"Asking if I've lost weight isn't a compliment"

Options

Replies

• R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Boo fricking hoo.

"I like your new hairstyle." "Why did you remind me of my old, terrible one?!!?!?!"

What a way to go through life.

^this! People are too darn sensitive. How bout: if someone is so offended they asked the question, just stop and think "THEY ARE TRYING TO BE NICE"?! Stop being so defensive maybe? If someone asking them that question honestly upsets them, then they should maybe do something about it so they can learn to take a ******* compliment.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    To get back on topic, maybe there is a line people cross? Maybe the person hasn't shared they are on a weightloss journey and isn't looking to input?

When you have lost 60lbs it's hard not to notice....and he didn't give me input.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I think if people are offended by it then they need to get over themselves as they are the ones who are encouraging all this crap in our lives where no one can say anything to anybody for fear of "offending" someone...even Merry Christmas is scrutinized now...happy holidays my butt.

Grrrrrrrrr the "happy holidays" thing makes my hackles stand up! It's Christmas, and everyone should have a MERRY one :#

So wait, hearing "happy holidays" offends you? Talk about thin-skinned! "Happy Holidays" started as a way to cover both Christmas and New Year's. Not to be a culturally inclusive phrase (although I'm glad it's transformed into that).

Personally, I take my holiday greetings in whatever form they come in. Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, New Year's, who caaaaaaaaaaaaares. I like Happy Holidays because it takes the guesswork out of it.

As for the article, she got into a facebook debate with her friend's friend? I hate it when people do that! No one wins and the friend in the middle often ends up feeling bad because both her friends are uncivilized.

It doesn't offend me lol. It's the point behind why we aren't allowed to say "merry Christmas" anymore...

That's all i'm saying on this subject. This really isn't the right thread to delve into this deeper...

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options

I think if people are offended by it then they need to get over themselves as they are the ones who are encouraging all this crap in our lives where no one can say anything to anybody for fear of "offending" someone...even Merry Christmas is scrutinized now...happy holidays my butt.

Grrrrrrrrr the "happy holidays" thing makes my hackles stand up! It's Christmas, and everyone should have a MERRY one :#

I really don't see why people get so upset about people who say happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas. We live in a world where mass murder is part of the daily news, so I say if there's someone out there who wishes you any kind of goodness, you shut the eff up and take it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    WTF happened in here?

yeah, probably should stop derailing this thread. It shouldn't have turned into a Christmas/religion *kitten* fight. Apologies for that.

LOL I didn't even know who did it - I was just skimming through and was like, "Hmm, yep, fighting as usual but everyone has good points....Ok, Christmas? Wait....religion?"

Pretty funny, actually.

I actually mentioned it in my comment so my bad...*evil grin*
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    FWIW, I grew up thinking Happy Holidays was just short hand for Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Given the two are so close together. There was nothing PC about it, no ulterior motive. Now I say whichever pops in my head.

You are correct. I once read it a book that "Happy Holidays" dated back centuries (couldn't find that in my quick and lazy search), but was popularized in the US following the 1941 film Holiday Inn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Holiday_(song) The scene the song "Happy Holiday" plays in is a NYE one.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

So wait, hearing "happy holidays" offends you? Talk about thin-skinned! "Happy Holidays" started as a way to cover both Christmas and New Year's. Not to be a culturally inclusive phrase (although I'm glad it's transformed into that).

Personally, I take my holiday greetings in whatever form they come in. Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Christmas, New Year's, who caaaaaaaaaaaaares. I like Happy Holidays because it takes the guesswork out of it.

As for the article, she got into a facebook debate with her friend's friend? I hate it when people do that! No one wins and the friend in the middle often ends up feeling bad because both her friends are uncivilized.

My point is people are "offended" when I say Merry Christmas...
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

My point is people are "offended" when I say Merry Christmas...

I've never run into anyone who has been offended by Merry Christmas". But I'm sure if I started a debate on one of my friends' facebook walls I could find someone . . .
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    We can so easily be offended these days. I would much rather have someone ask if I have lost weight, which I have, than not say anything. It would be nice if they told me I looked great, but people don't often think of how to say things as tactfully as they should.

I personally despise using the terms "sexy" and "hot", which magazines and TV seems to think we all want to be. I am married and have been for several decades and know I look good to my husband. I don't care to be sexy or hot to some other guy.

But if I do look great, say so. If you want to ask me if I lost weight, and since I have, I love saying, "Yes, I have" because then the person will probably say, "You look good," which is what I really want to hear.

70044776.png
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

It doesn't offend me lol. It's the point behind why we aren't allowed to say "merry Christmas" anymore...

That's all i'm saying on this subject. This really isn't the right thread to delve into this deeper...

Oh, was there a law passed? Do you get fined when you say it? Have you enlisted to fight the "War on Christmas?" LOL.. aren't allowed to say it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I know! After I quit smoking someone asked me if I'd quit smoking, so naturally I pushed them into a rack of dumbells!
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

Oh, was there a law passed? Do you get fined when you say it? Have you enlisted to fight the "War on Christmas?" LOL.. aren't allowed to say it.

ylwj6r1ujjjl.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    Options

@ogmomma2012 could you please stop derailing this thread...Christine has already acknowledged that she wasn't going to be part of it so could you stop too. wow...*smh*
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

@ogmomma2012 could you please stop derailing this thread...Christine has already acknowledged that she wasn't going to be part of it so could you stop too. wow...*smh*

Well wow-headshake to you too. I had moved on but it roped me in again. Plus, I'm bored, and angry. So deal. I'm too chill for this thread anyway. :wink:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have to say, every year around Christmas I see all these Facebook posts and stuff about how "I'll say Merry Christmas if I want!" and people getting upset at not being able to say it anymore...

... but I've never seen anyone get upset at anyone for saying Merry Christmas? I'd say I'm sheltered, but I'm very professionally and socially active around that time of year, so I think I have a pretty good sample size. It's like people get the idea of not being able to say it and pre-emptively offended.

ETA: Sorry to continue the derailement, I've nothing else to say on the Christmas thing.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Life is just more pleasant in general if you assume good intentions until proven otherwise. Having lived with clinical depression since childhood, this was a skill I had to learn but it has made a world of difference.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    She's just bitter because she's fat and hasn't done anything about it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    My parents in-law don't celebrate Christmas, due to their "religion". I still send them a merry Christmas card every year :naughty:
    I refuse to let anyone take it away from me!!

What privilege you must have, to force your holiday on people who don't want it.

Do you openly/publicly celebrate the 4th of July or Thanksgiving ? Because there are a lot of indigenous Americans who find those pretty horrific and would rather not have them forced upon them.

It's the same reason why you don't hear someone wishing Happy Channukah.

https://youtu.be/qUCNAnp2QAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSJCSR4MuhU