What's The Most DISGUSTING Food Item You've Tasted On Your Weightloss / Fitness Journey?

Options

Replies

• ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Olives, bananas, tilapia, tofu, quinoa, coconut milk, to name a few. Wish I liked it!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There for a while black bean *brownies* were all the rage on MFP. I'll admit never having the balls to try it myself.

Same here. I love anko-flavored desserts, but black bean brownies? I might as well make meatloaf brownies.

Have you had em?

Nope, but I suppose I could try...

They don't taste like meatloaf brownies. They taste like chocolate. Because they are.
    It simply uses beans instead of wheat.

Yup. I'm in the liking black bean brownies camp.

Then again, I have celiac disease. The idea of using other starches to replace wheat in brownies is not far-fetched. Garbanzo bean flour is quite often used in gluten free baking.

Brownies are amenable to conversion to being gluten free because they have so many eggs plus the cocoa powder and sugar in comparison to the amount of flour in the recipe.

Black bean brownies weren't really all that different than any other gluten free brownie I've ever made.

I keep wanting to try some. I think the key is to really blend it well and make sure the beans are rinsed properly.

Yep, that IS the key.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dkingdom1 wrote: »
    Pumpernickel bread. Eee gaad. Also agree with those who said Kale, and also collard greens for me too (depends on how the Kale and Collard Greens were made though, or if I make too much). Celery without Peanut butter and raisins.

Oh my. I do love pumpernickel.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Tinned asparagus, slimy fat yukky worms. I love fresh asparagus but the tinned stuff ewwww

The idea of canned asparagus sounds as horrible as you describe it.

They are pretty nasty.
    Fresh asparagus is divine. Frozen is fine. Tinned is of the devil.
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Spirulina! It's so good for me but it tastes like a swamp smells.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Anything with sucralose in it! I've never purposely bought it, but I bought a new kind of yogurt and didn't read the label. One bite and I knew. I had throw the whole huge container out. And then I accidentally bought sugar free pancake syrup (REALLY? They make that? WHY?). I tasted one drop, knowing it would be bad and --- EWWWH.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    During Thanksgiving, my family stopped at a Russel Stover's candy store as a treat. I love red velvet cake and they had a small bag of sugar-free red velvet cake chocolates I figured I would try. There is nothing that can prepare you for tasting bad chocolate covered vomit (my opinion). They were so bad...but my solace was knowing that I would let my sisters I was meeting up with, experience this taste sensation, because that's the kind of brother I am. >:)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    Liver. I was trying to up my iron intake. Even with tons of hot sauce and sauteed onions, never again.

Thank you for reminding me and ruining my appetite just before Christmas Eve feast :(
    I tried it for the exact same reason. Before I started dieting I was smart enough to stay away based on the smell alone, but loss of common sense is a known side effect of dieting.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Liver is really good, but it has to be finely sliced CALF liver, not the other stuff, and pan fried, served with home made mash, sauteed onions and crispy bacon with some mustard on the side. OMG I now have a Calf Liver craving mmmmmmm
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything that is supposed to be healthy disguised as something unhealthy (ex - black bean brownies, yummy sounding protein bars). If I have to add syrup, sugar, or sauce to choke it down, it isn't worth the effort. I'd rather stick with something I can stomach in its original state.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I feel like a weirdo because the things people are listing as disgusting I don't mind, and in some cases really like. I love olives, tried kale earlier this year and fell in love if not for the price tag, shirataki noodles went well with me if not (again) for the price tag, I could virtually live off of cottage cheese, and wouldn't be able to live without oatmeal. Sometimes I take a head of lettuce and eat it like a snack leaf by leaf while watching a movie, no dressing needed, replaced by baby cucumbers sometimes. I tried tofu once and loved it, but I wouldn't buy it again because it's expensive. PB2 and artificial sweeteners are diet savers. Dates rarely make it into my house because I would eat the full package in one setting. Greek yogurt sandwiches are a daily staple, and chamomile tea is something I crave every now and then. A tuna salad is one of my easiest and tastiest solutions for a protein kick. What's up with cilantro by the way? I don't mind it at all.

What makes me feel even weirder is that imagining bacon wrapped things made me feel blech, while thinking about lentils made me want to try that lentil loaf so badly, and dried fish soaked in lye sounds like a great idea although I never tried it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I feel like a weirdo because the things people are listing as disgusting I don't mind, and in some cases really like.

(some good stuff snipped)

What's up with cilantro by the way? I don't mind it at all.

Cilantro: To some people, it tastes like soap. Others find it bitter. There's a genetic component, though there's debate about how big a role it plays. See, for example, Love To Hate Cilantro? It's In Your Genes And Maybe, In Your Head .

Like you, I love many of the things other report finding disgusting. I'll happily eat the oatmeal, greek yogurt, kale, olives and more that others reject. But life is toooo short to eat things that are disgusting, no matter how good for me they may be.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I feel like a weirdo because the things people are listing as disgusting I don't mind, and in some cases really like. I love olives, tried kale earlier this year and fell in love if not for the price tag, shirataki noodles went well with me if not (again) for the price tag, I could virtually live off of cottage cheese, and wouldn't be able to live without oatmeal. Sometimes I take a head of lettuce and eat it like a snack leaf by leaf while watching a movie, no dressing needed, replaced by baby cucumbers sometimes. I tried tofu once and loved it, but I wouldn't buy it again because it's expensive. PB2 and artificial sweeteners are diet savers. Dates rarely make it into my house because I would eat the full package in one setting. Greek yogurt sandwiches are a daily staple, and chamomile tea is something I crave every now and then. A tuna salad is one of my easiest and tastiest solutions for a protein kick. What's up with cilantro by the way? I don't mind it at all.

What makes me feel even weirder is that imagining bacon wrapped things made me feel blech, while thinking about lentils made me want to try that lentil loaf so badly, and dried fish soaked in lye sounds like a great idea although I never tried it.

My guess is that you like pungent foods, since some of those items; tastes like that. Cilantro to me is pungent. It smells like smelly feet & if smelly feet had a taste (I don't know), I assume; that that's what it'd taste like. Other pungent foods to me're: cantaloupe, olives, deviled eggs, peas; ricotta cheese, milk & chocolate (especially milk chocolate). I'd never eat cilantro or cantaloupe again but as for the others, they're edible if they're combined with something else; to mask the pungent taste. Nothing was able to mask the taste of cilantro or cantaloupe, so that's why I won't ever consume them again.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I feel like a weirdo because the things people are listing as disgusting I don't mind, and in some cases really like.

(some good stuff snipped)

What's up with cilantro by the way? I don't mind it at all.

Cilantro: To some people, it tastes like soap. Others find it bitter. There's a genetic component, though there's debate about how big a role it plays. See, for example, Love To Hate Cilantro? It's In Your Genes And Maybe, In Your Head .

Like you, I love many of the things other report finding disgusting. I'll happily eat the oatmeal, greek yogurt, kale, olives and more that others reject. But life is toooo short to eat things that are disgusting, no matter how good for me they may be.

Well, I'll sit with the oatmeal-Greek yogurt-kale people... but the olives? No thank you.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    olives
    avocado
    celery
    liver
    kidney
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Wow I love a lot of things people hate. It is so interesting how people can have such different tastes.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Almond yogurt. The stuff is just vile to me!
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Vegan "bacon". It smelt like I was cooking plastic but I tasted it anyway and immediately spat it out. It was the most revolting thing I've ever had in my mouth. Thankfully I'm now eating real meat again.