Salt Water Flush?

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This thread is why I will *never* ask a question on the MFP forums. The tone gets very condescending very quickly. No thank you. This journey is hard enough. Adults arguing about someone's "integrity" on a post about a practice that is, in all likelihood, ineffective at worst... Jesus, people. Perspective.

Actually, at worst, it could kill you.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Happy to see that you're invested in keeping the condescension going!

I'm so with you. LOL
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    And, yes "ineffective at worst." You can't ingest enough saline to KILL you. You'll get sick and throw up first. This is coming from someone with a history of IBS and other bowel issues and has had to use a *kitten* ton (ha) of saline treatments. Y'all need to chill on the catastrophizing and disaster amplification, because it's not useful. It just makes you feel better to trumpet. You're wrong as all f***, but it makes you feel better. So rock on, guys. I'm out (as per always).

Pretty sure dehydration (followed by hospitalization and/or death) is not "ineffective at worst".
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    This thread is why I will *never* ask a question on the MFP forums. The tone gets very condescending very quickly. No thank you. This journey is hard enough. Adults arguing about someone's "integrity" on a post about a practice that is, in all likelihood, ineffective at worst... Jesus, people. Perspective.

It's deadly at worst. Most people would give up before consuming enough to cause death, but someone already dehydrated, with a poor electrolyte balance, or at risk of a cardiac event could die - depending on how concentrated the salt water is and how much is consumed. A few people in Nigeria have died in the past year due to a rumor that drinking salt water could give protection against contracting Ebola.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Well, this post has escalated slowly.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    And, yes "ineffective at worst." You can't ingest enough saline to KILL you. You'll get sick and throw up first. This is coming from someone with a history of IBS and other bowel issues and has had to use a *kitten* ton (ha) of saline treatments. Y'all need to chill on the catastrophizing and disaster amplification, because it's not useful. It just makes you feel better to trumpet. You're wrong as all f***, but it makes you feel better. So rock on, guys. I'm out (as per always).

Yes you can ingest enough to salt to kill you. While it may be rare, it is very very possible. Just because you don't believe it can happen does not mean it is false.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I'm so happy that this thread is still going. It's nice to see that one possible, though perhaps not advisable, weight loss method post is still getting so many views!

It was a great question, OP!

It isn't a weight loss method.

It might have a use as a laxative. Recommending the use of laxatives for weight loss is encouraging dangerous behavior.

+1
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I hear people in Ebola use laxatives for weight loss, and it keeps them Ebola free. Unless it kills them. Me, I just bloat.

Is this sentence an attempt to troll or are you serious ?

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Wow, this post now really illustrates my point about newbies and lurkers not understanding the back story and undertones.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Wow, this post now really illustrates my point about newbies and lurkers not understanding the back story and undertones.

Sure does
This discussion has been closed.