WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    margaretturk - i can't tell you how many times i've fallen/crashed, couple of times been hit. but i still get on the bike, comes with the territory, that's just what i do. as my husband says, I won't be a leg model anymore cuz of my scars on my knees. I messed up my shoulder bad enough once that I couldn't use my left arm so I rode and used the other arm and made due with using the left arm as best as I could, I couldn't grip to put the breaks on, so for that time I was breaking with one set.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Mary – GREAT! So glad it is all working out so well.

Toni – that sounds like a perfect fit, at the Y, at Church and a walk to and from! What could be better? Sorry to hear about your Sister, sending good thoughts, hope your visit planning goes well.

Joan Michelle – my high school bf/crush (although we did date a bit) later told me he was gay, when I got invited to the wedding… He was/is a great catch. Back then (mid 1970’s) I did not know what gay was- so protected I was! He had to explain it to me! LOL!

I got a fitbit about last Sept (?) and it has really motivated me. I also dealt with PF (planter foot crap) and found that a good arch support and acupuncture were the answer for me, for the first 6 months I even wore an arch support in my slippers!

Sylvia – welcome home – I do think a week or so to get rid of water/salt and just back to “normal” seems like a good idea.

Terri – 35% interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG can you just pay that back now, and re-do it as a team with a better rate? I have to say as much as I think I would like a DH, when I hear about some of the bad choices the group’s DHs make, being single looks better and better.

I don’t live far from the Budweiser facility and took a tour there, it was GREAT! I would recommend it to all over 21.

Meg – how sad…..

Heather – so glad about the strike and having your cleaner on standby – this will work out!

So a busy busy couple of days, I have a client who does everything last minute, and is very involved in tons of stuff… full time job, on the board of 4 major community organizations, owns a business… any way since last July I have been trying to get her to commit to which logo was to be embroidered on the big box of shirts she left here. ( my embroidery room is a 12 x11 foot bedroom – so a big box is in the way every day) Well she had a urgent need for a shirt and I told her I could do it if she could tell me what logo… So I got the info!!!! But she is just as bad about paying, so I decided to see if I could get everything done so when she comes tonight to pick up the urgent shirt she could get everything and I’d get a nice check! The machines have been sewing overtime! And I am almost done!!!! Yeah! She of course still has not told me when she will be here…but it is usually after 10pm. At that hour I usually leave it on the porch and they are supposed to leave a check under the mat, but she ALWAYS forgets the check or some dumb story… so now she has to deal with me… no checky no shirty…. LOL

May goals:
    Walk every day
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – had a friend visit for a couple of days – went to our big second hand store (Savers) and for $23 got 3 pair of walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots – all very gently used. Score!

Week 2 – had Mom for a 4 day visit, tried some new recipes, salmon, shrimp and clams…. Yummy. Did a new walk with the dog that had a long tough hill, and we made it!

Week 3 – reconnected with my hiking friends and hiked Brushy Peak. Also made divinity as a test run for a candy class I am teaching this summer, excellent, and even better gave most of it away.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ride hm 2 gyn- 12.32min, 14amph, 2.9mi = 92c
    jog- 25.41min, 12.51ap, 6.4-5.0speed, 5incline, 2mi = 214c
    ride gym 2 wk- 50.02min, 13.6amph, 11.3mi = 418c
    ride dome 2 hm- 15.10min, 10.7amph, 2.7mi = 164c
    Total cal 888
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    JoanMichelle,

Here's the recipe.

Myrt's Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients

1 cup chopped onion
    2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
    2 cups frozen vegetables - (carrots, peas, corn)

Preparation
    1. Pre-heat oven to 400
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes.
    3. Reduce heat to medium, stir in beef, flour , 1/4 teaspoon garlic,and cook, stirring, until the beef is mostly browned, about 3 minutes.
    4. Add broth, Worcestershire sauce scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the broth is the consistency of thick gravy, about 4 minutes..
    5. Stir in vegetables , 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder; cook until the vegetables are warm, about 5 minute. Remove from the heat.

