Was really fat. Now less fat. Stuck being less fat. So why?

Options

Replies

• keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    ktekc wrote: »
    1800 might be to much for you now that you have lost so much. Have you tried refreshing your goals recently? Sometimes mfp changes it as you lose but I've had to manually redo mine a few times.

A 230 pound male doesn't need less than 1800.

Are you kidding me? So if a 5'5 man at 40% body fat that sits on his *kitten* all day would need more calories than 1800? You full specs before you spit out your opinion about how much calories should be taken in daily! If he was 230 pound at 6% BF I'd agree but seriously? Lack full information on the person you can't make assumptions like that.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

OP, listen to everyone in this thread.
    I repeat, listen to everyone in this thread.
    You have been given great advice time, time, and time again from people who know what they're doing. People who have been in this scenario, hit their goals, and sit behind their computers giving free advice that works to members of the MFP community.

Do what they've told you to do: tighten up your logging, recalculate your calorie goal, and see your doctor. Do that for a month, and then come back. 100% accuracy with weighing your food and using proper database items. Recalculating calories now that you have lost weight and making sure that your activity level is correct. Seeing your doctor. Then doing all of that for a month.

You get amazing advice in your threads, and it doesn't stick; I've seen deflecting in this thread. This isn't easy, but with the advice you have, it's doable.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs and I noticed at first it wanted to come back really easy. I had to maintain that for a few years to get it to stay. you need to be consistent I think, you cant lose the weight and then eat what you want or you will constantly be gaining and losing the same 5lbs. that is just my opinion. I think you can do it if you put more dedication in.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »

I didn't say I don't run or can't. I said it will be easier. I'd be fast. My pace would be better. I'd be able to go for longer. And "get stronger" is another vague piece of advice. OK. So how specifically? If I can't lift myself I can't lift myself. It's not going to magically happen.

I'm sorry but having read the whole thread and was resisting posting until the post I've quoted. Stop whining, moaning and man up. What's your definition of running longer? I'm still 20+lbs overweight having lost 140lbs in a little over 2 years. See the profile pic - the medal I'm holding is from this year's London Marathon which I ran in just under 4:40, my last long run before my first road marathon was my first ultra marathon that took me just under 8hrs. How did I get so I could run longer, or indeed how I've taken 30+mins off my half marathon time whilst only losing about 7lbs? I ran, I ran some more and then when I felt like quitting I ran a bit more. Would I be quicker if I was lighter? Yes, without doubt. But its not an excuse not to do or try or train now. The same goes for strength, when I started I couldn't do a push up or a pull up. I kept trying, straining hard with little success other than sore arms, then I found I could pull up a tiny bit, then a bit more and now I can do full push ups, and about 2 pull ups (but I'm working on it).

And BTW I know that not losing is frustrating, I've been hovering around the same weight (about 20lbs from goal) for about 6 months but I know why - I'm not being as consistent with my diet as I have been and an injury has limited my training for the last few weeks. I know how to fix this but am hapy maintaining for now and will get back on track after the mountain marathon I have this weekend.

Nothing magically happens, not stamina, speed, strength or weight loss it takes hard work, effort and not looking for excuses or quick fixes. You can continue with this boohoo self pity routine or you can start training harder, weighing and logging more accurately and find a lifestyle change that you can sustain.

This is probably the harshest post I've made on MFP in 2 years but it would appear good advise is falling on deaf ears so I'm hoping for your sake a kick in the pants may have more affect.

5MUVZNW.gif
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    keola64 wrote: »
    1800 might be to much for you now that you have lost so much. Have you tried refreshing your goals recently? Sometimes mfp changes it as you lose but I've had to manually redo mine a few times.

Are you kidding me? So if a 5'5 man at 40% body fat that sits on his *kitten* all day would need more calories than 1800? You full specs before you spit out your opinion about how much calories should be taken in daily! If he was 230 pound at 6% BF I'd agree but seriously? Lack full information on the person you can't make assumptions like that.

