WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ! ! !

Penny
    – It is so unfair when items are stolen. How does a parent NOT notice when a kid comes home with a new toy, or bike, or sled, or something. Anyway, I’m sorry someone stole something so new to you when you were a child. // Thanks for sharing about your gathering. It sounds like it was very interesting and entertaining.

TerriR – beautiful pictures. Love your dress. Thanks for sharing. My ex married his partner Steve about a year ago, and they had the ceremony and reception in their back yard, and dressed Hawaiian/casual. LOVE the idea for the flower centerpieces.

DJ
    – DS did use all 4 of his bowling balls yesterday. When they bowl on a sport pattern, it tends to change from one lane to the next, and he is learning to recognize what those changes mean in regards to what is the strength and weakness of each ball. Since I don’t bowl, I don’t understand. DH takes 4-16 balls depending on the event, but I don’t really know how many he uses at events. He usually only takes 4 to leagues.

Becca – Hugs for your elk, and your ignorant neighbor. “you can’t fix stupid”.

Joyce/Penny – I have seen someone on here post the term “mental-pause”, and I am one of the people who uses that term. I don’t mean it as disrespect, just that I feel that way sometimes. I see someone else said that many pages ago. That’s what happens when I don’t check in enough over the weekends.

Cynthia – Congrats on passing your quiz. I hope you rock the whole thing !

Karen – congrats on your loss. When I’m looking for something new and exciting, I turn to the Groupon Website, even in locations nowhere near me, because you just never know what will strike your fancy. Let us know what you decide. I am planning a Historic Tour of Milwaukee soon (a bowling dad mentioned it, and I told him I was interested). I would also like to do a winery and/or brewery tour. I once took DS on a Palermo’s Pizza tour, and that was fun.

MNMargaret – So sorry about your aunt. // Breathe !

Blankly – I’m so happy for you, and so proud of you. I hope your Mom finds the support she is looking for. I LOVE everybody on this thread.

Length of visit – I am rarely willing to spend weekends at my MIL house for numerous reasons. #1) she is a neat-freak, and I find it exhausting to follow behind everyone cleaning and picking up everything. And since she didn’t work outside the home until all 3 boys were grown, she strongly believes the wife/mother should do all those duties. #2) she smokes and we don’t. That means even our clean clothes smells when we get home, and the build-up on the bathroom ceiling grabs condensation and drips on me while I shower, and I think that is gross. I have never been invited to spend any time longer than a weekend at anyone’s house, but prefer to get a Hotel most of the time. Once while I was in College my cousin asked if she could visit “for awhile” and stay with me. I expected a long weekend, since she arrived mid-day on a Friday. 2 weeks later I politely told her it was time for her to go back home.

I am currently on page 62 of reading, so I’m going to post this and get back at it.

Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    4uji6naui06n.jpg
    Yesterday's walk around Walden Pond where Henry David Thoreau spent 2 solitary years writing.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's walk around Walden Pond where Henry David Thoreau spent 2 solitary years writing.

Wow! That is a beautiful spot. We had to read that book at school so I am familiar with the area from the book so it is nice to see a picture of it.

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    Purdy pic mikesmom
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thanks for the tip on the salmon. Thank you also for the info on your accomplishments. I will definitely look on Amazon for your book, and I'm not prude in any way, shape or form....so it should be right up my alley! Thanks also for the tip about Lisa in TX being an author. It has always been my dream...to write a book. I admire those of you who can do it. I can't seem to find the words to even start!

Tracie in WI
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    How I wish we had nicer walking routes nearby! Quite envious of you all. Beautiful photos.

Son update: despite a migraine, he went to work! This is improvement ... Now to get him to stay in school ...

Beth
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    miakoda40 wrote: »
    Here is what I made last week. Today I switched to yellow.