Place meat mixture in casserole dish and cover with mashed potatoes. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes

You'll have to let me know how it turns out. Apparently when I made it I misread the amount of broth, no wonder I thought it needed tweaking. :lol:

Carey-Edmonton
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just had to pop in and report that I finally took the bike ride with my son this afternoon. Had a blast until we turned in to the parking lot on the way home and he stopped and I didn't.
    ze22lk5fjedf.jpg
    rqnhyajoqc9j.jpg

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Friday here and feeling better as looked at friend's photos and her BF% is higher than mine. We are encouraging each other.
    Food = 1745, training = 634 cals I did 2 sets of BFFM 2-day split for weights, 3 Kgs x 12 to start with

Two parts to Somerset beach, dogs can free run on part of it but not on another part. Hope betty will walk beack with me tomorrow afternoon.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Stats for today:
    23,000 steps
    three hours of dog walking in beautiful weather
    almost an hour on the exercise bike
    two hour line dance class and 40 minute practice for the county fair performance

smiley-happy110.gif I survived my visit to the dentist.....I distracted myself by counting backwards by three's from 999.....she said that my teeth keep looking better so I am clearly doing better at caring for them....then she gave me suggestions for doing even better. I go three times a year for a very deep cleaning at the periodontist's office.

469367makfzcur9b.gif About hats, today we decided that we're going to wear several different kinds of hats at our line dance performance at the county fair (so far, a bowler for "All That Jazz" and a red cowboy hat for the country songs...we'll think of others later)

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Carol, OUCH! I hope you heal quickly.

Meg, I saw that on the news, about the female cop. It's just heartbreaking!

Pip, I love the shoes with toes! I've never had a pair, but I did have socks with toes. When I was in the Air Force the guys used to tease me about me always being so strictly " by the book", so one day I pulled off my dress shoes and showed them my socks that were black everywhere that showed but had rainbow colored toes. Certainly not regulation uniform. I was secretly a rebel.

We got home about 3:30, after stopping at every bathroom between Kansas City and home. That's about 120 miles. I took my water pills this morning after not taking them at all on the trip. We picked up the dogs, who were VERY excited to see us. I went to see the kids for a little bit, then my oldest DGD went grocery shopping with me. She's feeling so grown up, since she "graduated" from fifth grade yesterday.

I made salad for dinner, with chicken cooked in salsa (no salt) on mine and terriaki chicken on hubby's. It was so nice to have a salad again. In Spain they seemed to think salad had to have tuna on it, and I can't eat tuna so I avoided salad altogether. Couldn't communicate well enough to order it without.

So now, two dogs are sleeping on our bed and one is sleeping on a sofa. It's so nice to have my dogs back! All is right with the world. I'm on my third load of laundry and have one more to go. On the way home we stopped at IKEA and bought two sets of white dinnerware. The Corelle dishes that were hubby's mother's were getting chipped around the edges, so we finally got some new ones. My first new dishes since we got married! They aren't fancy, but they will fit in the cabinets better than the ones I was using.

I hope everyone is having a great day.

Sylvia
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I guess I forgot to check in this morning. Slept until 7:45 a.m. - yes I am sick. Coughed half the night. Today down to my DM's house to get her van ready to sell. Probably shouldn't have been anywhere!!! So I am going to have a shower and spray some Watkins's Menthol Relief Mist in the shower. Hopefully that clears my chest, sinus's and head....

And hope I sleep tonight!! Fire burning in the Northern Provincial Forest about 20 miles from us. Fire crews couldn't get to it and water bombers are farther east working. We are tinder dry!!

Goodnight all
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I've been too busy to post the jokes for a few days, so here are some I missed:

:)

A couple is dressed and ready to go out for the evening. They phone for a cab, turn on a night light, cover their pet parakeet and put the cat out in the back yard.

