Salt Water Flush?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    This would be similar to the solution one has to drink as part of the prep for a colonoscopy. I had a colonoscopy last year and I hope never to have one again. Getting the solution down in the time given you was miserable. Then you drink lots of water after the solution. The cleansing begins and you spend the better part of a day on the toilet. They give you an IV fluids during the procedure to keep you hydrated. You are asleep during the colonoscopy and I had no discomfort during or after but before was awful. Why awful, because of the prep-solution! I am so glad my Doctor said that there will likely be another screening procedure approved prior to my next screening being due without the awful PREP!

This. I also had a colonoscopy done last year and the cleanse was horrible. Realistically, you'll be lucky to be throwing it up from the nausea before it gets through you. Obviously you're aware of what others have said, but I'm going by the experience that it makes you absolutely miserable. Weak, irritable, and sickness are just a few things that come with a cleanse as such. You've been successful up to this point, which is amazing. Just keep doing what you're doing, and I'd realistically advise your daughter that it's not really a safe practice to take part in.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I was also curious about this So I've just looked it up. You drink 1 litre of warm water which contains 1tablespoon of Himalayan salt. Which I have also just priced up and can be purchased at health shops quite cheaply. It does state that there are no weight loss benefits but may help with gi tract problems, bloating, constipation, IBS Symptoms etc.
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I'm curious to know what it is. Do you drink salt water? Ick.

The body's natural salinity is 9 grams of salt to 991 grams of water. The cleanse recommends 18 grams of salt in 1000 grams of water. This could cause an imbalance in the salinity of the body. At the very least it puts an extra strain on the kidneys as it would have to be removed from your system through urine.

Sea water has a salinity of 35 which is double again of what the cleanse recommends. At this level we expel more water than salt through the urine and cannot rehydrate. Our cells shrink because the water has been sucked out of your cells through osmosis. Unsurprisingly this leads to death.

So...I wouldn't recommend it.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I was also curious about this So I've just looked it up. You drink 1 litre of warm water which contains 1tablespoon of Himalayan salt. Which I have also just priced up and can be purchased at health shops quite cheaply. It does state that there are no weight loss benefits but may help with gi tract problems, bloating, constipation, IBS Symptoms etc.

The bodies natural salinity is 9 grams of salt to 991 grams of water. The cleanse recommends 18 grams of salt in 1000 grams of water. This could cause an imbalance in the salinity of the body. At the very least it puts an extra strain on the kidneys as it would have to be removed from your system through urine.

Sea water has a salinity of 35 which is double again of what the cleanse recommends. At this level we expel more water than salt through the urine and cannot rehydrate. Our cells shrink because the water has been sucked out of your cells through osmosis. Unsurprisingly this leads to death.

This is a great explanation. Hopefully it will show anyone who may be thinking about doing this type of flush/cleanse/detox that it could be potentially harmful.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

The bodies natural salinity is 9 grams of salt to 991 grams of water. The cleanse recommends 18 grams of salt in 1000 grams of water. This could cause an imbalance in the salinity of the body. At the very least it puts an extra strain on the kidneys as it would have to be removed from your system through urine.

Double post by accident ( can't fully delete it because I'm having issues with Android app)
  • nurseginger603
    nurseginger603 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have done it a few times. It does leave you "feeling" less bloated and can be a fast way to clear your colon. Usually not dangerous uless you have kidney issues. The whole point is that the salt pulls extra fluid into the GI system and flushes it through. There are more gentle methods to do this. Belly bloating can often be corrected with a good probiotic. Florastor is a safe and effective brand.

Got a say though, this is the first time logging into the "community". A bit weary with the aggressive and disrespectful tones.

"People will not remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel."

• MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    The things people do to lose weight, even if it kills themselves.

Funny-Facepalm-GIF.gif?gs=a

Then they lose weight, that they didn't intend; via decomposition!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »
    I'm so happy that this thread is still going. It's nice to see that one possible, though perhaps not advisable, weight loss method post is still getting so many views!

It was a great question, OP!

It isn't a weight loss method.

It might have a use as a laxative. Recommending the use of laxatives for weight loss is encouraging dangerous behavior.

How is she recommending this?

Besides her saying "We're all different and what works for one might not work for the next. Good luck!" about the topic? Or have you not read her posts?

You are mixing up being supportive of other posters with supporting different, proposed alternatives. I believe I've mentioned that it has no medical or science based back up several times. It's important to properly speak to other forum users. There are right and wrong ways to give advice or show support.

This^

Her posts throughout this thread have been consistent with how we have been asked to behave in the forums.

If you disagree, I politely suggest that you take your grievance up with a mod and don't continue to challenge her about it...

...because that might be considered a violation of the Community Guidelines (all hail).

However if one is "supporting" (encouraging) dangerous methods, that's also against; the guidelines.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out how someone can think drinking salt water is anything more than that--drinking salty water. ? Not sure how anyone could be supportive of that. Actually, steering people away from that sort of thing is being supportive. If no one cared, this would be a thread full of "Go for it!" And "Report back and let us know how your results were!" And "I support you, OP, no matter what you choose to do!"

Agree 100%!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    srsly%2BIt%2527s%2BTrue%2521%2B-%2BKitty%2BIs%2BNot%2BAmused.jpg

Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

also;
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Train4Foodz, MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.