WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    The weather is still overcast, but is supposed to improve over the next few days. We plan to leave this morning, so you may not hear from me for a day or two. The weather has been so dreary that I wonder if any of our friends actually went. We may find ourselves with a lot of company, or none. Luckily, we enjoy ourselves on our own and with our friends.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back
    strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol. Accomplished but here as a reminder.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday.
    Had family get together yesterday. at our house.DD agreed with"lets not make it into a food get together"Very tired of that for several reasons. Anyway,I made 2 huge salads.She brought dessert & a veggie platter. Nephew brought iced tea........son in law went to pizza shop where he worked at 1st job & brought 3 largest pizzas.Boxed up leftover pizza for nephew.....so no leftovers.Just the way I like it.
    Weather has been perfect .....& no rain predicted till tomor eve.
    House is done,supper planned.Going to library in a few mins,then will have a lazy holiday.

KimWe have a couple neighbors who could be reported,but just isn't something I believe in.
    Joycemaybe your husband will feel better after he thinks it thru. Hope so.
    Carol have a great vacation.
    Pat

“It's not that some people have willpower and some don't... It's that some people are ready to change and others are not.”
    ― James Gordon
  • naiomi2015
    naiomi2015 Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

CarolSounds like a lovely Memorial Day celebration. Sorry your glasses needed to be redone. DH had that happen the 2nd pair were perfect. You're right about the chinese food. Becoming mor familiar w/the calories in foods is an eye opener for me.

Lillian Glad the fire is out. Although we had an over abundance of snow we too have had very little rain. Clean and plentiful water is indeed a precious
    gift.

Barbiecat Nothing like a walk w/a furry friend to refocus a day. Have fun with your company.

Heather that's very perceptive about you DGD's fear. Props to you for that observation

Mary Praying your house hunting is fruitful.

Well met my new boss yesterday. She seems very capable. I think she will be good for our organization. She is much more structured than my previous boss, and truthfully I feel odd person out when with her and the other two executive staff members. I am trying to remind myself that God has always found a place for me to do meaningful work. Just feels like a "change is gonna come."

We finally got up to Maine about 1:30 am. DH is sleeping and since I have a data signal I thought I would post.

Went over calories by 700 yesterday. I did not say know to desert at my meeting and then DH and I went to drive through on our way to Maine last night.

We will be eating out 100% of the time for the next 2days. We'll one meal at a time.

Naiomi2015 on the sunny 70F coast of southern Maine.

• barbaraedmo
    barbaraedmo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon from a very boring bank holiday Sunday here in the UK, I woke up full of promise but it was raining, but I had a strict talk to myself and went for a run a almost 5k but my calf muscle was tight and felt as though I was dragging my leg round.

The weather is breezy and a little chilly so keeping my mind off food and wine is very difficult.

Hope you are all having a better day than me.

Barbara
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,713 Member
    Options
    morning peeps.
    guess what i did, got my nails and toes did ! that's not the biggie, it's the color! it's neon orange like my bike!! i won't need the headlight on at night. my nails will lead the way!!
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Only part way through the posts but I must stop and get ready for work.

Mary - I think a better house is in your future. So sorry about the stress, though.

Kim - You worked hard on that yard!

Rori - ((HUGS))

Hope everyone has a good day. I'll catch you later!

Toni
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Cindy: Congrats on that weight loss. Looks like you're doing great on those goals too..Keep it up my friend!

Katla: I love the poppy picture for Memorial Day weekend...and here I thought poppies were red.

Carol in NC: Have lots of fun on that trip!

Mary: Sorry about the house, I'm sure the right one will turn up.

Kim: Love those fun things that you've accomplished.. Your plans for your front yard re-model sound like a lot of heavy slugging..that should burn up a lot of calories.

Rori: Sorry to hear about your sister.. Be kind to yourself and give yourself some time to recharge and regroup. I've never eaten souffle let alone made one maybe something new to try.

Michele: Woo hoo...no saddlebags what a wonderful NSV!!!

Janet: Good luck with the garage sale - I'd start high and then let people bargain and get a good deal. It could make someone's day :smile:

Joyce: I'd hire someone to trim those bushes.

Heather: I knew you wouldn't have to resort to the pub. :laugh: Chocolate parfait sounds yummy, I didn't know that it could be frozen.

Lillian: Glad the forest fire is out that must be quite the relief. Put your feet up and take care of yourself.

Carol/Peach: I have 2 pair of progressives (different prescriptions), 1 for computer and 1 for everything else. I've found that a computer screen is at a mid distance that isn't usually covered by the standard distances.