The taxi arrives, and they open the front door to leave. Suddenly the cat they put out scoots back into the house. They don't want the cat shut in there because she always tries to eat the bird. The wife goes out to the taxi while the husband goes back in. The cat runs upstairs, with the man in hot pursuit.

The wife doesn't want the driver to know the house will be empty. She explains to the taxi driver that her husband will be out soon. "He's just going upstairs to say goodbye to my mother."

A few minutes later the husband gets into the cab.

"Sorry I took so long," he says, as they drive away. "Stupid hag was hiding under the bed. Had to poke her with a coat hanger to get her to come out! Then I had to wrap her in a blanket to keep her from scratching me. But it worked. I hauled her fat butt downstairs and threw her out into the back yard!

The cab driver hit a parked car.

:D

A man is driving down a country road when he spots an Antartian standing in the middle of a huge field of grass.

He pulls the car over to the side of the road and notices that the Antartian is just standing there, doing nothing, looking at nothing.

The man gets out of the car, walks all the way out to the Antartian and asks him, "Ah excuse me mister, but what are you doing?"

The Antartian replies, "I'm trying to win a Nobel Prize."

"How?" asks the man, puzzled.

"Well I heard they give the Nobel Prize to people who are out standing in their field."

A very intelligent boy was fortunate enough to be receiving a far better education than his parents had enjoyed, and his vocabulary far outstripped theirs. One day he came home from school and said “Mommy, may I relate to you a narrative?”

“What’s a narrative, Gerald?” she asked.

“A narrative, Mommy, is a tale.”

“Oh, I see,” said his mother nodding, and Gerald told her his story. At bedtime as he was about to go upstairs he said, “Shall I extinguish the light Mommy?”

“What’s extinguish?” she asked.

“Extinguish means to put out, Mommy,” said brainy Gerald

“Oh, I see. Yes, certainly.”

The next day the clergyman came to tea and the family dog began to make a nuisance of himself, as a dog will, by begging for goodies from the table.

“Gerald,” said his mother, trying to impress

“Take that dog by the narrative and extinguish him."

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - love the taxi and the cat joke!!!

Really checked in to tell you all that she came (at 7pm!!!) and picked up her order, the Check is in my hand and it is enough to cover June's mortgage!!! Yeah!!!

I also wanted to log my day, but I can't get into the food part, keep getting an error. HMMMMMM

Kim in N. Cal
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in. I had to teach a class on Methodist Polity tonight. Fun, fun stuff! Didn't get home until 9:30. I need to go to bed, but I have to distress first.

Did I tell y'all about joining the 10k step challeng through my insurance wellness program? It syncs with my Fitbit, Began May 4 and runs through May 31. So far, I have met the goal every day. I wish I could say the same for making good eating choices, but I did stay within my calories today.

I did read everyone's posts, but no time to comment.

• pipcd34
    Options
    Nccar- I'm sorry bout your fall. I now call then just another war wound
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Add strength training to the cardio I do. And learn how to do it safely and effectively. That's basically it. So far, I am doing okay - knock on wood.

Thank you,
    Robin
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Carol-I'm so sorry that you fell off your bike! I hope you heal quickly.

Sylvia- welcome home!

Lillian- I hope that the fire stays away from you and is under control quickly.

Kim - I hope your boss pays you!

We had a lot of different types of food at the charity event. Just small tastes. They had a silent auction and the only thing I was interested in was a one of a kind gold and silver necklace made by a local artist. I bid then I noticed a lady bid. I bid higher and I sat down and she ran up and bid again. I walked up and bid she didn't sit down she just took the sheet and bid again so I thought I would bid really high so she could go over me and charity would get a good donation. After I was done I sat down and watched her. She looked at my bid and went back to her seat and got her friend to go back up. They looked at the sheet and sat back down. BACKFIRE! I got the necklace! That's okay it's for charity. The artist donates his proceeds to the local food shelf. The necklace design was almost identical to the silver accent design on the dress and jacket that I was wearing. It looks like it was made for it.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: You are a survivor who has made a success of yourself. WTG! Living out of state seems like a good plan. I love the photo of monkey feet. DS has a pair and loves them.

