WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »

Alison: I read all the early Stephanie Plum books and then didn't enjoy them so much for a while. The newer ones that I've read lately are a total hoot. :laugh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

I must have missed the post about these books, but I am a huge Janet Evanovich fan! Love the Stephanie Plum character. Easy reading and makes me smile. I felt the same about the Spencer novels by Robert B. Parker. Always a good easy entertaining read.

Fun easy read!! Gayle Minneapolis
    17761776 wrote: »
    Katla49 wrote: »

Alison: I read all the early Stephanie Plum books and then didn't enjoy them so much for a while. The newer ones that I've read lately are a total hoot. :laugh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

I must have missed the post about these books, but I am a huge Janet Evanovich fan! Love the Stephanie Plum character. Easy reading and makes me smile. I felt the same about the Spencer novels by Robert B. Parker. Always a good easy entertaining read.

Fun easy read!! Gayle Minneapolis

About Robert B. Parker.....I recently watched the Jesse Stone movies on TV and decided to listen to the Robert B. Parker Jesse Stone books and am enjoying them, too.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Debby - I had to laugh about your description of yourself. We are very similar in many ways. I'm 60, 5' 4" tall, and weigh 170, but this is the smallest I have been in about 40 years, so I'm delighting in my tiny-ness every day. I feel better than I have in a very long time. I guess our perspectives are just very different. I still have about 30 pounds to go, but I started at 302, so I'm really happy to be at 170.

Molly,

Ha ha, I guess we are similar.

I am encouraged when I see so many who have lost so much. All total I want to lose 45 lbs. The first 25 I am working on now. I'll maintain that and then get cracking on the last 20lbs or so.

Debby from Northern California

• snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What is your secret for keeping up on this list??? I want to thank all for your condolences on the recent loss of my sister.

I lost my son, 13 years ago and that is when I found food to be a comfort to me. I've been up and down in those 13 years and find the older I get, the harder it is to lose. With this recent loss of my sister, I too, was forced to make some major changes. Not that I was out of control but still needed to "shape-up" or ship out in a box! I'm pretty healthy so far - have issues with low blood pressure that has landed me in the emergency room via ambulance ride. The last time, I really thought I was dying. They could not get my pulse, I remember them saying...

So now I have this high cholesterol - the good is high, the bad is too low or however which way that goes. I am waiting for it to arrive by mail for the exact numbers. THAT has me concerned as well as my doctor mentioned about my kidneys were just under what is normal. I mean, WTH???? So I want to lose some weight and in 6 months I want to go back for another blood test - and if I have stayed true to my eating plan, and my numbers are still dangerously high, then I might have to go back on Lipitor.

I always seemed to be in the normal to slender to normal weight range. I could eat anything. Now? Seems I just look at food -

Anyway, I hope everyone had a successful day.

Take care
    Debby from Northern California

• Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    :'(
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :) Debby from N. California, there is no secret to keeping up with this thread. Some of us have more time than others...the most important thing is to realize that this is a place to get support and encouragement....I log on while I eat my breakfast and read as much as I can...I also read while brushing with my electric toothbrush at bedtime...some days I respond to many people, some days I write about myself....some days I do nothing.....others are great writers and respond to many. I have found friendship and caring here and I want to know how my friends are doing. I hope you will keep coming back and become part of this community.

<3 Barbie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Sitting here with a CPM machine, oxygen, pain meds pump, etc. Lol. I Feel great, it probably Will be different when I have to get out of bed and walk in the morning.. oops 4 people here. TTYL

:):) Yippee.....I am so happy to hear from you....keep in touch.

<3 Barbie

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Fragmoss ... Yes, you are funny! There are other writers on this board ... You will fit right in!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Fràgmoss, what kind of clay work do you do? I have a pottery studio in our little downtown. I do mostly functional wheel thrown stuff, but honestly have not done much over the summer. Too busy with grandkids. My iPad somehow put an accent mark over your name. It thinks it's smarter than I am. Usually it's right.

