WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    So we finally put a battery in our digital scale. Now I can see what damage I have done. I had a sneak peak at the doctors last Monday - 166.

I am trying to keep busy and my mind occupied or else I sit and dwell on my sisters untimely death on the 8th. She is the first thing on my mind in the morning and before I go to bed. So far I am doing okay and trying not to do any of that emotional eating I did when my son passed away.

dg3xscgp3cm5.jpg

Our last picture together - Last Oct 2014. My sister is the shorter one. She was 56 when she died.

The husband and I are still painting the inside of our house. It seems with so many distractions, it has been one wall at a time. I'm not kidding! I think we started the first of Sept - I painted my kitchen cabinets and put up Martha Stewart bead board paint-able wallpaper and then my sister died.

Oh well, one wall at a time, is not so bad. It will get done soon.

• snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Janet, Wow, you are amazing. Good for you. My new role model.... :)

Debby from Northern California

• joanl9
    joanl9 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Debby - Sorry for your loss. It's hard to deal with losing a loved one, especially when it is someone so young. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Janetr – Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You look fabulous in your outfit!

Beth – How scary for your son! So glad he had the presence of mind to get off the road ASAP. He handled himself very well, despite being ill and in an unfamiliar area. Hope he is getting some rest at home and feeling better.

Joan
    Alabama
    89501702.png
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Beth, that is really scary about your son and the high speed chase. First lesson I see is that he shouldn’t even be driving when he has a headache or doesn’t feel good for whatever reason. Thank goodness he is safe. Glad he made it to work.

Debby, love your pets, especially the black lab. I have one and just love them to pieces. That is so sad about your sister and I love the picture of the two of you.

Rita, so good to see you. It’s been a while! Sorry to hear of your problems but wishing that you feel better real soon.

mikesmom1983, beautiful picture of Walden Pond. Thanks for sharing.

Pip, congrats on being off the pain meds, but you should take them if you need them. I’ve heard more than one surgeon say that your body heals better if you aren’t fighting pain. (Later) I see you did take one. Good. We don’t expect you to respond to anyone while you are having to type with one hand. I’m just glad you can check in with us to let us know how you are doing.

Penny, sorry you were bummed today but glad you got it out of your system and threw it in the corner. I laugh every time you talk about getting dark or staying light, etc. It is just so weird to us and so fascinating.

Linda, you brought up Plus Size clothes again. I don’t know if it’s the same everywhere but here I am constantly amazed (horrified actually) at the number of outfits that have horizontal stripes. Big women should not be accentuating the obvious by wearing stripes around a big body. Why do they sell so many???

Janetr, I love the pictures. I don’t think I had seen a before picture. I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow and sure hope you will be able to check in before Friday. ((((Hugs))))

Renny, good to see you again. Sad to hear you have been under the weather. I hope you are back to yourself in no time.

MNMargaret, glad the surgery went well for your DB. Will keep him in my prayers.

There were so many posts when I got home that I have been reading but not responding to as many. I had a HOA Board meeting this afternoon then went to get my nails done finally. I’ve only needed to do it for about a week so they were really grown out. The main reason I had not done it was just laziness. Isn’t that terrible? That is the one thing that didn’t improve with losing weight….I’m still lazy. But I did finish reading all the posts and I’m sending good thoughts to all of you. Congrats to those that have been successful and for the rest of us, we just have to keep on keeping on.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Pip, awe thank you, so sweet of you. I'm no where near you are BUT I'll take it. I'd love to lose 20# more, but it just doesn't seem to be happening, so I'm gonna work on maintaining and getting in better shape physically and see what happens.

Janetr
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hello all! It's been a busy day, but I still didn't accomplish much. I did call our vet and ask about Bruno's situation, and they asked me to bring him in so the doc could have a look. He pronounced Bruno fit as a fiddle, trimmed his nails, and sent me off with zero bill and a business card with his home phone, in case this ever happens again. He thought the problem was most likely his eating acorns, which have a mild toxicity and upset his tummy. So, tonight hubby was out in the back yard picking up as many acorns as he could find. It's a big yard (1 1/2 acres) and we have several oak trees, so it may not be possible to get them all. I love our old hometown vet so much. And his techs are so much better to deal with than those "fancy" girls at the chain store vet. I don't know why they have to talk down to customers like that.

