Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    hac125 wrote: »
    I comprehend quite well. Read the bolded sections of her posts above. As I said, her posts are indicating that she sees nothing wrong with fat shaming and has done it to her patients when they have been "snarky" towards her. She also said that she blood pressure shames when treating hypertension and pain shames when she is administering medication. Perhaps she was exaggerating on that last bit but the overall tenor of her posts is pretty harsh towards obese patients. This is a thread about fat shaming; it's my perception that she feels it's OK to shame patients who are obese. I do have a hard time comprehending that! :wink:

Uh no she didn't. She was making a comparison. She was trying to say that treating obesity and not turning a blind eye is similar to treating high blood pressure instead of ignoring it. You are completely misreading what she said.

Meh. Telling a patient that they are GONNA HEAR ABOUT how obese they are isn't treatment. That's the difference. This nurse and most of this thread doesn't seem to understand that. The fact that this woman is often the point of access to those in the ICU is not just sad, but concerning for me. This nurse also said that she has no compassion for those whose obesity brings them into the ICU because there are consequences for one's behavior. If that was ever the type of nurse that was treating my mom when she was in the ICU, I'd do everything I could to have her badge. But then again, I think people should be treated with dignity and respect in a hospital setting even if their own poor choices brought them in the door. Silly me.

She was telling us the patient's gonna hear about it. As for what exactly that entails, you're filling in the blanks and IMO letting your imagination run wild :laugh:

Nope, not really. She said just that and said she has no compassion for those who are obese. I didn't make that up. I do have an amazing imagination. One of my many talents, but that isn't what was happening...no matter how many emojis follow the sentiment.

So you can tell us exactly, or even ball park what she would, or has said in that situation?

More emojis just for you: :tongue: :bigsmile: :D:)
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    AR-Offended_Internet-932x752-e1413869542268.jpg
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I comprehend quite well. Read the bolded sections of her posts above. As I said, her posts are indicating that she sees nothing wrong with fat shaming and has done it to her patients when they have been "snarky" towards her. She also said that she blood pressure shames when treating hypertension and pain shames when she is administering medication. Perhaps she was exaggerating on that last bit but the overall tenor of her posts is pretty harsh towards obese patients. This is a thread about fat shaming; it's my perception that she feels it's OK to shame patients who are obese. I do have a hard time comprehending that! :wink:

Uh no she didn't. She was making a comparison. She was trying to say that treating obesity and not turning a blind eye is similar to treating high blood pressure instead of ignoring it. You are completely misreading what she said.

Meh. Telling a patient that they are GONNA HEAR ABOUT how obese they are isn't treatment. That's the difference. This nurse and most of this thread doesn't seem to understand that. The fact that this woman is often the point of access to those in the ICU is not just sad, but concerning for me. This nurse also said that she has no compassion for those whose obesity brings them into the ICU because there are consequences for one's behavior. If that was ever the type of nurse that was treating my mom when she was in the ICU, I'd do everything I could to have her badge. But then again, I think people should be treated with dignity and respect in a hospital setting even if their own poor choices brought them in the door. Silly me.

She was telling us the patient's gonna hear about it. As for what exactly that entails, you're filling in the blanks and IMO letting your imagination run wild :laugh:

Nope, not really. She said just that and said she has no compassion for those who are obese. I didn't make that up. I do have an amazing imagination. One of my many talents, but that isn't what was happening...no matter how many emojis follow the sentiment.

So you can tell us exactly, or even ball park what she would, or has said in that situation?

I don't have to. I can tell you she was going to make sure the patient (in the ICU aka means is in a life and death situation) is GONNA HEAR ABOUT IT and she openly has no compassion for those whose obesity brought them into the ICU. I don't need to create dialogue to know I would never want that nurse involved in my care or anyone else I care about.

Except you did, though. You just assumed the worst.

It's certainly your perogative to not want people with poor attitudes towards the morbidly obese to be involved in your medical care, or those of your loved ones. I just don't know how you would go about identifying them

• Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    I'm thinkin' crack head. But hey freedom of speech. Doesn't make it right but it is what it is.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

So I guess the fact I don't have compassion for those who have COPD/asthma and smoke means I shouldn't take care of those people?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

I don't have to. I can tell you she was going to make sure the patient (in the ICU aka means is in a life and death situation) is GONNA HEAR ABOUT IT and she openly has no compassion for those whose obesity brought them into the ICU. I don't need to create dialogue to know I would never want that nurse involved in my care or anyone else I care about.

Except you did, though. You just assumed the worst.

