WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Hope all is well...
    made the mistake of having a cup of tea at 3:00 yesterday afternoon.. was up until 10 pm, for me that is real late..
    Hope everyone here in the US enjoys this holiday weekend and remember why we have this Holiday.. we are blessed to have the military we do.
    Tomorrow we have tree's taken down so will talk with the DH about going grocery shopping, paying the mortgage and for the tree's might not have enough until next week for groceries, will make do..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) Sylvia, I'm glad you are home safely....I know your dogs are delighted....enjoy your home, your dogs, and your regular life.

B) Katla, when I was about 12, I threw up when the dentist was checking something in my mouth.....I have a sensitive gag reflex, and am always thinking I'm going to choke or not be able to breathe...and I don't like to sit still for long so all of that makes going to the dentist very trying and scary.....but I have all my teeth and plan to keep them my whole very long life so I put on my big girl pants and show up regularly.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif Now, breakfast eaten, and time to walk the first dog.

<3 Barbie
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! My DH is home today to help with the moving sale. Hopefully he will get all of his stuff sorted out. He has so much that he really needs to get rid of. I think it's harder for him to downsize then me. I feel that if we haven't used it in the last six years we don't need it.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! My DH is home today to help with the moving sale. Hopefully he will get all of his stuff sorted out. He has so much that he really needs to get rid of. I think it's harder for him to downsize then me. I feel that if we haven't used it in the last six years we don't need it.

Have a great day everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Mary - I thought the rule was "If you haven't used it in the last 2 years" you recycle, toss...whatever to it. ?

Sharon - I have only bought tomatoes so far. Perhaps this weekend I will buy more. I didn't buy to much because I was going to be gone this weekend to our TOPS PRD, but a nasty cold has hit and I am not going anywhere. Don't have too much get up and go... and coughing lots.

We are going to check on the forest fire this morning - there doesn't appear to be smoke but can't see it going out by itself.

Take care everyone
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sharon: Prayers for you and your DH. Depression is so hard to cope with. I hope you are able to find a key that will help him out of it and will help you both be happier. I'm a fan of getting help from pharmaceuticals while working on underlying causes.

Mary in MN: Good luck with your moving sale. I would love to get rid of a whole lot of the things we have, but don’t see it happening. I’ll enjoy downsizing vicariously through you!

This is the traditional beginning of Memorial Day weekend for those who can get away a day early. I’ll have the poppy up this weekend as a tribute. We are remembering those who have served our nation in the armed forces. My dad served in WWII in the South Pacific. My son is active duty military. Thank you both for helping to keep us safe and free, along with all the others who have served.

We have plans to go boating with our sailing club and anchor at a favorite nearby destination, but we don’t plan to leave before tomorrow. It rained last night and is cloudy now but the forecast is for a dry weekend. I’m supposed to have a riding lesson this afternoon at my instructor’s house for the first time. We usually meet at a stable with a covered arena but she doesn’t have access to her truck for hauling this weekend. I hope the lesson isn’t cancelled because of weather after all. Yesterday I went out and bought the right brand and length of jeans to please my teacher and want to show up looking “properly dressed.” The new jeans are long enough to puddle around my boots, even while I’m in riding position. I bought the ones with plain pockets, and no bling or embroidery on the b*tt. I had a big bottom from childhood forward until yoga and MFP helped me to get rid of excess weight stored there for famine that never came, but I’m still not inclined to purposely draw attention to “my assets.” :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Terri, I certainly understand your upset with DH and that loan. With that interest rate, you’d never get it paid back. Wow. What was he thinking?

Lisa, the quilt sounds like a lovely wedding gift. I’m anxious for a picture of it.

Carol, I agree with you on deadlines. Some people just can’t do things or be places on time. I’d probably run it without any information on her.

Heather, glad the train strike fell through. Even if you take a taxi, maybe the traffic won’t be too bad with the train still running. I’d give the solicitor a swift kick, if I were you. That is ridiculous to take that long.

Meg, I saw the story of the police woman on the news this morning. That is so sad. And what is with this mindless snacking? Are you asking for another swift kick? Just let me know. You know I’m here for you.

Terri
    , my DH kept joking that if we went back to Milwaukee, we wanted to go in the coldest part of the winter. NOT We used to go to Summer Fest when we lived there but my friend said it’s gotten a little less safe than it used to be. I haven’t been on a Brewery tour in years, so I could be talked into that. I definitely would want to see you but the problem is, my friend lives out in Pewaukee and I won’t have a car. Maybe we could meet one day during Irish Fest if that is when I come. We’ll figure it out.