Mia in MI

u1y0c0gb0nh7.jpg
    Absolutely beautiful. You are so talented. Glass blowing is something I'm hoping to try one day.
    Chris in MA
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    have a good day.Have a cold,yuk.
    hugs jane
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    505977rqj0udfnmo.gif

Quite a coincidence here. This is the motto of an international charity with which I'm involved. It's called the U3A (University of the 3rd Age). We promote life long learning. Our local U3A has over 1000 members attending more than 70 study groups on a wide range of subjects.

Heather I run a Creative Writing Group for our U3A, hence the poetry, although I have been honing my short story writing skills too.

Pip Bravo! I am mostly off the pain meds. Only occasional use now.

Mary from Minnesota Make the best of the good weather. Winter is coming, (to coin a phrase from Game of Thrones).

Janetr Not sure with the time difference exactly when your surgery is, but sending positive thoughts for a good outcome and speedy recovery. I look forward to your return.

My thoughts are with any others about to have surgery, or suffering in any way. May you find the strength to endure those things that cannot be changed and the ability to change those things that can be changed, and the knowledge to know the difference. (Not my words, but too tired to find the source just now).

On the subject of blood clots, my surgeon has prescribed a six week course of daily injections (self-administered) to combat this eventuality after my recent surgery.

It's only 9.30pm here, but I can barely keep my eyes open. I guess it's a reaction to sitting up in the middle of the night watching the Super Moon. Trying to concentrate on Russell Crowe in Robin Hood, but even he can't keep me awake.

Also, I was out all afternoon at a Peace lecture. It's the first in a 10 week series on finding Inner Peace. I should be really laid back by the time I finish the 10 weeks.

Pax vobiscum.

Irish Terri
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm bummed out today. Partly it's my cold, partly knowing I've got to leave my island paradise tomorrow, partly all the work I'm in for over the next couple weeks. Then there's something else getting me down and I don't know what it is.

Now that's off my chest. Sweep it into the corner and let it rot.

Early this morning I dreamed about my mother. She was back to her own healthy, competent 50ish self. In the dream I went up and gave her a big hug, knowing she wouldn't be that way forever. :sad: On Friday the physiotherapy team is going over to the cottage with her, to inspect it and see how well she can get around. Hopefully they will allow her to stay for a while (with family to help) . She hasn't been there since that day in August when she fell and broke her pelvis.

It was sunny most of the day so I did some outdoor work. I harvested the potatos (took pictures, too, but can't upload them because of connectivity issues), picked all the black currants, rescued the meagre crop of dill, dismantled the rabbit fence around the strawberry patch, and mowed our tiny lawn. The yard isn't perfect, but it's in good enough shape that I can leave it for the winter.

Tomorrow is trash collection day. I forgot to wheel the container down to the road before dinner so I had to do it in the dark. That's such a big adjustment for me! For months at a time I don't have to worry one bit about it getting dark here. I see candles and flashlights in the summer and wonder why we have such objects cluttering up the house. They appear totally irrelevant. But now it DOES get dark.

Irish Terri, those table decorations were stupendous! I remember you mentioning them on your news feed but I had no IDEA! The cake was great as well. I had to look away quickly because the marzipan was calling my name.

Mia, I draw the conclusion that you're a glassblower. That's so cool! Well... glassblowing is darn hot work smiley-devil10.gif but fascinating! I can watch glassblowing for hours!

Lisa, I never for a moment envied you your restaurant circus and all its attendant monkeys, but those kittens... Gimme gimme!

Thanks Rosie and Mary for the moon pictures. We had the same phenomenon here, but in order to see it I would have had to climb up one of our mountains in the dark, so I didn't. Ah, well. I saw the total solar eclipse back in March, and will soon be seeing Northern Lights more or less whenever it's clear, so I get more than my fair share of heavenly phenomena.

To everyone else, you are in my heart and mind and I hope the rest of your day is great.

Ho-hum, time for bed.

/Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Mia, your glass is exquisite, absolutely lovely.
    I am so impressed with everyones pics , especially that gorgeous moon....i would have missed it last nite but my DMIL woke me up with a phone call to tell me about it so i ran out and looked at it!
    Thanks for all the adventurous suggestions for rewarding my goal. I am going with a couch 25K app on my phone, it is free and should help me with very baby steps to get me moving again.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, just a quick note; it's bedtime and it was a long day with lots of pain. I arrived at work more or less in tears because of it.