It's certainly your perogative to not want people with poor attitudes towards the morbidly obese to be involved in your medical care, or those of your loved ones. I just don't know how you would go about identifying them

It's pretty easy. When one spouts the hateful stuff that the patients are forced to HEAR ABOUT.

And yet you still keep avoiding my question.

It os also very clear you don't work in and likely are not friends with anyone who works in healthcare. We can say things that sound so much worse than this.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

I have a feeling "gonna hear about it" was an exaggeration.

I agree that maybe the way she phrased it was wrong, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out how choices can impact our health.

By the same logic, if someone has lung disease from smoking, and still smokes, I should say nothing? There are many people who have COPD and yet still smoke and then wonder why they have a flare up and need treatment. That is a direct effect of a poor health choice, and yes I will point that out to a patient.

As a respiratory therapist who cared for many patients who died of COPD, if I had heard a nurse 'point out' to one of my patients who was suffering from a flare up in the CCU that their misery was because they still smoked, you'd be the subject of a write up, post-haste. While people are responsible for their own conditions, they aren't stupid. And people who suffer from COPD suffer, ma'am, which if you work in health care, you well know. If a patient is suffering from a 'flare up', odds are good they're on a ventilator, if they're in the CCU. Family is likely in the room, worried sick. If I heard you say a word to them about why they're on the machine and suffering, in front of family, at all, I'd be pulling you from the room and giving you an earful, and then writing you up. And any hospital I've worked in would be backing me up. If we were lucky the family in the room, after an apology, wouldn't be suing.
    Compassion. Study up on it.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    My Mama said if you don't have anything nice to say. Then you should be still with your mouth. Love her for raising me. The video is a example of what's wrong with society. I feel nothing for this young woman. She feels her opinion matters. It hurts like hell for people to stare and say rude things. There is too much hate in the world. Rant over I only want to inspire and give positive feedback to my peeps. God bless you all :)
  • Not only does she hate fat people, she's a domestic abuser too.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Otterluv wrote: »
    Shaming has been shown to be ineffective and counterproductive. Body shame can lead to weight gain, not loss. No, that may not make logical sense, but humans are messy and often don't make sense.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v37/n6/abs/ijo2012156a.html
    I have often wondered how people in Asian countries have stayed so much more slender than in most 'Western' ones. Part of the answer, at least for Japan, appears to be an extreme cultural bias against obesity.

So perhaps the more nuanced truth, at least for some cultures, is that 'fat shaming' is rarely successful for the already obese, but it is effective in preventing obesity.

• ericGold15
    ejb060793 wrote: »
    I am obese. That is my only medical problem, aside from erythema nodosum (which is completely not weight related) and bruising tendency (which was caused by LOSING weight). The fact that people believe that all obese people must have adverse medical problems, such as diabetes, hypertension, and coronary artery disease, is concerning. Yes, obesity is a risk factor for many medical conditions, but just because someone is obese does not necessarily mean that they have medical issues.
    Just a few examples: Do you doubt that your joints are going through premature wear ? Or that your insulin and estrogen levels are high ?

Obesity is an illness; you are in the pre-clinical stages.
    Tobacco abuse up until the first cancer, stroke or heart attack is similar.

• ericGold15
    "afatpersonwholikesfood wrote: »"

So well written. Thanks for sharing
  • moeneyluv
    moeneyluv Posts: 5 Member
    This is Whitney's response. She's from the new TLC show. My Big Fat Fabulous Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

I always thought TLC was The Learning Channel. But then there was honey boohoo, the guy with 5 wives, 100 kids and counting, and now her. Crap shows and annoying people

• ericGold15
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I am so tired, though, of hearing people talk about how overweight people "did it to themselves", even on this site. When the problem is really just living a default life in our society with a human body. This is an obesogenic society, end of. It is statistically normal to be overweight or obese.
    This has been true for a decade or two if memory serves.

So in 1980 an obese person took personal responsibility, but when the population median was crossed it became something else ?

• ericGold15
    jokoh92 wrote: »
    I didn't watch the video but from reading previous comments, I can only imagine the stuff she said and although it probably would bother me a bit, for me, fat shaming motivates me to keep going.

I have been bullied all my life so one more bully is not going to hurt one bit. And you know what they say about bullies. More than likely she has an eating disorder or body image disorder and is deflecting her insecurities onto "Fat People".

Every healthy and fit person I know personally does not have time to think about obese people and rarely comment on them when they do see them. Why? Because they're in a place of total security and are happy with themselves for the most part. Sometimes they might comment and say that's sad (if its a really obese person that is) but for the most part, it really isn't a concern because its not their problem.
    Beautiful post.