Linda, I just had to LOL when I read that you used to call DH, Dick Head. When my 44 yr old daughter was about 20, one day she said, “just what is a dick head anyway?” Something about her tone just made us laugh so hard and now every time I hear the term, I just have to laugh. Some people even call a dick a head, and I’ve seen cartoons of a penis with a head, but still not sure what a dickhead is, although I have called a few men that over the years. I am not nearly where I had hoped to be with weight by now, but I agree that seeing the sizes we wear go down is a wonderful feeling.

Vicki, first of all we will never give up on you. So don’t think we will let you give up! Got it? Good! Your long weekend sounds great. I hope you enjoy the time with your mom and siblings. Just remember that we never know when they won’t be with us any longer and cherish the time together.

Toni, glad the “big squeeze” wasn’t too bad. Yes, they do seem less painful than they used to. I wonder why that is? It sounds like you could use some rest. Glad you are exploring all the Ys in the area and getting in your exercise. It has stopped raining here, although we got a lot yesterday, but it is about 10 degrees cooler today. The best part is the humidity is down. Yesterday a local weather man said the humidity was so high that it felt like “weather you could wear”. I hadn’t heard that before.

Carol, so sorry about your bike mishap! Just glad it wasn’t any worse. You know us older people have to be extra careful when we are playing. The next time he stops, you stop too.

Barbie, glad you survived the dentist appointment. I go to the periodontist 3 times a year also. The funny thing is, that the cleaning and check up by him is less expensive than a cleaning and check up by my regular dentist. The hats sound cute for your line dancing.

Sylvia, glad you made it home and things are getting back to normal. I hate having to go to the bathroom in all the public bathrooms. I don’t need water pills, because I drink constantly which causes its share of bathroom stops. I know the dogs are so happy to have you home.

Lillian, I hope you start feeling better soon. Are the fires any danger of going your way? Take care.

Mary, congrats on your new necklace. At least you don’t have to buy an outfit to wear it with. I love live auctions but just about everything I go to is a silent auction or a chance where you have put your tickets in for things you’d like to win.

Katla
    , glad you got the jeans but worry about you being able to walk in them. :s LOL There are so many dangerous things in life these days. *laffin’*

Joyce, Coastal Carolina is right up the road from me, maybe 5 miles. My daughter went there for a couple of years while we were living in Charlotte. I hope your nephew enjoys it here. We are always happy to get good kids move into the area.

Mary, we have our neighborhood garage sale a week from tomorrow, so I need to get busy sorting and pricing things. Yes, I think if you haven’t used it in 6 years, you can live without it. I hope your sale is successful.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

While we were on the cruise, there was a Harley Bike Rally here, which means thousands of bikers and lots of traffic. We missed it but starting today is another bike rally that goes through Memorial Day. This one has even more traffic problems with closed off streets, one way traffic and pedestrian lanes many places. There is a traffic loop that takes you 30 miles around to get to a certain area of the beach. Needless to say, we will stay pretty close to home while this event is going on. Last night when taking my friend to the airport, there was a multi-car wreck on the highway, in addition to the rain and it took us an hour to get home when it is normally 10 minutes. I just hope everyone stays safe and there are no fatalities this year.

I wish you all a happy and healthy day. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,723 Member
    Options
    morning peepheads -

dreamwriter - that is crazy about the laws in alberta, woah!!! sorry to hear that you had to witness it like that, that must have been horrible for you.

well, I didn't ride in and i'm not planning on doing the long ride home. I can feel my knees so I have to slow down a bit. 3 day weekend and Kirby has to work so it's me and the kids (3dogs) for 3 fun filled days. we were invited to 2 get togethers. we probably will be riding to both but we'll see. gotta make sure I don't get to drunk or else I won't be able to ride home, lololol
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It's a happy bright sunshiny day. B)

I'm still scrambling to get everything done for my visitors. Still have a few last minute things to buy. Menu: Spinach lasagana (2 kinds one with/without mushrooms), Greek salad, roasted cauliflower, cesear salad and strawberry shortcake. Lasagana was a special request by my boys... how can I say no at least they're eating their veggies :bigsmile:

Lillian: I'm praying that the forest fire is put out soon. Do be careful!

Thought for the day: "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. " - Leonard Nimoy

Looking forward to some wonderful memories today and hope you all have a wonderful day as well!

Carey - Edmonton

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Carol/peach, Kim N Cali – Thanks for the suggestions. I will continue this battle to the best of my ability. // I couldn’t log food yesterday evening either. Eventually I just gave up. Seems to be okay so far today.

Nccarolb – Oh my! I hope you heal quickly, and that there a no pebbles stuck in there.

Lillian – I hope you are able to sleep, and feel better soon. Take care regarding the forest fire. Better safe than sorry.

Joyce – get that Mammo. We want you around as long as possible.