Barbara in UK: Good for you for completing the run even with a tight calf muscle. Find something fun to do that doesn't include food/wine. You CAN do it!

Pip: I'm picturing florescent orange.. is it blinking too? :smile:

Thought for the day: Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many, not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. ~Charles Dickens

Have a lovely day ladies,
    Carey-Edmonton
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Real estate question. The house tax value is $35,000 less than asking price. Isn't that a large difference? Would it appraise for that high price? Sold comps are all 15 to 20,000 less than asking.

Any advice is helpful!

Mary from Minnesota
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Mary ~ it sounds overpriced. Are they willing to negotiate?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Real estate question. The house tax value is $35,000 less than asking price. Isn't that a large difference? Would it appraise for that high price? Sold comps are all 15 to 20,000 less than asking.

Any advice is helpful!

Mary from Minnesota
    If you're working with a real estate agent, get the agent's advice about making an offer of a lower price.

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,223 Member
    Options
    Hi all. This will be short as it’s graduation day and lots going on! We went to brunch this morning after church.

Syliva; great nsv! I can read a book floating on my back in a pool and can stand up like you could in the water. There are several drives going on for the police officer. I know of a diaper drive at the Sarpy county sheriff’s office and at First national Bank of Omaha is a college fund for the baby. They had so much food given , now they are requesting any food donations to go to a shelter in her name (Kerrie Orozco)

Toni DD#2 is going to Morningside college in Sioux City Iowa and will be studying bio-chemistry in hopes of becoming a vet.

Barbaraedmo: welcome to the group!

Carol: it ;may take a while for the “lady bits” to heal!

Mary: best wishes on the house hunt

Kim: I have been hearing about the drought in CA, how bad is it where you live?

Rori: that does sound like a good ol’ case of post vacation/reality slap blues! I hope you find your way out of it! Sending (((hugs))) I’m so sorry about your sister!

Joyce; get the mammogram! Or some of us will come there and drag you!

Heather: ahhhh grandchildren. Our dgd does not want anyone other than Tanya looking at her, touching, her or holding or she SHRIEKS. DD spoils her to the point of riding in the back seat of the car where her car seat is so if she cries, DD is right there. She also holds her all day long including not going to the bathroom unless the bf is there to take over! OMG she will be a monster.

Carol: I never could get used to transitions lenses. I use readers over my contacts. Hope your new glasses work out

Mary: the tax value is nearly always lower than the appraised value. The comps near you will be your best guide as to what is reasonable for your house, but be sure the comps are true comparisons. Not sure exactly where you live, but around here (NE) it’s a seller’s market. If it’s not a good market there, can you wait to sell it until prices are better? Example: we have a very nice rental house that recently appraised for about $110 K, many close by houses sold for a similar price and the tax value is $68 K. Ohhhh I may have mis read...you are buying? Then it is reasonable to offer a price in the comp range. They can always negotiate. Your relator should be able to guide you in making a reasonable offer. If you aren’t working with one, I would suggest it. Hubby and I have rentals and have bought/flipped houses and we are pretty knowledgable, but would not do it without a relator.

OK gotta get up and go again. I wish this rainy weather would get up and go too. Holiday weekends should be nice! LOL. Take care all, Meg from wet and chilly Omaha

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    sorry I didn't stop in this morning have been running except I did take an hour nap late morning.. got up and 5 and spend close to 300.00 at 3 grocery stores.. I made a list and basically stuck to it... but lord the hubby had a fit..(nothing unusual)
    Went to see my DFIL and he was sound asleep in his chair, seems he was awake all night long. we couldnt even rouse him with a piece of candy,from there we went to Lowes...
    DH is spackeling and sanding so there is dust in every nook and cranny, and we are exsuasted.. we had the parade today but I didnt go... the tree guy will come back during the week after work to finish up...so we cant let the dogs out the back which means more walks which I guess is good for both the dogs and us... but..
    so I went around and dusted everything... put all the meats away.. and have oven roasted potatoes and will grill steaks tonight... also washed the kitchen and family room floors.. and of course my fit bit doesnt want to charge,,,, I am getting annoyed... I have to keep resetting it...
    maybe actually we will be able to relax tomorrow but I doubt it.. I cant wait till this is all done , and we move then we only have one blessed house to take care of.. I am sorry I am venting and I should be so very thankful for all the blessings I have.. I will shut up now!!! :D
    weather is just stunning today...
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    CA Water! Ug! The political struggle continues. I often wonder about how homeowners can figure out how to save on water usage and collect rain water but those spending "other people's" money can't? Is all that standing barrel water going to bring lots and lots of mosquitoes? What will happen to our poor farmers? What will happen to our state economy? And is the smelt fish worth it?

