... no seriously I ate crap all the time... it was fast and easy and I was short on time.... sure there are some medical issues thrown in there but that is not an excuse for how grossly I ate or treated myself...

The pizza I had tonight wasn't fast! Took, like, 35 minutes to get here. I could have made food faster than that, but my egg-dispensing ovary required pizza, so I didn't. I'm pretty confident that it won't affect my weight loss efforts, cos CICO. Anyway, my point was that saying you can't 'eat clean' at what should be your maintenance level is pretty ridiculous. Just think about it.

What does your other ovary dispense?

Boom tish

Skittles. I like that ovary.
    That's way better than the one that makes milk come out of your nose every time you laugh.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Good luck with this. Personally, I don't think you will lose weight, but you might feel better for getting rid of junk food from your diet. Interested to see how you get on!

Thank you... well this whole thread started somewhere else where people are claiming that you lose the same amount of weight whether you eat pizza or salad because its totally calorie based. I said you will lose more weight eating the same amount of calories of spinach than you would pizza and they all acted like I was insane. SO then I said you could lose more fat eating more salad and less pizza, despite calorie difference. Which I stand behind. Then I decided to just jump off a cliff and try this because no one will do a comparative with me, people hate to be wrong but IDK why, to error is human... I think in reality they know when you eat food like baked fish you will lose more weight then eating the same calories in a junior burger but don't want to admit it for some odd reason...
    In order for such a comparison to make any sense, you'd probably each have to do both, otherwise there's no particular reason to believe two people eating the same approximate amount under their TDEE are going to lose at precisely the same rate, since scale weight goes all over the place and all other kinds of factors can confound the results.

And if you're having one person do both ways to compare, why exactly do you need a second person to see how the difference affects you?

BTW my prediction is that you would lose at the same rate on either (especially if you run it long enough to account for changes in water retention between the two) but that on the "clean" diet you would feel "better" and not hungry, yet more deprived, while on the extreme "junk" diet you would have more fun but probably feel acky from that much junk food and also feel hungry almost all the time.

I would also predict that finding a balance where you get all the nutrients you need but also have room for some "junk" (and basically foods you eat for no reason other than you enjoy them) would leave you feeling better and not deprived.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    trixieloo wrote: »
    I genuinely cannot understand why anyone has a problem with OP doing this. So you don't think it'll work. I don't either. So? Why are you arguing with her about it? How does it affect you? Like, at all?

OP, you sound like a reasonable person. I'm interested to see how this journey goes and what you discover. Ignore the haters.

You don't really understand how this whole forum concept works, do you...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I change the original post to reflect my new goal of 2309 or do I have to start over??? Original grains = non GMO's like spelt

You can edit a post for an hour. Mouse rollover the post and click on the right corner gear icon.

Well that time is gone... thank you for letting me know....

We understand your update, just reflect it in your diary and start it up. Good luck!
    I don't understand how you're supporting this. You know it's bad science, n=1...

I always support doing your own personal research and learning by observation. The OP isn't doing something harmful, readers that follow her wouldn't be doing something harmful so there is no reason not to support her - science can stand to be challenged by personal observation.

Whatever the outcome - the OP will have an overall healthier diet.
    I don't understand why people are against experimenting. I can understand not wanting to apply the results to everyone, but to be against even trying something to see what happens is beyond comprehension.

I guess Ben Franklin was wrong to fly his kite because n=1.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Ddonna82 wrote: »
    Wow, why are you people being so rude, if that's the way she wants to go about it, she can. We're all here for one reason which is to become more healthy and loose weight the healthy way, everyone's body is different it it doesn't work out then she can try an different method. While I'm still on my journey, I've definitely been switching things up to see which method works for me. And I know for a fact that every person that has lost weight had to eventually find out which beat his or her body moves too. Stay Blessed Everyone
    LOL
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I believe there is no harm in the OP from learning from first hand experience, sometimes borrowed knowledge just isn't satisfying enough.

I can understand this point of view. For example, when I decided that I needed to post on this thread, I felt that I simply couldn't rely on using a computer that was designed and made with knowledge and processes that I didn't experience myself. Instead of spending some money at my local electronics retailer, I spent 5000 years rediscovering electronics, programming, microchip fabrication, mining, transportation, electricity etc etc and singlehandedly crafted a 14.1" Sony VAIO from scratch.

TOTALLY worth it.
    Yeah, that's totally like what the OP is doing.

Oh wait, no it isn't.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kryztoval wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I didn't read all 6 pages. Just the first couple.

If you are going to do this right, you are going to have to figure out your TDEE the real way. Not some calculator on the internet. Otherwise the test doesn't prove anything. For the first 4 months, I lost well over what I should have been losing eating "processed junk". The reason being is that I hadn't really figured out my TDEE. I just used calculators/estimates.

Now, if you have already done that in the few month prior, disregard.

Could you be so kind and post a link, or enlighten us as to how to calculate the TDEE? Because I go basal and then add the calories I burn by activity measuring. It has worked ok so far. But I would like to know your method and give it a try. (This is OUR thread so I am not hijacking it)
    183da91e41b6c2883b164c5ea1ae9ad8.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    Options

What haters? She's trying to prove a point/experiment about whether or not it's true that eating foods (even "clean" foods) at a surplus will still cause a weight gain. That's fine. My problem is she's not figuring out that 800 calorie surplus properly, which means that she'll come back and say "I didn't gain" and then get mad and have wkers like you come in and call people haters when they point out the flaw of her experiment. Flaw being she wasn't at a surplus.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

And yet still blank.

Do we have a start date for this experiment?
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

What haters? She's trying to prove a point/experiment about whether or not it's true that eating foods (even "clean" foods) at a surplus will still cause a weight gain. That's fine. My problem is she's not figuring out that 800 calorie surplus properly, which means that she'll come back and say "I didn't gain" and then get mad and have wkers like you come in and call people haters when they point out the flaw of her experiment. Flaw being she wasn't at a surplus.

I'm not referring to people who are asking her to be more precise about her numbers/pointing out flaws in the plan. That's cool. I'm referring to the people who are freaking out at the idea of her doing at all. Why do they care if she tries it?