My brother texted me that Mom almost fell in the grocery store (he had taken her and was there). Apparently a combination of weakness and not eating enough. She had also had dialysis earlier in the day. She is better than she was a couple of months ago, but I don't think she will be back to her old self. Sobering thought.

Hugs to those who need them and cheers to those who need them, too! And thanks for the congrats on my quiz.

I'd better get to bed.

Cynthia
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Hope u feel better cynthiat60
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,327 Member
    Options
    Penny I would have liked to post them on my feed but it's not an option. I suppose I could post them on my thread for the others to see, though I would need to do it on the laptop as that's where they are stored.
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies – Well, I’ve skipped and skimmed my way through all your posts, but I think of you every day.

emoticon-animal-011.gif
    My weekend was filled with kittens! I’ve mentioned before that I was fostering a momma cat and four kittens for the first time. Two of the four kittens have been adopted, and momma and the two girls are at the shelter ready to be adopted. We took the two girls in on Sunday, then came home, cleaned the room, and picked up four new kittens. I’ll post pics but I was so busy cuddling them last night that I didn’t get a chance to take any pictures.

JanetR, Margaret/MN, and any others who have recently lost loved ones – I’m so sorry for your loss.

Becca – I need some educating. I completely agree that humans should not be feeding wildlife, because it just makes them keep coming back and getting more comfortable around humans. But how did feeding the elk lead to it becoming aggressive and being killed?

Meg – I have thought the same thing about clothes. I see some cute things in smaller sizes that I think would look good on someone bigger. But the plus-size clothes are all these crazy patterns that are just not my style. I’m really looking forward to the day when I can confidently shop in the misses department knowing an XL won’t be too small.

Terri R – The wedding pictures were lovely. Congratulations to your daughter and her new wife.

Gayle – What is Hogwarts – a challenge? I’m only familiar with Hogwarts as the school from the Harry Potter books and I didn’t know they were accepting new students??? :)

Lisa – They actually make cat formula for orphan kittens. Just thought I’d throw that out there as another option for you. I am fostering four orphan kittens right now. They are getting a combination of kitten formula, moist kitten food, and Royal Canin baby bits (which is a dry kitten food but just really tiny pieces). You can get the formula and the moist food at Walmart, but probably have to go to someplace like Petco for the baby bits. BTW, they are just adorable and how kind of you to take them in!

Beth – Oh my! Hugs for you and your son. I have a daughter who only drives back and forth to school on her school permit. How terrific that he was able to react so quickly, but how scary that must have been.

Holiday Traditions – I’ve always spent holidays with family. In odd-numbered years, we spend Easter and Thanksgiving with my family and Christmas with my husband’s family. Then we do just the opposite in even-numbered years. But, I know the day is coming when parents will pass, siblings will be too busy, and children will have their own families. Not looking forward to it, so thanks for the suggestions on how to handle.

Well, that post was longer than anticipated... Love to you all.
    Linda/IA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Terri in Ireland - surgery is about 14 hours from now, Tuesday morning, 7:30 my time. I enjoyed the poem, you're a very talented writer. I read to my hubby.

Penny - I did see the eclipse, but I have always wanted to see the northern lights. Maybe someday.

Linda in IA - thanks for the kind words.

Cynthia - hope you feel better soon (((hugs)))

Barbie and to all with the positive thots and kind words for my surgery in the morning, thank you. I won't be home til Friday afternoon but I think I can use my tablet while there.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    gc49pauzdiws.jpg

For all the new people, here is a before and after of me. The next pic is this afternoon, I sent it to my girls and asked if they would be embarrassed to be seen with me in my new outfit. I don't want to be 66 (almost) and trying to look 26.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    edited September 2015
    Options
    jyq75cs6a5rv.jpg

This is from this afternoon.

Love to all, take care of you and I thank you all for your support and kindness.

Janetr OKC