Sharon – So sorry about your friend, and that you had to witness such a tragedy. I would imagine those nightmares would come for years. I hope you find peace. Hugs for all the family trouble, and wishes that the Therapy is helpful and productive. // One thing I will do today is search the Internet for things to do Saturday and Sunday while DH is not working, in hopes that we can start “refilling my empty love tank”. Winery or beer tour, see a Comedian, Antiquing, walking around the neighborhood holding hands? We’ll have to see how badly he wants to fix what he broke.

Cynthia – congrats on your guy/angel. I hope you feel better soon.

Last night I decided to increase my planks even more. I made all 3 directions for 60 seconds each. I do need to stand and stretch a little more often today, but that’s good for me too. My knee is not much better, so 10 minutes on the bike was a challenge, but I survived that too. Today at lunch will be the hand bike. I have some weird cut or pimple on the underside of my tongue that rubs on my teeth, so soft foods, fruit, etc to eat for awhile. If I can keep this up, my chart is going to be brilliant and colorful, and the lines will keep moving down, down, down, just like I want. I’m really feeling it so far today.

Janet – in my opinion, it takes about ½ hour to get anywhere in the Milwaukee area, whether near or far. Pewaukee isn’t too far west of Milwaukee, so I’m certain you and your friend will be able to find plenty of things to do. I actually live on the south side of West Allis (the Rupena’s neighborhood). I either didn’t know or had forgotten that you used to live around here. Why would DH want to subject himself to negative 30 degree weather when nice weather is also an option? Because men are crazy. I have been to GermanFest, SummerFest, and GreekFest, but have never been to IrishFest. I’ll bet it is just as much fun as the rest. SummerFest got unsafe for awhile (as did State Fair), but the “Officials” looked over what went wrong, and what could be better, and I believe it is getting better. I always take the bus from a Park-n-Ride.

Here is a link to most of the Milwaukee Festivals: http://www.findfestival.com/wisconsin/milwaukee/
    There is always a time/place to make a good time.

Pip - yes, keep the consumption under control, so you will be around much longer. Wisconsin does have a OWI (operating while intoxicated) law, though I don't know all the fine details.

A patient brought Leinie's Grapefruit Shandy yesterday, but only 1 bottle, so I didn't get to taste it. It sure sounds good though. Last week someone brought me Gluten Free Lite, and Redd's Watermelon ale. I am saving those for Country USA with my sister next month. 1/2 of a bottle should be perfect before bed.

Time to research fun things to do this weekend.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    Yum Carey! Thought you were the one who couldn't cook! Sounds delish!

My food, house, garden are all ready for the onslaught. I've just woken up from a lovely nap, so I'm rarin' to go. :laugh:

Won't be long now! :D

Got some new arch supports on elastic that I can wear with slippers. They were dirt cheap, so I thought they were worth a try. I do arch exercises every day.

My friend with cancer now has it in her spine and nodules in her trachea and lungs. She is feeling very anxious and depressed. She has a new amitase inhibitor to try and bone injections for strength. :'(
    Another friend I went on a cancer week with is at her last. She is still blogging. Amazing woman. ♥

I hope I continue to be symptom free. :ohwell: and I am so grateful for my eight years clear since diagnosis. Feel a bit mortal right now.

Love you all, Heather UK
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning (barely)! Thanks for all of the concern about my biking accident. Other than another scar to add to my collection, I am fine. I don't believe I will be taking my new capri pants on my trip next week, though. :neutral:

The preacher who was supposed to send me her info yesterday, finally did. Evidently her email and my email don't like each other. I needed some questions answered, but, at this point, I'm having to use best judgement and go on with it. I do wish she would call, though!

In any case, it's been a pretty quiet morning other than people calling me instead of listening to the message left by our automated phone calling system. Oh, well, happens every time!

I've been finalizing some things for my trip next week. I think I'm going to the Sixth Floor Museum on Monday afternoon after I get settled into my room. It's 1/2 mile away, so an easy walk. I bought my ticket for the trolley tour and have written down some options for my full free day on Tuesday. I've pretty much decided against the foodie tour--it's an awful lot of money and there are lots of free things to do all around my hotel. I think I've decided to walk (about 1 mile) to Klyde Warren Park that also hosts food trucks. I will explore the park, get my lunch there, and then go around the corner to the Dallas Museum of Art. If I feel like it, I will then go around another corner to the Nasher Sculpture Museum. There are a couple of other free things right around that area if I still have energy and gumption left. I've printed a lot of maps! I will need to figure out where I'm going to eat dinner on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. I'm about searched out right now, so will check that out some more when I get there.