Vent over
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Mary, the tax value of a house has nothing to do with the market value. Cities all set tax values differently. What you want to look at most are the sold comps. Are they recent? Your Realtor should be able to do a market analysis on the house to give you a range at which it should sell. Has the market been going up there recently? If not, and the comps are recent and the houses are similar, the price should be closer to the sold comps. If the house you are looking at has added value over the comps, you add to make up for that. You always want a financing contingency in the offer that includes the house must appraise for the sale price. Hope this helps.

Janet
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information on tax value vs market value. The realtor is doing dual agency so not sure.

Mary from Minnesota
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Have been trying to read but not nearly keeping up and have not posted in a long time. Finished at work and finally retired again, this time for good. We have closed on our house here and will close on our property in Snohomish, WA on May 29. We leave SD on June 4. Planning 3 days travel, will have DB and DS to help load and drive the trucks. There is way too much crap in this house we have been living in for 37 years and my DH wants to keep and move too many things that we will not use and will only take up space. Has anybody used acepromazine when moving a cat? I have had two people recommend it, but never used it before. We will be three days on the road with her and the dog. Everybody take care, Sue in SD for a short time more.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

I try to read everyday, however I just can`t keep up with everyone :( . I do think of you all and wish everyone well!

Alison :) I know how hard it is when you`re renovating, I missed all last spring and summer because of it :( , but it was most definitely worth it, I absolutely love my home!!!

Mary :) I`m wishing you the best of luck in finding a home that`s just right for you and DH!!!

Janet :) How`s the traffic this weekend? I`ve been there during Easter and it was a mess! I think I would love to live close to the ocean...maybe a little private island somewhere...oh yes, I`m dreaming :laugh:. Glad you enjoyed your cruise!

Carol NC :) Yikes, I fell off a bike too, your injury looks much worse than mine did :# ! Hope you have an awesome time in Texas!

Heather :) Those gorgeous grandkids can really wear us out! I had my gorgeous granddaughters on Tuesday afternoon for about 5 hours, I was exhausted! I would love to be your guest (look at me inviting myself over :blushing:), I would love to just have a meal you cook!!! Good luck to DH for his operation :flowerforyou:! So sorry to hear about your friend :( .

Michele :) When is the pool party :bigsmile:? I`m ready!

Sylvia :) Love all the pics you posted, brought back some great memories for me! I loved Barcelona, Madrid...not so much! Love the jokes!!!

Rori :) I hate being in those moods, hopefully it will pass soon..sending you a hug! <3

Kim :) Sounds like your yard is going to be fantastic! You sound like you`re staying really busy too! Crossing my fingers for rain for CA!

Meg :) My second granddaughter did not want anyone to touch her except for her mom, I would pick her up and she would scream until I put her down, she did that until she was about 6 months old, then she decided I was okay. Whew...that was a trying time!

Pip :) Neon orange toes and fingers...love it!!!

I know I`ve missed a lot of people :( .... sending everyone good wishes!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Hi all: Have been trying to read but not nearly keeping up and have not posted in a long time. Finished at work and finally retired again, this time for good. We have closed on our house here and will close on our property in Snohomish, WA on May 29. We leave SD on June 4. Planning 3 days travel, will have DB and DS to help load and drive the trucks. There is way too much crap in this house we have been living in for 37 years and my DH wants to keep and move too many things that we will not use and will only take up space. Has anybody used acepromazine when moving a cat? I have had two people recommend it, but never used it before. We will be three days on the road with her and the dog. Everybody take care, Sue in SD for a short time more.

we moved our cat from indiana to washington w/no meds. just hung out in the u-haul truck w/us, hung out on the dashboard
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    rowing machine- 15min, 79aw, 2734 meters/1.7mi = 97c
    rope pull- 15.12min, 86ftpmin, 1426ft, lvl 7, midset = 81c
    skip, jump, step bench, scissors, etc., 45min = 399c
    other- stretch- 10min, = 37cal
    total cal 614

all the going up and down the stairs, going to costco, laundry and stuff should be some calories too. i'm not wearing my heart rate monitor so i'm not counting them.. oh well
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Has anybody used acepromazine when moving a cat? I have had two people recommend it, but never used it before. We will be three days on the road with her and the dog. Everybody take care, Sue in SD for a short time more.

The first time I moved Haifa about three hours away, I got a tranquilizer from the vet. It freaked me out so much that I kept poking him to make sure he was still alive. When we moved from N. California to NW Washington---three days driving, two nights in motels----I didn't medicate him and he was fine.