12345679»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    blitz2011 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    You could write an entire book about it - still doesn't change the fact that it's a bad idea from a nutritional/health standpoint. More words don't make it any more legitimate or reasonable.

It's a bad idea and I hope that anybody who reads this thread in the future pays attention to the multitudes of people who have told you so and explained why, rather than focusing on your unhealthy and counterproductive plan.
    Where is your evidence it is unhealthy? There are thousands success stories out there, there have been people who have got all the medical tests done and then done it and are far healthier when done. Just because something is unconventional and you have not tried it does not make it unhealthy. Usually people do this because their current lifestyle is unhealthy and this helps with bad habits and is intended as a sort of kickstart not a solution inonitself.

Protein and fat are ESSENTIAL for proper health and longer term, life. Asking for evidence of why not taking them in is bad for you is like asking for evidence of why not drinking anything for 30 days is not advisable.
  • blitz2011
    blitz2011 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    You could write an entire book about it - still doesn't change the fact that it's a bad idea from a nutritional/health standpoint. More words don't make it any more legitimate or reasonable.

It's a bad idea and I hope that anybody who reads this thread in the future pays attention to the multitudes of people who have told you so and explained why, rather than focusing on your unhealthy and counterproductive plan.
    Where is your evidence it is unhealthy? There are thousands success stories out there, there have been people who have got all the medical tests done and then done it and are far healthier when done. Just because something is unconventional and you have not tried it does not make it unhealthy. Usually people do this because their current lifestyle is unhealthy and this helps with bad habits and is intended as a sort of kickstart not a solution inonitself.

http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-9343(13)00390-2/pdf

http://m.netdoctor.co.uk/diet-and-nutrition/healthy-eating/juice-diet-dangers.htm

http://m.livescience.com/48887-juice-cleanse-dangers.html

And those all talk about juice cleanses up to 10 days.
    There is zero evidence there, it's all opinionated "might be" and "could be" no proof and mostly bashing companies selling detox packs, I have done it and felt the benefits.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the invite, but I won't be able to make it sorry. You're gonna hurt yourself.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

http://m.netdoctor.co.uk/diet-and-nutrition/healthy-eating/juice-diet-dangers.htm

There is zero evidence there, it's all opinionated "might be" and "could be" no proof and mostly bashing companies selling detox packs, I have done it and felt the benefits.

Lack of protein and fat is bad for your health. There's minimum requirements for a reason.
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/43411/1/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf
    http://foris.fao.org/preview/25553-0ece4cb94ac52f9a25af77ca5cfba7a8c.pdf

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Nobody is trying to convince you - your mind is obviously made up and you're going to do it no matter what anybody else says. It's more for the benefit of other people who may read this thread in the future, who hopefully have more sense and will listen to reason.

You obviously have no grasp on basic nutritional concepts - the need for protein and fats and their role in the function of muscles, organs, hormonal processes, CNS, etc. There's no sense telling you to do the research, because you won't - but maybe others will before they jump headfirst into an unsafe, unhealthy and ridiculous crash diet which will leave them more screwed up than they were before.

It helps absolutely nothing with bad habits. It's introducing yet another bad (and unsafe) habit and teaches you nothing about eating well-rounded, portion controlled meals. The whole "kickstart" thing is fad diet/scam lingo - the metabolism is not a motorcycle, you don't "kickstart" it. People who "do it because their current lifestyle is unhealthy" are just trading one unhealthy existence for another. It's like quitting booze and taking up smoking three packs of cigarettes a day instead.

The only unfortunate thing is that you won't come back after 60 days with a follow-up thread to show before and after pictures. People seeing you with your hair falling out, withered up skin and massive loss of lean body mass would tell the story better than anybody's warnings have thus far.
  • Greenline30
    Greenline30 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Blitz, I won't debate whether juicing is healthy or unhealthy. I have juiced and felt well during a fast, so I get it. My longest juice fast was 25 days and I felt fine during and after.That aside... there is no argument that you are taking a shortcut to lose weight. You are. There is no denying that. I challenge you to question why you are choosing to yet again take a shortcut. My question is why not just do the work and really develop the healthy habits you need to sustain your weight loss?

Let's say you lose the weight and then regain it again, do you condone yet another juice fast? Is juice fasting the best way to lose weight in your eyes? I can tell you with all certainty it is not. I have done many many juice fasts for weight loss and believe me there are repercussions to that. EVERY TIME after the fast I would said that I would not put the weight back on, but I did every time. Not immediately (I made healthy choices for a while), but it always came back. I do not wish the same for you.

Also, juicing fasting DOES NOT teach you how to develop healthy habits. Practicing healthy habits does. When you juice fast you are denying yourself the ability to eat, cook, and develop a healthy relationship with food. There is nothing about that that teaches you anything about how to eat well and make healthy food choices in the long run.

Any way you slice it op you are choosing to take a shortcut and therein lies the problem. Most anyone with tell you that the best way to lose weight is not fast. Especially twice or more times... the line needs to be drawn somewhere.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wow, I admire your willpower to not pick off of her plate. If you can do that, then you should have no probs losing weight when you get back to eating normal food.

Why are you supporting such an unhealthy, extreme approach @christinev297

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Wow, I admire your willpower to not pick off of her plate. If you can do that, then you should have no probs losing weight when you get back to eating normal food.

Why are you supporting such an unhealthy, extreme approach @christinev297

Because I know no amount of preaching and nagging from us is going to change his mind.

I couldn't last one whole day doing a juice fast, let a lone 60!! Doing this would require a hell of a lot of determination and willpower. If he can last 60 days, then he can do anything, including losing the weight on a regular calorie deficit eating real food. This is what I'm trying to get across to him, unsuccessfully obviously.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Words of wisdom from Alan Aragon..........

ah, the fad of juicing..

here's a little 101 for you.

when you juice, unless you scarf down the pulp stuck in the discard receptacle of your juicing machine, your're missing out on a good grip of phytochemicals - nonstarchpolysaccharides (NSPs) & other X-factor nutrients locked within the cell wall of the structural component of the plant. these things get kicked out during the juicing process.

my advice: take a daily multi, and in addition to that, eat the whole fruit or vegetable. otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of the health & digestive benefit. whole uneviscerated foods should be the foundation of your vegetable & fruit intake. when you juice stuff, not only do you increase the rate of absorption (and calorie density) exponentially compared to consuming the whole food, you lower the satiating capacity of it as well. this is not optimal, unless you're on a weight gain mission.

ps, this is NOT to be confused with blending stuff up in a food processor or blender & consuming all the contents. i'm talking about juicers, which effectively kick out much of the reason you consume vegetables & fruits in the 1st place. juicing is a practice perpetuated by pseudoscientists (aka quacks), & often times the lay public is the victim.

sorry to burst your bubble about this, but i gotta deliver the facts.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I also urged him up thread to at least consider using a blender instead of a juicer and consider adding protein and fats to his concoctions.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,

JustSomeEm
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.