JanetR, glad you seem well. Keep us posted.

Debby, this thread can become overwhelming. Just don't feel like you have to comment on everything or you will go nuts. Some days I read everything, and other days I skim. Depends on how much time I have. Normally I check in twice a day, sometimes three times. Just let us know what's going on with you.

Today I have had a rotten headache all day. I was so glad to get home. Going to bed early sounds like a good idea. I went in the bedroom to lie down earlier, and closed the door. Hubby came in to check on me and when he opened the door three dogs rushed in and jumped on me. Gee, thanks.

Tomorrow will be a very long day. DGD#1 has Girl Scouts after school, then all three kids have gymnastics from 7-8.

Good night everybody!

Sylvia
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Janetr- hope your surgery went well, sending healing thoughts
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Barbie - that animal rescue place must get lots of money from all your walking!

When Vince had the first EP study about 30 years ago, the hospital screwed up taking out the catheter and he has a blood clot. Been on warfarin since then

Did about 50 minutes of spinning today then volunteered at the Green Room, then bowled two games. The plan for tomorrow is to do a water aerobics class.

I don't know how many times Vince has said to me "I think you're going vegetarian". I'm not, I do eat meat, just not a whole lot. And I'm not fond of red meat. But load up my plate with veggies!!!!

Oh, I called the appliance place and the new microwave should be in Wed or Thur so she put us down to have it installed Fri. Can't come too soon for me, that's for sure. It's so funny how you get so dependent on something.

DJ - we don't know what is causing Vince's back to hurt. He hurt it a long time ago and every now and then when he does something, it hurts him. No real rhyme or reason. I won't buy anything with a horizontal stripe. Don't know why they're even manufactured. You can say again that it takes a long time to burn off calories and a short time to put them on

Carol - I have some pants that are a size 4 and then I have others that are a size 10. As long as they fit decently, I'm really not going to look at the size.

Yesterday Vince gave me the bad news....we will probably have to close up the pool...waa waaa. It's been so cool and the water is cool, it's been rainy for the past few days.

Beth - what a scary thing to have happened to your son

Tracie in WI - Vince likes things really plain, too. There are so many times when I put breadcrumbs and some spices on meats or fish, and he scrapes the spices off. Not that they're real spicy so I hear ya loud and clear about hubby wanting things plain. Sounds to me like you need a cat. Trust me, if the cat doesn't want you to sleep, you will NOT sleep. Jess calls it better than an alarm clock

Debby what beautiful cats you have there. I'm just not a big dog lover, that's all.

Rita - take care of yourself

terri in Milwaukee - I hate it when someone smokes. The smell.

CynthiaT - (((HUG))))

janetr - woo hoo!!!!! You don't look like you're trying to be 26, but you do look spiffy. All the best for your operation

pip - I never even thought of that about grandmalle's name. How clever! Is that really you and Kirby in that pic???

Debby - my sympathies to you

Sylvia - I didn't realize you had lost so much. Big congrats!

Becca - yes, it was "Tool Time". Just escaped me. Taking selfies with the bull reminds me of the people who run with the bulls in Pamplona. I can't believe how down to practically nothing we are, too. This being without a microwave stinks. Now I'll eat a lot of different foods in combination, but not Vince!

Miriam - keeping good thoughts for your son

terri in Milwaukee - As far as the mattress your grandmother got, did she also get the boxspring? I remember we had the same problem with MIL's mattress, but there is this kind of boxspring (I don't remember the name right now, a mattress store could probably tell you) that is like 1/2 as thick as a boxspring so that when we put the mattress up on the bed, she was able to get into the bed unassisted.

