MFP New Years Resolutions (the lighter side)

Options

Replies

• joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Oh! I guess we'll never be friends *cries*. I actually weigh in stones just because it's the most familiar but am happy with pounds and kilos too (and actually put pounds when noting a milestone for my international friends). I'm a multi-national multi-cultural multi-measurement sort!

Okay, quick sidebar if you'll permit what I'm sure is a very dumb question. What does your scale show? Kilos? Pounds? Or does it actually show stones? Sorry, I'm sure this is one of those questions half of you are laughing at, but least a few others are curious about as well, lol.

I think in metric, however I weigh in lbs (what kind of abbreviation is that!) because it is more granular ( 1 kg = 2.2 lbs). My scale (bought in the USA) can be set to show stones, kilos or pounds... SOME Americans are not insular :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Oh! I guess we'll never be friends *cries*. I actually weigh in stones just because it's the most familiar but am happy with pounds and kilos too (and actually put pounds when noting a milestone for my international friends). I'm a multi-national multi-cultural multi-measurement sort!

Okay, quick sidebar if you'll permit what I'm sure is a very dumb question. What does your scale show? Kilos? Pounds? Or does it actually show stones? Sorry, I'm sure this is one of those questions half of you are laughing at, but least a few others are curious about as well, lol.

I can pick but it has stones and pounds, just pounds or kilos.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I resolve to stop being a stubborn American and work a bit more in the metric system, such that I can stop skipping over all threads written in the latter because I have no idea if losing 15 kg is a big deal or not. I'll also someday remember what a stone is and better support those across the pond.

I still have no idea what a stone is but I got the metric system down!

I pledge not to immediately delete anyone on my FL who weighs themselves in stones. What kind of 19th century BS... *breathe*...

I record in pounds on MFP but do it in stones and pounds in my little notebook - Every time I lose a stone its a mega milestone and keeps me happy. It's just so much more satisfying than just pounds or kilos lol

• dkingdom1
    dkingdom1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I got another one: I will try not to cringe at all the girls in the blogilates forum that say something like "I need to eat clean", or "eat clean this, eat clean that". Lol. I learned that imo, clean eating is overrated (And learned it the hard way. It worked for 6 months until I lost weight too quickly, then my hunger signals went out of whack and I regained all the weight and then some). It's only now that I know when I'm hungry or not, but it's still a bit hard not to overconsume desserts, pastas, white breads, and the like. Not saying it doesn't work for weight loss, but it's not the ONLY way to lose weight.

I will also laugh at Freelee the Banana Girl and any of her crooks and nannies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I will 100% support every OP no matter the post….

I tried that. It was excruciating. It didn't work for me but what doesn't work for me might work for you. We're all different. Good luck!

i support your decision to not support me....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    dkingdom1 wrote: »
    I got another one: I will try not to cringe at all the girls in the blogilates forum that say something like "I need to eat clean", or "eat clean this, eat clean that". Lol. I learned that imo, clean eating is overrated (And learned it the hard way. It worked for 6 months until I lost weight too quickly, then my hunger signals went out of whack and I regained all the weight and then some). It's only now that I know when I'm hungry or not, but it's still a bit hard not to overconsume desserts, pastas, white breads, and the like. Not saying it doesn't work for weight loss, but it's not the ONLY way to lose weight.

I will also laugh at Freelee the Banana Girl and any of her crooks and nannies.

Oh yeah... stay clear of clean eating threads too. And keto. But if you sent me a friend request then insist on switching to keto because it's apparently a miracle solution, it's fair game.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I will 100% support every OP no matter the post….

I tried that. It was excruciating. It didn't work for me but what doesn't work for me might work for you. We're all different. Good luck!

i support your decision to not support me....

Thanks. I feel supported.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I resolve to continue to ignore those posters who enter a thread clearly aimed at vegans/vegetarians only to do their best to dismiss any validity of a vegan/vegetarian diet. This usually means they eventually resort to posting something along the lines of 'bacon tastes so good tho'. Also will ignore the way a person's decision not to financially support the cruelty involved in meat/dairy farming is apparently seen as a character weakness by some. On a lighter note, going to stop playing Soda Crush so much (poor little sweeties - sic) and will continue to weigh in stones/lbs because I prefer that and free to choose; stones/lbs display on my nearly-new digital UK bathroom scales with option for kg. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I resolve to stop being a stubborn American and work a bit more in the metric system, such that I can stop skipping over all threads written in the latter because I have no idea if losing 15 kg is a big deal or not. I'll also someday remember what a stone is and better support those across the pond.

I still have no idea what a stone is but I got the metric system down!

I pledge not to immediately delete anyone on my FL who weighs themselves in stones. What kind of 19th century BS... *breathe*...

I weigh every morning in stones and then I convert in my head and log in pounds ...@tincanonastring :bigsmile:

@brightsideofpink it shows stones or kilos or pounds dependent on setting ...I like stones ...I know what 11 stone 6 is (160lbs) and I'm in maintenance so easy

I can't be doing with kilos though ..nasty things
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I resolve to continue to ignore those posters who enter a thread clearly aimed at vegans/vegetarians only to do their best to dismiss any validity of a vegan/vegetarian diet. This usually means they eventually resort to posting something along the lines of 'bacon tastes so good tho'. Also will ignore the way a person's decision not to financially support the cruelty involved in meat/dairy farming is apparently seen as a character weakness by some.

I resolve to continue to support vegans/vegetarians even though I am an omnivore :)

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    It just sounds so onerous and mathful. However, having pledged to respect you weirdos, I won't judge. Out loud. Anymore.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    It just sounds so onerous and mathful. However, having pledged to respect you weirdos, I won't judge. Out loud. Anymore.

No math (or maths to this Brit), the scale does it for me! Also on that, MFP shows stones but my Garmin app is in pounds, I like seeing both.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    People talking about conversions and notebooks...

post-58615-Chevy-Chase-no-math-SNL-gif-Im-IvKX.gif
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I resolve to continue to support vegans/vegetarians even though I am an omnivore :)

Aw, thanks! :)
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    People talking about conversions and notebooks...

post-58615-Chevy-Chase-no-math-SNL-gif-Im-IvKX.gif

Haha right? It needs to be simple (at a push with a calculator) and fast. Even just figuring out where I put down the damn pen would be too much effort.
  • krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I will NOT assume that since this is the first time I've seen you at the gym and you look like you are trying to lose ALL your weight in one session on the elliptical machine that you are a new years resolution-er and in four weeks you will be a distant memory.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    krdews wrote: »
    I will NOT assume that since this is the first time I've seen you at the gym and you look like you are trying to lose ALL your weight in one session on the elliptical machine that you are a new years resolution-er and in four weeks you will be a distant memory.

I will.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I will.

Me too. I did. Well, the 500 people that suddenly appeared in the park in shiny new kit, trying to run or cycle, on 2nd January. I almost want to wear a big badge saying I'm not new, I do this all the time!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I will.

Me too. I did. Well, the 500 people that suddenly appeared in the park in shiny new kit, trying to run or cycle, on 2nd January. I almost want to wear a big badge saying I'm not new, I do this all the time!

Anyone brand new to running or cycling who starts now in Chicago is welcome -- most take the winter off. The gym, eh, I'm skipping for a couple of weeks.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

A stone is 14 pounds...I sometimes do the math and post it in the thread.

When I think of stones, I think of pebbles. 14 pounds isn't a pebble; it's a boulder (to me)!