While that's true. What you don't know is OP is a regular poster that a lot of regular poster like myself know.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    zanne54 wrote: »
    Your food diary shows logging only for the past 10 days. So, I have a question - How often do you drink more than 2 drinks in a day? I realize Sunday was Father's Day, and could be why you logged 8 PBRs. However, your body will burn the booze calories before it will burn the stored fat. If you're consistently binge* drinking on weekends, your weight loss will stall even if you're doing everything else "right". I can't explain the science behind it, but it takes your body longer than a week after a binge* to resume losing weight. I experienced this phenomenon 2 summers ago. At first, just calorie restriction alone had the weight falling off me. When I got within 30 lbs of my goal, I plateaued for the entire summer (June 21 - Labour Day), despite staying within my weekly calories, exercising daily and logging food accurately. The difference? I was binge* drinking back too many of my exercise calories. After Labour Day, I cut my drinking way back and 2-1/2 weeks later the weight started coming off again. I stopped drinking entirely for a couple of months and got to within 7 lbs of my goal weight. If my personal life had not blown up at that point, I'd probably be at my goal weight and in maintenance now. At least this time around, I know I have to severely limit my booze to get the results I want. I'm within 30 lbs of my goal again and this summer, I'll be losing weight instead of plateauing.

*as defined by the medical profession of 5 drinks in one sitting for men; 4 for women.

Well I'm not sure if that is the case but I do agree. It's hard to binge drink and lose weight. It's not impossible but very difficult. 5 drinks is a binge drinker. Wow interesting.

I KNOW! Some days, 4-5 drinks is…breakfast. Lol!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You can when you know the poster and they've made this same thread and derailed multiple threads with the same issues.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I am 153 pounds and I would be the first to die off in a Zombie Apocalypse because I can't run down the block without falling onto someone's lawn gasping for air. Now I can get on my bike and go for an hour and only feel like I'm going to die on uphills toward the end of my ride. I've been at it for 2 weeks now and I've put in nearly 100 miles. I'm getting better ... it's SLOW. I'd love to get out there and bust out 50 miles and not even think about it, but I can't, and that's cool.

I've been working on beating the last 12 pounds off myself. That is also going slow, and I'm having to make adjustments as I go. The difference between you and I is this - I listen to sound advice from people who have been where I am at. I also don't *kitten* endlessly about not succeeding when I know good and well the only thing that's been stopping me is ME and not being accurate with my logging of food and exercise.

So STFU and listen to what you're being told.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited June 2015
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Holler back when the doctor has the results of your bloodwork. The answer will probably be there.

61834627.jpg

stealing this too

61834627.jpg

9266932.jpg
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Your food diary shows logging only for the past 10 days. So, I have a question - How often do you drink more than 2 drinks in a day? I realize Sunday was Father's Day, and could be why you logged 8 PBRs. However, your body will burn the booze calories before it will burn the stored fat. If you're consistently binge* drinking on weekends, your weight loss will stall even if you're doing everything else "right". I can't explain the science behind it, but it takes your body longer than a week after a binge* to resume losing weight. I experienced this phenomenon 2 summers ago. At first, just calorie restriction alone had the weight falling off me. When I got within 30 lbs of my goal, I plateaued for the entire summer (June 21 - Labour Day), despite staying within my weekly calories, exercising daily and logging food accurately. The difference? I was binge* drinking back too many of my exercise calories. After Labour Day, I cut my drinking way back and 2-1/2 weeks later the weight started coming off again. I stopped drinking entirely for a couple of months and got to within 7 lbs of my goal weight. If my personal life had not blown up at that point, I'd probably be at my goal weight and in maintenance now. At least this time around, I know I have to severely limit my booze to get the results I want. I'm within 30 lbs of my goal again and this summer, I'll be losing weight instead of plateauing.

*as defined by the medical profession of 5 drinks in one sitting for men; 4 for women.