Kim: I am enjoying reading about your weekly fun thing. I’m glad you reconnected with friends and hiked Brushy Peak. I loved hearing about your triumphs with divinity, too.

Vicki: Thanks for your good wishes. I took a lot of old cooking supplies off of the boat and have quite a shopping list for later today. It makes me happy to get the boat ready for the season. Last year we didn’t have a season because of DH’s back pain.

Toni in TN: I see the chef’s point. The smell of some foods sends me out the door! Others draw me in for a nice meal. Good luck with the new job. It sounds perfect!

Terrimom: Congratulations on a personal best plank session!

Lisa: Muscle mass is more dense than fat and takes up less space. It also weighs more. It sounds to me like you may be having a plateau. Just stick with it and you’ll see a loss again.

Rori: I’m happy you enjoyed your time in Hawaii, but sad that going back to CO was lonely.

Barbie: When I was small I had a dentist who never succeeded at numbing my mouth for dental work. It was awful to see him. In college I finally found a great dentist. He passed away after I’d graduated but while we still lived in the area. I’ve been lucky to get good dentists ever since. I think modern dentistry is one of the reasons more people are living longer. You can’t be healthy if you can’t chew your food and get basic nutrition.

Mary: It sounds like your home is going to someone nice. That is a relief, especially since you sill be living in the same town for a while longer.

Heather: I’m happy the strike is off and hope that you have an easy hospital experience with your DH. As to the ex being a pain in the @ss, I’m sorry you haven’t gotten your money. I wonder whether being a pain in the @ss part of the reason he is an ex. Your salmon sounds wonderful.

Sylvia: Home at last! I hope you have a good reunion with your furry kids soon and the not so furry ones after you’re rested. I loved the joke about the “stupid hag” and the cab driver. I’m still chuckling.

JoanMichelle: Have a good time at the lake. It is lucky you and your DD can work on your healthy lifestyles together.

Carey in Edmonton: I love your quotations. Today’s is wonderful! "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Janet: I love the idea of “our leftovers” going where I want them to go. I benefitted from my parents’ leftovers and hope to make it a family tradition. Have I told you that my mom was a Janet?

TNToni and Pip: I hope the mammogram was easy on “the girls." I looked on my medical chart, and my girls don’t get squished again until next year. Yay!!!

Carol: Owweee! I hope you feel better soon.

We had an adventure today, and went to a farm store in the next county for Wrangler jeans. It was about 60 miles round trip. Now my pants will be long enough that I don’t look dorky while riding. I hope I figure out how to keep from tripping on them when I walk. :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

heather: Your salmon sounds divine!May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, glad you are home and all is right with the world. Missed your jokes! Love the idea of the stones and the jars unless you are like me and am having to make the stones go in reverse.

Lisa, your quilt sounds lovely and you are such a wonderful person to want to give a gift like that. I have made about 4 quilts and I know the effort you have to put in them. I hope you refind yourself while you make the quilt.

Carol, about the person who is negligent about turning in her notes for the bulliten. makes a person wonder if she is OK. Maybe she is actually sick or has forgotten which would be out of character. OYCH on that bike accident. That's going to hurt for awhile.

Kim, one of my daughter's best friends in high school was gay. They went to prom together. every Mom's dream date for their daughter. You know you didn't have to worry about him taking her to a hotel or anything like that.

You girls keep talking about getting your girls squished. I am trying to keep that in the farthest part of my brain and forget that I need it but you all are ruining my plan.

