EATING CLEAN VERSUS EATING LESS

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than you burn, you will lose. If you eat more than you burn, no matter what you eat, you won't lose. Coz science.

Wizardry.

(Wait. Is OP a different account of the same person who tried to school me last night on how weight management really works?)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    BTW, I skimmed the whole thread. Did OP ever state how much she expects to lose on this "diet plan"? Like, does she expect to lose 8lbs/month? Or 0.0001lbs/month?

It's funny that you'd guess 8 lbs per month because that's what she said.

It's my bs-detecting magic power.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    OP needs a control group for this to be a good experiment. She needs to eat the same amount of calories in "junk" for a month as she will with her "clean" month and measure and compare the gains and losses. If done correctly, a similar pattern should emerge, since calories are units of energy and whatnot, but what do I know?
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This will be interesting and perhaps helpful to some...I don't understand why some people feel the need to be so negative.

Because on t'internet, everyone is an expert. ;)
  • ana3067
    Options
    I think it will be helpful to some, when it falsifies the OP's hypothesis.

Actually, TBH I think that those who already believe "eating clean" has magical powers are very unlikely to be persuaded by any data or evidence.
    I'm sure they will come in saying she has a metabolic condition, thus her maintenance is actually really low.

OH, also, can I just lol @ the fact that beans are provided as her protein source in like, every post? Instead of, oh, idk... meat, poultry, and fish?

Trololol

They'll also probably claim that she wasn't really eating "clean" because something she ate wasn't on their personal list of "clean" items. I've been told that frozen vegetables aren't clean, that no grains are clean, that oil isn't clean. It's completely subjective.
    Like that one thread in Food & Nutrition once where some guy argued that frozen fruit is processed and then all the comments got deleted.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    A grilled whopper is 649 calories... I would have to eat almost 93 cups of spinach to get to that many calories.... that is what I meant about having a hard time reaching this goal with good eating... lol

In what universe is someone eating 93 cups of spinach (or anything really) considered "good eating"???

Ugh. Guess I need to finish catching up before posting. I'm sure this has already been covered.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My personal story: I might or might not have eaten what most "clean" eaters consider clean ... I don't know what that is because it's so nebulous a term. But I ate a diet of what most people would consider healthy food.

I ate eggs, lots of fresh produce, Greek yogurt, cheese, beans and legumes, nuts, seeds, and fish (I was still eating this at that point), nut butter and olive oil. I ate no sugar. No grains.

I gained weight. Plain and simple, I was eating too much food.

I eat the same things now (except for the fish). I also eat some grains, some sugar, and ice cream and cookies. I've added back white potatoes. In much lower quantities within an appropriate caloric deficit. I'm losing weight.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    eating junk burns muscle? since when?

I curl the Cheetos to my mouth, ya know, just so it all evens out.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Good luck with this. Personally, I don't think you will lose weight, but you might feel better for getting rid of junk food from your diet. Interested to see how you get on!

If she insists on eating 93 cups of spinach/salad, she'll lose weight. 1) because she'll be eating at a deficit because she won't be able to eat that much, and 2) she'll no longer be sedentary because she'll be running laps to the bathroom.

PrestoProSS1.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    My personal story: I might or might not have eaten what most "clean" eaters consider clean ... I don't know what that is because it's so nebulous a term. But I ate a diet of what most people would consider healthy food.

I ate eggs, lots of fresh produce, Greek yogurt, cheese, beans and legumes, nuts, seeds, and fish (I was still eating this at that point), nut butter and olive oil. I ate no sugar. No grains.

I eat the same things now (except for the fish). I also eat some grains, some sugar, and ice cream and cookies. I've added back white potatoes. In much lower quantities within an appropriate caloric deficit. I'm losing weight.

Well duh, oil =/= clean! mystery solved!
  • ana3067
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

Have you tried these?
    635574430711629655-XXX-CHEETOS-SWEETOS-001.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Yes, TIL I should have pressed it out of avocados or walnuts myself. After I flew on a plane and harvested them from organic sources, naturally.

• jofjltncb6
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    OP does get cudos for going public with this and all the mocking, sarcasm and scrutiny to come...

I presumed that her 800 additional calories is still a deficit. My thing is 8 weeks of wasting time and getting a lot of flack for doing this public..

But OP probably really does not give a rats *** about what anybody thinks... this may be the end goal to get the MFP community in an up roar (this thread is already at 5 pages and will grow immensely)..

Yes I assume it would be also. 2100 is maintenance for me when I'm active, and I'm very small. But OP is claiming she's going to lose weight despite a surplus, so that's why I told her she needs to figure out what maintenance is first. I would not be at all surprised if she loses weight on 2100 or even 2300. It doesn't mean anything unless she's tested that 2300 is the level at which she maintains her weight before she starts.

Agreed and I think we pointed out something that the OP has not revealed...eating at maintenance test prior to setting this up is the key in this equation..

Since we agree on this, just how much weight is going to be lost, may a couple of ounces a week? And the definition of eating clean will be quite interesting...

How does one really know if truthful logging is being done in the nutrition diary and weight tracker?

Why so much negativity?
  • ana3067
    Options

Yes, TIL I should have pressed it out of avocados or walnuts myself. After I flew on a plane and harvested them from organic sources, naturally.
    Oh, you don't grow them in your backyard?

maxresdefault.jpg

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If 2100 doesn't have you in deficit, you will not lose! Eating 'clean' at deficit gives you the benefit of more volume of food (and getting the micronutrients you need), it's not a magical formula to lose.

Good luck with your experiment, although it does seem pointless to test something that has already been proven.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    A grilled whopper is 649 calories... I would have to eat almost 93 cups of spinach to get to that many calories.... that is what I meant about having a hard time reaching this goal with good eating... lol

In what universe is someone eating 93 cups of spinach (or anything really) considered "good eating"???

Ugh. Guess I need to finish catching up before posting. I'm sure this has already been covered.

If someone ate 93 cups of spinach a day, they'd probably get an iron overdose or something.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I've only made it through two pages and I feel like beating my head against the wall. This person is obviously trying to get a rise out of the MFP community. Let him/her do the stupid expirment and be done with it.

Are you saying we shouldn't post in the thread then? Are you saying that *no one* should post in the thread? I'm a little confused about the takeaway message of your post.

:huh:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    This will be interesting and perhaps helpful to some...I don't understand why some people feel the need to be so negative.

Because OP is not a fracking special snowflake. If MFP told her to eat 1300 calories that means her estimated maintenance is around 2300 calories. Therefore a tiny deficit of 100 calories unless she also plans to burn maybe another 200 every day to create a 300 calorie deficit. Which will NOT yield 2lb/weel losses but more like .6-7lb/week losses.

Although if she is saying that her TDEE (which I'm assuming she procured from another website, since MFP doesnt' give you your TDEE but only your neat maintenance needs) is LOWER than what it would hypothetically be per the MFP calculations, and she will be eating ABOVE her MAINTENANCE needs, that means she will not lose weight.

Eating 2200 calories of carrots won't make someone lose weight just because carrots.

It will, however, make them an interesting shade of orange.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »

Have you tried these?
    635574430711629655-XXX-CHEETOS-SWEETOS-001.jpg

t2970114-66-thumb-drooling-homer-simpson.jpg?d=1262644239

Just pour them right in. Sorry muscles, not sorry.