I'm off to get a finish up the last couple of things before I leave. TTYL

Carol in NC
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    For all the ones struggling with your health, and the health of those you love, it keeps my petty little ouchies in perspective--I hope there is good news on all fronts.

For the US folks starting a three-day Memorial Day weekend, my family and I remember, and we honor those who gave their lives in the service of our country. Please be safe.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    SSC1958 wrote: »
    It's a happy bright sunshiny day. B)

I'm still scrambling to get everything done for my visitors. Still have a few last minute things to buy. Menu: Spinach lasagana (2 kinds one with/without mushrooms), Greek salad, roasted cauliflower, cesear salad and strawberry shortcake. Lasagana was a special request by my boys... how can I say no at least they're eating their veggies :bigsmile:

Lillian: I'm praying that the forest fire is put out soon. Do be careful!

Thought for the day: "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. " - Leonard Nimoy

Looking forward to some wonderful memories today and hope you all have a wonderful day as well!

Carey - Edmonton

do you deliver?????????????????????????
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    nd5ndnsjnrh1.jpg
    If it works from my iPhone this is a shirt for Country USA. I bought one for my sister too
  • pipcd34
    Options
    lolol terri_mom, my kind of shirt. however, I have WAY TOO MANY t-shirts.
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm getting better at it Heather, they say practice makes perfect...still got a long way to go... o:) Decided I can do anything I put my mind to... so I'm putting my mind to it. :smiley:

Pip...LOL I'm expensive...but I could be convinced :laugh:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,365 Member
    Options
    All gone to bed. Love them all soooooo much. ♡♥♡♥
    DS#2 still doesn't know he has a surprise night away tomorrow! We coached each other what to say when he asked "What are we doing tomorrow ?" Had a whole spiel ready! He has NO idea! DDIL has packed a secret bag for him so he will get in the car knowing nothing. :laugh: She will set the satnav and drive off.
    My grandchildren are darlings and went to bed like lambs. :-) We wilk see what happens tomorrow night. DGD is a bit of a mummy's girl and might be upset when she disappears.

Fish pie was ace! Buckwheat orange cake good. Hope the kids sleep the night.

Have a good long weekend folks! Katla hope you managed your riding lesson. I know how much it means to you. <3

We are also on a bank holiday. Don't actually know how long the family are staying. :ohwell: Have nothing prepared foodwise. Whoops! Oh well, the shops are open. :drinker: And the pubs! ! ! ! !

Love Heather, happy in Hampshire UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Mary – Love the bidding war… makes me wonder if you had done it in small steps if she would have gone higher….

Carol – that looks like it will hurt for a good while!

Katla – a boating season! Yeah!!!

Joyce – go get the girls squished!

Carey – veggie lasagna sounds good! I have company coming next week, maybe I’ll copy you.

Heather – so sad to hear about your friends and so glad you are still free and clear! Glad your family is there and you will enjoy the grandkids so much!

Worked in a community garden for a couple of hours today, and then am back at embroidering.

I have a friend coming next week for Tues noon – Thursday noon… heard through the “grapevine” that the public library in San Francisco does free walking tours of the city, each neighborhood has a special tour, so we are going to do 2 or 3… so I am figuring out a picnic to bring with us for Wednesday noon, we may have dinner out. I am trying to keep the eating out to as few meals as possible as that is just extra cost and harder to keep the calories where I would like. She is watching what she eats too, but with a very different system so we are not always compatible, she is keeping the quantity down, without regard for quality-healthy-ness so for example a big salad is a no no while a candy bar is ok, as the candy bar is smaller… it is not that sensible to me, but I try to live and let live, I am not sure she grasps that there is a difference between quantity and calories… but doesn’t want to go there; so I won’t. I am planning plenty of walking so if I make some less than stellar choices I will have some room.

No plans for the holiday weekend… but I would really like to commit some time to working in my yard, everyone else’s has gotten attention but it is time for some here.

May goals:
    Walk every day
    Log everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week
    Week 1 – had a friend visit for a couple of days – went to our big second hand store (Savers) and for $23 got 3 pair of walking shoes and a pair of hiking boots – all very gently used. Score!

Week 2 – had Mom for a 4 day visit, tried some new recipes, salmon, shrimp and clams…. Yummy. Did a new walk with the dog that had a long tough hill, and we made it!

Week 3 – reconnected with my hiking friends and hiked Brushy Peak. Also made divinity as a test run for a candy class I am teaching this summer, excellent, and even better gave most of it away.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday here and HIGH cals at 2212
    Training: Wii Boxing, JJ Cross training, BFFM weights, JJ Belly blast, walk dog
    House: washing 1 load clothes, 1 load our doona covers, iron dry clothes, vac carpets, mop floors, re-make our bed
    Phew.
    Lesley in Tasmania