Well today my nephew and his wife had a luncheon for the family to all celebrate their son's graduation. It was at a local bar in town. My nephew knows I am on a diet so he told me the mini chef salad was big enough to serve two so that's what I ordered. Well, maybe it's big enough to serve two if you are having a meal along with it but it was about 2 cups of shredded iceberg lettuce, maybe 5 small to medium chunks of ham, a tomato wedge and smothered with cheese. I took off most of the cheese (I just don't like cheese on my salad) my neice gave me the tomato slice from her sandwich and ate that. I did eat an apple when I got home. He did warn me that they were going to have cake. I love it that Walmart has all their bakery items on the food database here. So I was able to enter the Walmart bakery marble sheet cake. So for those of you who live in South Carolina or nearby, you are getting a good kid down there for the next 6 years. He is going to Coastal Carolina University for the first year then transfer to University of South Carolina for the rest of his education, will be going to summer school to try to get his Pharmacy degree early. He's a good kid, parents are wonderful. He is an only child and whatever he was doing, they were involved with. They are his best friends.

I have enjoyed just reading about everyones' lives today and not having to make notes. Feel like I kind of cheated a bit. But that's OK. Maybe i'm kind of reflective because a kid I watched grow up graduated from high school and also knowing the day he was born in one hospital here in Evansville, I was at another one being diagnosed with MS. He was also a 'blue baby' at birth and almost didn't make it.

Night night, Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I am finally caught up reading posts.
    tsarahlove - I think you are doing really well. Please give yourself the credit you deserve. As women we are quite often very critical of ourselves.

Lillian - Your granddaughter is a little cutie. Have you got all your plants now?

Heather- The description of the the fish pie is delicious.

Sylvia - What an adventure with the tub! I'm still laughing.

Tere - Fascinators should be available on Etsy. The products on that site are all hand crafted. Have fun.

terri_mom - We always feel for our children. It seems to me you are a good parent, caring and involved.

Joyce, Indiana - My brother gets Remicaid through infusion every 6 wks for his Crohn's/Ulcerative colitis ( he has a rare combo). He always feels better after the infusion.

Pip - It's so sad when people think they can drink and drive safely. One of my friends was killed in a cross walk in Calgary by a drunk driver. It happened right in front of our eyes. The laws in Alberta at that time weren't very strict. A $300 fine and a 3 month restricted license. I still have the occasional nightmare about her death. So senseless.

I've made a note to myself to make sure I read the books you amazing women have written.
    I've been working steadily to get the pruning and yard work done. I usually share it with DH but he is not allowed this year. DD is coming to help tomorrow. DGS "worked" with me one afternoon. It was interesting. I learnt a lot of things that day. He told me some of the jokes he has been working on. (They still need some work). We talked about basketball camp and his plan to be a neurologist.
    I have some plants and they are sitting on the deck just waiting to be planted.
    DGD stayed with me this afternoon while her Mom did the henna appointments. The poor little thing has psoriasis so she was in her 2 piece swim suit to get some sun on it. "Grandma, am I still pretty? These spots are not nice."
    DS is so confused. "She" is sending him messages that play with his mind and heart. Grrrr. I don't know what June will bring but there is no way he comes out of this with out more hurt. She takes up so much of his time that he really has not made many friends here. I don't get it, she didn't want him in her life but now.....
    DD says it is because she knows she is going to lose so she is hedging her bets. All's I know is I have no trust or respect for the woman. I feel there was verbal and physical abuse against my son. I asked him why he would ever let any one hit him. "She's smaller than me and you don't hit women" He has the best heart. Yes, we all hurt for our children.
    DH is bored, depressed and critical. It is hard to live with and I am trying to think of new things to keep him occupied. I'm hoping for some visits from his brother and our other DS to break up his time. I know we need to go back to counselling. Now that things are more settled I am booking appointments again.
    Prayers for all that are hurting and healing.
    Good night
    -Sharon in Sunny Southern Alberta
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just saying hi. I can't even remember the last time I stayed in bed for two days being sick. My guy is an angel, helping out. Sure hope he doesn't catch it.

Cynthia
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just marking my place.