Lenora - so sorry about your friend

Tracie in Green Bay - Vince will ONLY eat corn, carrots, white (not sweet) potatoes. So I totally hear ya. I do try to make things that can be frozen that he'll eat. One of the things that helped me lose the craving for sugar was having something like salad with vinegar. I guess it's the unsweetness that helps. Some days I'll also have silken tofu and unsweetened cocoa

Linda/IA - awwwwwwww I won't show this to Vince because he'll be in love

janetr - thanks so much for letting us know that everything is OK. Now take care of yourself, ya hear?

Welcome everyone new

Debby - you CAN do it. I'm so sorry about your son

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Exermom- what pic r u talking bout. Last pic I think I put on here was Kirby and Judd before their MS ride on a tandem bike
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Joyce , so glad you found you electronic friends, it's amazing how we become attached to them. Today I forgot my fitbit at home, never did that before, and I felt incomplete,

Janet, good to hear from you and glad you are doing well.

Chris in MA
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Fragmoss, you have incredible willpower, I could never resist the donuts and chocolate. Welcome.
    Chris in MA
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Sitting here with a CPM machine, oxygen, pain meds pump, etc. Lol. I Feel great, it probably Will be different when I have to get out of bed and walk in the morning.. oops 4 people here. TTYL

Glad you are doing well!

Joyce- yeah! You are so lucky!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

:):) Yippee.....I am so happy to hear from you....keep in touch.

<3 Barbie

Will do. Also wanted to say I'd love to be part of your line dancing ladies.

Janetr. OKC

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Just posting to find my place.
  • janetr7476
    edited September 2015
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Janetr- hope your surgery went well, sending healing thoughts

Doing terrific so far, thanks :)
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Terri, I hope it got better for you at work after lunch.

Elaine, a HUGE CONGRATS on your good numbers from your labs. Since I started this journey, I have been able to get off of my Diabetes meds completely. Plus a couple of other meds. You keep up the good work and who knows the wonderful results you will get!!! Way to go.

CarolNC, I am so sorry about your BF. I know that has to be devastating not to mention awfully fast. I hope for his sake that it works out but I totally get your loss. Wow, not what you needed just now. (((((Hugs)))))

Irish Terri, glad the test drive went well. I know it would make me feel so confined if I knew I couldn’t or shouldn’t drive.

Mia, I hope your glass sale is successful and yes Hospice is a wonderful charity.

Heather, I know you will look glam for the party. I trust you will share a picture of you in the dress? The self-tanning lotion works great. Just put on thin and as evenly as possible. It will likely take more than one application.

Lenora, welcome back and a big congrats on your loss!! Gosh there are so many things your new granddaughter could call you. I’d think your DIL would just call you Lenora. One of my MIL’s grands just called her “Gran”. My mother was Noni to my DD. You could be GL for grandma Lenora. Or just Gee for Grandma. I sorta like the simpler names but like you say, as long as they call you that’s what counts.

Chris, how great that you started the 5X5 but what a bummer that you are now hungry all the time. I just saw a program on weightlifting that talked about needing to increase the protein. I wonder if that would help? Good luck.

Becca, the picnic sounds nice, minus the bees of course.

Mary, I was already laughing while reading your post when you wrote about resclupting your body because you had nothing else to do. That was a good one.

Linda, I can hardly look at the cute kitten for looking at your beautiful daughter. Wow. How old is she?

Yvonne, sorry you aren’t looking forward to the dinner check and I can understand how you feel. I hope you all enjoy the dinner and the time together. I wish some of our parents were still alive to dine with. I miss all of them.

Janetr, thanks for checking in with us. Take care and enjoy those meds. smiley-eatdrink016.gif

Went to line dancing class today and did another 2 ½ hours. Wow that really takes it out of an old lady. smiley-dance001.gif Many of the ladies in class are my age or older and they just keep on keeping on like it is nothing. After 1 ½ to 2 hours, I have to slow down and sit out occasionally but I hang in there a little better each week. Tomorrow I think will be a stay at home day. For now, it's off to bed.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Michele, thank for your nice words.

Janetr