Debby - I had to laugh about your description of yourself. We are very similar in many ways. I'm 60, 5' 4" tall, and weigh 170, but this is the smallest I have been in about 40 years, so I'm delighting in my tiny-ness every day. I feel better than I have in a very long time. I guess our perspectives are just very different. I still have about 30 pounds to go, but I started at 302, so I'm really happy to be at 170.

Mia - your glass is beautiful! More pictures please!

Irish Terri - the wedding pics are beautiful. What a great cake! I used to be a cake decorator and always loved the wedding cakes. The figures on the top are priceless!

Beverly - welcome! It sound like you are doing great so far! Stick with us, and don't forget to post those pictures of the Grand Canyon, when the time comes.

Cynthia - my son did the juice thing for a while. I think he got pretty sick of it pretty quickly.

Well, I'm going to jump in the shower then go to bed. Good night!

Sylvia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,673 Member
    Options
    Snavemom- I lost one of my sisters too- so sorry for your loss. My thoughts r with u
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi friends. Long day at work. Didn’t get much accomplished. I did finally get my dd’s fafsa form signed…I’ve been trying to do that electronically for days and have gone through multiple people at their end. As it turns out, some guy there finally figured out that it was an internet explorer issue and he walked me through it, so Lena can finally get her tuition award. I don’t know if I told you but one of my benefits at work is free tuition for kids and spouses at over 600 liberal arts colleges across the country, but she still needed that form signed.

Well miracle of miracles, DD#1 got a new phone with a new phone number about a week ago and this morning she texted both myself and dh and gave us her new number. I was in shock for hours. My new co-worked is doing great and I’m so glad folks around here finally listened to me!

DH came home from work sick and he looks awful…he actually has black eyes! He has muscle aches and nausea;

DD#2 was vomiting last week but that was up at college. Hope I don’t get it now.

Margaret: so sorry for your loss

Katla: I agree; I grew up in Hawaii and there are tons of great fashions for larger women. Maybe I need a LONG shopping trip lol

Pip: nice clean looking incision (doesn’t that just sound so nursy?)

Well I am exhausted and just now found myself asleep right here with my laptop! We had a sub at aqua Zumba and that was the best workout I have had in years! Too bad I can’t go to this instructor’s usual class. Sorry to bail. Take care, pathetic Meg from Omaha LOL

PS Hugs to everyone...it's the least I can do! :)
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Janet: you look wonderful! I'm a newbie do you have any advice??
    Terri: love the look, lovely!!
    Margaret: prayers with you!! My brother had cancer 15 years ago n doing great!!

To all the new, this is a wonderful group of women!!! Keep the chats going!!

Gayle Minneapolis
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Beth in WNY: Thank goodness your son was safe. :heart:

JanetR OKC: You have transformed yourself! Congratulations!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Debby: I'm so sorry for your loss. :broken_heart::heart:

We need to have a door replaced to the small storage room outside on our deck. We went to all the local "homeowner hells." You know the big chain stores I mean that sell everything from garden supplies to appliances. We had no luck but got some sketchy estimates on ordering what we need that featured long delays and hefty prices. Our carpenter referred us to a local builder's supply place. The prices are similar to what we heard at the chain stores, but the quality is better, the door will fit, hinges will be on the right so it opens outward rather than inward, it will include new knobs and locks that will match our existing keys, and it will be delivered to our house in seven days. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I watched every minute of the eclipse last night. I feel blessed. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

September Goals :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Debby- I'm so sorry for the loss of your son and the very recent loss of your sister. Nice picture of you and your sister.

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Debby what a nice picture to have with your sister. I lost my sister ten years ago. She was 59. Sorry for the loss of your son.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Margaret – Your prayers are much appreciated, and thank you for the kind words.

Katiebug – Thank you, the last thing I want is to be an old lady trying to look young. Lol

Oconnell - Thank you sweetie, I think that's the purpose of our group, to inspire, encourage and help each other. You too are an inspiration for your braveness and strong fight against the cancer you have face. Hang in there and keep you goals in sight.