Well I'm not sure if that is the case but I do agree. It's hard to binge drink and lose weight. It's not impossible but very difficult. 5 drinks is a binge drinker. Wow interesting.

I KNOW! Some days, 4-5 drinks is…breakfast. Lol!

5 drinks was a pre game to go drink some more. And no beers in that. I used to hate beers.
  • keola64
    Options

While that's true. What you don't know is OP is a regular poster that a lot of regular poster like myself know.

Assumption hits again, I actually knew OP was a regular poster from reading it on a friends page mister know it all.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    @BFDeal, I responded to your thread recently about the splurge meal vs. maintenance (or something like that). I DO think it's partly your attitude. As long as you have the "victim" mindset and think that everyone else reaches their goal weight, why can't you? (not true, btw) You are setting yourself up for failure. Tunnel vision. Maybe stop focusing on your weight.

Find a new activity or hobby or volunteer and open your mind and heart to others. Sometimes when we stop focusing on ourselves is when our biggest transformations happen.

One of my favorite sayings: You cannot be the person you want to be on the outside until you become the person you should be on in the inside. I apply this to myself daily.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I know his history, his height, his activity level and his body fat. I'm not spitting out opinion, I'm telling you from a very educated standpoint that the OP shouldn't be eating 1800 calories. Excuse me for making it a blanket statement, this post isn't about all men it's about the person who started it. I have the information, you're the one assuming.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I am 153 pounds and I would be the first to die off in a Zombie Apocalypse because I can't run down the block without falling onto someone's lawn gasping for air. Now I can get on my bike and go for an hour and only feel like I'm going to die on uphills toward the end of my ride. I've been at it for 2 weeks now and I've put in nearly 100 miles. I'm getting better ... it's SLOW. I'd love to get out there and bust out 50 miles and not even think about it, but I can't, and that's cool.

I've been working on beating the last 12 pounds off myself. That is also going slow, and I'm having to make adjustments as I go. The difference between you and I is this - I listen to sound advice from people who have been where I am at. I also don't *kitten* endlessly about not succeeding when I know good and well the only thing that's been stopping me is ME and not being accurate with my logging of food and exercise.

So STFU and listen to what you're being told.

*Applauds exuberantly*
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Assumption hits again, I actually knew OP was a regular poster from reading it on a friends page mister know it all.

Except that you called me out thinking I'm making assumptions when I've exchanged private messages with him back in December when he asked me to run his numbers for him.
  • keola64
    Options

I know his history, his height, his activity level and his body fat. I'm not spitting out opinion, I'm telling you from a very educated standpoint that the OP shouldn't be eating 1800 calories. Excuse me for making it a blanket statement, this post isn't about all men it's about the person who started it. I have the information, you're the one assuming.

You stated that a 230 pound man doesn't need to eat under 1800 calories! How is one supposed to take that? You didn't put statistics in only a brief statement that would be taken in the context you stated it in.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

You stated that a 230 pound man doesn't need to eat under 1800 calories! How is one supposed to take that? You didn't put statistics in only a brief statement that would be taken in the context you stated it in.

Can't tell if white-knighting for OP or trolling a troll thread.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Holler back when the doctor has the results of your bloodwork. The answer will probably be there.

61834627.jpg

stealing this too

61834627.jpg

9266932.jpg

also stolen

stoleurjpg.jpg
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Can't tell if white-knighting for OP or trolling a troll thread.

Por que no los dos?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Basically it sounds like you have been told what to do, but you dont really want to do it. Maybe you are not ready to lose weight? Your mind and attitude and some of your responses just scream "someone else do this for me" like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

I have been at this for 3 years, lost 101lbs and MFP has been a wonderful resource and I have always felt like I got help along the entire way, whether I was still at 250lb or even now past my goal weight - I still get help. To make that assumption that "you all only help the skinny people" is *kitten*.

or TROLL!
This discussion has been closed.