Salt Water Flush?

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I'm so happy that this thread is still going. It's nice to see that one possible, though perhaps not advisable, weight loss method post is still getting so many views!

It was a great question, OP!

It isn't a weight loss method.

It might have a use as a laxative. Recommending the use of laxatives for weight loss is encouraging dangerous behavior.

How is she recommending this?

Besides her saying "We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!" about the topic? Or have you not read her posts?

Enough not to cherry pick. Read closely and you'll notice she isn't recommending it. It's a neutral post.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy that this thread is still going. It's nice to see that one possible, though perhaps not advisable, weight loss method post is still getting so many views!

It might have a use as a laxative. Recommending the use of laxatives for weight loss is encouraging dangerous behavior.

I never encouraged it.

You actually wished the OP luck on this plan ... tacit encouragement. You've gone out of your way to defend the practice ... again, tacit encouragement.

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Besides her saying "We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!" about the topic? Or have you not read her posts?

You are mixing up being supportive of other posters with supporting different, proposed alternatives. I believe I've mentioned that it has no medical or science based back up several times. It's important to properly speak to other forum users. There are right and wrong ways to give advice or show support.
  • brower47
    Options

I never encouraged it.

You actually wished the OP luck on this plan ... tacit encouragement. You've gone out of your way to defend the practice ... again, tacit encouragement.

No, I wished her luck on her journey.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Today I learned "though perhaps not advisable" is actually a tacit encouragement. Thanks, Brian!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I never encouraged it.

Which is tacit encouragement. You never said "don't" to her plan. You went out of your way to claim she would receive "a lot of hate" for asking about it.

Now you try acting as though you didn't. Integrity is not something I see present in the content of your posts.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    There's a reason why they tell you not to drink sea water, and it's not because of the fish poop.

The salt water will cause you to become dehydrated. And yes, dehydration can send you to the hospital and cause all sorts of problems.

Best to skip it. And don't drink water with fish poop either. ;)

Funny story - so my old flatmat had two dog, boxers. They were gorgeous. Anyway, one day he loads them in the station wagon and takes them to the beach for the day. Fun had by all, but one of the dogs drinks a heap of salt water.

On the drive home, he is on the freeway doing about 110km/hr, and all of a sudden the dog starts freaking out. Next second - projectile diareah. Being a dog (and not a clever one at that), the dog starts trying to look at its butt to see whats going on so basically starts spinning around, spraying liquid poop the whole time. There's poop all over the windows, the seats, the other dog, the back of my flatmates head... yeah.

He gets into the energency lane and pulls over and gets the dog out but the damage is done. He had to finish the 40 minute drive home in a poop lined car, with two dogs covered in poop, and covered in poop himself. The car never recovered, despite multiple detailings.

So yeah.

Don't do a salt water flush.

Best thing I've read today! Thanks for sharing. My dogs would do this too, I am quite certain. :frowning:
  • brower47
    edited November 2015
    Options

I never encouraged it.

Which is tacit encouragement. You never said "don't" to her plan. You went out of your way to claim she would receive "a lot of hate" for asking about it.

Now you try acting as though you didn't. Integrity is not something I see present in the content of your posts.

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means. You read a lot of ideas into my posts which aren't there. I'm just trying to be more supportive as I was strongly instructed to do. And she has recieved a lot of harshly worded posts concerning her question but no support within those posts.

But I realize now that I'm not being a good forum user. I will stop playing into your desire to use this as an excuse for thread derailment. Good luck in your journey.

Note: by wishing you good luck, I am not encouraging you to do a cleanse.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You are mixing up being supportive of other posters with supporting different, proposed alternatives. I believe I've mentioned that it has no medical or science based back up several times. It's important to properly speak to other forum users. There are right and wrong ways to give advice or show support.

This^

Her posts throughout this thread have been consistent with how we have been asked to behave in the forums.

If you disagree, I politely suggest that you take your grievance up with a mod and don't continue to challenge her about it...

...because that might be considered a violation of the Community Guidelines (all hail).
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Negative-poison.jpg
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out how someone can think drinking salt water is anything more than that--drinking salty water. ? Not sure how anyone could be supportive of that. Actually, steering people away from that sort of thing is being supportive. If no one cared, this would be a thread full of "Go for it!" And "Report back and let us know how your results were!" And "I support you, OP, no matter what you choose to do!"
  • brower47
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out how someone can think drinking salt water is anything more than that--drinking salty water. ? Not sure how anyone could be supportive of that. Actually, steering people away from that sort of thing is being supportive. If no one cared, this would be a thread full of "Go for it!" And "Report back and let us know how your results were!" And "I support you, OP, no matter what you choose to do!"

It's a good thing no one in this thread has done that. It would be terrible.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    The undertones, history, and passive aggressiveness may be missed by newbies and lurkers unfortunately.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The undertones, history, and passive aggressiveness may be missed by newbies and lurkers unfortunately.

(Many have argued that for years here.

Best of luck as you pick up that torch and continue the fight.)

My apologies, OP, for falling victim to others' continued efforts to derail this thread. I will go back to trying to ignore the haters.
  • brower47
    Options

Luckily they can't miss the actual words I wrote.

"Not advisable"

"Don't think there's anything based in science"

"No matter how lacking in medical rationale"

It is possible to be both supportive and not make a poster feel terrible for having simply asked the question.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

"Not advisable"

It is possible to be both supportive and not make a poster feel terrible for having simply asked the question.

Yes indeed. Mocking someone for asking a question is a full proof way of turning them off..

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

"Not advisable"

All of the things you quoted get thrown out of the window after the "but" in your post, which boiled down to "but hey, maybe it does work for you who knows."
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    This thread is why I will *never* ask a question on the MFP forums. The tone gets very condescending very quickly. No thank you. This journey is hard enough. Adults arguing about someone's "integrity" on a post about a practice that is, in all likelihood, ineffective at worst... Jesus, people. Perspective.

Drinking a bunch of saltwater. "Ineffective at worst". Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.