Pat - Thanks for the good wishes for tomorrow. I'm ready to have it over with. Apprciate your kinds words, and my face to too round to wear my hair flat. :)

Beth – That was so scary about your son. Thank the good Lord he is ok.

Mia – Thank you so much. Your pics to are awesome. How exciting :)

Debby – lol made me laugh, thanks I needed that. That's a lot to live up to, being your role model. I'll think of Debby in No. Calif. Everytime I want to eat everything in sight. Thank you. Beautiful picture of you and your sister, that is WAY to young to have lost her.

Joan, thanks for the kind words. The kind thots are much appreciated.

DJ – thank you, sweetie, I thot I had posted one right after I first joined the group, but heck at this age who knows? Lol Thanks for the positive thots for tomorrow. Glad it will be done with. Hugs always welcome here :)

Sylvia – Glad to hear Bruno is fit as a fiddle. Wow, girl, I had no idea you had lost that much weight. You are a rock star. Hope you are feeling better each day.

Meg, wow what an absolutely terrific benefit. Very nice.

Gayle – thank you so much. After several years of consideration I had gastric bypass surgery, almost two years ago now. It was absolutely the best thing I've ever done for myself. Only wish I had done it years earlier. I lost very quickly with the surgery, but no surgery removes the food addiction or makes you “love” exercise. Lol I'm working on it, some days I win some days I lose, BUT I hop right back on the wagon and go for it. I've come too far to throw it all to the wind now. Hang in there, take one day at at time and it will happen.

Katla – thank you so much. The best part of all, as you are well aware, the transformation is not just physical. I'm so thankful for all of you.

I thank ALL of you for your kind wishes, good thots and prayers for my knee surgery tomorrow. I appreciate all of you so much. What a wonderful group of ladies. Also, if I missed anyone who commented on my pics, please know it was not intentional. I feel truly blessed to have you all in my life.

Going to get ready for the hospital tomorrow, we have to leave the house about 5:45 am. The next time I talk to you all, I will have a brand new left knee to match the right one.

Goodnight dear friends.

Janetr OKC
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Becca: Oregon Public Broadcasting did a story on the Elk at Gearhart last season. I'm posting a link so that you can see it online. I hope it works for you & that you find it interesting. This worked for me when I copied it and pasted it in my browser.

watch.opb.org/video/2365411696/

I watched it :-) Its amazing how big the herd is in Gearhart!!! Then you have the people living there, that are planting things that are like "an Elks Candy Store" and they want protection from the Elk coming into their yard...really? Such silly people... The Elk that come thru Gearhart walk down the middle of the streets and look both ways....its crazy... We saw the large herd take over the Seaside athletic field right off hwy 101. People were crowding around and driving came to a standstill. They were taking selfies with the large Bull...yes turn your back to him and say CHEESE.....its nuts. Can't wait until it gets cooler and there isn't the crazy tourists driving so fast around here. Im quite protective of my city, and its quaint charm.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    @exermom Do you mean "Tool Time" with the dude that you never see his whole face, just parts, with Tim Allen as his funny neighbor? Yep I am him!!! I yelled at the stupid Elk feeding lady from my balcony just like a mental lady.... Not proud of that moment....but my husband didn't drag me into the apartment like he wanted to. Wow that would've been embarrassing!! She just didn't understand that her assertiveness in feeding them is what spurs their agressive behavior. I didn't appreciate her condescending tone of wanting to "pray for me" because I was telling her my feelings. After my venting with her, and her going into her apartment, I stood outside for abit just crying. Being pre-mentalpausal is tiring....
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    @dreamwriter oh my last neighbor in California knew I was a nudist, but she would yell over the fence..."Are you nude?!!!" I would say in a hushed tone, "Yes Nadine, I am nude, how are you?" This was a couple that could be my parents, but still took us being a nudist family in stride.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    So, I am down to bare bones of my pantry....I hate months where we get like this.... On the good side, when I did my sons reduced price lunch paperwork, I had messed up so we were denied. When I called them saying nothing had changed and he had it last year, I found out I had messed up. Sooo, I had my husband fill it out, and got it approved with free lunch status. I guess Oregon Educ. system has mandated that all reduced price lunch kids get it free. So happy about that.
    Today was a good day with a morning 4 mile river walk with my TOPS gals, (my husband walks ahead of us). Then when my husband passes me, we hug and act silly. Afterwards husband and I got our flu shots at Fred Meyer, (department store/pharmacy/grocery store). My arm is sore! I asked the tech what different things they do when they have a question on the form asking if the shot getter is over 200 lbs. He said, (before giving me the shot) that they use a longer needle. ACK! Didn't need to know this!!
    After dinner a friend called me from up the street. This is how the conversation went: "I need to get my body in the KOA hot tub"...."meet you there at 7pm"..."oh this is Oreole"... I said, "alright I will be there". So we swam, and soaked and I came home showered and should sleep great. The KOA (camping place) up the street has a deal where its free for the local seniors around the area community. I have been going for a couple of years, so the grey swatch in my hair does its job! Having friends in their 70's helps too. Soon I shall actually be a senior so what is the problem....I am promoting their facility by telling other local seniors of the great deal.
    We do pay for swimming at an Aquatics Center the next city over. They are closed for maintainence...oh poo.

Can't wait until I reach the 220's in my weight. I can about taste it, I wish it so dearly. I am 230-232 presently. Sunday morning I was 230, then this morning I was 232. Life happens when you are busy making plans. I am going down this path, and my weight sometimes acts as my body's heartbeat, going up and down a couple of pounds...

All shall be well
    and all shall be well,
    and all things shall be
    exceedingly well....

Becca
    Oregon
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello dear ladies. Janet's, I loved your before and after pics. Not everyone can have those. You are such annmapiration to all of us. And yes, your outfit is wonderful. I would be seen with you anywhere with it on. Good
    I know with your surgery.

Have an MRI tomorrow afternoon. My neurologist used to do them ever year, then ever 2 years, then ever 3 and now she is at every 4. I don't anticipate there bent any difference in what it looks like. They have looked the same since 1997. And tha is the problem. I only have one MS lesion up there and it has never changed. But I have had 3 relapses and tha is why she finally diagnosed me from probable MS to MS. But now she is wondering . Charlie is the same, itching to get out and drive but he still has one more week on he restriction. As long as his blood pressure bottoms out for no reason, he should not be behind he wheel of a car. But he is a man. I talked to him about things that happened in the hospital tonight. He doesn't remember cussing me out at all, me leavin him for the evening or the day. He barely remembers our daughter and family coming up and they came up when he was over the really sick phase and getting therapy and doing pretty good. It's. Been almost 5 weeks now. Seems like it has been a year. There is a combination of medicines that are ordered after a heart attack in order to maintain optimal heart health. So one of thos medicines has now been decreased to a very low dose and tomorrow we stop another one of them in order to get ha blood pressure up. I worry about his heart now. I don't want any problems there. He has never followed the doctors order about his diet. He does excersise. I also worry about his heart going back in its irregular rhythm. ok Joyce,must stop all the worrying and let the doctors take care of him.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

DJ - Tune up for hubby=another counselling session. I'm sure the man could benefit from an anti depression pill. My DD suggested spiking his coffee with Adavan.

Mary- Thanks for sharing the moon photo. Amazing! We went out to a friend's farm and DH actually set up the telescope I bought him a few years back. Interesting.

Beth - OMG, that is so scary and especially for a newly licensed driver. Breathe a sigh of relief and hug him tight.

Mikesmom - Nice walk . Thanks for the pic.

Janetr - Keeping you in my thoughts as you prepare for surgery. Love the before and after photos. You look fantastic!

Busy day. Looking at vehicles with DD. Their cars are on their last legs.2014 Mitsibushi Outlander going up for auction. Nothing wrong with it except it was repoed . I hope their bid is successful.

Costco for groceries, gas and printer cartridges. Pick up kids, then off to guitar lessons for one and dance for the other. Then I went for supper with my sis, followed by Michael's and Pier One. She is so happy with the way her house is coming together due to help from her 2 nieces. I haven't seen her this alive in years. So nice.

Had texts and phone calls from that place all day long. I had to talk them through a few processes. Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to work I go. I'd say I was looking forward to it but I try not to lie.

-Sharon In Lethbridge on a perfect fall day.
  • Sunnygirl_2015
    Sunnygirl_2015 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    >:)